test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Game has the Best PvP ? How does STO Compare ?

taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
edited April 2016 in Ten Forward
I'd like opinions on what game offers the best PVP in comparison to STO. Your esteemed opinions are greatly appreciated.

Preferably something balanced, fair, fun and is not 100% pay2win.
(Anything on ps4 or PC)

And what could STO learn from that game.

Because I quit STO PvP shortly after DR I'm still playing PvE and enjoying it, but I quit PvP because I hate the road its been going down, one filled with p2w, powercreep, and ability cheese (shield bypass stuff).
So I just need to find something new until they add a "Stock Starship" mode. Lol

And I'm not here to dump on STO, because I think the graphics for space combat are really nice (minus some ability spam) and generally, PvP was a ton of fun pre DR.
Theyve got a really strong base here for it, excellent especially if you love trek, but the PvP meta is just not for me anymore, too much frustration and "Keeping up with the Jones" for my liking.

So suggestions on the Best PVP game currently, and how could STO learn from it.
(I realize some people still enjoy the PvP here, so if that's you, I mean you no offense by saying I dislike it.)
Just looking for something new to try.
[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
Post edited by jodarkrider on

Comments

• darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Insurgency or World of Warships....pretty fun.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    World of warships
    6tviTDx.png

• irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Should this be in Ten Forward ?

Big fan of War Thunder just now, quite fun with integrated air and ground units, three modes of play (Arcade is basically World Of Tanksish, Realistic adds a bit more Sim elements, Simulation more so, but not hardcore sim as in read a 300 page manual to work out how to turn on your engine). Bit grindy to unlock new vehicles, gear them up and increase crew skills, but pretty much painless until you get to the top end of the tech trees where it takes a while.

Balanced pretty well on most maps (some of the older, smaller Arcade maps have issues depending on the mission type). Or at least, depending on who you ask, there's "Russian Bias", "German Bias", British Bias" and "American Bias" :)

If you want to go space, Star Conflict was quite decent although admittedly I haven't touched it for months (nothing wrong with it, just not got the time).
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Eve Online. Best pvp and player gank ing ever
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I'm with @semalda226 on this... EVE, from the ship pew pew to the economic warfare of Trump proportions...
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    I like ESO's open world pvp/faction war.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    WG titiles. World of Tanks/Warships. Pretty much straight PvP action.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I'd like opinions on what game offers the best PVP in comparison to STO. Your esteemed opinions are greatly appreciated.

Counterstrike and Team Fortress 2 are still pretty solid PVP experiences. World of Warships I've heard good things about and what I've seen of it, I think would translate well to STO players so I'd certainly throw in my rec for that along with the above posts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Dota 2.

The massive amount of weekly patches that address things constantly are however way out of the capabilities of a smaller company like Cryptic.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    Overwatch. It's sooo much fun. Another week or so and you can play it.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    If you want space based pvp there's a little game called Dark Space that's nothing but. No power creep, no OP equipment, no "must haves", just 3 faction open pvp. The playerbase is a bit on the small side nowadays and it's got it's share of self-entitled jerks (then again what PVP game doesn't?), but it must be doing something right because it's still around after 16 years.

Oh, and it has active projectile tracking so you get to manually dodge cannonfire and missiles. No accuracy or evasion stats to worry about, but potentially lots of friendly fire if you don't watch where you're shooting.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    For me it's been Legions Overdrive for a long time back when it was quite active. Now it's a weekend thing or occasional group based on a site announcer. It's 100% free and pure PvP FPS-Z focusing on gameplay and not graphics.

A direct successor following on the original Tribes legacy (something Ascend has failed to do IMO) will be Midair, which as far as I know will be F2P with minimal paid unlocks that in no way impact gameplay so that it is balanced and places no one at a disadvantage.

It remains to be seen if they manage to deliver their promise, but it's something I've been looking forward to for years since the original announcement about a new game engine, and then Project-Z which turned into Midair as long as the new engine retains the pure responsiveness that others fall short on (eg. Ascend). The only disadvantage to it is the game depends not just on pure skill, strategy, team play, coordination, and map experience, but also latency to wherever the server is.

I've only ever been a mid-range player there, and that's okay considering the skill of pros who practice daily. I manage 1st place by total points in public CTFs on my best matches and tend to play capper. A real optical gaming mouse set to native DPI is also in my experience very helpful if not essential.

What could STO learn from it? The gameplay and business models are completely different, but if there's one thing that comes out of it, it's that real balanced PvP is its own endless fun, and unless the Pro players are the designers and engage the community for game changes for feedback, and Very Carefully introduce/remove new elements based based on their own extensive testing and player feedback, the PvP aspect becomes unbalanced and the diversity of game aspects and their many combinations will crumble as will the fun of it all.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    The United States Air Force drone program.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Replayability on that game is too low. I recommend skipping it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You gotta be on the winning side of the k:d ratio.
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Not only that, but the cost to play that game is completely inacceptable.

Just make sure there are no weddings near you. And you never wed. Problem solved.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited April 2016

Preferably something balanced, fair, fun and is not 100% pay2win.
    (Anything on ps4 or PC)

And what could STO learn from that game.

Because I quit STO PvP shortly after DR I'm still playing PvE and enjoying it, but I quit PvP because I hate the road its been going down, one filled with p2w, powercreep, and ability cheese (shield bypass stuff).
    So I just need to find something new until they add a "Stock Starship" mode. Lol

And I'm not here to dump on STO, because I think the graphics for space combat are really nice (minus some ability spam) and generally, PvP was a ton of fun pre DR.
    Theyve got a really strong base here for it, excellent especially if you love trek, but the PvP meta is just not for me anymore, too much frustration and "Keeping up with the Jones" for my liking.

So suggestions on the Best PVP game currently, and how could STO learn from it.
    (I realize some people still enjoy the PvP here, so if that's you, I mean you no offense by saying I dislike it.)
    Just looking for something new to try.

PVP SUCKS IN THIS GAME IT IS A WALLET WAR. It is not a contest of who is the better player in this game but who has the fattest wallet. Until pvp is radicly changed it will continue to be a both hated and a dead thing here. I do have some ideas how to fix PVP in STO but wallet whales won't like it.
    1) No ship higher then T3 and no lockbox ships or gear.
    2) Only premade ships
    3) Stock gear limited to what is available for a Capt. of T3 level no crafted or upgraded gear.
    4) PVP is spun off seperate from PVE and has nothing at all to do with PVE
    5) A weekly reward for high score in PVP of either dilth or Zen.

talonxv wrote: »
    WG titiles. World of Tanks/Warships. Pretty much straight PvP action.

Both pay to wins. So again they are a wallet war game.
    Best PVP before it became bot world and camper ganking city was Halo Combat Evolved.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Hey thanks for the suggestions people I can't quote anyone as I'm on my phone, but I appreciate the suggestions.

Several for WoWarships and War Thunder.
    I may have to check out Warships.
    Played War Thunder for quite a while but not for over a month. But it was pretty enjoyable actually.

A few mentioned EVE, but not sure if they were kidding around, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews for that game. Some praise it while others seem to think its the worst thing ever.

Got a few oldies suggested like Counterstrike and Team Fortress 2...never tried these myself, but everything I've heard about them is pretty positive.
    I may look into these. Last I checked Xbox they had counterstrike available for fairly cheap. Was on sale at the time.
    And I suppose if they've lasted this long they must have a good formula.
    Dark Space must be similar to CS and TF2 if its been around 16 years...

DOTA2 and ESO I've not heard of them and will look into them when I get a moment.

Overwatch must be a new game as Kassy seems to imply its not yet available (must be in Beta I assume) ill look into that one as well.

Alcyoneserene thanks for the comparison. Ill also take note of your suggestions as well.

Thekodanarmada... US Drone program..could be fun. :wink:
    Might be a bit too much of a simulation for my liking lol.

Ssbn655 wonder if that's anything like Destiny, been playing a little of that recently its made by Bungie, and they definatly put out a solid shooter.

Right now I'm distracted with SW Battlefront, but the bugs are a bit annoying.

As far as patrickngo's commentary goes, I can see your points, and don't disagree with them. But I do think you're being a tad tough on the PvE part of STO.
    But I can see where you're coming from.
    Convincing arguments.

Anyway, just came back to thank you all for replying.. I've got plenty of research to do on these suggestions. Hopefully I can find myself a few other games to try out.

