test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Installing STOL on a Mac using Wine skin (run .exe): PLEASE HELP !!???!?!?!

Hi everyone,
I should be working but I find myself trying to install STOL on my computer (yes the one I work with haha).
I've been playing this, the past few months and put a LOT of time in it (and a little bit of money).
So... now a direct Mac client is no longer supported, I'm trying to install the Windows client with a skin.
I need HELP!?

I've installed "Wine" and "Winebottler". This allows me to run any Windows .exe on it.
However... I don't have the .exe from STOL. I have the .exe file of an installer "StarTrekDownloaderST170111218a12.exe".
This doesn't work: It tries to install this downloader but stalls halfway. A little window opens and the download bar is there. But it doesn't move.
Have I got the wrong downloader?
Can you please post a link to the right downloader?
Will this work at all? There's no dialog where it wants to install it.
Is there a way to get the complete .exe file of the client?
I have the complete client, but it has the .app behind it. so it doesn't work. :-(
Is there some step-by-step guide to install this?
Please help?

Comments

• reptilespantoso#9594 reptilespantoso Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    When I run the normal installer (the one that worked yesterday before the last 11.5 patch) I could download the new patch.
    But then it tries to run it and I get the following error:

Exception raised
    Unimplemented function NTDLL.dll.RtlGetVersion
    called at address 0x007f7c28.
    Would you like to create a crash report?

Which is normal... it tries to run the .exe on Mac OS.
    I need to get to that .exe, hidden in the .app. If I have that isolated, I can create a skin. That will work.
    So I need the COMPLETE .exe of the client.
    thanks!
    or please point me to a working downloader?
    HELP?
    Update: so I've opened the Startrekonline.app package and copied the star trek online.exe file to the folder assigned to Winebottler. (it's 65.3 Mb in size) There I opened it as an installer with Winebottler, so now it's again downloading the new 11.5 patch. Install is stopped at halfway (logical).
    Fingers crossed!
    Any tips or help welcome of course!?
    Update: no, it didn't work. It installed the whole 12 Gb of data and then said that it's missing the necessary game data files.
    I give up unless someone can point me at a working solution. sadly I have no more time to spend on this today.
    "unable to find required game data files. If this problem persists, reinstalling the application may fix the situation"

THATS RIGHT. I NEED A GOOD INSTALLER OF THIS GAME. THEN I CAN MAKE A SKIN AND RUN IT.
    Please guys (and girls).. where is the installer?
  • solardimensionsolardimension Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    When I run the normal installer (the one that worked yesterday before the last 11.5 patch) I could download the new patch.
    But then it tries to run it and I get the following error:

Exception raised
    Unimplemented function NTDLL.dll.RtlGetVersion
    called at address 0x007f7c28.
    Would you like to create a crash report?

Which is normal... it tries to run the .exe on Mac OS.
    I need to get to that .exe, hidden in the .app. If I have that isolated, I can create a skin. That will work.
    So I need the COMPLETE .exe of the client.
    thanks!

I'm getting this also.
    UPDATE:
    So, I've contacted support and got a reply already (very quick, very good!)

they told me to browse the website through a windows OS, and that an installer link should appear.
    I've installed a Windows browser, using the Winebottler application (it creates a windows skin called "Wine" around the exe so it can run under Mac OS).

But then I try to run this installer (using the same Winebottler application) it gives me an error. Inside the Windows environment.
    I've included a text file with the detailed track, as an attachment.
    I've pointed the Winebottler at this installer file "Star-trek-online_ArcSetup.exe" and told it it's an installer and to execute it.

I guess Wine wants to see the actual .exe game client (the one created by the installer mentioned above), to create a skin around it. but that's just a guess.
    I've noticed that the previous Mac version of the STOL game (which was quite stable, just a few days ago) was also created using the very same Wine software.
    So I assume that it's not an alien process (pun not intended) for ARC.