test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

honest question for the devies

here is a honest question for the people who make this game. if you were playing this game not as a dev but just as a fan of trek. and a bunch of cool new ships from the movies are added. would you prefer they be in a lock box that you have to gamble for or a straight up purchase in the game store? i'd really like to know what the devies would honestly prefer if they were just a player like us.

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    here is a honest question for the people who make this game. if you were playing this game not as a dev but just as a fan of trek. and a bunch of cool new ships from the movies are added. would you prefer they be in a lock box that you have to gamble for or a straight up purchase in the game store? i'd really like to know what the devies would honestly prefer if they were just a player like us.

Technically when they are off the clock from working on the game, the ones who play the game on personal accounts ARE players. They try to build the game from a player's perspective.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    No dev would ever answer this question.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • ripanton#1911 ripanton Member Posts: 10 New User
    > @garaks31 said:
    > and your suggestion is to how the game keeps the light on ?!

Did you even read? He didn't say they should be given away for free.
    3000 zen for a acc unlock brings less income than lock box sales
    > @garaks31 said:
    > 3000 zen for a acc unlock brings less income than lock box sales

so are you saying they should only put ships in lock boxes then because they would make more money?
    z store sales have their use so does the lock boxes. i am just asking as a simple merchants who wants to make a good deal. if the op suggest a significant discount on the new ships, whether he has any suggestions to how the game keeps the light on ?
    > @garaks31 said:
    > z store sales have their use so does the lock boxes. i am just asking as a simple merchants who wants to make a good deal. if the op suggest a significant discount on the new ships, whether he has any suggestions to how the game keeps the light on ?

what are you talking about? no one said a discount. he asked if the devs were players like us would they rather be able to buy something they want from the game store(which is spending money and keeping lights on) or have to gamble for it. and its a fair question. but of course they wont answer.
    > @garaks31 said:
    > z store sales have their use so does the lock boxes. i am just asking as a simple merchants who wants to make a good deal. if the op suggest a significant discount on the new ships, whether he has any suggestions to how the game keeps the light on ?

what are you talking about? no one said a discount. he asked if the devs were players like us would they rather be able to buy something they want from the game store(which is spending money and keeping lights on) or have to gamble for it. and its a fair question. but of course they wont answer.

He's suggesting putting it in the c-store instead of a box would be a discount. I personally don't agree with this mentality when it comes to highly popular ships, as I suspect highly popular faction centric ships sold on the c-store would net more than if they were put in a lockbox, despite costing less overall to obtain, while less popular alien ships would net more through lockboxes.

Cryptic will never release sales numbers on these things for us to compare, so it's all pure speculation on both sides of this argument.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited June 2016
    > @garaks31 said:

i was reading between the lines. and have assumed that you have the same ability.

do you really believe that z store purchases are enouch to keep the game alive ?

wrong use of the lock boxes is gamble. right use is profit.
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »

The sad truth. If you have your heart set on the Alternate Reality Enterprise or Vengeance, start mowing lawns now or give up your dreams.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Customer wants something cheaper. Company wishing to say in business ignores them. People who do want it enough to pay those prices fund the business. The universe continues serenely on its way.
  • sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    not sure what some people are so mad about. im just asking the devies how they would feel as players like us. that is a completely valid question.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter

Lemme think for a minutue...
    ncwpdRS.png
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    them burgers ain't gonna flip themselves!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited June 2016
    Lemme think for a minutue...
    ncwpdRS.png

the ferengi looks at z they will be z store items

Post edited by garaks31 on
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »

But 4000 Zen and a character bound item ,would.

Most people have a problem with the gambling aspect, or the utter daylight robbery of paying over $200 for one ship in the lobi store.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

the lobi ships are much cheaper on the exc. than buying it with lobi
  • mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    I really dont understand some of the replies in this thread. Some people are acting like its a choice between lockboxes or not paying the bills. Like there is no middle ground. But 99% of the businesses in this world make their money by selling a good/service for a fixed price. I dont understand why some people think its so unreasonable to think that a company actually makes its money without requiring their customers to gamble. And that is all a sepereteissue from what the op asked. He didnt ask about maketing strategies. He just asked how the devs would feel as players. Wich way they would rather get a ship. NOthing wrong with asking that.
    What I don't understand is people thinking the lock box model doesn't work for Cryptic. The only people who can see the numbers KEEP DOING IT. That should tell you all you need to know about "Oh, seven times as many people would pay $30 as there are people who will pay $200." Obviously NOT. Whether the calculation is strictly financial or if there's additional restrictions place on them by the license holder, the observable fact is they've got a model that they like and continue to exercise.
    nikeix wrote: »
    What I don't understand is people thinking the lock box model doesn't work for Cryptic.

nobody said they didnt work. but thats also not what anybody asked. the question asked was if the devs were just players like us would they rather be able to buy a new ship they wanted out of the store or have to gamble for it.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    They are human beings. Absent any other considerations, of course they'd want the cheaper options with guaranteed delivery.

But this is a total BS question, because there obviously are other considerations. The profitability of their company affects their compensation and continued employment. You're essentially asking them to ignore their need to eat in order to relate to your own, all-important point of view on the subject of pixelated space ships.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

you will never get an answer, devs when they have the time to play the game and are off the clock have their own player accounts which doesnt have any special benefits. they are no different than the rest of us off the clock.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    i heard cryptic employees get discount on z store. give me a job as janitor ,gartner or something.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    The answer to this question is:

Yes, I believe that the Devs, as players and humans, if they were going to be given the choice of "semi-cheap C-store purchase" or "highly likely to be massively expensive lockbox acquisition" - they're gonna vote "C-store".

However, as business(wo)men, they would obviously prefer the massive influx of monies that the lockbox system provides the company to do things like keep them employed and paying for all the stuff to keep keeping them employed.

Obviously, and possibly taking into account that due to their Dev status they're already allowed to play with all the toys - the final answer does not matter to them in any way, shape, or form - they will do what they feel is best, not only from a player retention standpoint, but long term merchandising standpoint and attempt to balance the plethora of licenses that it's taking to even get "JJ-verse" ships from Paramount into a CBS "property"...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    hanover2 wrote: »
    You're essentially asking them to ignore their need to eat in order to relate to your own, all-important point of view on the subject of pixelated space ships.

That is strawman logic. "ignore their need to eat" suggests they wouldn't still be making plenty of money selling ships $30 a pop in the game store, which is false.
    ProTip: Never think a person involved with the production of a game looks at it the way a player does, even when they're 'just playing'. You don't stop and think, "Ooh, that bit was ugly. I should totally fix that when I go in on Monday." It's a different relationship entirely and to pretend that it doesn't color every interaction they have with the product is just fooling yourself.
  • umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    ProTip: Never think a person involved with the production of a game looks at it the way a player does, even when they're 'just playing'. You don't stop and think, "Ooh, that bit was ugly. I should totally fix that when I go in on Monday." It's a different relationship entirely and to pretend that it doesn't color every interaction they have with the product is just fooling yourself.

we should not assume how they think at all. We should let them answer for themselves.
  • benirving#4449 benirving Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:No...strawman logic requires an absurd statement that nobody claims. The fact that you think a few 30 dollar account unlocks can keep the lights on and keep the devs paid is absurd..

What do you mean "a few"? What data are you basing that statement on? Because from the looks of things flying around in game, the majority of ships are from the game store. There are a lot more than "a few" purchases being made.
    If I went on the record, in any capacity, saying that I disagreed with a major business practice my employer had used for years, I'd probably get in at least a little trouble, if not terminated outright.

No dev would ever risk potential disciplinary action to answer a player question. Their opinions on this topic will only ever be heard in meetings behind the scenes, meetings we will never know anything about.
    eaY7Xxu.png