test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's not over: Axanar update

azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 11,135 Arc User
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

Robert Heinlein

#BringBackJoshuaRiker

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    What? You mean JJ Abrams isn't a reliable spokesman for Paramount's legal department?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    I am a bit unclear on the timeline, but did Paramount offer to settle, and then Axamar sued Paramount. So Paramount decided to cancel the offer to settle?​​
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    I am a bit unclear on the timeline, but did Paramount offer to settle, and then Axamar sued Paramount. So Paramount decided to cancel the offer to settle?​​

CBS and Paramount decided in a show of good faith it looks like that they were willing the settle. bu Axanar wants to ruin itself it seems.

CBS and Paramount should not be playing around with Alec, they should just shut him down for good. dont waste any more effort looking for a compromise, no quarter asked, no quarter given.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    So they were apparently in talks to settle, which would have included creating fan film guidelines, but the Axanar team decided to file for a either a declaration of fair use or a non infringement claim, plus to have their court fees covered. By doing this, Paramount and CBS have been made into the defendants, which means they are required by law to file a response. The Judge has ordered them to continue discussing the possibility of a settlement. In the case they don't come to an agreement their trial begins Jan 31.

That's my understanding of it anyways.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »

CBS and Paramount decided in a show of good faith it looks like that they were willing the settle. bu Axanar wants to ruin itself it seems.

CBS and Paramount should not be playing around with Alec, they should just shut him down for good. dont waste any more effort looking for a compromise, no quarter asked, no quarter given.
    Yeah it's like Davy Jones said:

Random Crew guy: What do we do with the survivors?
    Davy Jones: There are no survivors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo9TmpxMU0M
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    basically in order to get permit number 838, without getting crazy. axanar decided to search for permit number 839, with the state agency employees. i do this all the time with state agency's. it works like a charm ...

https://youtu.be/GJZ194tOSz4
  • Options
    the0infamousthe0infamous Member Posts: 528 Arc User
    it seems the pro-CBS/establishment people dont understand whats going on behind the scenes. Axanar did absolutely nothing wrong. and even if they did, theyre US, the establishment is NOT for us.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    it seems the pro-CBS/establishment people dont understand whats going on behind the scenes. Axanar did absolutely nothing wrong. and even if they did, theyre US, the establishment is NOT for us.
    Are we going to have to review the relevant law again?

Alec Peters isn't "us", he isn't for "us", he's for making a promotional piece for Ares Studios so he can make money off his other films, and if that winds up making CBS/Paramount fire up their legal team to pull every last piece of fanfic and fan art off the internet, he doesn't care. He took Kickstarter money on false pretenses, by his own admission hasn't produced a damn thing (he couldn't even come up with a script for the movie when the court requested it), and is in general playing folks like you for fools. And you're letting him.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I support CBS because Peters scammed Star Trek fans to get the money needed to build a commercial film studio that he planned to use for other stuff. He's had well over a year a million in donations and doesn't even have a script for Axanar.... not even an unfinished rough draft.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Man, that dude has bowling ball sized cajones...

I hope CBS/Paramount uses them to make several strikes against this charlatan.
    smh
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Alec Peters doesn't represent me, that's for damn sure.

And, it's no secret that I am an Abrams fan... but while I understand why he did what he did, he looks foolish now (in front of a fan base that doesn't need motivation to ridicule him).

And, as far as I understand it, settlement can happen at any time... so, just because it didn't hit the Abrams/Lin "prediction," it could still happen.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    What? You mean JJ Abrams isn't a reliable spokesman for Paramount's legal department?​​

Rumor has it he was the legal departments secret weapon - if things went badly they would send him in to blind the judge with lens flares
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Good God, Peters is such a clueless dipshit.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Alec Peters doesn't represent me, that's for damn sure.

And, it's no secret that I am an Abrams fan... but while I understand why he did what he did, he looks foolish now (in front of a fan base that doesn't need motivation to ridicule him).

And, as far as I understand it, settlement can happen at any time... so, just because it didn't hit the Abrams/Lin "prediction," it could still happen.

i could of sworn i saw pigs fly outside my window a moment ago.

Alec doesnt want to settle, he wants to run his axanar thing into the ground, i mentioned in a previous thread that his arrogance will never allow him to think he failed, you can not reason with such sheer ignorance. the only way around is is by bulldozing it down and showing what he really has, i suspect he has nothing and i mean nothing to work with, hes just doing it because he can.

no doubt that money used in donations, some of it when on his court case. the man is a bloody shambles and he knows it but will never acknowledge it. the only way to deal with someone like this is to put them in their place, if alec goes into hiding afterwards and his ego takes a bruising then he has finally learning something.

dont mess around with him, just take him out the picture. he and he alone.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    This isn't your run-of-the-mill fanfilm situation. CBS Studios has generally been pretty chill with fan projects as long as they aren't for profit. The Axanar people are wanting to create their own studio for non-ST projects and they're dipping into the Axanar kickstarter funds for the payroll.

But, with people on the internet being the way they are, I fully anticipate inconvenient things like "facts" to get thrown out the window to make room for some good old-fashioned fan persecution complexes at the hands of the evil Big Hollywood Studios and their villainous lawyers. Sprinkle a little bit of Abrams Derangement Syndrome on top of it for good measure and you have some beautiful fabricated outrage.

People love feeling victimized, and even more people love a good underdog story, regardless of what actually happened.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg