test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread for "In the Shadow of Cestus"

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Please use this thread to post feedback and issues found for "In the Shadow of Cestus"

New Mission: “In the Shadow of Cestus”

Comments

• Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    delete as needed
    Sorry Bort, I thought I read the right mission header in the journal
    Post edited by castsbugc on
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for hopping onto Tribble to test, but...

1) Wrong mission.
    2) Always explain your screenshots please. Not just "this:" ... if you're referring to the doctor's futuristic rifle, please say so.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    codyrocks13codyrocks13 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    When the mission window popped up from the admiral, he stated (VO) that he is not affraid of the tal shiar. I find it unlikely that in this point in time starfleet is even aware of what that tal shiar is.
    When getting to a safe distance before the bombs detonate it was a little bit tricky to trigger being far enough away, i had to walk all the way back past the bamboo field to progress.
    Boffs did not like climbing the collapsed rock and one got stuck behind.
    In the Cutsecene where you expose the romulan ships they appear as T'Varo's and Mogai's after the cutscene the correct models are used however. (Love the Birds on the underside of the Romulan Cruisers awesome touch)
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    There are a few other continuity issues I found. For one, during this mission I had a bolean science officer in an Odyssey uniform reporting information. Your andorian tactical officer should be in gold (command/tactical), not red (engineering/ operations).
  • Options
    sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Throughout the entire ground portion of the mission, Ensigns Hunter and Skavrin keep playing their tricorder scanning animations when not in combat. Not sure if this intended or not.

Also, when my character revealed the Romulans, his ship's warping out animation played twice before the cutscene played.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Okay, some first impressions:-

+ Has an authentic TOS feel, minus some technobabble.
    - Too much clicking.
    + Skavrin's dialogue.
    -/+ Cutscene using placeholder Romulan ships and a warp out animation for the charged particle burst.
    + TOS Transporter effect. I think that was the first time I saw it.
    - The oblong mission indicator was misleading for a minute, I thought that was where we needed to be, rather than what we should avoid. If newer players are starting out with TOS, they may assume the same given what the help dialogue says.
    + Nice that the gorn weren't the real enemies.
    - Enemies tend to only materialise when you get real close to them. I assume this is either lag, causing them to spawn later than they should or it's to save on server/computer resources. Given that I've noticed similar lag elsewhere (and possibly part of the reason the tutorial has the weapon bug) I'll pin this one on lag also.

Overall I enjoyed it.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    1. Phaser 1 didn't sit right when holstered, it was sideways instead of flat.
    2. The animation for the wide beam attack using Phaser 1 didn't always show.
    3. After blowing up the rock Tarsi couldn't follow me she was stuck in the ravine.
    Post edited by jtoon74 on
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    1. Phaser 1 didn't sit right when holstered, it was sideways instead of flat.
    2. The animation for the wide beam attack using Phaser 1 didn't always show.
    3. After blowing up the rock Tarsi couldn't follow me she was stuck in the ravine.

#3 was about the only real problem I had.

REALLY REALLY enjoyed the mission. It really had a TOS feel to it over the standard / original STO missions.

Did notice that when beaming down though .... There is a moment where I saw my toon on the ground ... then he vanished and did a proper re-materialization.

Oh ... and might be place holders but I noticed two Valdores decloaking in that cutscene and then fought the proper Rom ships. And just before those ships decloaked ... my ship warped twice.

Also ... LOVED the Gorn ship.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    es5001es5001 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Overall the mission is looking good.
    A few things I noticed
    - The science officer contact popup at the beginning in orbit is using the odyssey uniform, also ESD dude.
    - Noticed some missing icons on loot in mission, disruptor rifle, and mk 1 shield. Btw the disruptor rifle model looks awesome.
    - Are the rocks the heavy rangers throw supposed to bounce off the character?
    - The anomaly where the players uncover the Romulans from a distance looks like a pulsing square blob in space. Is this a new marker?
    - The cut-scene when the players ship uncovers the Romulans the warp out animation plays.
    - Romulan Mogi appear in place of the battlecrusers in cut-scene.
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    I found it odd that when you're to defend the bomb builders the gorn just sat there until you actually shot at them. Of course the segment doesn't complete till the gorn are defeated, but it felt odd.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Loving the designs and the playthrough here. The banter was great, the mission felt very nice and smooth and a lot less buggy than the other one.

• Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    only real major bug i noticed was the gorn on the ground do not attack and wait to be attacked
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    Interestingly enough, I can't seem to play this mission. It seems whenever I get to Cretus, the launcher crashes. And continues to crash. My latest attempt wouldn't let me even get into the sector space map. The minute I clicked my TOS character to start the game, it crashed.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Liked the setup on this one - felt really old school.

There's some Gorn who on entry instead of walking seem to be 'gliding' over the landscape to reach their marks. The bamboo stick markers stuck around in the 'bomb' stage - the 'get clear' marker is very large, appropriately, but is for new players a complete change without prompting they have to get AWAY from a quest marker.

When I hit the anomaly near the end, my ship warped out three times instead of hitting the charged particle burst animation I was expecting.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    Liked the setup on this one - felt really old school.

There's some Gorn who on entry instead of walking seem to be 'gliding' over the landscape to reach their marks. The bamboo stick markers stuck around in the 'bomb' stage - the 'get clear' marker is very large, appropriately, but is for new players a complete change without prompting they have to get AWAY from a quest marker.

When I hit the anomaly near the end, my ship warped out three times instead of hitting the charged particle burst animation I was expecting.

I noticed the walking error on not just this episode but the other one as well. I am thinking it is something with the animation, and hopefully will simply be corrected in another build. But we will see.
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I also noticed the same bugs others are mentioning, my ship warped out twice when activating the charged particle burst, then we got the place holder ships for the romulans, additionally I noticed there is no icon for the disruptor rifle. other than that. I loved it!

I also feel the need to restate that the Pioneer class is SEXY AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post edited by badgerpants999 on
  • Options
    the rom ships are not place holders. in canon the romulans got D7 battle cruisers they even have the bird on the underside
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Very Nice. Heaven for this Old-School Trekkie!
    When all this hits the HOLODECK, I may just play this over and over again.

A few nits here and there, but nothing that hasn't already been mentioned.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    There are A LOT of 'place-holder' items in the current version on TRIBBLE. (25th century weapons/ships/clothing/species)
    That's to be expected and a few will be rotated out with each new patch.

In a month it'll look very different around ESD-2270.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    fimbulvinternfimbulvintern Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I got a sniper rifle in a drop and could take out the last of gorns guarding the sienticts at max range seccondary fire, and they just stod there not figting back.
  • Options
    lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I guess that is why when you get into the system in this mission, there is a 25th Century Gorn Zilant Battleship and not a 22nd Century Gorn Zilant Battleship.

The only bug was mainly your boff getting stuck where you could climb up and the others what people saw in this mission, like the warpin' out animation twice and other things. >.>;;

Like the placeholders of 25th century ships in-place of 22nd century ships until the battle starts or something. I loved the Gorn Ship's design for the 22nd century though.

Another thing, I almost forgot, I definitely love the starter ship, the pioneer class, even though it says Utility Cruiser I guess it'll be changed with what its class is supposed to be?

I guess the next mission in the track will have a sci-officer reward. =P

I should add, when are the photon torpedoes going to have the gorgeous sounds of TOS Era? Or do I have to get a blue torp for that. lol
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    When we replay the mission the first objective is to beam back to the ship as it is assuming you are on ESD. Having to fly all the way back to ESD is a bit of a pain to say the leat when you fly a ship which is so slow. If we could register as starting from sector space it would be more player friendly.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    dirlettia wrote: »
    When we replay the mission the first objective is to beam back to the ship as it is assuming you are on ESD. Having to fly all the way back to ESD is a bit of a pain to say the leat when you fly a ship which is so slow. If we could register as starting from sector space it would be more player friendly.

Yeah that would be good. Since that was a pain. But at least when you enter ESD in your ship, it allows you to get on with the mission. Though it would be nice if we got like a Tier 2 Warp Core too from the mission like a replay reward at least. >.>
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • Options
    especially sense we can not transwarp to TOS ESD
  • Options
    ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    Please use this thread to post feedback and issues found for "In the Shadow of Cestus"

The following was previously posted in this separate thread. The numbers refer to a priority scale where 1 is the most important and 10 the least.

