test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why not give people a free respec weekend?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
So, new skill system. Yay! Of course, a new system can take some getting used to. So, to show some love for the people who pay the bills and keep the game going, how about a free respec weekend? Play around, mess up, go back and fix it all weekend until you finally know what you want. After all, I'm sure the people who pay the bills will keep buying those new ships, so it probably wouldn't be too much of a loss in the long run.

Or would that just be too darn generous?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    40% off respec tokens is practically giving them away!​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Sounds like a great idea to me.
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »
    40% off respec tokens is practically giving them away!​​

Yeah a sale is cool and all, no doubt. But that still requires people to actually, you know, buy them. The idea I mentioned was a free respec weekend. Basically...
    "you know, we really love you guys for paying the bills and keeping this game going, and we know we just completely changed the skill system, so have this weekend to figure it out for free"

But wait. How will those bills get paid if they give people a free respec weekend? That's a great question. And the great answer is...people will keep buying those ships and master keys, no doubt. So Cryptic does the community a solid, and the community keeps doing it's thing and paying those bills. Kind of a win/win.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    40% off respec tokens is practically giving them away!

Yeah a sale is cool and all, no doubt. But that still requires people to actually, you know, buy them. The idea I mentioned was a free respec weekend. Basically...
    "you know, we really love you guys for paying the bills and keeping this game going, and we know we just completely changed the skill system, so have this weekend to figure it out for free"

But wait. How will those bills get paid if they give people a free respec weekend? That's a great question. And the great answer is...people will keep buying those ships and master keys, no doubt. So Cryptic does the community a solid, and the community keeps doing it's thing and paying those bills. Kind of a win/win.

I have no idea how these other MMOs stay in business, they use free in-game currencies for respecs, and offer things like multi-spec builds so players don't feel forced into playing a certain type of build. I seem to recall that was a selling point to the old skill tree system, where Cryptic designed it in such a way you could use the same skill points for a variety of ship types.

Crazy stuff.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    kwyjenkwyjen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    It does sound like a good idea B)
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    kwyjen wrote: »
    It does sound like a good idea B)

I agree but does anyone here think they would do something like that? I bet this post was a good laugh for them.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    They are doing a giveaway a day. One day could be another respec/character or a 5 pack per account.
  • Options
    40% off respec tokens is practically giving them away!

I have no idea how these other MMOs stay in business, they use free in-game currencies for respecs, and offer things like multi-spec builds so players don't feel forced into playing a certain type of build. I seem to recall that was a selling point to the old skill tree system, where Cryptic designed it in such a way you could use the same skill points for a variety of ship types.

Crazy stuff.​​

Huh?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    As I said in another Thread they just invented a Four Pack of these Tokens. The current Sales Price (at most) should be the new List Price and the Sale on that. But a free Respec Week is a good idea (we are too early in the week for a 'Weekend').

Absent that, one of the Daily Freebies could/should be that Four Pack.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Because it would invalidate the main reason for re-doing the skill system for the umpteenth time, money!

Crazy stuff.​​

SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 do just fine, but then they mostly sell cosmetic items in the store..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    good thing i still have a lot respec tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Because it would invalidate the main reason for re-doing the skill system for the umpteenth time, money!

Crazy stuff.​​

SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 do just fine, but then they mostly sell cosmetic items in the store..

swtor gets it's money though selling content and making ftp as painful as possible, so you sub. I personally prefer cyptics way. at least with sto you can get anything with enough grinding.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    nightken wrote: »
    sunfrancks wrote: »

Crazy stuff.​​

swtor gets it's money though selling content and making ftp as painful as possible, so you sub. I personally prefer cyptics way. at least with sto you can get anything with enough grinding.

I am a sub in STO with my LTS, so I would expect to get free respecs like I do in SWTOR.

