test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Starfleet Security Files [SSF]

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,979 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Trident part 2 is out now! ...

Will be playing this one as soon as I get time to. :)

Thanks, I hope you found the Dant'a traveler. :tongue:
    (no dialog, just scenery)

Also just wanted to throw out a quick mention that Trident, Part 2 has had a few updates. There were a couple explanations in particular that got a little knotty and the odd rogue typo. They're dead now, long live more functional dialog (and a hideous monster that now properly falls to its death). :p

Next up will either be my AEI mission: Epitaph or the next main SSF episode. Depends on things.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2016

Thanks, I hope you found the Dant'a traveler. :tongue:
    (no dialog, just scenery)

Oh I found everything...
    WizLTsv.png
    B)
    O.o

Didn't think that was possible, but I see how now. :grin:
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited May 2016
    Time for an update!

SSF season 2 is going to be the thing I'm working on primarily for the foreseeable future, with one exception but that'll undoubtedly have it's own thread and a number of people here already know what it is (I may have also explained a bit of it on roundtab last week). :P

Episode 1 (Echoes) is in the works now and it's coming along very nicely. I'm really excited for it and demoed a few of the maps last week as well. Here's a screenshot for those that haven't seen it yet.
    CfnJNh3UEAEMl9C.jpg:large

Episode 2 is in the earliest planning stages (ie. thinking of ideas and playing with assets). There's one thing I know about it for sure, it'll be set on Ferenginar and use the sector space door to boot.
    ChYW1GUXEAAKNvQ.jpg

There's also a cross-over episode with Starfarertheta's Enigma coming and I want to do another mission set on Iffar, possibly as part of the season 2 finale but we'll see how this all works out.
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    A couple of things....

- "Eons" was rich and grand in scope, but the problem I had (and it pains me to say this as I prefer noodle-stirring content over pew-pew-pew) is that the story was far too 'cerebral' for me. I think I got the gist of the story, but man did my little peanut brain have issues understanding the plot fully.

- I began "Entropy" but right around the time I got to my clandestine meeting in the bar, it became obvious that the Iconian War figured into things to some extent. That's when I stopped. Unfortunately I haven't played that far into the official content. My question then would be: do those events have heavy ties to your story, or was what I was reading just throwaway lines/references to the War arc?

Thanks.
    edited May 2016
    khreg wrote: »
    A couple of things....

- "Eons" was rich and grand in scope, but the problem I had (and it pains me to say this as I prefer noodle-stirring content over pew-pew-pew) is that the story was far too 'cerebral' for me. I think I got the gist of the story, but man did my little peanut brain have issues understanding the plot fully.

- I began "Entropy" but right around the time I got to my clandestine meeting in the bar, it became obvious that the Iconian War figured into things to some extent. That's when I stopped. Unfortunately I haven't played that far into the official content. My question then would be: do those events have heavy ties to your story, or was what I was reading just throwaway lines/references to the War arc?

Thanks.

Hi Khreg!

Eons is intentionally made to be obtuse. I wouldn't call it cerebral, just that you're thrown into a time period that has a very different history, technology, and set of conventions. I have a good idea of what all that is and it will be revisited some time this year (got to do something with TOS and time travel :P) but what I didn't want to do in Eons was explain everything. There's definitely a 2001 A Space Odyssey vibe going on with it, which I'm sure would have been a very different movie if the characters worked out what the monoliths were and what they were doing. :)

And the Iconian War in Entropy is brought in for throw-away lines and references...apart from one Nausicaan's optional dialog which you should definitely skip. If you know that the Iconian War happened then you know everything you need for Entropy. Without wishing to spoil much, the Iconians left a device on a planet (and one class of servitor, though not Herald) but you'll find out that's not what Entropy is really about. Continuity and the upcoming Echoes make direct references to one big event that happens in the third episode of the IW arc, but it's character detail and a very silly bit of optional dialog respectively (which is labeled as Haasra's puppet version of the Iconian War, so its not going to jump up on you). It's not used for important plot points.
    edited May 2016
    SSF Echoes is now out and out of review. 1st page mission list updated and screenshots included.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on

Hi Khreg!

Eons is intentionally made to be obtuse. I wouldn't call it cerebral, just that you're thrown into a time period that has a very different history, technology, and set of conventions. I have a good idea of what all that is and it will be revisited some time this year (got to do something with TOS and time travel :P) but what I didn't want to do in Eons was explain everything. There's definitely a 2001 A Space Odyssey vibe going on with it, which I'm sure would have been a very different movie if the characters worked out what the monoliths were and what they were doing. :)

Okay yeah.....I get it, without actually getting it. The 2001 analogy actually helps, if that makes any sense. LOL!!

And the Iconian War in Entropy is brought in for throw-away lines and references...apart from one Nausicaan's optional dialog which you should definitely skip. If you know that the Iconian War happened then you know everything you need for Entropy. Without wishing to spoil much, the Iconians left a device on a planet (and one class of servitor, though not Herald) but you'll find out that's not what Entropy is really about. Continuity and the upcoming Echoes make direct references to one big event that happens in the third episode of the IW arc, but it's character detail and a very silly bit of optional dialog respectively (which is labeled as Haasra's puppet version of the Iconian War, so its not going to jump up on you). It's not used for important plot points.

Good to know. I'll take another crack at Entropy then. It's gonna be awhile until I get to the IW. I like to do things chronologically whenever possible. I'm still only halfway thru the Delta Quadtrant stuff.

Thanks for the response!
    edited May 2016
    Update time!

I don't plan on making too many more of these blog type things for SSF-Season 2 but I did want to set a few things straight which I've been waffling on for the last few weeks.
    1. SSF season 2 will run for at least 5 episodes (including echoes). However things work out in the builds I can say confidently now that SSF2-4 and SSF2-5 will be a two parter that resolves the character arcs of the season (unlike the Trident parts, which were their own thing).
    2. There will be interludes to work on additional projects (ex. AEI challenge, upcoming collaboration).
    3. The next SSF episode will definitely be set on Ferenginar.
    4. I'm toying around with a new TOS series idea but I don't plan on getting started with that (if at all) until well after AoY.
    5. Even with everything, Eons and Trident will not be [entirely] left behind.
    Update time!

I don't plan on making too many more of these blog type things for SSF-Season 2 but I did want to set a few things straight which I've been waffling on for the last few weeks.
    1. SSF season 2 will run for at least 5 episodes (including echoes). However things work out in the builds I can say confidently now that SSF2-4 and SSF2-5 will be a two parter that resolves the character arcs of the season (unlike the Trident parts, which were their own thing).
    2. There will be interludes to work on additional projects (ex. AEI challenge, upcoming collaboration).
    3. The next SSF episode will definitely be set on Ferenginar.
    4. I'm toying around with a new TOS series idea but I don't plan on getting started with that (if at all) until well after AoY.
    5. Even with everything, Eons and Trident will not be [entirely] left behind.

Very cool, especially #3. With the exception of Quark and Nog, I really kinda detest the Ferengi, but I'm always up for exploring a world I've never seen. I don't care much for Betazoids either, but Betazed was fleshed out in "Shore Leave Under Fire" and the environment was brilliantly done.
    edited May 2016
    Just wrote a quick story primer to the AEI, Ch'that and Haasra unpack. Nothing big, just character stuff. :P
    “Not there!” Haasra called.

The case hesitated briefly before determinately completing its journey. Ch'that kicked it aside and turned to face the good doctor.

“I'm not a porter.”
    “But you'd make a good one,” Haasra said earnestly. “See that case over there?”

Ch'that said nothing.

“Break whatever's inside it.”

Ch'that said nothing, but the tone was different. She walked over to the container and read the label.

“Starfleet medical supplies: pediatric. Handle with care.”
    “Should say 'Starfleet Intel: if you write everything down and place it inside it would save us a whole lot of bother.'”

Ch'that inspected the contents. They included several tricorders, hyposprays, and a variety of bright fluffy plushed toys. It was inside these where she found the recording devices.

Ch'that threw them aside, “Is this a joke?”
    “Parting gift, I think. They had at least three people watching me since I left Iffar,” Haasra replied.
    “And they let you into the DJC?”
    “It showed I was serious.”
    “A serious cook.”
    “Cook, tour guide, taxi driver, mechanic, body guard, cleaner, midwife.”

Ch'that's tail slashed the air.

Haasra smiled, “Just making sure you were paying attention.”
    “Where does 'Doctor' fit in?”
    “Old past, the kind that never leaves you.” Haasra reached for a small case. “You know what this is?”
    Ch'that resigned herself to one of the few unpacked chairs, “Not yet.”
    “It's a security service medal, Ibi. When it was given to me I was working as a geneticist.” Haasra thought for a moment. “Actually it would be more fair to say I was THE geneticist on Iffar. Lot of responsibility, lot of technical work to do. Setting up out here's kind of a sabbatical.”
    “And the other stuff was...” Ch'that pried.
    “Something came up, you know how the unexpected can be. A shiny new thing glitters in a dull world. You pounce and suddenly there's a wealth of possibilities you hadn't considered before.”

Haasra relented under Ch'that's cold stare.

“Some people cloned my daughter and I had to make sure everything turned out alright.”
    “Did it?”
    “It's not for me to say.” Haasra took a seat on one of the biobeds. After a moment he said, “You think Captain Mercer will notice if we setup a smoker in here?”
    “A what?”
    “A device for preparing meat food by the application of combustive heat.”
    “I would think...”
    “Remember he's human," Haasra interjected. "The closest most of his species gets to special preparations is a replicator sub-menu or patronizing cafe.”
    “We'll manage it. Do you have schematics?”
    “I have the parts in the blue container over there,” Haasra pointed.

The two set to work. An hour later, damage damage control teams reported they were able to save most of the supplies from the fire.
    edited June 2016
    It's good news!

Apex, AEI is nearing completion. Once I've signed off on the polish I'll kick that officially out the door and then move onto the next thing.

Well, things.

I started work on the next big thing, a Romulan series (RSF), to have something to fiddle around with while working on Entanglement (SSF2). But I ended up creating a plot line and set of characters that was strongly pushing to be an SSF episode, and one that would be a strong sequel to Echoes. So I've made it just that. Paradise Sands is going to be episode 2 of SSF season 2 and Entanglement will be episode 3. The big thing I'll tease is that Paradise is going to be a direct follow-up to Eons (much more so than Apex). Still set on Nimbus, and I may still use the opportunity to introduce characters who I'll later pick up for RSF.

Paradise Sands screenshots
    Just getting started.
    CjY0xqPW0AIvnOt.jpg

Where it is now.
    CkIBmEtWkAApbKT.jpg

Future Nimbus
    CkIB5gzWkAEMqw3.jpg

Ji'Goro
    CkIi-XZWsAgj-4s.jpg

Eith
    CkIi-XiXEAEBKTM.jpg

Kriyt Archon
    CkIi-XmXEAA5ye8.jpg
    edited May 2016
    Apex [AEI] is now officially released.

Can Apex be played standalone or is it a part of the SSF saga?
    edited May 2016
    khreg wrote: »

Can Apex be played standalone or is it a part of the SSF saga?

There's some nice tie-ins to my other AEI missions (it's all part of a building universe) but I definitely set Apex up as its own thing. Well that's not actually fair to say, but if you don't get the visual or dialog references then events will just speak for themselves. :P

One note I'll leave for those that have played it...(this is a big spoiler across my AEI missions, read it only after completing the set)
    I don't make a plot point of this, but it's highlighted in all the implications. The last two maps in Apex take place on a Trident world 6.1 million years in the future.
    (This is in the Apex EAH BTW under a relevant prompt)
    edited June 2016
    Update time!

Paradise sands (SSF2-2) is looking pretty good right now but the phrase "work in progress" applies to everything. Presently, I'd say it's about 40% done. There's solid map builds and a chunk of dialog but the mission is still being flushed out. So we are definitely looking at a release of "after AOY."

Yay

I wanted to note that, as edited above, AEI features pretty heavily in Paradise Sands. This mission is sequeling both Echoes and Eons. However that doesn't mean that in future the SSF series is going to be a joint venture between the two. I'm getting this out of my system so I can move onto other things. This is my timetravel episode for the season.

SSF2-3 (the Ferengi episode) is getting a little work done too and I'm working out the plot for SSF2-4 and 2-5. Those will be a two part Conclave episode that resolves the current season and major SSF arcs. Is there going to be an SSF3? Probably not right away, but I'm not blowing up the universe (spoilers :tongue: ) so regardless of how things turn out it's a distinct possibility. We'll just have to see.

WIP screenshots
    Ck1nqQUUkAIS9hl.jpg
    Ck1pHKNVEAIUiG7.jpg:large
    edited June 2016
    New story primer. It takes place sometime after the next SSF mission but with that a little bit away and current news stuff I'd rather throw this one out to the thread sooner rather than later.

I mentioned this on the show but I've been tinkering around with a novelization of some kind of SSF story. Giving the written treatment to Gemini has some appeal but I'm also looking at a 4.0 revamp which I'd rather stick with as the big project associated with my first mission. Something may come of downtime, but we'll see what I get up to.

Anyway, here be thing.
    The wind whipped. The rain pattered. Two figures stood before an empty platform, illuminated by a ramshackle mix of nearby display screens. Captain Cetsa Ji’Goro of Starfleet Security pulled her dull brown overcoat close.
    “Damn cold.”
    “We could…”
    “Wait here for the tram. I don’t want to spend the night in a public replomat.” Ji’Goro sighed, “I’m sorry, it’s just…”
    “You don’t need to explain, Cetsa.”
    Iliam of nowhere in particular now stood awkwardly.
    “Does Keiken know?” he asked.
    “She’s definitely flagged my name on the transport network. Oma tried to organize a reception the second time I came home. We’ve talked since.”
    “I mean about…”
    “I haven’t told her.”
    “Is there going to be a problem?”
    “Not from her.”
    “What do you mean?”
    “It’s nothing, really. Just politics.”
    Light and sound tore through the station. It resolved into a glass sided cylinder with three across seating and the faded hue of uncelebrated decades. A panel slide aside and Ji’Goro rushed through. By the time Iliam finished his casual inspection Ji’Goro sat huddled against the far window. Iliam turned. The tram was empty. He turned back and took the neighboring seat.
    The stations came through in quiet procession. Iliam sat back, reflecting on the day, while a draped pair of coats occasionally shifted beside him.
    She had emerged into the hallway, strident. She bounded for the airlock, exuberant. Breakfast had been taken in haste and lunch in easy fatigue. Dinner hadn’t come. In its place was the memory of a sullen haul across the last two transfers.
    And some shouting.
    A hand reached out from the coat pile. He took it, gently. In the dim light her soft fingers set a vivid contrast with his plated hand. When the voices came he felt her sudden tension. A party staggered onto the tram. Four variously turned to regard seated pair. All were Ibi, all were eager. One grinned. Another pointed. They eased back, two rows behind Iliam and Ji’Goro. Her hand drew back. The motion didn’t go unnoticed.
    A conversation rose as motion resumed. It pattered, it dipped, and it occasionally spiked. In the brief stillness of the next stop, a thickening silence suffused the cabin. Iliam caught motion to his left, but a hand shot to his right. It pulled the heap aside to reveal Ji’Goro. She uncoiled as Iliam turned around.
    “Thana, tan faar,” one of the newcomers edged.
    “Oi?” Iliam replied.
    “Yut sogshan,” another sneered.
    Ji’Goro chided, “Balarosh nuta vin vin. Bis’idrava etta, dulan duros.”.
    “Bal sogshan tuvor,” the first retorted. Their third companion took the seat next to Iliam. He put his arm around the alien in mocking good humor. The fourth sidled in, taking the seat behind Ji’Goro.
    “Mantan tu,” Ji’Goro said coldly.
    “Om thura nish. Ni ritta von,” one said factually.
    Ji’Goro turned back to face ahead. A hand from behind followed her motion. It pulled her hair back while Iliam’s companion reached into a pocket. Iliam’s leg shot out, pushing to his left while spinning right. His fist connected with the fourth traveler while the third sprawled into the aisle. Ji’Goro shot forward as the hand released. Travelers one and two moved forward. Iliam found purchase on the seatbacks. Ji’Goro rose. Her stunner fired, and fired again.
    They sat back together, red light pulsing through the tram. Three unconscious bodies lay about them. The fourth sat in the aisle with tremendous trepidation.
    Ji’Goro said softly “they didn’t like us.”
    “I gathered.”
    “I mean together.”
    “Oh…”
    The two waited in silence.
    edited June 2016
    The 4.0 update of Gemini is now...there in the servers?

It's published and when things get back online people can check out the latest changes I've made to my first mission. Big one: new custom ground map (replacing stock station interior.)
    ClWZ6KvVAAAwAc2.jpg

Full change list is below
    • Revamped briefing dialog on U.S.S. Incongruous
    • Tweaked location and markers for Iffar orbital checkpoints
    • Downgraded Nausicaans to two weak mobs.
    • Updated Haasra model
    • Revamped mission dialog on Federation Compound ground map.
    • Added more detail to Federation Compound ground map.
    • Replaced "crashed sensor probe" objective with "find Ross." New dialog and details.
    • Added new conversational dialog: Ji'Goro|Ross (after Gorn ambush)
    • Added more detail to Reception ground map
    • Changed Admiral Riit dialog on Reception from mission to optional.
    • Replaced Lab/Station stock map with new custom map.
    • Revamped dialog on Lab/Station map.
    • Added new 2 optional dialogs: Cetsa Ji'Goro journals
    • Revamped debriefing dialog.
    • Changed unnamed Klingon Captain to Captain Kagran
    • Added new conversational dialog: Thayl|Graves.
    • Small updates to EAH.

I also made one change to Entropy and Continuity. I tweaked Grave's personal story. Was secretly an alien. Now human. The other spoiler is still a thing, but now he's a more grounded character. In total this affects just two bits of dialog, but it's worth noting.

Also updated the end to Continuity. Ross gets a better last word in against the villain.
    edited June 2016
    So I've decided to be a little more direct about Apex. The EAH has just been updated with a short bit on what the mission is really about (from my point of view) so I can really put this to bed and move on, creatively, to the next thing. But, I don't expect anyone to go back and play it just for that one prompt, so included below is what I had in mind.
    EAH:
    This mission is, in a nutshell, not about what the mission says its about. Now of course you can have a long discussion about the Eternals, their motives, and where Prometheus fit into all that but that's just detail.

The core thing is a creative exploration of the self. The narrative is there only to structure this aspect (and form a playable mission). You have three main views on where one fits into the universe. One: Prometheus. His universe is just him. Two: the Eternals. They're set apart but their view includes the entire span of galactic history (and everyone that involves.) Three: Sandoval and Valin. Their view focuses on only one other person, learning facets and building connections.

Qoga represents a fourth: a view fixated on inter-group politics, but that's dismissed early. :tongue:

The events of this mission allows each side to have their bit. That requires most of the optional dialog to take in, but I didn't want to force an hour long mission with heavy exposition simply to make an [experimental] literary point. The depth is there if people want, otherwise it's a quick sci-fi monster story with nice backdrops.

As for those incidental plot details...
    The Eternals wanted you to move the relic at the end of the mission from point A to point B to affect the span of multi-galactic history, not with any particular goal in mind but to add a stabilizing element through the analysis and awareness of this great big mysterious thing with unknown implications. It's similar to the Builder constructs in Charles Sheffield's Summertide -> Convergence series.

Prometheus was their tool to make that happen with the desired reaction.
    edited July 2016
    The SSF series is going into its downtime hibernation. Stuff will indeed be coming shortly after the Foundry comes back online.

Well, it looks like we don't have downtime this expansion. But I'm still going to be taking it a little easier with foundry stuff over the next week. SSF2-2 release in the relative near future.

First up: SSF2-2: Inversion
    CmiXdAMXYAE3MYP.jpg

then (hopefully by the end of summer) SSF2-3: Entanglement
    CmAhDNdVAAERufz.jpg

with SSF2-4: Refraction finishing up the season sometime this fall.
    CmmVBOeXEAAmgfp.jpg:large
    The next episode of the Starfleet Security files is now out. I wouldn't say Paradise Sands is my darkest episode yet but it probably has the most tone. Don't worry, you're not in for any major sadness with this one. It's just how we're moving on.

It's out in review at the moment, I hope you enjoy.

CnnRnmjWcAAO49q.jpg
    edited July 2016
    Paradise Sands Inversion is now out of review and has had a few updates. Dialog has been tweaked, combat difficulty tuned up, and some additional explanations have been added. Altogether I'm really happy with it but I'd certainly appreciate some feedback on this one (since the plan is to follow along with the style of SSF2-2 into 2-3 and 2-4.)

Speaking of the next SSF's, I'm not looking at starting those right away. There's other projects I want to work on first, some not in the foundry and not dealing with creative writing. So no immediate word on when the next episode in the series is likely to be released. But I'll have it on the back burner at least.
    edited July 2016
    Update time!

For those keeping track at home, Apex has not yet been spotlighted. It's been submitted with the proper details and as far as I know now we're just waiting on Trendy to press the buttons. It's out in its final form now so definitely feel free to give it a try if you haven't done so already.

Next up: SSF2-2. On review there's a couple aspects of this mission which I don't think are working that well. The short intro is one and I can't do anything about it without adding a completely redundant "move to planet" segment and an accompanying loading screen. There is, something, I can do about the short transition between timeframes. Tonight I'll be putting the finishing touches on a new ground map that'll lead players a bit more gradually [back] into the 4.5 million year future setting. It'll also say a few more things about the Eternals, which Apex players may appreciate.

Update: this SSF2-2 update is now out.
    edited July 2016
    One quick thing, I've changed the name of Paradise (formerly Paradise Sands) to Incursion Inversion. It's still SSF2-2, but I decided the new name fits the mission a lot better.
    edited August 2016
    Time to update.

I've got the following planned for the Foundry:

SSF2-3: Entanglement
    SSF2-4: Refraction

(which you guys already knew about)

And now a new AEI mission is in the works. Two in fact! Epoch parts 1 and 2 will be the final culmination of my AEI missions. Trident, Eons, and Apex will be fully resolved in a story that takes place (for the most part) 4.6 million years in the future (note: Eons was 4.5 and Apex was 6.1).

Co_CUepVUAEn0Gq.jpg
    CpGP_9fVUAAQ3ix.jpg
    CpgqH_kXYAAJV5f.jpg

No idea yet on when this will be published (it's my next project but I'm not setting any kind of timeline for myself here). Stay tuned. :P
    Epoch, Part 1 [AEI | SSF] is now out in review. This is a first release build, so the odd typo and clunky bit of dialog may still be lingering, but we have another completed mission here, feedback for which would be greatly appreciated. :)
    One other bit of news, there is now a KDF version of Apex (revamped dialog responses to fit, but otherwise nothing new.)
    edited September 2016
    Update time!

Epoch, part 1 and Apex [KDF] are still in review. That's OK, I'm not planning vengeful death on all those that haven't played it yet. But even after I've made 52,840 missions there's still a process in getting these out there. Bumping it out of review would be appreciated, and to be sure I'm helping the greater cause I'll gladly return the favor if you dear (hopefully existent) reader have a mission sitting in review too. I try to keep a look out for what's new, but with everything I have a hard time keeping track. :)

With that out of the way: here's what's coming up.
    • Epoch, Part 2
    • Entanglement [SSF2-3]
    • Refraction [SSF2-4]

Some plot details may change between the SSF missions, there's options to make them more or less linked, but by in large the line-up is set. Entanglement is a Ferengi episode and Refraction is another Ibi episode.

Once I'm done these, I may be moving to something new. SSF has had a good run but the weight of character stuff is getting a little constraining in writing for new missions (hence what I did in Epoch). I'm experimenting with something I'll title for the moment as "Sierra" but what this is exactly is entirely up in the air. A few points for building hype/anticipation/some vague interest are as follows.
    • It's ship-centric in classic Trek sense.
    • This should would have an elaborate custom interior which could host most of the episode
    • I don't intend to make this a long-running series (SSF and AEI have scratched that itch). This (if I make it) will be a one-off episode.
    • As such I have a lot of creative flexibility.

CreXpWtWEAAcqFW.jpg:large

More to come (if anything) from Sierra as we move on through things. For now, my active project is Epoch, Part 2.
    edited September 2016
    New short story piece: The Rotunda

It takes place two months after SSF2-2: Inversion and explains a character change coming in future episodes (it'll be self-evident then but here's the moment.)
    “Ross…”
    “Just hold it for one more moment.”
    “I’m not sure that I can.”
    “It looks comfortable”
    “But aren’t marmosets…”
    “They’re sociable.”
    “Ross…”
    “There we go. I’ve got the holo.”

The keeper moved to retrieve the adventurous little primate from Ji’Goro’s hat. The animal perched behind the small white dome at the center, its feet digging into the soft fabric of the wide brim. Once she felt the weight lift Ji’Goro flipped the hat around and inspected it carefully.

“It’s alright…” she said softly.
    “Were you really that worried?”
    “It was a present from Vella.”

Ross looked down at his holocamera.

“I’ll be sure to send them a copy,” he said.
    “Send it direct. If you go through the Administration, it’ll find its way to the news outlets.”
    “You don’t want to be known as the marmoset lady back home?”
    “I don't want any more attention.”
    “Oh…right.”

Ross reflected back on the previous two months. The team had fared badly during their last assignment. Ross lost his original, organic eyes but recovery from that was straight forward. Ji’Goro suffered comparatively minor physical injuries but the medical examination had found a lot else. Ignored breaks, shattered implants, and chemical traces which showed how she was coping with the pain. Her recovery was delicate, and was made all the more so when her medical records were leaked on the open net. To the FNN it was merely an unfortunate incident, highlighting the need for data protection reforms. To the Ibi it was something else. It was a scandal, the first Ibi in Starfleet made up into an addict. She hadn’t returned home since.

They stood now in an open park land, part of the mega complex that was the Milwaukee Zoo. A small crowd ambled around them as the primate keeper led them through an ecological dissertation, mascot in hand. Iliam slipped through the bodies and into the small opening his companions had drifted into. He held a pair of drinks.

“Did I miss anything?”
    “Nothing there isn’t a holographic record of.”

Iliam tossed the bottles to his two companions. Ji’Goro caught hers. Ross watched his sail by. It bounced. Iliam walked passed, retrieved it from the edge of the pavement, then handed it to Ross. Throughout his expression was blank. It didn’t try to pass comment on what had been “old man.”

“Where next?” Iliam asked.
    “Somewhere quiet,” Ross said flatly.
    “There’s an invertebrate section near the entrance...” Ji’Goro maneuvered.

Ross nodded. They walked. Along the way they made a few diversions at Ji’Goro’s implicit insistence. She darted to some displays, walked by others, drawing information as it related to a developing model of Sol biodiversity. Iliam was attentive but followed mechanically with his partner’s movements.

That had become the pattern of the last few weeks. Before the mission Ji’Goro was balanced between Iffar and Starfleet. Their temporary quarters were littered the latest paraphernalia of Ibi life. News briefs, papers, reports, gallery summaries. Ji’Goro’s reposed form, PADD in hand and audioset in place, had become a fixture of their evenings.

The plain hat had been allowed to remain. The rest of what she wore now was pointedly Terran. Ji'Goro was simply a Starfleet officer.

They found the P.G. Anderson Invertebrate Hall. Ji’Goro took point while Iliam supported. Ross covered their flank. In the gloom of the darkened hall you could never quite trust the average Sol schoolboy. He should know. Ji’Goro was absorbed in her surroundings. Her mouth moved slightly when presented with a tank of echinoderms. Her fingers traced the lacy tendrils of the jellyfish. She quickly strode past the hall of arachnids. Iliam followed attentively. Ross lagged behind.

He found them in a small rotunda. Around them pulsed a shoal of squid. She sat neatly on one of the arrayed benches while Iliam stood behind, hands placed gently on her shoulders. Ross moved in beside her and resisted his characteristic sprawl. This was no debriefing with the Admiralty.

“I had a conversation with the Office of Planetary Security.”
    Ji’Goro’s head snapped sideways to find Ross’s composed expression.
    “It was about Keiken,” Ross continued.
    She stared apprehensively.
    “Has she talked to you about retiring?” he asked.
    She nodded. Iliam remained fixed behind Ji’Goro.
    “They'll announce it soon. Right now the board is choosing her successor,” Ross continued.
    “Councilor Yu’ga…” was all Ji’Goro could say.

The man’s hot rhetoric had shot painfully into Ji’Goro’s world. She had become an example in his campaign to reform off-world security. No longer would the alien indulgences of field officers be tolerated. Planetary security would be cleared out, starting with the first Ibi in Starfleet.

“The man had you specifically barred from service. Don’t you think Keiken would have a special kind of revenge in store for him?” Quickly, Ross produced his message PADD. He had the correspondence ready. Ji’Goro’s hand trembled slightly as she took the display.

Ji’Goro read, and laughed. The gleeful sound echoed around the rotunda. A clot of schoolchildren pressed against the far wall were far too occupied with the business of squid jokes to notice. The gestures were quite elaborate. Wheezing, Ji'Goro passed the PADD up to Iliam.

“The confirmation is but a formality now. Alphonse A. Ross, we are honored to have you as the first non-Ibi head of Planetary Security," he read.

Ji’Goro brought a hand delicately to her face and snorted.

“Have you cleared this with Admiral Byrd?” Iliam asked responsibly. A smirk could just be made out bleeding across his alien features.
    “I’m still wondering how best to break the news. I’m hoping I can wait until the next sector briefing.”
    “You’ve got to play Sweet Bolian Goodbye. Sing it if you can.”
    “I’ll work out something with the presentation techs.”

Ji’Goro eased. The trio sat for a moment in the blue silence of the squid hall.

“When will you be leaving?”
    “It won’t be for a month or so.”
    “Then….”
    “Then you can visit me.”

She looked to Ross but withdrew into apprehension. Her expression began to plead, began to shout, began to cry, but before the impulses could find common ground Ross stepped in to arrest the shattering.

“What happened to you was a proxy fight. This…” Ross waved the PADD “…was what they were trying to avoid. They couldn’t process the thought of alien influences in government. Now they’re getting one in charge of Planetary Security.”
    Iliam followed the track laid down, “This is going to become their new battleground. They won’t care about what happened with Cetsa. The optics will have changed completely.”
    “Especially after my first week,” Ross said with all the good intent of the schoolchildren now making their way out of the rotunda.

Ji’Goro took Ross’s hand.
    “Give them hell.”
    edited September 2016
    So Epoch, Part 1 is out and about in the main game now and it's something that people seem to like. Naturally my current active project is therefore not part 2. Don't worry, I build relatively fast and I'll probably be looking at a Epoch, Part 2 release sometime before the new year. What I want is to give that a little more time to mature, so the production of a two part series is justified (ie. that it's fun, resolves part 1 fully, and makes sense.)

What do we have in the meantime? SSF2-3, the Ferengi episode. I've teased a little bit about a new thing (Project Sierra) but SSF has come back as my active Foundry project. For those wondering how well Ferenginar translates to the Foundry have a look below.
    Csluh1NWYAAoKnz.jpg
    It's actually going well. The main plot has taken shape and what's left is a lot of connecting, map work, and polish. I won't say much about specific plot elements (besides it involves the Ferengi) but I can say that it won't draw heavily on previous SSF episodes (and AEI is not involved.) After Inversion I definitely want to get back on track with the SSF series and, while I'll continue adding new species to the STO Foundry universe, things you have heard of before will feature much more prominently in upcoming episodes.

With that, thanks to everyone who's played Epoch (and everything else for that matter). If you haven't check it out yet, I hope you have fun,
This discussion has been closed.