test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Federation Star Ships

I've been a backer from day one of STO, and, of late, I can't help but notice that EVERTHING centers around the Federation, and, the Federation alone, WHERE!!!! are the T6 26th century Kingon/Romulan ships, and WHERE!! are the supposed Romulan Bridge Packs that have been promised to us since the release of the Romulan faction, HECK!!!!, 90% of the none federation ships have bridge interiors only, and, you can't explore the inside of ships, LIKE WE WHERE PROMISED!!. OH, I know why, because, the head of Cryptic is a Federation loving lacky who has no concept on what players wanted, they take out the pvp instances, because they HATE seeing the Federtation getting their asses whooped nearly everytime by creative and talented ppl who KNOWS how to setup their ships for pvp. Maybe its TIME FOR THE HEAD GM, or, arrogant STO exopnophobic management to step aside and hire a group that TAKES ALL FACTIONS INTO ACCOUNT!!!, not just the one they favour. If this keeps up, I'll delete the game, from my hard drive, WHICH means, you've lost a lifer who was ALWAYS BUYING THE DLC's.

Comments

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Happy trails
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Nice sentence structure. Clearly writing is not your forte.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I've been a backer from day one of STO, and, of late, I can't help but notice that EVERTHING centers around the Federation, and, the Federation alone, WHERE!!!! are the T6 26th century Kingon/Romulan ships, and WHERE!! are the supposed Romulan Bridge Packs that have been promised to us since the release of the Romulan faction, HECK!!!!, 90% of the none federation ships have bridge interiors only, and, you can't explore the inside of ships, LIKE WE WHERE PROMISED!!. OH, I know why, because, the head of Cryptic is a Federation loving lacky who has no concept on what players wanted, they take out the pvp instances, because they HATE seeing the Federtation getting their asses whooped nearly everytime by creative and talented ppl who KNOWS how to setup their ships for pvp. Maybe its TIME FOR THE HEAD GM, or, arrogant STO exopnophobic management to step aside and hire a group that TAKES ALL FACTIONS INTO ACCOUNT!!!, not just the one they favour. If this keeps up, I'll delete the game, from my hard drive, WHICH means, you've lost a lifer who was ALWAYS BUYING THE DLC's.

I couldn't help but notice your pain! Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    khan5000 wrote: »

I couldn't help but notice your pain! Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Sybok, you look... different.

:p
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »

I appreciate this response. Both responses really, but especially Khan5k's.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I think we're about to set a record for "wall of text, I may or may not quit, DOOOOMMMMMM threads" in a one week period.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    This isn't really a wall of text tho @salazarraze . It is however an I quite thread...so IBFL.
    Yeah this is a shorter one for sure but it falls in line with "I've been playing since beta, blah blah blah...."
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Ill give ur stuffz a good home when you leave
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    In the 26th century the romulans and the klingons are part of the Federation.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    In before the "I QUIT" thread lock!

I fail to understand the logic of "they don't make more KDF stuff so I quit", when the reason they don't make more KDF stuff is because there aren't enough KDF players.

Damage is done. KDF and Roms will always be second class now due to low numbers for several years in a row, unless there is some crazy demand for them on the consoles - if they are even playable on the consoles.

They still had their own ships as of the 29th century, though. However, by the 31st apparently they no longer do.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    WHICH means, you've lost a lifer who was ALWAYS BUYING THE DLC's.
    So... you bought all those Fed ships and contributed to the problem you're complaining about?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    baxslash001baxslash001 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    No, I haven't bought all those Fed. Ships, to be honest, other then the free ships, I'm only after 1 other Fed ship, and, that is the Fleet Avenger. But, still, as for my writing skills, I've been a short story writer for years. The point I am trying to make, is, supply something, and, you'll have people asking for more, supply nothing, and, people would be desolutioned. Clearly, the Klingons and Romulans, and, many other species are all over the Galaxy by the 29th century, and, many have their own ships.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I've been a backer from day one of STO, and, of late, I can't help but notice that EVERTHING centers around the Federation, and, the Federation alone...

It took you this long to notice the discrepancy? I noticed it when I started playing STO in January 2014.

