test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SO.... will the players of all 3 platforms be playing together?

I see that they have announced the release of STO for PS4 and XBOX. I am curious to know if they will be playing on the same servers as the rest of us.

I can see them keeping seperate servers for console gamers, since us PC players would have a distinct advantage in the controls department. We could SLAY them in PvP. Keybinds, and having use of full keyboard and mouse versus a 12 button controller...... PC FTW, i would think.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I dread the news they are bring TRIBBLE consoles into our playground. I really hope they have thier own server and never step foot in the PC arena. I can just hear the console idiots crying Whaaa Whaaa we got spanked by a PC. Then these same cry babies will demand PC's users get a penalty or some form of nerfing. So disapointted Cryptic is pretty much giving the finger to it's core players by doing this.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,903 Arc User
    It's almost certain at this point that there will not be cross-platform play. I don't think there's a quote yet stating it directly but there's a number of differences that suggest these versions of STO will be operating in separate environments (ex. no access to Foundry missions for console players.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    And frankly it's TRIBBLE that it won't be cross platform. They will have 3 server farms and 3 separate games and a massively divided playerbase. This game needs cross-platform to improve our dead queues and it would be a massive boon to the marketplace and player base.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    from what I have read in other threads the pc users will not be able to interact with console users or even transfer their existing characters over to use on consoles.
    having said that I will add that xbox and ps3 users will not be able to interact together either or access their characters on the other consoles.
    so a player that was lucky enough to have a pc, xbox and ps3 would need to create and play completely separate characters on each format.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    According to zeroniusrex on Reddit, no, though she states she may have to wait until after Germany to 100% confirm that.

It's just over halfway down this page: https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4j187p/star_trek_online_coming_to_xbox_one_and_ps4/
  • Options
    delta#5820 delta Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Games like elite dangerous have cross platform servers, why not this. If so it's gonna be 3 separate games... with 3x the (increased) development times for everything if it goes down this route.
    [TRH] Delta
    Delta - Recluse
    Omega - Scimitar
    Alpha - MVAM
    Beta - Wells
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Wouldent console versions mean cryptic would have to update pvp tho? I dnt pvp so dnt bother me
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Well since Neverwinter is on all three platforms see what they have done. Should have your answer right there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    will they also delay PC updates because of the console certification process?

edit: not really kept up with how things are done in neverwinter.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    There's no technical reason you can't have a shared server, and no restrictions from MS or Sony anymore either. The biggest issue I think is the control scheme. While we have no details yet, what we can glean from the one blog post sounds like they will be using a totally different UI. That will probably affect the way powers are activated, and change the whole cadence of the game. While it's impossible to say for sure at this point, it stands to reason console players won't be able to activate as many powers as fast, and the game may need to be rebalanced around that.

A lot of us who've been around a long time and know what we're doing can roflstomp the game in a T1 Connie, so a moderate DPS penalty would just slow us down a bit, but not affect our success rate. I can see that really hampering the silent majority of casual low-DPS players though, you know those randos you see parsing 10k or less in your ISA PUGs despite all the power creep? That could really mess them up if the game isn't balanced for it.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    null
    You are an idiot sir ssbn665. Declaring console players are idiots , for what reason. Because there on a different system? You make assumptions that all the console players are cry baby's. Yet you are the one crying about the console players. Fact of the matter is this. Just because you are on the pc doesn't mean your skill level will make you win each time you come up against a console player.

Some players excel with the control pad. Maybe that's part of the reason steam as released it own controller, which helps level things a bit more.

I see people saying a controller can't handle it as there's less buttons, many games have done just fine with that sto will be no different. May only have 12 button's but it's possible. Clearly since store can use xbox 360 controller for a few years now and since they game has been sorted for ps4 xbox 1 release.

Instead of criticising the console release go and embrace it as this will only go to help sto weather on the same servers or not. It opens up to more trek fans, it potentially bring the game more money.

So stop being a greeting Creetin and get over yourself.
  • Options
    seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Patrickngo don't be daft. There's absolutely no reason the game on console can't be an identical copy. Lack of controls, you know each button on a controller doesn't just do one thing. Eg press hold down can open another menu that you can scroll through with an joystick and so on. It's not impossible to use either controller to map sto fully.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    khazlol wrote: »
    will they also delay PC updates because of the console certification process?

