test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for a Fed. Fleet With Certain Traits

Hi all, first post!

I'm looking for a Federation fleet that...

...usually has many people, or at least a few friendly, social people, online in EST(-5) during the early evenings (4pm-9pm) throughout the week.
...is casual, requiring nothing of me but respect.
...is mature.
...friendly and helpful.
...actually wants to do things together on a very regular basis.
...has a name I can take seriously, instead of something like "Inglorious Klingon Beaters" or "Kirk Marry Me".

I've been using the in-game fleet-finder but I can't tell how many people are in a fleet or how active they are, or when they're active. And most of the time private messages sent to potential recruiters are ignored. I've managed to get into a fleet with many members, but there's almost never anyone online.

I've never had such a hard time finding a reliably mature and social guild in an MMORPG before. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    That's asking alot from this rabble. ;)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • vespinfeeblervespinfeebler Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Starfleet Dental easily meets all of those guidelines and then some. Let me add a few others

That sounds interesting. I'd be willing to give it a try. How are we going to do this? I'll leave my current fleet. My name is Vespin@VespinFeebler.
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    OP, I just want to warn you: Starfleet Dental has some bad apples, as does every other fleet. Their bad apples have just gotten a bit more attention than others. I'm not saying the fleet is bad, I'm just saying their bad apples have been up to some stuff you'll likely hear about as soon as you mention "Starfleet Dental" in a social area chat, primarily because one of the more recent incidents is still pretty sore for some people.

But the rest of the fleet seems decent, with the exception of the odd ones who hang around Risa all year.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    OP, I just want to warn you: Starfleet Dental has some bad apples, as does every other fleet.

What am I getting myself into? XD

The bad apples hang around Risa?
    Also, I just looked you guys up... your website seems rather intense. Will a casual player be accepted?
  • turtlehead#0820 turtlehead Member Posts: 3 New User
    Fair warning to poster: Starfleet Dental are what you could call 'professional trolls'. They find in game mechanics that people find annoying and then intentionally rub those mechanics in people's faces. We have something in this game that creates a disco ball with lights that makes people start dancing, and they abused it so much that the devs had to create a new device to make you immune to the dancing device. Because they are “good” at what they do, they usually get away with it. But when Leonard Nimoy died and the devs added a spock statue on Vulcan for people to “pay their respects”, they were out in full force turning the crowd into a disco rave and the devs stepped in and shut them down. On the forums they will use signatures that have strobing/flashing effects that they hope will hurt people's eyes or are just generally annoying to look at.

To justify/excuse their bad behavior, they regularly hold contests and give away free stuff so they can call themselves a charitable organization that promotes community building and things like that. But people have leaked out their own internal fleet documents and websites that describe how they plan their trolling and how to avoid getting in trouble while doing it, so it's not just speculation that they are doing it on purpose, they actually put a lot of planning into it. So if that is something you are interested in, that's your choice. But just a fair warning going in.
    Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all. O_o Is it just a few bad apples, or has basically the entire fleet been engaged in such behavior?
    their trolling activity is actively planned and coordinated by the leadership members of the fleet
    And now I've discovered their YouTube channel... man... I'm really not sure about this anymore. O_o
    i am not a "he", and assuming someone's default gender as masculine is very sexist of you. also, dental's number 1 rule is to always publicly deny. but actions speak louder than words, and years of trolling cannot be denied. again, leaked internal fleet docs and websites have proven beyond any doubt the coordinated and intentional nature of the activities. denying no longer has any effect.

this is just one of many examples of the 'behind the scenes' planning and documentation that is never meant to be seen by the public:

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627820
  • alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    Ah yes, the 'behind the scenes' publicly accessible SA thread.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    i am not a "he", and assuming someone's default gender as masculine is very sexist of you. also, dental's number 1 rule is to always publicly deny. but actions speak louder than words, and years of trolling cannot be denied. again, leaked internal fleet docs and websites have proven beyond any doubt the coordinated and intentional nature of the activities. denying no longer has any effect.

this is just one of many examples of the 'behind the scenes' planning and documentation that is never meant to be seen by the public:

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627820

I can say from experience that even with history dating back to the beginning of the game itself, Dental is still very accepting of new members. Why, I only started playing a few months ago.

And now I've discovered their YouTube channel... man... I'm really not sure about this anymore. O_o

Their recruiting video that got me to sign up for STO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gwCmfLxIcw
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Fair warning to poster: Starfleet Dental are what you could call 'professional trolls'. They find in game mechanics that people find annoying and then intentionally rub those mechanics in people's faces. We have something in this game that creates a disco ball with lights that makes people start dancing, and they abused it so much that the devs had to create a new device to make you immune to the dancing device. Because they are “good” at what they do, they usually get away with it. But when Leonard Nimoy died and the devs added a spock statue on Vulcan for people to “pay their respects”, they were out in full force turning the crowd into a disco rave and the devs stepped in and shut them down. On the forums they will use signatures that have strobing/flashing effects that they hope will hurt people's eyes or are just generally annoying to look at.

To justify/excuse their bad behavior, they regularly hold contests and give away free stuff so they can call themselves a charitable organization that promotes community building and things like that. But people have leaked out their own internal fleet documents and websites that describe how they plan their trolling and how to avoid getting in trouble while doing it, so it's not just speculation that they are doing it on purpose, they actually put a lot of planning into it. So if that is something you are interested in, that's your choice. But just a fair warning going in.

