test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Not Another Grind Fest: Temporal Reputation

Comments

• Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    I just wish they'd get rid of the two tiered money system to buy reputation gear. It should just cost marks, period, end of story. No other item you have to gain to purchase the rep gear like the ancient power cells etc....
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    like I said in an other thread, for me this rep system is over-used. if only they had a way to upgrade the rep gears in the rep system with marks and dil (at a reasonable cost of course), this would have made a small difference.

the rep system was a good idea, but now we have too many of reputations

i'm not against the grind, I like the dyson bz (ground), defera, kobali, Risa, some stfs etc; but enough is enough, something new, please (not like the badlands bz which is just a copy of the undine bz)
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Eh - the reputation grind in STO is breeze.
    I will get it done on my main toons now, then wait with the rest for some Crystaline Cataclysm/Mirror Invasion/... whatever new thing invented... and Winter Event to get marks.

And for real grinding - try complete Mirror Invasion on 16 toons when it will go online next time - i managed it last time - that was tiring :)
  • Options
    And for real grinding - try complete Mirror Invasion on 16 toons when it will go online next time - i managed it last time - that was tiring

done with 10 toons; after the event I made a 2 months break, and never I will do again this event :p
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    Yes indeed more grind equals more FUN!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10019593-star-trek-online:-temporal-defense-reputation

or NOT?...how many of these do we have so far? Why does everything being introduced goes to the same "old" system of grindfest called reputation. More shinies is great but IMO...still more of the same just being repackaged into a new "cool" title.

Can we just introduce...say just new "stories" without the "rep" system? to get same shinies. I mean this is becoming "boring" to an extreme level? Are there other systems besides the grindy rep system? I guess just me since been here long enough to have grinded every single one of them...yet still find it boring to say the least.

At least would be nice to make it fun like an ongoing summer/winter event to get marks instead of the usual pew..pew..pew..killing and bumping into obnoxious teams in PvEs.​​

While the game is F2P, it still needs an "active" playerbase who will log in daily, see the latest items in c-store and spend money. The playerbase can go through the entirety of the new missions in probably 2 days.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    You no longer have to move a slider in the reps, they reset the default so it's moved for you.

Now it's just clicky, clicky, clicky and you're done.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Yeah, we should totally return to the pre-Reputation days where you could run ~400 elite missions before the Prototype tech piece you needed dropped.

JwbFM92.gif

Let's face it. The reputation system is banal, sure. But it's a lot more fair than the other system, at the cost of taking longer. It's also important to mention that the Temporal Taskstrike Joint Counter Command Defense Alliance or whatever is going to be there for a while, meaning you can complete it at your leisure, or not at all. Just grab your daily marks from whatever Elachi/CCA/MU Incursion event is going on and call it a day.

It could always be worse.​​

So...your point is? They could of easily upped drop rates...but did they? No...they just went from a system where you had the small chance to get exactly what you wanted in a very short time to a long drawn out system that guarantees you will get something if you long in every day for weeks to help the metrics!
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    STO's reps are the most painless route to endgame gear I've seen in a major MMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nadiezja wrote: »
    STO's reps are the most painless route to endgame gear I've seen in a major MMO.

That is why raid based MMO's do so well and has such a bigger piece of the market than STO?
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    When you use a sample size larger than one, you find raids are a pretty damn good way to run your game into the ground...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    When you use a sample size larger than one, you find raids are a pretty damn good way to run your game into the ground...

Yeah...that is why the biggest MMOs on the market all have raiding! WoW...ToR...Rift...you name it...all have raiding...and all have more population than this game. (Well I'm not sure about Rift...I hear it has been suffering recently because of bad development...and ToR has been having some problems...because of lack of new raids and endgame content)

And how good is STO doing? Can barely find a queue other than crystaline entity and only the latest stf.

• Options
    Still no one has answered me if it is so good then why does every *POPULAR* mmo use raiding, including and not limited to the highest selling mmo out there which is still a sub based mmo even?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Still no one has answered me if it is so good then why does every *POPULAR* mmo use raiding, including and not limited to the highest selling mmo out there which is still a sub based mmo even?
    To get an honest answer to that question you first must define "every popular MMO"... In theory this should be able to be defined as a list.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Hmm, Raids KILLED Wildstar, were dropped from Lord of the Rings Online 3-4 years ago (which was for a while the second largest of all MMOs), they completely failed to keep Star Wars afloat (which has since sensibly gone back to holding its audience with story...). The recent inclusion of raids has been nothing but a blight and wedge rammed into the guts of the GuildWars 2 player base.

Not seeing this universal raids=good thing you've got going in your head.

And Rifts... Really? You're gonna hold that up as a success story? Ok...
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    I wish the rep system was actually a bit more like what it was in EQ. High reputation meant getting into cities and eventually trading with those people. Maybe getting the chance to do some unique quests for them.
    Based on that idea, An Alliance reputation that anyone could do. It rewards with the nicer phasers some people have asked for and allows those at max rank to fly to Q'onos and beam to the capitol city if fed side. Or fly to Earth and Visit ESD if kdf aligned.
    Then you can put an unlock on the Romulan rep to go to new Romulus command.