Explore Earth Spacedock
    • 1. Acquiring a Shuttlecraft requires 1 EC - but you have not been awarded any EC to date and therefore cannot purchase it. Therefore, you cannot finish the mission 'Explore Earth Spacedock'. (I sold my Large Shield Battery that I received as an item in the Tutorial).
    • 4. Earth Spacedock seems a little... cramped. In addition, the door to the main corridor to the Admiral's office is easily lost if you've run straight to the bar (a personal failing of mine... alas). Suggest some redesign so there is more of a 'backbone' corridor with relevant rooms hanging off it? Also, if you visit the rooms that have the Ship Selector NPC et al in them before you've spoken to the Admiral, they look strange with just randoms standing there - perhaps one of them could give you a stern warning to 'go talk to the Admiral' immediately?
    • 5. Tarsi BOFF has the Leadership trait, but is not Human. Skavrin has the Corrosive Blood trait but is not Andorian (et al), and does not have the Pig Headed trait like many/most Terrarites. Its almost as though Tarsi is actually a re-skinned Flores rather than a new BOFF from the ground up. Unless leadership was a deliberate trait choice given it would be useful to help keep new players alive in early space battle (at least, better than Corrosive Blood does).

In the Shadow of Cestus
    • 3. Earth Spacedock is surrounded by modern era starships (including a Ferengi D'Kora Marauder). Damages immersion.
    • 9. Player Profiles have a broken white box in the top left when you click on their Info tab in sector space.
    • 4. Sector space looks period appropriate (eg, the Map) but it should make actual destinations more visable compared to the random spots on the background. Still, I like how you are prevented from trying to cross the Neutral Zone (presumably Romulan Neutral Zone?) - you should get your TRIBBLE kicked not just a stern message from your XO :p.
    • 5. Random Generated Bridge Officer (science, in anticipation of a beam-down) is a Bajoran wearing the standard Odyssey uniform. Suggest new generator with TOS-era races only. Damages immersion.
    • 3. Female player characters beam down to planet's surface underpants first - skirt is beamed down (a second or so) later - kinda awkward.
    • 3. Scanning sounds align with Bridge Officer chat windows on the left, rather than the scanning action, resulting in a long scanning sound at each rock formation.
    • 7. The rock falling animation following the mortar hit is strange - including a split between daylight and shadow in the pass.
    • 5. Unclear where the Gorn are spawning from - why did they just appear at the bottom of the rockface?
    • 7. Fire in the Hole animation is very odd (why am I playing with my boot? Why not shoot the bomb?). In addition, why do I need the bamboo - i'm not using it as a ranged weapon like Kirk did; a pile of the relevant ingredients at the base of the rock would be better. If a shaped charge is desired, I'm again unsure that a bamboo tube would be sufficient (cf other material nearby, such as other rocks).
    • 6. The general plan of action suggested by your Tellarite is unnecessary - there is a rock pattern near the bamboo that - if it were not for map clipping - characters could progressively jump their way onto the ridgeline. Perhaps make more imposing?
    • 8. Investigate debris - no deflector scan animation.
    • 3. Charged Particle Burst instead leads to two warp animations - firstly in the direction I was flying, then second straight into the anomaly. Breaks immersion.
    • 3. In the animation, revealed Romulan ships are two Mogai and an upgraded T'Liss - not era appropriate. Romulan Captain is TOS era appropriate though, and the ships in battle are Romulan D7s so OK.
    • Upon turning the mission in, the next mission (Painful Omens) does not trigger - presumably this is because it hasnt been raised on Tribble yet?
  • Options
    ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    Sands of Edren IV: The Plan: Look for Alternate Route Back to Camp does not trigger if you were not standing in the circle when you clicked on the 'ops' button. Does not trigger when you return to the circle by the cliff face. Cannot proceed.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Just checked after last patch and when eplaying mission you no longer have to go back to ESD first, and we can just re-enter Edren system. Thank you :) After playing the next two missions will delete this toon again and restart from begining to get a better idea on flow changes.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    gpgtx wrote: »
    only real major bug i noticed was the gorn on the ground do not attack and wait to be attacked

Those were innocent Gorn scientists that didn't do nothing. Congratulations. You're on your way to becoming the TOS version of Admiral Warcrimes. :)

Nothing really else to note other than what's been mentioned before. Best mission in the campaign so far. Was the named Gorn at the end of any importance? I might have missed something in the earlier mission texts.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw