test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[INTERVIEW] [PODCAST] Questions for Systems Designer, Jon "CrypticRock" Steady?

Today (Friday 20th May 2016), at 8pm EDT we talk LIVE to Jon "CrypticRock" Steady, Systems Designer for Star Trek Online.

Do you have any questions?
If so, reply to this post!

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Is is at all possible that the Ship Visuals system could be expanded on in the future to include weapons (ie, I have all anti-proton weapons equipped, but they look and sound like phasers when they fire)

On the foundry, combat objectives are currently limited to killing/destroying, is it at all possible that disable objectives could be implemented in the future? For example, if I want to have a player disable a ship and board it, I currently either have to do that with dialogue, triggers, and no combat, or have the player destroy the target and spawn a disabled contact in its place. Neither option is great.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Any plans for PvP improvements or reworkings for the Console releases?

Any news on the Exploration System front?

Will we see more cross-faction C-Store ships, or will the Temporal 31sth century ships be a one-off?

What is something cool you always wanted to work on for STO but never got the opportunity to yet?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    will the feds faction and the tos faction be able to use these t6 temporal starships?
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    Who's your favorite producer and why is it Maria?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • mementoedenmementoeden Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    What about some love for the engineering class. At least in space they are not to par with either tactical or science captains. Most, but not all of their native abilities are to weak. Any chance of redesigning them or at least giving them a buff ?
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Any ETA on Exploration?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Will there be any DOff Assignments made specifically for the new TOS Toons?

And WHY do you like Maria so much?
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    The thing that gets me about the Admiralty system is that it takes so long to set up on a new character. Claiming 60+ ships and having to open/claim and dismiss them over and over takes too long. Will there be technology that can eventually read our C-Store purchases, and perhaps Account Unlocks, to automatically grant us those Admiralty ships to which we should have access to?
  • crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Who's your favorite producer and why is it Maria?

Because Maria has the best weekend game nights. NEXT QUESTION!
    Is there any possibility of ever getting starship traits as either account or faction unlocks once earned? Spending a lot of time in ships we either don't like, or don't want to use, just to unlock the associated traits on each character is annoying.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,613 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Is is at all possible that the Ship Visuals system could be expanded on in the future to include weapons (ie, I have all anti-proton weapons equipped, but they look and sound like phasers when they fire)

Or any variation of this?
    A ) Like ship visuals, a slot to place an energy weapon, possibly a second slot for a torpedo
    B ) Click one equipped beam / cannon / turret, choose "unify weapon visual effects" and then all others behave as if they are that flavor of energy weapon such as Withering Disruptor or plain old Phaser.

I really, really, really, want all of my beams and cannons to match, but with rep, episode reward, lock box, and one-offs like the Kinetic Cutting Beam that is almost never possible. I've avoided using the KCB just to not have one red beam ruin my light show.
  • stormvf33stormvf33 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    When the game goes live for consoles later this year will it be cross platform play?
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    My two questions, that I'm sure many people are also wondering:
    1) Will the temporal agent recruitment event be for all factions?
    2) Will TOS characters be able to use federation T5 and T6 ships? Edited out, because he just answered it. (The answer was yes.)
    Post edited by kjwashington on
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    hope it's ok to ask another question and here's what I wanted to ask

will the tos faction be able to make Caitian captain's?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    jim625 wrote: »
    hope it's ok to ask another question and here's what I wanted to ask

will the tos faction be able to make Caitian captain's?

That was answered already by ZeroniousRex the other day in another Podcast... The answer is NO.
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • griceneilgriceneil Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I have a few questions

1) Will the limit of refining 8000 Dilithiam per day ever be increased? 2) Can we sort the cstore ships by career, and not just tier. For example, I'd like to see tier 6 fed, science ships only. Scrolling is a pain.
    3) We have some of the older 3 piece space sets, could we make them 4 piece like the others, and add a warp core.
    4) I have been playing STO since launch, maybe a new life time award.
    Thankyou for your time.
  • psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    -

nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Will there ever be a T6 K'tinga and/or Vor'cha? Also...will the specialty BOFF's, Intel, Command, Pilot, etc., ever be able to use their specialty skills on all ships and not just on specific ships?
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Do you think that weapon, shield, auxilliary or engine power are reasonably balanced?

Do you sometimes wish that playing around with those power dials to set weapon, shield, engine or auxiliary power was a bit more important compared to power management via skills (Emergency Powers, Override Subsystem Safeties, Cruiser Weapon Efficiency) or gear (EPS Flow Generators, Plasmonic Leech).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Hmm...

* Do you have someone in office who is the unofficial official Star Trek Universe continuity guru?
    * When will the Lobi-store Xindi Council set bonuses get fixed?
    * Why has something so opaque/unintuitive to the casual player as Weapon Power overcapping persisted so long?
    * Beams: Fire at Will meta - do you love it or hate it?
    * Which Doff do you think was the most clever? Which Doff do you wish had never been released?
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    When would Defera invasion zone be fixed for real?

When AOY launches can players use same account as PC to log in the console platform? How about LTS or GOLD player benefits?

What's the next expansion in the works and would they take players feedback at all or just a decree of what Devs want to see?

and yes When would PvP be FIXED?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    My two questions, that I'm sure many people are also wondering:
    2) Will TOS characters be able to use federation T5 and T6 ships?

I hate listening to podcasts (it's a me thing, I can't stand to listen to any podcast), but I'll listen to you're podcast 20 times and make a transcript for it, if I can be promised that those questions will be asked and answered.

I thought of a third question. Why does the rapid fire missile launcher only have a 180 degree arc, when real life missiles can be fired in any direction? Given how relatively lackluster the weapon is right now, would a 360 degree arc be possible?
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Any news on the Exploration System front?

Will we see more cross-faction C-Store ships, or will the Temporal 31sth century ships be a one-off?

I'd like to see both of those questions answered myself.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    I'd like to see both of those questions answered myself.

Oh come on. I can answer those:

"Any news on the Exploration System front?"
    No. When there is it will be a major announcement.

"Will we see more cross-faction C-Store ships?"
    Yes.

"Will the Temporal 31sth century ships be a one-off?"
    No. And you're mis-using the term.

Next!
    Hope I'm not too late, just thought of one more major question. While I appreciate the idea behind the film grain effect in TOS missions, I and many others find it highly annoying, and others actually experience headaches due to it. Is there any chance of a toggle for it being added into options?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Will there be an Enterprise J? EVER?

Will there be a Borg Cube on the c store?​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
    edited May 2016
    So how can we watch the interview live?
    Will there be an Enterprise J? EVER?

Will there be a Borg Cube on the c store?​​

The Enterprise J is coming. There will only ever be a Borg cube in the C-Store for a cooperative faction (if that every happens).
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    You guys can listen live here At 8PM EDT!​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    [quote="sunseahl;12938963"]You guys can listen live [color="#9fc5e8"][b][i][url="http://bit.ly/hsmlive"]here[/url][/i][/b][/color] At 8PM EDT!​​[/quote]

Looking forward to it!
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!

Aww, this one wasn't asked. :'(
This discussion has been closed.