Ill still be logging in daily to STO. Not planning to abandon it or anything. But it is nice to have some variety.
    If anyone has other suggestions, please feel free to post em, and ill look into those as well.
    Thanks again.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Dark Space must be similar to CS and TF2 if its been around 16 years...

Not really, DS is a tactical space combat sim with 3D graphics played on a 2D field, CS and TF2 are FPS. But if you mean it in the sense that it endures because the community keeps it alive then I suppose that's a fair comparison.
    A few mentioned EVE, but not sure if they were kidding around, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews for that game. Some praise it while others seem to think its the worst thing ever.

EVE is fun if you're a numbers person and enjoy things like spreadsheets and doing lots of math. Also, if you die your ship and whatever was on it is gone for good and you have to get a new one. It's fairly hardcore in that respect, it's basically the far opposite end of the spectrum from STO.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    Eve Online. Best pvp and player gank ing ever

YES...I second this.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    No F2P game in existence doesn't have some element of P2W. To pull out an old cliché Skill > Gear... if your opponent has both then your just screwed. For STO to be truly successful at both PVE and PVP it would need to have the mechanics separated for each so that they work differently, this would in essence be two separate games however with very different learning curves.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Don't listen to anyone saying World of Warships. It has the worst matchmaking I've ever seen. Putting players with tier one ships in with players with tier four ships. Players with the tier ones get crushed instantly.

Try Dreadnought. It has actual balance. (Something the Dreadnought Devs have worked really hard on.) It might just be in beta, but it has better matchmaking than any Wargaming game I've seen.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    Try also SWTOR...not that great but still better than STO and not so upscale as EVE.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Try Dreadnought. It has actual balance. (Something the Dreadnought Devs have worked really hard on.) It might just be in beta, but it has better matchmaking than any Wargaming game I've seen.
    What's their monetization model? That should tell you a lot about how balanced the game will continue to be.

The only games I've somewhat enjoyed pvp in... well.... ironically enough... STO.

I've also played several(Dragon City, Monster Legends, Avengers Alliance) where there is pseudo-pvp. IE, you put together a team, then opponents fight an AI controlled version of your team. You of course only fight against AIs. Whether it's balanced is hard to say, each of the three games I'm thinking of has it's own version of low level scrubs, and new players have no chance at beating older players. This is in part due to the level systems. Much like STO you start at level 1 with only token starter gear that's useless crud. in all three getting better stuff requires grinding or $$$. But you can get decent stuff by grinding, it's time consuming, but totally doable.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • solardynamosolardynamo Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I've never seen a PVP ever where people are happy about it. Even when every player can access the exact same items and skills, they will go blame lag, matchmaking, or just claim it's unbalanced in some way.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    What's their monetization model? That should tell you a lot about how balanced the game will continue to be.

From what I remember off-hand, mostly aesthetic options. Though I believe you can buy points (which can also be ground for), which you can use to buy weapons or modules. However, since the devs try to make all the modules as balanced as possible, I would say it isn't a P2W game.

Edit: There is also the option of buying your way into the closed beta, at the moment. (Which includes a few goodies.)

What I would recommend is play dreadnought for pvp (though it's also going to have a story mode at some point), and then play STO for everything else. The two seem to compliment each other. (The STO devs have given up on pvp, and the Dreadnought devs aren't interested in making pve/raid content.)
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    From what I remember off-hand, mostly aesthetic options. Though I believe you can buy points (which can also be ground for), which you can use to buy weapons or modules. However, since the devs try to make all the modules as balanced as possible, I would say it isn't a P2W game.

Edit: There is also the option of buying your way into the closed beta, at the moment. (Which includes a few goodies.)

What I would recommend is play dreadnought for pvp (though it's also going to have a story mode at some point), and then play STO for everything else. The two seem to compliment each other. (The STO devs have given up on pvp, and the Dreadnought devs aren't interested in making pve/raid content.)
    Enh, it'll probably have OP combos. The value of each stat in a game is relative to the values of each other stat. Breaking balance is inevitable.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • deicide#1497 deicide Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I hate to say it. I'm a bit peeved at the devs atm. But still best pvp game (cross platform) Is my other game I play. Vega Conflict