Post with your main!
    OP: Turtlehead is basically saying what I was trying to say, he's just being more blunt. And really, I get a headache from those Dental forum signatures because I wear glasses that are out of date, but they're still an eyesore even with my new contacts.

If you want, I can point you towards a couple fleets that I left for personal reasons, but they're good fleets.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    i am not a "he", and assuming someone's default gender as masculine is very sexist of you.

IMO, getting bent out of shape about the use of the default/masculine pronoun of the English language negates anything you may say afterwards.

And to the OP, try any fleet you like. There's a big 'ol Leave button right there if you don't like the fleet.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    @nabreeki Yes, because I have the seven-eight hundred dollars it would take. Of course I do! It's not like I'm spending it on bills or food or anything like that.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,468 Arc User
    @vespinfeebler

I will admit that my personal experiences with dental are not positive, but its best to judge for yourself if a fleet is suited for you.

If dental turns out to be incompatible with you then the British Starfleet Corps may be exactly what you're looking for.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    @nabreeki Even with my new contacts, your images still give me headaches. And really, why are you making such a big deal out of a simple fact such as your images not only giving people headaches, but having the potential to trigger seizures in people with epilepsy. Is this a big deal for you? I'm sorry, next time I'll try to leave opinions out of this... oh wait, I'm an American. Free speech.
    @nabreeki Even with my new contacts, your images still give me headaches. And really, why are you making such a big deal out of a simple fact such as your images not only giving people headaches, but having the potential to trigger seizures in people with epilepsy. Is this a big deal for you? I'm sorry, next time I'll try to leave opinions out of this... oh wait, I'm an American. Free speech.

The first amendment does not work that way. Unless you make nabreeki your government, which I would be totally for.

• dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2016

The first amendment does not work that way. Unless you make nabreeki your government, which I would be totally for.

Whether it's first amendment, or whatever, us Americans are graced with the freedom to say whatever the dang hell we'd like - within certain pre-described limits, which may be further limited at the option of the owner of the area in which the dialog is being undertaken.

Since rllaillieu's commentary is not illegal (first set of pre-described limites), not slanderous (as it is definitely a stated opinion), and not a public nuisance/disturbance (yelling fire in a crowded forum) - and I don't recall the forum ToS ever banning the statement of opinion over people...

Then again, Nabreeki's counter-commentary of needing new glasses - as distasteful and borderline trollish as it may be (for I am a person in possession of enough visual acuity to not need glasses yet find a lot of the blinky / flashy / strobey signatures appalling and borderline seizure inducing - as best evidenced by the plethora of Dental signatures that frequently grace the forums.) is protected under the same deal...

Nevermind the frequent use of "counter-culture" like Pol Pot or has-been Communist propaganda type deals in the aforementioned signatures - even though I was not oddly annoyed over said "counter-culture" when it was done in full mockedness during the Iconian War "promotions"...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    dareau wrote: »
    Whether it's first amendment, or whatever, us Americans are graced with the freedom to say whatever the dang hell we'd like - within certain pre-described limits, which may be further limited at the option of the owner of the area in which the dialog is being undertaken.

Since rllaillieu's commentary is not illegal (first set of pre-described limites), not slanderous (as it is definitely a stated opinion), and not a public nuisance/disturbance (yelling fire in a crowded forum) - and I don't recall the forum ToS ever banning the statement of opinion over people...

Then again, Nabreeki's counter-commentary of needing new glasses - as distasteful and borderline trollish as it may be (for I am a person in possession of enough visual acuity to not need glasses yet find a lot of the blinky / flashy / strobey signatures appalling and borderline seizure inducing - as best evidenced by the plethora of Dental signatures that frequently grace the forums.) is protected under the same deal...

Nevermind the frequent use of "counter-culture" like Pol Pot or has-been Communist propaganda type deals in the aforementioned signatures - even though I was not oddly annoyed over said "counter-culture" when it was done in full mockedness during the Iconian War "promotions"...

That's a lot of words to come in here and shout MURICA, Liberty Prime.

Ultimately, Dental is a fleet that is talked about. And other fleets are not. This itself is one of the better features of being us, as it means we're doing it right.
  • sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    Ultimately, Dental is a fleet that is talked about. And other fleets are not. This itself is one of the better features of being us, as it means we're doing it right.

lots of people are talking about a murderer today, but that isn't because he did anything "right". so no, just because people talk about someone or some group doesn't mean it is for good reasons. that doesn't mean dental is good or not good, it just means your logical fails.
    Post with your real account, hoss.
    OP: I'm serious, message me if you want some good fleets to join. I'll help you out in vetting them, if you want. I've been you before, not too recently. I'm still trying to find decent fleets for my toons, I've just got the added problem of trying to find a decent RP fleet, instead of a decent regular fleet.
  • puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    [
    lots of people are talking about a murderer today, but that isn't because he did anything "right". so no, just because people talk about someone or some group doesn't mean it is for good reasons. that doesn't mean dental is good or not good, it just means your logical fails.

Wow....
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians
  • psycholandlordpsycholandlord Member Posts: 56 Arc User

You are TRIBBLE repugnant.
    4KCfG9C.gif
    OP, I think now would be a good time to PM a moderator to have this closed. This is going south and it's going fast.
  • yuss im lukin for de fleetz tu. plaz send me de invytes!
  • puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    yuss im lukin for de fleetz tu. plaz send me de invytes!

What an exciting new account you have.
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians