test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

SO.... will the players of all 3 platforms be playing together?

Comments

• gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    It's too bad their will be no cross-platform play, but let's hope that the console version will bring in more money to keep the game going.

I insist, that only applies to PS4, there is no (now) tecnical reason for not been able to cross play with Xbox One and PC
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Oh well...there goes that hope. Would have been great to add new players on different platforms to the existing server. So much for this livening up things a bit.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Steve Ricossa quote from Playstation blog in the comment section:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/12/star-trek-online-explores-strange-new-worlds-on-ps4/

The PlayStation 4 version will not allow character transfers to the PC version. As we are running a completely new server for PlayStation 4, we want to make sure that all players are able to have equal footing when we launch later this year.

Interestingly, that quote is pretty specific: It doesn't say our accounts won't carry over, it says that our captains cannot be transferred. They could (and really, should) still allow account transfers/linking, and the quoted statement would remain 100% accurate.

Here's hoping...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/12/star-trek-online-explores-strange-new-worlds-on-ps4/
    The PlayStation 4 version will not allow character transfers to the PC version. As we are running a completely new server for PlayStation 4, we want to make sure that all players are able to have equal footing when we launch later this year.
    Interestingly, that quote is pretty specific: It doesn't say our accounts won't carry over, it says that our captains cannot be transferred. They could (and really, should) still allow account transfers/linking, and the quoted statement would remain 100% accurate.

Here's hoping...
    Problem is that the console versions will be around 3 months behind the PC version.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited May 2016

Here's hoping...
    Problem is that the console versions will be around 3 months behind the PC version.

I'm just saying that it's a bit early to write the console version off entirely... which is pretty much what anyone with significant account unlocks on the PC version should be doing if they have to re-acquire everything. The other side of this is, of course, that if you plan to move over the the PS4/XBONE you should hold off an making any purchases for your current account (including AoY Packs) until you know whether you can/cannot take it with you. We've now received official info on cross-platform play and character transfers, it's just a matter of waiting for something on account transfers/linking.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • quantumquantonum#7698 quantumquantonum Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    It's almost certain at this point that there will not be cross-platform play. I don't think there's a quote yet stating it directly but there's a number of differences that suggest these versions of STO will be operating in separate environments (ex. no access to Foundry missions for console players.)

There's no quote saying there will not be cross-platform play, either. I think it would be better if there was cross-platform, because there would be more players, and a keyboard vs. a mouse wouldn't matter much as long as if functions like auto fire and auto target are the same.

@patrickngo, this isn't the place to argue PvP.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I insist, that only applies to PS4

I insist you are grasping at straws. Get over it now and maybe, MAYBE you'll be pleasantly surprised later.

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    nikephorus wrote: »
    It's too bad their will be no cross-platform play, but let's hope that the console version will bring in more money to keep the game going.

because of course they will funnel funds from the most popular platform to support the least popular platform, players buying stuff on the pc version of the game would expect most of those funds to support the game they are playing and not to prop up flailing console versions or vice versa and rightly so, sure there might be some expenditure that might be covered by income from one or two versions like lighting, heating and general housekeeping but don't expect loads of in game support if there is little to no players spending money on any particular version of the game.

Here's hoping...

theres a big difference between your user account and your in game account and most players don't seem to understand this, sure you will probably be able to use your regular sigh in to log on to the game just as you would use it to sign in to arc or the web site and you could even use it to sign in to neverwinter or any other PW game but this is totally different from your in game account, once you start playing a game it sets up your in game account that is linked to your user account, spending money on your in game account to buy ships or uniforms will only be for that game, this is why when you buy game currency you have to select which game you wish it transferred to, buying $100 worth of game currency does not give you $100 worth of game currency in every game only the game you choose to spend it in so anything you buy in the in game pc version of sto will stay in the in game pc version of sto and you cannot expect to see what you have bought turn up in your console in game account.
    likewise buying a lifetime sub for the pc version of sto as I did does not automatically entitle me to a lifetime sub of neverwinter or any of the other PW games and this will apply to the console versions of sto, if I want a lifetime sub for those I would need to buy them separately.

this is where it is going to get tricky, when you buy currency for the pc version of sto you need to be careful to transfer it to the pc version of sto and not accidentally transfer it to one of the console versions instead.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,608 Arc User
    I disagree. The KDF and Romulan level-up stories are both quite good, and I don't buy that continuing on from them to the shared stories will lead to rage and letting me haz their stuffs by typical, non-hardcore players. There's a lot of good content there to keep people playing the game longer and perhaps buying a ship or two.

PVP though, sure they should drop that. It doesn't work and it adds needless complexity.

Dead queues, maybe.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    An Account Server that may also contain a Zen Market Server does not and may not be in the Game Server farm(s). The Game farms just need to talk to the Market Server.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    > @patrickngo said:
    > davefenestrator wrote: »
    >
    > I disagree. The KDF and Romulan level-up stories are both quite good, and I don't buy that continuing on from them to the shared stories will lead to rage and letting me haz their stuffs by typical, non-hardcore players. There's a lot of good content there to keep people playing the game longer and perhaps buying a ship or two.
    >
    > PVP though, sure they should drop that. It doesn't work and it adds needless complexity.
    >
    > Dead queues, maybe.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > it does take more than one viewpoint to make a discussion, and I admit, my views are coloured largely by being in this game, as a KDF player, since 2012 or so, having lived through two years without ANY content, and the three years before we even got the 1-20 levels we got.
    >
    > and yes, they're beautifully done, especially when you realize the devs that did them weren't being paid by Cryptic for their work on them-they were done 'on the side' (much as the upcoming KDF costume revamp...)
    >
    > But that's kind of the root of my thesis-Cryptic doesn't have the resources to pay developers to work on KDF as it is-those devs working on it are doing so, essentially, for free, as a side project.
    >
    > That's not gonna hack it in Console land.
    >
    > and there are a great MANY bugs that date back to release-day that still haven't been patched or fixed KDF-side, and there are bugs from PRESENT DAY that aren't even being worked on-just cruise the 'known issues' threads.
    >
    > Cryptic doesn't have the budgetary power to support multiple factions, just an't got it, they've even been bold enough to TELL US THIS in podcasts when EP-of-the-moment comes on and talks about what they'd "Like" to do, but can't.
    >
    > this works okay for the PC market, but Consoles? another matter entirely. Younger crowd, less tolerant of bugs, less forgiving, more likely to leave if something isn't up to snuff, or it looks like the publisher's just phoning it in.
    >
    > NOT the kind of impression that works with that bunch. STO's console release needs to be successful-I'm simply positing that if they don't cut a whole LOT of stuff they already have a history of neglecting, it's going to suck for them and hurt the company-and those negative shockwaves will hit here, too.

I disagree. I am a loyal st fan as well as a ps4 player. I can't wait to play the romulan and kdf story's. There are many in my dc universe league salivating for this game. Trust me you guys have it way better than dcuo.we are a 5 year league who are all over 30 and huge Trekkies.

Here's hoping...
    I'm just saying that it's a bit early to write the console version off entirely... which is pretty much what anyone with significant account unlocks on the PC version should be doing if they have to re-acquire everything. The other side of this is, of course, that if you plan to move over the the PS4/XBONE you should hold off an making any purchases for your current account (including AoY Packs) until you know whether you can/cannot take it with you. We've now received official info on cross-platform play and character transfers, it's just a matter of waiting for something on account transfers/linking.
    what I meant by "3 months behind" is that the console patches will get delayed in "QA" for that long before they actually get applied. so any bug fixes that go live on holodeck will have to wait a while before they go live on consoles. This is the core problem preventing players from playing together. It's hard to play together when you're running on different code.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,264 Arc User
    lfspawnner wrote: »
    I see that they have announced the release of STO for PS4 and XBOX. I am curious to know if they will be playing on the same servers as the rest of us.

I can see them keeping seperate servers for console gamers, since us PC players would have a distinct advantage in the controls department. We could SLAY them in PvP. Keybinds, and having use of full keyboard and mouse versus a 12 button controller...... PC FTW, i would think.

Thoughts?

Again this thread...short answer:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

thumb-down-smiley.png​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

Here's hoping...

Last week's Priority One Podcast Episode 270 should clear that up. STO Producer Maria Rosseau “Zeronius Rex” stated during the podcast that accounts for PC and the console are separate from each other. Captains cannot be transferred because the accounts will not be valid on the console servers.

http://priorityonepodcast.com/po270/

Most of the of the I would say at about 40 - 45 minutes of the 71 minute podcast focuses on the on the PS4 version of STO (and should apply to the Xbone version as well). The interview with Maria Rosseau probably starts at about 7 or 8 minutes into the podcast.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    sabrefyre wrote: »
    Games like elite dangerous have cross platform servers, why not this. If so it's gonna be 3 separate games... with 3x the (increased) development times for everything if it goes down this route.

Exactly why I hate this move 110%...they can't even give us good development when it was one full game...things are just going to get even worse if it's split by thirds.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Some bits of info from the above linked Priority One Podcast.

Disclaimer!!!!
    I listened to it this past Monday so information could be slightly off.

- There are no player interaction between PC and consoles. PS4 and Xbone player probably will not interact with each other as well.

- The reason why PC and console players will not interact is because they Cryptic wants to give console players a clean slate. That way everyone will more or less be equal to each other.

- Games / content that are released on PS4 and Xbone must go through a Sony / MS certification process that can take up to a month to complete. Guidelines for certification is over 100 pages which even dictates what colors certain on screen buttons must be. I assume this 1 month certification process also applies to patches was well since patches tends to make changes to the game and / or add content that must go through the certification process.

- When the console version is released during the Fall it will be as of Season 11.5. The Agents of Yesterday Expansion is not expected to be released until early 2017.

- There is currently no LTS subscription for the consoles. But Maria remarked that decision is above her pay grade and considering Neverwinter does not have a LTS, neither will STO.

- While current PC players are free to create an account on the console, the primary goal of expanding STO beyond the PC is to bring in new customers that probably not have played STO because they prefer to play games on a console.

- There will be no foundry missions in "console STO". It is more complex than simply copying over assets. I do not recall the more technical aspects of the interview regarding this. NW does not have a foundry either.

========================================================================================================================

A little bit of light has been shed on the reason why Mac support was dropped.

- The way how graphics rendered / generated in Mac OS is completely different to how it is done in Windows and even the PS4. Xbone more or less runs on a version of Windows 10.

- Apple made updates to the Mac OS that has changed the way how some code / instructions are executed.

- To the best of Maria's knowledge, people playing STO using Mac OS represent 1% of the player base, perhaps less.

- In order to update the "Mac Os wrapper" (the emulation software used to execute instructions), Cryptic would need to contract the developer of that "Mac OS wrapper" to update it so that it will work "properly" with whatever behind the scene changes Apple has made to Mac OS itself so that instructions can be executed.

- Cryptic was rather disappointed with the wrapper's stability even when it was working "properly".
    edited May 2016

Here's hoping...

Last week's Priority One Podcast Episode 270 should clear that up. STO Producer Maria Rosseau “Zeronius Rex” stated during the podcast that accounts for PC and the console are separate from each other. Captains cannot be transferred because the accounts will not be valid on the console servers.

http://priorityonepodcast.com/po270/

Most of the of the I would say at about 40 - 45 minutes of the 71 minute podcast focuses on the on the PS4 version of STO (and should apply to the Xbone version as well). The interview with Maria Rosseau probably starts at about 7 or 8 minutes into the podcast.

Welp, that kills that then. That handling makes the whole thing sort of "meh" from my perspective, but hopefully their new game succeeds, since at least that can help fund shared resources (such as designers, voice actors, and writers). Now to wait and see how my computer handles the shiny new graphics updates.

Heh, consider my enthusiasm curbed. :tongue:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    lianthelia wrote: »
    sabrefyre wrote: »
    Games like elite dangerous have cross platform servers, why not this. If so it's gonna be 3 separate games... with 3x the (increased) development times for everything if it goes down this route.

Exactly why I hate this move 110%...they can't even give us good development when it was one full game...things are just going to get even worse if it's split by thirds.

that probably not the case, most stuff that is developed for all 3 platforms will be developed for the PC platform first so and then it doesn't take much to tweek it for the respective consoles afterwards.
    this could actually end up being a good thing for us.

• vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    I don't get this clean slate argument. A new PC player will not be anywhere close to players of 6 years. Whatever discrepancy exists on PC will simply form on console. Having an active community is important to an mmo but if not enough bother to populate the console serves then people will leave.

I'll admit I care so little that I only know the sort of stuff what comes upon blogs so really don't know the details and hearing that it's not cross compatible has killed any chance I could be remotely interested. I don't see this being a good move but that's not stopped cryptic doing it anyway.
  • neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    semalda226 wrote: »
    And frankly it's TRIBBLE that it won't be cross platform. They will have 3 server farms and 3 separate games and a massively divided playerbase. This game needs cross-platform to improve our dead queues and it would be a massive boon to the marketplace and player base.

Yep we need cross-play to boost the population, certainly would be best to include cross-transfer toons so we can play with our toons on any plat-form, it wouldn't make any sense not to when both Microsoft, Sony are ok with cross-play, being cross-play this year would be the best time to get peoples attention to STO since not many people are jumping on board with this yet.
    vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project

That's annoying, bad news. I'd rather start with my toons, even if it means helping out friends with my ship. Seems like poor management if they expect long term STO players to start from the beginning. Mostly disappointing news so far.
    vevutq3kggic.png

• doctornexdoctornex Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    neoforce42 wrote: »

That's annoying, bad news. I'd rather start with my toons, even if it means helping out friends with my ship. Seems like poor management if they expect long term STO players to start from the beginning. Mostly disappointing news so far.
    They don't. If you read the previous posts, you'd know the devs have explicitly commented that this is aimed at console users who have never played STO because they aren't PC gamers. Cryptic doesn't care about console gamers who also use PC, because they're already STO players.

I can't help but think that having a depressed population across all three servers is going to be a lot less profitable in the long-run than enabling cross-play and having full queues, and therefore keeping interest in the game high across all platforms.

Cryptic's excuse about "wanting players to be on the same level" is pure BS since PvP is essentially dead and in any case "involuntary PvP" doesn't exist. This isn't a game like Eve where newbies can be ganked/trolled repeatedly by more experienced players.

Still, although it's true that there aren't going to be direct benefits to PC STO players from this console expansion, if STO in general becomes more profitable for Cryptic/PWE, that will translate into increased development and possibly an expanded development team, resulting in new content for all platforms. So indirectly, this will still benefit PC players although the lack of cross-play definitely feels like a missed opportunity.

Well as I've tried to say before. There wanting new players to be mostly console gamers to start playing STO but alienating PC gamers from this isn't going to help matters for PC gamers that are trying to get console friends interested. It just seems something like cross-play would give the game a bit of a big surge since a lot of gamers will be wanting to see what cross-play over consoles and pc would be like. The idea alone is great for marketing, even for smaller games like Rocket League. I don't even play PVP unless it's with friends, my friends are mostly console gamers.
    vevutq3kggic.png

edited May 2016
    Well as I've tried to say before. There wanting new players to be mostly console gamers to start playing STO but alienating PC gamers from this isn't going to help matters for PC gamers that are trying to get console friends interested. It just seems something like cross-play would give the game a bit of a big surge since a lot of gamers will be wanting to see what cross-play over consoles and pc would be like. The idea alone is great for marketing, even for smaller games like Rocket League. I don't even play PVP unless it's with friends, my friends are mostly console gamers.

perhaps the devs have been reading all of those threads about power creep putting seasoned players years ahead of new players and past event rewards being unobtainable by new players and about how one or both of these things could make new players quit before they start and have decided to err on the side of caution by segregating console users from pc users for fear of loosing new players before the game has a chance to hook them in.
    it may be once they have a healthy console user base that has enough time and money invested to keep them playing they will suddenly find that we can all play together after all.

• memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    null
    This^. Makes perfect sense. With all those power creep threads read all those people seem perfectly happy to extend it to the
    perhaps the devs have been reading all of those threads about power creep putting seasoned players years ahead of new players and past event rewards being unobtainable by new players and about how one or both of these things could make new players quit before they start and have decided to err on the side of caution by segregating console users from pc users for fear of loosing new players before the game has a chance to hook them in.
    it may be once they have a healthy console user base that has enough time and money invested to keep them playing they will suddenly find that we can all play together after all.
    The current issue is that console patches have to go through some extra QA stuff to get approved to go live. This delays patch deployment by several weeks. I'm pretty sure you can guess what would happen if people were playing different game versions in multiplayer...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited May 2016

I'm sure there's something they could do about that, like just disabling PC PVP cross-play till they balance it out while keeping X1/PS4 cross-play only until they integrated PC/Console cross-play better since potentially there shouldn't be as much difference between them once consoles have caught up with the PC version.

I keep hearing about the problems that could occur with cross-play over pc but never seem to hear an issue when it comes to Ps4/Xbox1 using it. Both consoles have the same sort of issues so it would make more sense to at least make Ps4, Xbox One with the cross-play first.

Sure well they could integrate the PC base with console's later when they feel the console gamers are fairly up to date with Pc updates/content. Seems like PVE shouldn't be too much of a problem since it would scale the players based on the players toon, it shouldn't be much different to what it is now for new players that start on the PC version.

So if they are trying to appeal to console fans as new players then including Xbox 1, Ps4 minimum with cross-play in theory shouldn't mess up the economy for consoles...if the updates are done at the same rate, with the economy being more or less the same till they catch up with PC.

Either way I think at least giving X1, Ps4 would help with the marketing for the game since it would even get non-Star Trek fans curious about the game.

Even if we don't get cross-play I still think Life-time members should at least keep our perks like free ships, etc...

As for updates isn't there in-game update feature they could use?, I'm sure I've seen some games use it somewhere on the X1. I might be thinking about just Google-play since you can update some games from the Google-play store but some games have built-in updater's that allow's dev's to let user download content updates within the game.

Certainly wish getting cross-play was simple enough...
    vevutq3kggic.png