If it was cross platform: possibly. As it stands: most likely not. Separate games, separate updates (which also has to be the case with some technical fixes.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Dropping bomb here, but they can do this for console but not for the Mac users.

Eh, budgetary limits are a thing. /shrug

Clearly, they've been working on this for a while. At some point, they had to have come to a "we can't do ALL these things, with the resources we have" realization, and made changes. All the things they said about stopping Mac support are still just as valid as they were last week, even if we didn't know this was one of the things their budget was going towards.

(And I say this as someone who's used Macs since the 80's, only built a PC to game on 4-5 years ago.)
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    It's almost certain at this point that there will not be cross-platform play. I don't think there's a quote yet stating it directly but there's a number of differences that suggest these versions of STO will be operating in separate environments (ex. no access to Foundry missions for console players.)

This is right! It won't help any new peeps coming to the PC platform. Meaning PvE queus will continue to be deader and fleets will continue to shrink. It will bring new income for STO until it catches itself with new bugs and people from both servers will get bored as is today. Long term it won't help either to the playerbase or PWE.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    News from the FedCon panel:
    No cross-platform for now.
    (Honestly stolen from reddit).

The question is settled.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    storules wrote: »
    This is right! It won't help any new peeps coming to the PC platform. Meaning PvE queus will continue to be deader and fleets will continue to shrink. It will bring new income for STO until it catches itself with new bugs and people from both servers will get bored as is today. Long term it won't help either to the playerbase or PWE.​​

Since this [by all appearances] hasn't happened with other MMO's ported to the consoles why presume it'll happen to STO?
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,530 Arc User
    Dropping bomb here, but they can do this for console but not for the Mac users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4

Not a Mac user, just saying.

Because there were not enough paying Mac users. PWE is a business not a charity for Mac gamers. As a PC player you should be happy that your spending was not being used as welfare to subsidize Mac owners. If you still want to donate to that cause you can always buy one of them a PC :)

They expect to have enough PS4 and X1 players to make those versions profitable. If that turns out to be wrong they will shut down those versions too. That's business.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I would say judging from the news item that the console versions will have code in them that is not present in the pc version like the radial menus for example, whether this would create compatibility issues between platforms I don't know but I would not be at all surprised if it did.
    I am not really bothered one way or the other, I cant see it making much of a change to the overall player numbers, if players can still log in and use their existing accounts and characters it just gives them an alternative platform to play on, if they have to start afresh and abandon their old accounts and characters I think most current players will have too much invested in time and money to want to start all over again.
    happily I wont have to make that choice as I don't have an xbox or playstation.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    doctornexdoctornex Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    from what I have read in other threads the pc users will not be able to interact with console users or even transfer their existing characters over to use on consoles.
    having said that I will add that xbox and ps3 users will not be able to interact together either or access their characters on the other consoles.
    so a player that was lucky enough to have a pc, xbox and ps3 would need to create and play completely separate characters on each format.
    Well this game is not even coming to xbox or ps3. Perhaps you mean XBOne and PS4?
  • Options
    doctornexdoctornex Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    storules wrote: »

By this logic might as well not do anything because every MMO will eventually die out because people will get bored. For that matter what's the point of living since "long term" we're all going to die anyways. /s

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    sabrefyre wrote: »
    Games like elite dangerous have cross platform servers, why not this. If so it's gonna be 3 separate games... with 3x the (increased) development times for everything if it goes down this route.
    Is the Game UI of the PC version feasible?

Alone the differences in using a Mouse+Keyboard compared to a Console controller are huge.
    I doubt that ppl. of one group won't feel disadvantaged when playing on a cross platform server.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    yreodred wrote: »
    sabrefyre wrote: »
    Is the Game UI of the PC version feasible?

Alone the differences in using a Mouse+Keyboard compared to a Console controller are huge.
    I doubt that ppl. of one group won't feel disadvantaged when playing on a cross platform server.

No it's not. Which is one reason why PC and console versions will be on seperate servers. If you look at the UI they have planned for the consoles (imgur.com/gallery/Y1cLD 6th and 7th picture) it becomes abundantly clear that you will never be able to achieve the same performance as on PC or be able to directly compete with somebody who plays on PC. The whole space combat might even be paced down to allow for switching between abilities on a controler.

• Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    No we won't be all playing together. Shame, the game certainly needs fresh blood.