test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starfleet — the real bad guys of STO?

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Taking out the mass genocide the player has caused, Starfleet isn't that bad.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    FWIW, every ship I've ever destroyed in combat had escape pods on it. I've never destroyed them, so as far as I'm concerned, the crew must have escaped & they obviously all survived. How else can they keep coming after us in wave after wave after wave? I doubt you can prove otherwise, so please do not try. We've lost 15 Enterprises, and not one crew death except Spock or Kirk (well, Scottie's nephew...) , but the rest made it or came back miraculously somehow. Please, leave us to our diversions, and find yourself another cause upon which to bloviate.
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    pft.

We murer ship crews by the thousands.... i spit on your few dead romulan scientists in contepmt.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    notice how the op has never returned to the topic, ive noticed this a few times now with this specific op poster. i am still no closer to understanding what the op is thinking on the subject or how to translate what is written into something i can contribute.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    What appears to have escaped the OP (and any other people who post thoughts along the same lines) is that the episodes where the main characters cogitate through the tense negotiations regarding a pergium mining treaty didn't do well in the ratings. Fifty-two minutes of someone deciding on contract language don't do well on any television show, much less a science-fiction adventure series. Games based on that used to die on the shelves--these days I guess they just die on Steam or something.

Players (or viewers) want conflict and pew-pew and exotic locales and explosions--preferably all at the same time. It's kind of a limitation of the genre. That implies certain things about how game episodes/missions/quests (and shows) will be written. Otherwise it's all "and in section four, paragraph seven, clause 102, I believe we'd prefer 'and' instead of 'or' regarding the conditions under which the consequences stated in section two might be abrogated." Nobody will play that game. (Okay, I actually know one guy who would play that game, but moving on....) We all remember that classic ST:TNG episode from season 6, A Fine Point of Law, right? Right? Right--there wasn't one, and for good reason.

Over in Neverwinter there's a bunch of fellows called the Nashers who'd like to depose Lord Neverember and insert themselves as the ones in charge. Of course Lord Neverember takes exception, and sends my adventurer out to deal with the Nashers forthwith--but they're just a political faction expressing their dislike of the current administration, right? Certainly political dissent is at least to be tolerated, if not encouraged, right? Well, no--off goes Hulky McFlexpose, and soon enough his vorpal blade goes snicker-snack, and the Nashers are dead in the street. Lord Neverember lauds our boy Hulky with copious rewards, and it's off to the next adventure in which everybody who stands between Hulky and his goal dies. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Nobody thinks Hulky is bad. Quite the opposite--he's a hero. Hey, if they didn't want to get cleaved, why were they standing within swing radius, right? (If they even understood the word 'radius,' which is doubtful.) Hulky already has achievement markers for slaying 500 Gnolls, a sentient (if somewhat smelly and generally unattractive) race with the misfortune of sharing the land with humans, elves, half-elves, and other non-smelly races. (Except for Hulky, who has not bathed, ever.)

Hulky doesn't spend evenings down in his cups, staging complex moral arguments with himself over the number of Gnoll puppies who won't be seeing Daddy again. If someone is standing in your way, they get murdered in the face. That's just how it is.

The key to refuting arguments of the type posed by the OP, as far as I'm concerned, is this: great leaping Buddha on a unicycle, they're just pixels. No one dies. It should seem patently obvious to the merest student of economics that no faction could have as many ships as it has, and that this cannot reflect reality (or even potentiality), and that we're required to suspend our disbelief in order to play along. There is no point to pursuing a moral or ethical argument in which both the premises and conclusions are completely hypothetical--except to a certain sub-class of Myers-Briggs ISTJ personalities, who will argue the whichness of why at the slightest provocation because they don't know any better. (Ask your doctor if all-new Phlexuflex is right for you!)

I think I have an idea, though, that might make the game better for these near-schizophrenics who can't discern STO from reality: the next time an episode like Divide Et Impera causes our characters to do something morally culpable, the next mission they'll play will be 3,360 Real-Time Days in Facility 4028, in which they'll make reactor baffle plates eight hours a day and fend off unwanted advances from--well, let's just not think about that, shall we not? They'll totally miss out on the Summer Event a few times, probably, but it'll serve 'em right, 'cause they've been bad.

boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    the next time an episode like Divide Et Impera causes our characters to do something morally culpable, the next mission they'll play will be 3,360 Real-Time Days in Facility 4028, in which they'll make reactor baffle plates eight hours a day and fend off unwanted advances from-
    LOL. Nice idea

• Options
    puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User

Was Star Trek created by a Satanist to promote American fascism under the guise of "democracy"?

