test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tears of the Hadrian

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
“Captain Walker,” said the professor, clearly irritated by the interruption. “Since you’ve already taken this class, I assume you are here on official business.”

Check out our latest fiction piece here!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Comments

• Options
    kingmj4891kingmj4891 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    These are great, but please add them in the game. Have them accessible from Ready Room or something.

readyroomdoor.gif
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    kingmj4891 wrote: »
    These are great, but please add them in the game. Have them accessible from Ready Room or something.

This. Don't tell the games' story in blogform, let us read them via the mission selector and then archive them to the ready room computer or reopen memory alpha as a library for these texts.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    robofearthrobofearth Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Agree 100% that these should be archived. They really enhance the plots and make for a richer experience. Some person or persons at STO obviously put in a lot of thought and imagination into these posts. It is a shame that they have less than a week of shelf life. I'm playing earlier arcs for the first time now, and enjoy uncovering past "backstories", even if it takes a few extra steps to do so. The request to archive these comes out practically every time one is released now, and I think many players would appreciate an option easily access these backstories relating to episodes or story arcs if they wish.
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Hmmm...Hadrian was an emperor, kind of like an Imperial Sovereign, or a Regent of large empire.

*Adjusts tinfoil hat*

Let the speculation commence!
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    Hmmm...Hadrian was an emperor, kind of like an Imperial Sovereign, or a Regent of large empire.

*Adjusts tinfoil hat*

Half-Life 3 confirmed?
  • Options
    imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Yeah, it would be nice to have some location to read these in-game.
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    T6 Captain Kirk/William Shatbner ship, doff, boff.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »

...Story mentioned Judea and jews > Shatner is jewish > Shatner incoming confirmed > Shatner captain of Enterprise > featured episodes are all endgame > endgame is for T6 ships > Shatner must appear in Enterprise related FE > episode must be endgame and therefore ship must be T6 > T6 constitution class confirmed

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

Coincidence? I think not
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »

...Story mentioned Judea and jews > Shatner is jewish > Shatner incoming confirmed > Shatner captain of Enterprise > featured episodes are all endgame > endgame is for T6 ships > Shatner must appear in Enterprise related FE > episode must be endgame and therefore ship must be T6 > T6 constitution class confirmed

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

Coincidence? I think not

Ah-ha! And Tiberius, like in James Tiberius Kirk, was another Roman Emperor!!!!!!!
    jaturnley wrote: »

Half-Life 3 confirmed?

Wow, I don't know how I missed that one! Absolutely!
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Wow. Someone did their quantum mechanics homework on this one. And a bit of ancient history too.
    Just one note: We don't know for sure wether this temporal wavefuction is collapsed due to being experienced by consiousness.
    There are other interpretations of quantum mechanics that view the entire universe as a quantum mechanical system and all realities/timelines within as being in constant superposition with no collapsing wavefunction at all.
    In other words, they see the universe as one giant Schrödinger's Box and us as Schrödinger's cat. In Trek canon, the TNG episode Parallels supports this interpretation.
    Post edited by mrspidey2 on
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    Great for RP but a wall of text for the pew..pew..pew crowd mouse-3.gif​​
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    signumpaxsignumpax Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Well written short story. I like it :)
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Cryptic, one of your past MMOs had a Roman zone - let's get this done. :)

Also - 'time and tide' I see.

This was a great read.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    So the stealth technology the Na'khul have was developed in the 27th century and deployed in the 29th century? And when was this class? The 29th or 31st century?

readyroomdoor.gif

Agreed. Though some of them are things that we wouldn't actually have access to.

Still I'd like to see them instituted as a holographic cut scenes.
    angrytarg wrote: »

This. Don't tell the games' story in blogform, let us read them via the mission selector and then archive them to the ready room computer or reopen memory alpha as a library for these texts.​​

I'd be happy with both.
    robofearth wrote: »
    Agree 100% that these should be archived. They really enhance the plots and make for a richer experience. Some person or persons at STO obviously put in a lot of thought and imagination into these posts. It is a shame that they have less than a week of shelf life. I'm playing earlier arcs for the first time now, and enjoy uncovering past "backstories", even if it takes a few extra steps to do so. The request to archive these comes out practically every time one is released now, and I think many players would appreciate an option easily access these backstories relating to episodes or story arcs if they wish.

True true.

*Adjusts tinfoil hat*

I like your style.
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Wow. Someone did their quantum mechanics homework on this one. And a bit of ancient history too.
    Just one note: We don't know for sure wether this temporal wavefuction is collapsed due to being experienced by consiousness.
    There are other interpretations of quantum mechanics that view the entire universe as a quantum mechanical entity and all realities/timelines within as being in constant superposition with no collapsing wavefunction at all.
    In other words, they see the universe as one giant Schrödinger's Box and us as Schrödinger's cat. In Trek canon, the TNG episode Parallels supports this interpretation.

The professor sounds hot, but I hate this class already and it hasn't even happened yet.

tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    That was a very interesting one. Hopefully, we'll get to meet the professor and Teadhu in person during another visit into the future.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    donitiardonitiar Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    This is a message from the future, there would be no way to access it in the game.
  • Options
    knightnbluknightnblu Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Great story, but time is still viewed as a linear event. Think of it as three dimensional in nature and you will have the right of it.
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    I'm a history nut, so the fact that this referenced Hadrian and his lover Antinous seriously made me giddy with excitement! It was also a very interesting read, as I was thoroughly entertained! It's always nice when writers take advantage of real-life plot holes from historical records and fill in the blanks with their own stories. Makes it all more believable and creates a nice tie-in between fact and fiction. Well done!
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    alphahydri wrote: »
    I'm a history nut, so the fact that this referenced Hadrian and his lover Antinous seriously made me giddy with excitement! It was also a very interesting read, as I was thoroughly entertained! It's always nice when writers take advantage of real-life plot holes from historical records and fill in the blanks with their own stories. Makes it all more believable and creates a nice tie-in between fact and fiction. Well done!

Agreed 100%
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    A Na'kuhl assassin, decked out with high-tech gizmos like a particle beam rifle, distortion fields for stealth, tech for time travel, with the necessary training for covert field work; captured and executed by people who still thought the Earth was the center of everything.

To our health, Terrans! *raises glass* :smile:

These blogs are introducing some really interesting people. :smile: Teadhu and Prof. Barkley are just the latest addition to a collection of characters they could put into episodes in the game. :smile: Hoping to see some of them at some point.

Like Elyos and Whetu from Utopia Planitia? <wink> ^^
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User

*cough* Memory Alpha *cough* arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1208604/time-to-re-open-memory-alpha-as-a-true-repository-of-knowledge/p1
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Or news kiosks in social zones, with a limited web browser showing the blogs from the STO site... pleuralmesothelioma even a news terminal in our ready rooms on ship.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

One the one hand, I do admit there is a certain amount of...sillyness...in saying "I don't want to read this on a web page, but I do want to read it in game". On the other hand, I still feel that way. I guess it just creates a disconnect that shouldn't exist when it would be so easy to put this into an in game report of some type.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User

*Adjusts tinfoil hat*

Sovy T6 Emperor class? ;)
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Did I just read a story with pedophilia in it?

I just googled "his favorite" to see what would display. Here is the number one hit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Favorite

Why in the world is pedophilia being shown as an acceptable behavior?​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    thetanine wrote: »
    Did I just read a story with pedophilia in it?

I just googled "his favorite" to see what would display. Here is the number one hit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Favorite

Why in the world is pedophilia being shown as an acceptable behavior?​​

I'm really not sure what to make of it...

Daesk slipped into the rivers of the Nile under the cover of night. She swam easily up to the largest boat in the flotilla. She climbed up the side of the boat, flipping on her distortion field to hide her from any prying eyes.

Fortunately, she was able to avoid detection as she found her way to Hadrian’s cabin. For an emperor, he slept in surprisingly spartan surroundings. She disabled the single guard at the door to his cabin, lowering him gently to the ground.

She eased the cabin door open. The wood scraped on the floor, but she saw no stirring from the forms in the bed.

She raised her rifle and took aim at the larger form on the bed. Just as she was about to squeeze the trigger, the smaller form leapt out of the bed at her, tackling her to the ground in an impressive leap. Her weapon discharged, directly into the chest of the Greek youth atop her. He flew back into a seated position for a moment, his youthful beardless face registered shock and amazement. He looked down at the large hole in his chest, and slumped to the floor.

Hadrian had risen from the bed, and having seen the damage to his favorite, struggled with her for her weapon. “Empusa!” he shouted.

Two sailors came bursting in the room at the noise and helped Hadrian disarm and secure her. They bound her with rope.

As soon as she was secure, Hadrian bent over his favorite, Antinous. “You, who made my life complete, have now saved it. The world shall know your name,” as he wept over the cooling corpse.

“Emperor, what shall we do with this creature?”

“She can only be the spawn of Hecate. So back to Hecate she must go. She must be sacrificed, at midnight, at the crossroads. And none can ever know of the events of this night. It can never be learned that such a beast made an attempt on my life.”

“It shall be so, my lord.”

Maybe the person who wrote the story can explain the intent?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User

Quite to the contrary. The author uses that specific phrase more than once, which is what caused me to question what I was reading. "His Favorite" is clearly a euphemistic way of hiding male child to male adult sex.

If you think pedophilia is acceptable, then I can see why you might want to defend this. As for me, I'll have no part in it.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    thetanine wrote: »

Quite to the contrary. The author uses that specific phrase more than once, which is what caused me to question what I was reading. "His Favorite" is clearly a euphemistic way of hiding male child to male adult sex.

If you think pedophilia is acceptable, then I can see why you might want to defend this. As for me, I'll have no part in it.​​

I did not "defend" anything. What I said was that googling the two words "his favorite" were not likely to find anything related to this specific story, because of how generic they are. But I do agree the context seems to suggest what you say, especially considering the words I highlighted in my previous post.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg