test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Agents of Yesterday Will You Play the Upcoming Expansion?

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    They're adding a "faction" that specifically caters to a very niche group.

I just what to highlight this for those following along with forum comments that this was directed at the Original Series of Star Trek.

It's perfectly fine not to have interest in something, but implicitly claiming that the cardies have a bigger following isn't helping you get your point across. Even if there isn't a huge amount of TOS content in the game already [hence the expansion] there's a sub-cultural history founded on TOS to cultivate interest among STO players. We've all [presumably] seen the show before.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    avengerkid1993avengerkid1993 Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    No, seriously, where are the Borg ?
    The Borg are, probably, the strongest canon enemy ... I was expecting to see a good revamp !

Then, of course, there is the question: why is the story going backward ?

Also, I don't get it: the new character will move in a different galaxy correct ? I won't see a "Testerday Toon" at the New Romulus Command or at the actual Earth Spacedock, correct ?
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Because time travel's been a part of the current story for two seasons. There's got to be some pay-off.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User

Because time travel's been a part of the current story for two seasons. There's got to be some pay-off.

Except this isn't your character going backwards, its a completely separate ToS story
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    Kick in the groin if you wanted to play kdf/rom. Even worse than usual, and that's saying something.
  • Options
    quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 308 Arc User

I just what to highlight this for those following along with forum comments that this was directed at the Original Series of Star Trek.

It's perfectly fine not to have interest in something, but implicitly claiming that the cardies have a bigger following isn't helping you get your point across. Even if there isn't a huge amount of TOS content in the game already [hence the expansion] there's a sub-cultural history founded on TOS to cultivate interest among STO players. We've all [presumably] seen the show before.

Right, I'm not disputing any of that. I meant a niche group calling for a TOS expansion. Aside from those who were hyping the anniversary, no one's really called for it at all over this game's lifespan. It's almost always been Cardassian/Dominion or Borg/Cooperative expansions that people call for.

I think the TOS stuff is cool, but ultimately making a full expansion of it came out of left field.
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    No, seriously, where are the Borg ?
    The Borg are, probably, the strongest canon enemy ... I was expecting to see a good revamp !

Also, I don't get it: the new character will move in a different galaxy correct ? I won't see a "Testerday Toon" at the New Romulus Command or at the actual Earth Spacedock, correct ?

In TNG and DS9 the Borg were definitely formidable, but Voyager utterly neutered them, once the ship made it back home with the knowledge of how to beat them they were basically done as a big bad. Not to mention Voyager also introduced the Undine who can't be assimilated, with tech that can't be adapted to, and who destroy the Borg with ease.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I could care less for the TNG stuff but the Temporal pack with the new T6 ships looks too tempting. Would be great if they can separate that OLD stuff from the temporal ships and be glad to get a pack or two.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    Me no likey. I would've been super-pumped for a couple of TOS-themed missions like what we saw in the "Spectres" story arc, but making a whole expansion out of it is, as others here have said, rather extreme.

Let's not forget that STO is set in the 25th century. We should be seeing what the galaxy is like now, not what it was like 150+ years ago. It's starting to feel like all the time travel stuff we've been getting lately has purely been to introduce this expansion and make it "work" story-wise.

Also, why no love for KDF and Roms??? From what's been revealed so far, they get nothing out of this expansion as it's entirely Fed-focused. The other two factions already see a lot less love from the devs compared to Feds, so widening the gap even more is just making the inequalities worse.

I was also hoping for a Cardassian/Gamma Quadrant-themed expansion, but alas, my hopes have been dashed!
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I will run at least one character through the new expansion.

Whether I spend any money depends entirely on if my current Fed characters can use the T6 temporal ships.

If it is a yes, then I will buy a few of the ships.

If it is a no, then I won't be buying any new ships from the expansion.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I don't like the old stuff either....but will check it out anyway!​​
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I haven't voted, by the way, since the replies don't match.

Yes, I'll definitly play the new content. I am not convinced that it will be great. I think they'll probably faithfully recreate the TOS aesthetics, but, quite frankly, it's not an aesthetic I like. It can't help but feel dated.
    I know however people that love the TOS aesthetics, and they will probably get a lot out of this. (Even if it seems like "a lot" still does not contain an endgame Connie? Unless the endgame Connie is not in the C-Store).

But so be it - there is still story in there, and the temporal ships will probably be interesting to fly.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I'm not sold on the theme/content. The games story is set in 2410. Why is the expansion being set well over 100 years prior ?. Lets hope this prequel content isn't to Star Trek Online what Enterprise was to Star Trek on T.V. Who knows at the end of the new FE story line we just say "Computer Arch" and exit the Holodeck :)
  • Options
    I'm not sold on the theme/content. The games story is set in 2410. Why is the expansion being set well over 100 years prior ?. Lets hope this prequel content isn't to Star Trek Online what Enterprise was to Star Trek on T.V. Who knows at the end of the new FE story line we just say "Computer Arch" and exit the Holodeck :)

Two different story arcs with the DLC one ToS new character, one for "present" time
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    i don't know, if the content is interesting; hum! perhaps. but I'm not going to buy a single ship, simply because i'm not interested by the TOS stuff, and I hate Kirk (oh! blasphemy lol)
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User

Right, I'm not disputing any of that. I meant a niche group calling for a TOS expansion. Aside from those who were hyping the anniversary, no one's really called for it at all over this game's lifespan. It's almost always been Cardassian/Dominion or Borg/Cooperative expansions that people call for.

I think the TOS stuff is cool, but ultimately making a full expansion of it came out of left field.

Excuse me a moment but. . . ???
    Really? I have been in several threads where people want TOS era and were a bit disappointed that STO was set as post TNG. Suggestions even made for a kind of second game where you were just TOS. It was sometimes talked over by some people wanting to be Cardassians. But by no means is this out of the blue or unasked for.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Just the fact that our established characters are locked out of it is a big point against it. Being Fed-only is another. It will undoubtedly be very popular among a certain subset of the playerbase...it remains to be seen if it's worth anything for the rest of us.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Not unless there's parity of content for Roms and KDF. Considering past performance and the complete lack of any mention of them in the current material, not holding out any hope.

Wallet remains closed.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm old from the time when there was only TOS.....this is a win in my book. There's also more TOS lovers out there. In my opinion more than a niche group as some have suggested. We're not all elderly and dead yet.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Aren't games supposed to move forward? I like TOS but I don't want to reroll a new character.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • Options
    macfelly wrote: »
    Aren't games supposed to move forward? I like TOS but I don't want to reroll a new character.

Then don't.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    @macfelly

Well if you want Delta Rising 2.0 then by all means... the rest of us probably prefer horizontal content expansion.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Just the fact that our established characters are locked out of it is a big point against it.
    Were you this upset at the Delta Recruitment thing, too? After all, that also only applied to new characters - and they didn't even get a new leveling experience.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I actually love the retro-aesthetics and the futuristic outlook of the sixties that are a part of TOS, so I'm looking forward to 'Agents of Yesterday' making me more motivated for STO, since things as of late have been quite stale.
    If all goes smoothly, there's a chance that unlike the train-wreck that was 'Delta Rising', this could in fact turn out to be "The best expansion ever and the players love it!" :tongue: for real. At least it has a lot of initial potential given the theme and the 50-th anniversary of Star Trek.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    I actually love the retro-aesthetics and the futuristic outlook of the sixties that are a part of TOS, so I'm looking forward to 'Agents of Yesterday' making me more motivated for STO, since things as of late have been quite stale.
    If all goes smoothly, there's a chance that unlike the train-wreck that was 'Delta Rising', this could in fact turn out to be "The best expansion ever and the players love it!" :tongue: for real. At least it has a lot of initial potential given the theme and the 50-th anniversary of Star Trek.

Delta Rising's actual story missions were all right, certainly better than anything that came after (except "Delta Flight"). It was the patrol padding, Kobali, and the cheap cop-out with Eldex that killed it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I do have to agree with the point of "hey, where's the other 2 factions?" Though a lot of the ships for the Roms and KDF would basically be kicked to the curb since the KDF really only had the D7 and the Roms a copied D7 and the warbird.

Though they could of used this to kick out some themed BoP and raptors along with some new warbird designs.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I will be playing the FUn out of this!!!! I created 3 new toons for the Delta recruitment thing last year, have been saying since then " I will NEVER create another character! I have 15 already!" Welp, so much for THAT! If the preview is any indication of whats to come than it looks REALLY fun, I saw scenes from the original K7 interior, the " Journey to Babel" episode, and of course, my favorite part was the scene on the planet where Kirk fought the Gorn! that looked EPIC!!! I have MANY MANY questions before I commit to buying the pack, but I also have MANY MANY $'s available on my credit card, and am just stupid enough to invest even MORE money in this game! The Blog said the story picks up AFTER the events of Kirks 5 year mission, and I think that ties in Awesomely with the 50th anniversary. I am cautiously optimistic about this expansion!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Did someone say GORNs?

Oh boy....gorn_an_the_barbarian_by_rabittooth-d4ri0ei.jpg​​
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    Just the fact that our established characters are locked out of it is a big point against it.
    Were you this upset at the Delta Recruitment thing, too? After all, that also only applied to new characters - and they didn't even get a new leveling experience.

I wasn't this upset at the Delta Recruitment thing, but i am now, i did not participate in that thing.

They are refering to this as an expansion Jonsills, an expansion to my definition includes "all" my characters, not just a new one.

• Options
    daendaedaendae Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    I didn't really like TOS era, and I feel we should be getting more stuff forward in time. You know, continuing on to 2410 and all that TRIBBLE.
    Also, Borg. What are they (and all the other tons of species we've met and pissed off, like the Undine, Sheliak, etc) doing in the present and future?

Oh and we should totally meet a resurgent Tkon empire.