Huh?
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i'm getting a sudden sense of deja vu...http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/12554530

btw, the OP of that thread is the same ranter i mentioned on page one of THIS thread...and judging by the similar posting styles, the OPs of both threads are one and the same

also, i'm pretty sure calling someone a satanist is against forum rules, even if said person is dead, so...let's find out if i'm right: @pwlaughingtrendy @jodarkrider @askray​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    All I see is a building that is designed to look like a symbol for luck and success. Not sure what it has to deal with Star Trek and fascism.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    All I see is a building that is designed to look like a symbol for luck and success. Not sure what it has to deal with Star Trek and fascism.

I thought the luck and success symbol was the mirror image of that? That definitely IS the negative symbol everyone sees even they look at it, and that building was constructed in the 60's, when it's current meaning was well known.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I thought the luck and success symbol was the mirror image of that? That definitely IS the negative symbol everyone sees even they look at it, and that building was constructed in the 60's, when it's current meaning was well known.
    Nah, the symbol was chosen because it was associated with good things and that political party wanted to be associated with good things. The existence of a left and right hand rotation variant can actually be traced back to ancient times.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    In fact, the building was originally designed as four spokes radiating out from a hub. During WWII, it became necessary to expand the building fast, as it was a Naval barracks, and the contractor did it in the most expedient fashion available to him (considering that it had to remain on the same plot of land, not blocking the surrounding streets).

Records indicate that its appearance from above is pure coincidence.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Yeesh, Oliviaclaire is just as bad as the one who wanted the Starfleet ISIS computer renamed.

Was is wrong with naming a computer after the Egyptian Goddess of Health, Marriage, and Wisdom?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Yeesh, Oliviaclaire is just as bad as the one who wanted the Starfleet ISIS computer renamed.

Was is wrong with naming a computer after the Egyptian Goddess of Health, Marriage, and Wisdom?

it wasn't the naming after a goddess that said poster took umbrage at - it was what he THOUGHT was a reference to the terrorist group ISIS​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

it wasn't the naming after a goddess that said poster took umbrage at - it was what he THOUGHT was a reference to the terrorist group ISIS​​

Names and symbols only have as much power as we give them. By letting them subvert a word that means something else, we are giving them more power than they deserve. These people do hideous acts to get our attention and the media loves the ratings they get from it. So to me, Isis will always be the Egyptian Goddess of Health, Marriage, and Wisdom not some Middle Eastern Organization and the Swastika is a symbol of luck and success not the symbol of some 20th Century political party.
  • Options
    Also... ISIL is a better version of that groups name anyways...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    I prefer Daesh. Both because that's a more accurate transliteration of their acronym in Arabic, and because, since it's a slur in one of the local dialects, they hate being called that.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Wait...Gene Roddenberry designed NAB Coronado?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    Actually, according to that diagram it's not a swastika. Swastikas don't have dots in the middle.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Anywho.

How about we rephrase the question.
    Based on how many races and governments out there want to fight/destroy the Federation. Are they the badguys?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    Anywho.

How about we rephrase the question.
    Based on how many races and governments out there want to fight/destroy the Federation. Are they the badguys?

No. Quantity and quality is not the same thing. If you inspect the reasons why they want to fight or destroy the Federation, you usually find highly questionable motives.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    In case someone thinks that the episode "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" was just a coincidence, even though Roddenberry would have likely had to approve the script first, here's one of his quotes on record:

gene-roddenberry-producer-we-must-question-the-story-logic-of-having.jpg

EDIT: Coronado U.S. Navy base:

EDITED OUT

Was Star Trek created by a Satanist to promote American fascism under the guise of "democracy"?
    It's too early in the morning for this.
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    It never is too early Trendy. Only too late.
  • Options
    In case someone thinks that the episode "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" was just a coincidence, even though Roddenberry would have likely had to approve the script first, here's one of his quotes on record:

gene-roddenberry-producer-we-must-question-the-story-logic-of-having.jpg

EDIT: Coronado U.S. Navy base:

EDITED OUT

It's too early in the morning for this.

I counter not too early, but it can be too little coffee.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Double post somehow

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »

Players (or viewers) want conflict and pew-pew and exotic locales and explosions--preferably all at the same time. It's kind of a limitation of the genre. That implies certain things about how game episodes/missions/quests (and shows) will be written. Otherwise it's all "and in section four, paragraph seven, clause 102, I believe we'd prefer 'and' instead of 'or' regarding the conditions under which the consequences stated in section two might be abrogated." Nobody will play that game. (Okay, I actually know one guy who would play that game, but moving on....) We all remember that classic ST:TNG episode from season 6, A Fine Point of Law, right? Right? Right--there wasn't one, and for good reason.

Yeah, just look at some people who complain that Risa is boring because it doesn't have some kind of pew-pew attack mission on it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D