I totally agree that f2p should still pay for respecs, though I hate that they have to pay for content..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Because they want to make money off this "skill revamp" that's why.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    spc1spc1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Go to test server and test stuff out, you have infinite number of respects there. Once you're satisfied with your skills do the same on live/main server.
    Even free to play players can test stuff on test server.

:)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    spc1 wrote: »
    Go to test server and test stuff out, you have infinite number of respects there. Once you're satisfied with your skills do the same on live/main server.

Was just going to say this.

There has been a free respec weekend. There has even been a free respec month. Of course some people couldn't be bothered to make use of that and actually test things first, but that's their own problem.
  • Options
    risian4 wrote: »

There has been a free respec weekend. There has even been a free respec month. Of course some people couldn't be bothered to make use of that and actually test things first, but that's their own problem.

Why does anyone have to have a "problem"? Why do you feel the need to "blame" anyone? I'm suggesting Cryptic do something really cool and nice to show how much they appreciate the people who pay the bill and keep the game alive. There is no reason to start throwing mud.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    So, new skill system. Yay! Of course, a new system can take some getting used to. So, to show some love for the people who pay the bills and keep the game going, how about a free respec weekend? Play around, mess up, go back and fix it all weekend until you finally know what you want. After all, I'm sure the people who pay the bills will keep buying those new ships, so it probably wouldn't be too much of a loss in the long run.

Or would that just be too darn generous?

I support that idea as well.
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User

Why does anyone have to have a "problem"? Why do you feel the need to "blame" anyone? I'm suggesting Cryptic do something really cool and nice to show how much they appreciate the people who pay the bill and keep the game alive. There is no reason to start throwing mud.

It wasn't so much a reaction to this specific topic, it's more a reaction to all the complaints of people who claim that the revamp is a fail, that they don't know which skills to take, that they can't respec for free to try things out etc. I'm not throwing mud, I'm slightly annoyed not so much by your suggestion but more by all the whining in general. I guess that's what happens if you read too many of these threads in a row...
    and I'm not the only one as Trendy herself appeared rather irked by all these complaints. Something I can understand and I'm experiencing it myself and I don't even work for Cryptic. I can only imagine that it's much more annoying to all the people who put in a lot of effort to create this new system, only to find lots of people complaining about stuff they could have avoided by actually participating in the testing of the new system.

Yes, it would be really cool and nice. But ultimately it would be completely unnecessary since, as noted, there has been ample opportunity to do what you are suggesting. That option is still there btw. Your suggestion seems to ignore that fact. I'm sorry, it wasn't directed at you specific, it's just that, in general, the ignorance on this subject (the skill revamp, not so much this specific thread) is too high imo.
  • Options
    Yes, it would be really cool and nice. But ultimately it would be completely unnecessary since, as noted, there has been ample opportunity to do what you are suggesting. That option is still there btw. Your suggestion seems to ignore that fact. I'm sorry, it wasn't directed at you specific, it's just that, in general, the ignorance on this subject (the skill revamp, not so much this specific thread) is too high imo.

A lot of nice things people do aren't "necessary", but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be done. And yes, people could do the huge download of test center and copy characters over and test that out. That's true. I'm only saying it would be cool if Cryptic decided to do the players a solid this weekend on the live server. That's all.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I dunno, it seems like one of many obvious possibilities. That they didn't do this (so far at least) is probably not a sign that they didn't come up with the idea.

From the talk from the devs before the release of 11.5 it seemed to me that there were voices at Cryptic that wanted to make it cheaper or give more free respecs or whatever, but there were also voices that disagreed with major changes or major price reductions. I guess the bean counters won. *shrug*

Personall, I suspect that it's an overreported issue on the forums anyway. THe skill cart system might have been a bit more forgiving on a single mis-click, but it was very arcane so that once you had made your build and confirmed it didn't mean you made good picks. And yet I have most of my respec tokens from my lifetime subscription still left. Even on my main character that existed already before the first skill revamp. (Anyone still remember when you had to spec your ship type and your energy type?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I blame people who use scare quotes excessively.