In 2015 Cryptic released some metrics which included some of the following information:

- 3.7m captains
    - 2.5m accounts
    - Faction Breakdown for captains:
    - - Federation ~ 73%
    - - KDF ~ 16%
    - - Romulan Republic ~11%

The AoY Expansion definitely does not help improve the metrics for the KDF and RR factions. At least when I purchase the T6 Enteral it will be the first T6 science starship from the C-Store that my KDF and RR science captains can use. It's not much, but at least it is something... a cross faction T6 starship for only 3,000 Zen. 2,400 Zen when there is a ship sale; which is when I will purchase it.

Regarding the AoY Expansion... I will create a captain for if Cryptic gives a free slot (they likely will), but I will probably only play the TOS era missions before I put that captain on the back burner for an extended period of time.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Ugh.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    No, I haven't bought all those Fed. Ships, to be honest, other then the free ships, I'm only after 1 other Fed ship, and, that is the Fleet Avenger. But, still, as for my writing skills, I've been a short story writer for years. The point I am trying to make, is, supply something, and, you'll have people asking for more, supply nothing, and, people would be desolutioned. Clearly, the Klingons and Romulans, and, many other species are all over the Galaxy by the 29th century, and, many have their own ships.

You need to work on your spelling, sentence structure and paragraphs.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I've been a backer from day one of STO, and, of late, I can't help but notice that EVERTHING centers around the Federation, and, the Federation alone...

It took you this long to notice the discrepancy? I noticed it when I started playing STO in January 2014.

In 2015 Cryptic released some metrics which included some of the following information:

- 3.7m captains
    - 2.5m accounts
    - Faction Breakdown for captains:
    - - Federation ~ 73%
    - - KDF ~ 16%
    - - Romulan Republic ~11%

The AoY Expansion definitely does not help improve the metrics for the KDF and RR factions. At least when I purchase the T6 Enteral it will be the first T6 science starship from the C-Store that my KDF and RR science captains can use. It's not much, but at least it is something... a cross faction T6 starship for only 3,000 Zen. 2,400 Zen when there is a ship sale; which is when I will purchase it.

Regarding the AoY Expansion... I will create a captain for if Cryptic gives a free slot (they likely will), but I will probably only play the TOS era missions before I put that captain on the back burner for an extended period of time.

This is exactly why the TOS faction is only getting the tutorial missions as exclusives, and there won't be anymore big factions. People screamed they wanted to play Klingons at launch, so they squeezed them in, and very few people actually made toons. Then they said the reason they didn't play KDF is they weren't a full faction, so they make them one, and still very few toons were made. People said they failed because didn't have enough content, so when they made the Romulans they spent a full year making content so they would be full and robust at launch - and even fewer people made toons. In the end, what the devs learned is that people's vocal opinions here on the forums have very little bearing on the game's population as a whole. The majority of the population only wants to play Feds, no matter how enticing they make the other choices.

Making content for the other factions, other than alternate dialog options and carbon copy ships, is a waste of resources from the perspective of the people counting the money. Multiple devs have said that in order to make the other factions full equivalents of the Feds at this point would take a year's worth of dedication for each faction, and during that time they would need to neglect the other 3/4th of the playerbase who play Fed while the do it.

The battle is over. No amount of wishing or complaining is going to give the KDF and Roms any more than they have today.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    arrogant STO exopnophobic management

Exopnophobia is probably the fear of being outside of pno?

My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    IB4TL! Really, grow up OP.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    Ugh.