By making the rep grinds get something you can't do as opposed to yet another power for the skill tray or shiny armour/weapon.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    I wish the rep system was actually a bit more like what it was in EQ. High reputation meant getting into cities and eventually trading with those people. Maybe getting the chance to do some unique quests for them.
    Based on that idea, An Alliance reputation that anyone could do. It rewards with the nicer phasers some people have asked for and allows those at max rank to fly to Q'onos and beam to the capitol city if fed side. Or fly to Earth and Visit ESD if kdf aligned.
    Then you can put an unlock on the Romulan rep to go to new Romulus command.

By making the rep grinds get something you can't do as opposed to yet another power for the skill tray or shiny armour/weapon.

Some reps already do this with unique missions and bridge officers.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I don't mind the reputations.

This one, though, like the Terran, requires going to the Badlands battlezone to get marks.

I really hate that zone, so I will do what I did with the Terran Rep and wait for an event to give me those marks I need.

The Badlands battle zone is just one way to get the marks.

And Battlezones are awesome.

They are indeed, just not a fan of the Badlands zone.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    I think STO's reputation system is hardly a grind. It's actually a pretty casual system in my opinion. It takes 5 minutes every day to generate more than enough marks to fill the dailies. You don't even need to fill all of them up nor get all the rep items (I only got the ones I needed to complete my buulds). The fact that you can also sponsor alts is a really convenient feature too.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Hmm, Raids KILLED Wildstar, were dropped from Lord of the Rings Online 3-4 years ago (which was for a while the second largest of all MMOs), they completely failed to keep Star Wars afloat (which has since sensibly gone back to holding its audience with story...). The recent inclusion of raids has been nothing but a blight and wedge rammed into the guts of the GuildWars 2 player base.

And WoW has repeatedly tried to make raiding "more accessible" (with 'easy' raids, the raid finder, etc), when they realized that it was silly to keep spending all this effort on a game feature that only ~5% of the playerbase used. Of course, this went over like a lead balloon with the 'real' raiders, who enjoyed the Elite Exclusivity of their raiding and didn't want it sullied up by the unwashed masses. Whee.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I will say the Reps on STO is nothing like the grinds on WoW. To me STO has the best way to do Reps. I just would like more variety in ways to do them. On here you can do a few rounds for the daily max points. Turn in a few days then repeat after you used up what you collected. On WoW you have to do it each day or you don't advance in the Rep. To me that was a real grind.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    New rep looks cool for a couple of my toons. So I'm going to hit it up. Plus it's another active space trait, and that's always good to go and get.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    like I said in an other thread, for me this rep system is over-used. if only they had a way to upgrade the rep gears in the rep system with marks and dil (at a reasonable cost of course), this would have made a small difference.

the rep system was a good idea, but now we have too many of reputations

i'm not against the grind, I like the dyson bz (ground), defera, kobali, Risa, some stfs etc; but enough is enough, something new, please (not like the badlands bz which is just a copy of the undine bz)

This is another reason why I refuse to do it. They can't create a new Rep with a place to do it. Then they failed. I got burned out on the Iconian Rep. I'm tired of doing the same one over again just for a new Rep. Enough is enough of it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    For the first time since the Rep revamp, you will not be able to slot all Active Space Traits at once. Choice is upon us.

I still think they should do what they did for the Personnel Ground and Space Traits and have four slots for Active Space and four for Active Ground. Small Quality of Life improvement to prevent futzing around when moving from Ground to Space battles.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    Yeah, we should totally return to the pre-Reputation days where you could run ~400 elite missions before the Prototype tech piece you needed dropped.

JwbFM92.gif

Let's face it. The reputation system is banal, sure. But it's a lot more fair than the other system, at the cost of taking longer. It's also important to mention that the Temporal Taskstrike Joint Counter Command Defense Alliance or whatever is going to be there for a while, meaning you can complete it at your leisure, or not at all. Just grab your daily marks from whatever Elachi/CCA/MU Incursion event is going on and call it a day.

It could always be worse.​​

So...your point is? They could of easily upped drop rates...but did they? No...they just went from a system where you had the small chance to get exactly what you wanted in a very short time to a long drawn out system that guarantees you will get something if you long in every day for weeks to help the metrics!

They could give us everything the moment we log in.

What they did was help the metrics* and help the unlucky players. I think that was a great move. Reputations are neat. The game still staying in business however is a neccessary condition before anythnig else.

*The metrics are not, contrary to what some people believe, an end in itself - they are means to an end, a way to measure player retention. Guess what - players that have no objectives to still accomplish in an MMO play less and eventually stop.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    catsmeatcatsmeat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    I like doing the reputations. They provide a nice incentive to help me focus.

They are not hard to complete or overly long. The rewards are tons better than the previous system here where one had to get lucky on drops.

Please Cryptic, keep adding Reps to the game.

Cheers
  • Options

yes, keep adding them, but in a different way, something more interesting. :p
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    catsmeat wrote: »
    I like doing the reputations. They provide a nice incentive to help me focus.

They are not hard to complete or overly long. The rewards are tons better than the previous system here where one had to get lucky on drops.

Cheers

ALL THE REPS! The best grind ever. Better than gambling at least, that's not even a real grind.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    At least it is not a new battlefield grind fest like the terran one :lol: since it is the same one with new stf's