Also stop begging for free things from nerdgames.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    Also stop begging for free things from nerdgames.

No one is begging, just suggesting B)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Most people have their (old) builds nailed down, hence chances are that respec sales have dropped.

Would'n make sense to "give" people free respecs, apart from the first one, since half the reason this skill revamp was likely approved in the first place, was to renew the income base for this.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    chilly1973chilly1973 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    i think the whole point is to confuse us and make us buy respec tokens. its a dumb move by the devs. the things i wanna say but i need to keep it mature so nobody gets but-t hurt over my opinion.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I managed without a single respec. :) (I hate respecs to begin with, as they unslot your Traits), as I went on Tribble first, to get everything right.

Personally, I'd rather see a 'We will fix all the loudouts for free' weekend. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    They could eliminate much of the grief over this by changing respec tokens to allow a player to respec an unlimited number of times within a set time period. For example, using a respec token allows the player to respec at will as they experiment with builds for up to 24 hours.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    Respecting should be free from now on after what they just did.
  • Options
    rogueange11usrogueange11us Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    this new skill tree system is horrible. and the forced retrain thrust upon us was an underhanded tactic. I did read the arc messages and posts and they said we would get a free retrain token for the new skill tree system. it did NOT say a forced retrain and all our skill tree points removed and leave us with no skills assigned.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9912163

it says as follows :

We're thrilled to see all the Captains exploring our new Skill System! We understand Captains may change their builds, so not only have we given out a Retrain Token for all Captains, we're putting them on a 40% Sale!

From now until Thursday 4/21 at 9AM PDT, we are having a 40% off sale on Skill Retrains!
    •Captain Retrain Bundle
    •Captain Retrain Token

We hope you enjoy this promotion, and we’ll see you in-game!

so it says a free retrain token and a sale. it does NOT say you will receive a forced retrain and have all points removed. I understand the need for change and the need to add new things. so why not just add them to the already established and perfectly functional skill tree? that tree was great to allow us to customize our builds any way we want and gave us the ability to personalize them to suit our build needs and styles. pick this skill and then apply this much points/power to it to the level you desire. repeat as needed on other skills and bingo you get what you want. plus we had way more points to apply and make things how we wanted. this new space 47 point ground 10 point idea is bad. at the least space should be 50 and ground 12 to give a little more ability to set up our builds the way we want to. it limits players a lot. I have talked to many players and also heard the chatter in game at assorted places like ESD and the KDF academy and homeworld and new Romulus and DS 9 and drozana and a lot of people are not happy with the new skill tree let alone losing their builds and having to star t from scratch trying to work up a build. cryptic did that only to force token sales for people will have to buy new tokens after burning the single free token and get to spend more money trying to get tokens until they can work a build up to their liking. plus add to the fact it makes us purchase EACH point separately. that is BS. the old skill tree let us assign points to equall a total and THEN we purchased the total set up AFTER assigning the points where we wanted. it is underhanded and quite frankly dishonest to force us to purchase each point separately instead of a finalized set up purchase. another point is this new tree more or less eliminates individualization of a skill tree and makes many people have similar builds. I have also checked this with people. many I heard had builds quite the same now due to the limited range of set up now. so much for we players playing the game the way we wanted. again cryptic pulled a fast one there. sure I know some of you will flame me for this post and some will say oh stop whining/crying and some will be like so what go buy tokens and some will just plain ignore this. that is everyone's choice. at least you all have those choices. not everyone can buy a lot of tokens to try to work out a build or make up for a mis-click or wanting to change a point application before hitting the total points. this game used to be about the players and for the players to enjoy. now it seems it is only for cryptic $ and those who can do what they please or don't care how it goes because they can get what they want.

I mean no offence for this post and if anyone takes any offence I apologize. I am just speaking my mind and that is my choice.