i am in agreement with ya *facepalms*
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Assuming that because this thread remains unlocked, we are having a reasoned discussion here...
    What from the Star Trek IP would ever lead someone to believe that Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Xindi, or any non Federation faction is going to get the same focus? There have been 13 movies to date, counting Beyond. How many of those revolve around a Non-Federation hero ship/crew? There have been 6 television series to date. How many of those revolve around a Non-Federation hero ship/crew? Absolutely, the Klingons and Romulans have been by now painted into more than a caricature of evil "otherness", but the audience connection has always been to the Federation. Much like any video game IP, it can be quite fun to play the "bad guys", but you can't be surprised they never get the same attention as the "good guys". That's just how storytelling works.
    That said, if there are promises that once were made regarding KDF or ROM content being of complete parity with Federation, I can't speak to that. In the years since I've been playing, though, I haven't seen any such promises. I'm sure there are development time and budget considerations that come into play there. If you've got a small team of engineers and a limited budget, somebody's going to get the short stick. And it's never going to be the Hero of the story.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    . But, still, as for my writing skills, I've been a short story writer for years. The point I am trying to make, is, supply something, and, you'll have people asking for more, supply nothing, and, people would be desolutioned. Clearly, the Klingons and Romulans, and, many other species are all over the Galaxy by the 29th century, and, many have their own ships.

I hope for his sake he never submits his stories to any publishers, as the response from editors would leave him quite desolutioned. In other words, he'd get hung out to dry.​​

or hired by STO
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »

whole bunch of good arguments here

You have some excellent points. With regards to comparisons with those "other sci-fi games", I can only guess that most likely budget and staffing would be the reasons/excuses given. I couldn't even begin to guess at the validity of said reasons/excuses.
    It's very interesting to know the time scale differences between the Romulan/KDF content development. That's remarkable. I'd guess it's probably also a "focus" thing because LoR was an entire expansion focused on those Roms. We can wish, I guess, that a near-future expansion will be Legacy of Q'onos?

For what it's worth, I don't actually feel partisan in the matter. I really enjoy the four KDF characters on my roster. And I eagerly welcome any new content that pushes back the boredom of grinding between updates. I'm mostly curious why many folks are so violently angry about it.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Star Wars Canon has seven movies-total. That's it for Star Wars Canon. That's actual canon source material. Star trek has more material on Klingon culture than the entire star wars Canon has on the Sith.

Actually, Star Wars has 8 movies to draw from for canon material. The one you are not counting is Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series is also considered canon by Disney. The current animate series, Rebels, is canon as well.

Additionally, all Star Wars novels that are published after Disney has acquired the LucasFilm from George Lucas are considered canon.

http://www.starwars.com/news/disney-publishing-worldwide-and-random-house-announce-relaunch-of-star-wars-adult-fiction-line
    Going forward, Lucasfilm has begun mapping out the narrative future of Star Wars storytelling that will appear on film and television and in other media so that all projects will benefit from real-time collaboration and alignment. The future Star Wars novels from Disney Publishing Worldwide and Del Rey Books will now be part of the official Star Wars canon as reflected on upcoming TV and movie screens.
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276

First of all, have a cookie and calm the TRIBBLE down. Ships are coming. My tribble says there's gonna be a romulan carrier and a new klingon raider in the game soon for instance. Bridges? I don't remember when was the last time I visited mine or in case of some ships I never even visited them to begin with and why should anyone? There's nothing to do there. Just waste your time watching a loading screen for no reason. PvP? I'm a PvE guy so don't have much to comment on that.
  • Options
    Star Wars Canon has seven movies-total. That's it for Star Wars Canon. That's actual canon source material. Star trek has more material on Klingon culture than the entire star wars Canon has on the Sith.

yet somehow, 'those other games' (SWG, SWTOR, etc.) managed to produce multiple, viable factions and were very successful at it, and at maintaining faction diversity (different play between factions-abilities not shared.)

The "but...canon " argument doesn't wash.

Star Wars has 7 movies, 8 seasons of TV show, several novels, and several comic books in the current canon, and they regularly draw from the hundreds of legacy canon sources to add to all of them. They have had alien races as part of the core story from the very beginning.

Star Trek has always been human-centric and Federation specific, with all other races and characters there to reinforce the human aspect of the story. Spock and Torres were half human, Worf was raised by humans, T'Pol and Phlox were the fist aliens to serve on a human ship. DS9 was a little more diverse, but in the end it was all about how various races get along with the Federation in general, and Humans specifically.

You can't compare that to Star Wars, who had a Wookiee main character in the first movie, worked directly with aliens by the second one, had multiple alien supporting characters in the second trilogy, and Twi'lek, and Togruta protagonists leading the TV franchises.