test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If They Made Star Trek Online 2, What Are Your Hopes/Expectations?

2»

Comments

• Options
    captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    I would hope to see a 2nd generation Foundry. Something more sophisticated than we currently have.
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Limiting the number of activate-able abilities. I think that making most of the abilities passive would work just as well, and provide more challenge. (You have to actually think about what abilities you want to use and when.)
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [...]
    If they have to shut down the game, it seems Star Trek MMOs might not seem to have a future anymore. Unless it's something like SWG and TOR.

Even with certain errors made in systems design, the game is more than a alive and well as a fine single player space online game. And it is still fun as such. So why would anybody shut it down? Currently, I cannot see a plausible path to an end of STO.

CoH had a lively player base and was supposedly still making money.
    Tabula Rasa was making profits

Both games shut down for reasons other than the stability of itself.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Keep core gameplay.

2016-ise that damn graphics engine. It's old hat.

Lifers that supported STO continue with lifer privileges.

Desirable, but not likely - existing players can port their characters to the new game.

• Options
    serhatgs1905serhatgs1905 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    come on guys is it really that hard?! Just close up this game and start a new Virtual Reality MMO from a single player point of view.

Both sides of the gameplay spectrum have an apeal. Either make it so that everyone plays and needs to rank up (single owner of ship) or make it so players can join up on a ship together to form a crew..... now let your imagination go beyond and beyond where others have been before.
    tactics? to pew pew or not to pew pew?!

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Well, if a game studio thinks that they can put their people on a project that has more potential for profit than Star Trek Online... then I'd certainly want to see that project.

every mmo closes its just a question of when

As for STO 2.0? I've had a lot of ideas for it but the big ones would be:
    1)A larger studio than Cryptic with more resources to do it right
    2)An in game character named Gecko that's a recurring pita you get to strangle/shoot/stab
    3)From the get go no "factions" but have Racial based starts, and an open universe to explore. Main plots can be explored or ignored.
    4)Leave PvPeen even more dead than this STO has it
    5)Ship interiors have multiple reasons to be used
    6)Ships don't have tiers, have an in game mechanism for upgrading a vessel's capabilities so a starter ship can end viable in endgame(yes realism breaking but better than tiers)
    7)Classless, skills based system
    8)SWG style "be what you want" weather that's freighter captain, pirate, or stripper in a cantina.
    9)TWOK Era, probably start a bit before Praxis, then fill the gap between that and TNG.
    10)Player/Guild housing/bases
    11)more focus on 'space barbie' and cosmetic items, less on p2win items
    12)Buy to Play model, with some free and some Purchase expansions as time rolls on. (for those that dont know B2P is you buy the game then play for free forever)
    13)Reasonable pricing on cash shop items.
    14)Realism graphics style not the currently fashionable Cartoony stuff like WoW/SWTOR
    15)Less SFX driven powers.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    The biggest thing: that I won the lottery, bought Cryptic back from PWE, and was the one to announce it.

Because then everything else would get done right.

Seriously, though, my shortlist:
    -Totally new game engine, real 3D instead of 2.5D
    -About 1000% more story with multiple paths to "get there from here"
    -No more "freemium" business model, so only that which pays gets done
    -Similarly, no more "pay to win", "pay to have an advantage", or "pay to have it first" TRIBBLE; you want it, earn it
    -More realistic character models
    -More than two real factions (start with three, expand from there)
    -An actual PvP team made up of actual PvPers
    -Separate teams for each faction, so none gets ignored
    -No more "easy-mode leveling, then grind" play model
    -Constantly-evolving story, written well ahead of time and fully-developed
    -Foundry with every single map, character, ship, and mechanic in the game
    -RP zones, PvP zones, and both "anything goes" and "sane and quiet" social zones

And yes, it would be impossible to achieve all this and be a profit engine. I don't care.

This is why I would own it myself (no stockholders to appease), run it for the long-haul instead of trying to profit, and just pay myself a modest salary, if anything. This would be for the fans like me, not making money.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Let me throw in another thing I'd want, complete and total lack of console support of any kind for the entire length of the sequel's lifespan
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    considering the announcement of consoles i never thought cryptic would ever get behind until it was announced and then earlier with daniels and before that with TOS. i wouldnt be surprised if cryptics big announcement was star trek online 2 with a completely new engine with much greater room to develop the whole thing and it is backwards portable for a lot of content, can work on newer consoles, linux and mac as well as windows.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Well, if a game studio thinks that they can put their people on a project that has more potential for profit than Star Trek Online... then I'd certainly want to see that project.

2)An in game character named Gecko that's a recurring pita you get to strangle/shoot/stab
    3)From the get go no "factions" but have Racial based starts, and an open universe to explore. Main plots can be explored or ignored.
    6)Ships don't have tiers, have an in game mechanism for upgrading a vessel's capabilities so a starter ship can end viable in endgame(yes realism breaking but better than tiers)
    8)SWG style "be what you want" weather that's freighter captain, pirate, or stripper in a cantina.
    9)TWOK Era, probably start a bit before Praxis, then fill the gap between that and TNG.
    12)Buy to Play model, with some free and some Purchase expansions as time rolls on. (for those that dont know B2P is you buy the game then play for free forever)
    14)Realism graphics style not the currently fashionable Cartoony stuff like WoW/SWTOR

#8. Wow if STO2 is stylized like OG SWG then my wallet will always be empty.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited May 2016
    darakoss wrote: »

#8. Wow if STO2 is stylized like OG SWG then my wallet will always be empty.

yes, pre-CU/NGE update SWG
    Let me throw in another thing I'd want, complete and total lack of console support of any kind for the entire length of the sequel's lifespan

I'm gonna have to add this as well
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    make it more seamless with less loading screens.

also something like voice attack would be perfect for star trek :P
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    First off I'd be ticked that I'd likely lose everything I've spent over in STO 1.
    Second off I'd expect and demand a complete overhaul of the basic mechanics.
    Third as much as I like the story, need some major sand box elements.
    Fourth EXPLORATION!!!
    Amen- there's no way I'd be signing up for a sequel if I was going to start over from scratch.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »
    Nothing, i simply wouldn't care to play it.

Same here, spent to much on this version, its the last MMO for me. Never again.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    in my dream STO 2 all players would be banned from play forever upon typing 'Would of, Should of, Could of, or any use of a preposition in place of the verb Have.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    MMO from a single player point of view.

wat
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    No pvp, from the beginning. PvP needs to stay in it's own games, designed for & around it, not be some unbalanced sideshow in PvE games, with all the attendant "PvE vs PvP" antagonism. (one side being screwed over by attempts to balance the other, clashing egos, etc)
  • Options
    cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    i would love to see true kitbashed starships made up of parts from ToS / TMP / Next gen. With the option in game to set your environment to a certain era so that all ships / aliens look alike even other players uniforms and ships fall into live OR not have it and everyone looks random. I would also make starships far more customisable more in lines with startrek command, with placing phaser arcs / torpedo firing arc/ computer cores tractor beams etc. Instead of making things skill based make it gear based instead.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    They should focus on the failings of this game, rather than trying to improve what already works well. I'm not going to cover vague things like visuals, UI, etc. I also want to focus on things that would be impractical to do as updates to the current STO.

I think my biggest request would be to make our ships actual places. This isn't possible in the current STO without a major overhaul of how things work, and probably wouldn't be worth the investment with the mission structure. But for a new game, things could be designed with this in mind. Ship interiors should be set up in a way that they could be utilized by story missions, and our ships should be persistent in space, moving through sector space when we visit the interior, and staying in orbit when we beam down to a planet.
  • Options
    cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    how about no captains everyone is a crewman and they have to do a monotonous job in the bowels of the ship and only get to experience fights from a small window into space OR have to sit in their quarters until red alert is over :D
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    cavewark wrote: »
    how about no captains everyone is a crewman and they have to do a monotonous job in the bowels of the ship and only get to experience fights from a small window into space OR have to sit in their quarters until red alert is over :D

I thought that was Perpetual's plan?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.