test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is the Mac client going away?

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    I'm sorry you feel that the truth is insulting and cynical but it generally is so you should be used to it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your from a heavily Marxist country and therefore have no concept of how business actually works.

Your getting emotional and acting erratically and illogically, you should calm down now and bite your tongue before you say things you really regret.
  • Options
    devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    You don't get it, do you? There are other Mac users who do not have a solution. They are completely disenfranchised from the game. It wouldn't be so bad if there had never been a Mac client. But there was, and now they are cut off.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    devencombs wrote: »
    You don't get it, do you? There are other Mac users who do not have a solution. They are completely disenfranchised from the game. It wouldn't be so bad if there had never been a Mac client. But there was, and now they are cut off.
    They do have a solution. An emulator may not be to your liking but it works for other people. There's a whole thread dedicated to it already.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,528 Arc User

Many of my favorite TV shows have been canceled over the years because not enough people watched them. Life's like that.

STO is not an open-source volunteer collective. STO is not a charity. STO is not a government-run utility provided to all citizens.

STO is a business enterprise.
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    I don't think this is going to work guys, we live in a world full of people who are raised to be irrational and self-serving and the OP appears to be the walking embodiment of both of these.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Like I said before, you guys are all cynics. If the game started as a Mac version, and then introduced a PC client that was cut off in a couple of years, how would you feel?

Personally, I would be disappointed. But I would move on to other games that interests me. Unless for some reason I like STO for Mac so much that I would be willing to shell out a lot of money for a Mac to play a free to play game.

But I would have to love STO so much that I would be willing to spend at least $1,100 for a iMac desktop (that's the bae price) that has very limited upgrade options or $1,600 for their 15" MacBook Pro (their least expensive current 15" laptop).
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Like I said before, you guys are all cynics. If the game started as a Mac version, and then introduced a PC client that was cut off in a couple of years, how would you feel?

Personally, I would be disappointed. But I would move on to other games that interests me. Unless for some reason I like STO for Mac so much that I would be willing to shell out a lot of money for a Mac to play a free to play game.

But I would have to love STO so much that I would be willing to spend at least $1,100 for a iMac desktop (that's the bae price) that has very limited upgrade options or $1,600 for their 15" MacBook Pro (their least expensive current 15" laptop).

I just realized the irony of the OP complaining about the expense of playing on a Mac now...
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Your random and unsupported claims of you making them money do not help your argument at all. Facts are facts.
    Yes. The Mac Client probably cost about the same amount of money to support as the Windows client did, yet made disproportionately less revenue due to low usage. Since we don't have hard numbers, I'll choose to believe that the Cryptic did this because of math and not prejudice.

Oh, my goodness, no. It wasn't a native client. I doubt it cost them much more than the licensing fees for the Cider emulation wrapper. In fact, from all appearances, not only did they spend no developer time working on the Mac client, they didn't even spend any time testing it (because if they had, they surely would have caught the fact that it was completely broken for every user at S11 launch).

The problem, I think, is that Transgaming sold off their emulation business. There is no-one to maintain the wrapper anymore.

I went ahead and ordered a PC so I could keep playing. But given the way they added insult to injury by reneging on their promise of zen reimbursement for Mac users, I won't be using it for any of their other games, or giving them any more money. (I spent about $600 over two years, which seems like quite a bit to me.)
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your from a heavily Marxist country and therefore have no concept of how business actually works.

China seems to be doing much better at it than the U.S.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options

I question your eyesight then.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    lsegn wrote: »

Doin' in six years what took the U.S. 30 years.

xqnmMIO.jpg
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I'm with you dude. I'm on linux. I'm using Playonlinux and it works okay. I think there's a Playonmac version.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    mckurland91mckurland91 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    TRIBBLE! To Cryptic Software, we demand you re-instigate the Mac Client immediately. If you refuse this request, "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!!!!!"
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User

Honestly? I would feel that I got to try the game out, and if I enjoyed it (as much as I do) I would by a POS errr Mac to keep playing.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    DEVENCOMBS i understand you're frustration about the MAC client being cancelled it sucks as does the offer made to entice us to continue using the game but having that backtracked when inquired about.
    But you are right and it is shameful that fellow players show no sympathy whatsoever towards a fellow group of players that have been cut off from the game and can only take an opportunity to have a snipe at MAC's.

Doesn't seem to matter that a group off fellow players have been cut off from the game, some paying customers that have supported the game. MAC bashing seems more important and its the usual i'm alright Jack, so TRIBBLE you.

I just hope those MAC users like me managed to find an alt and continue to play, and long term the loss of any of the MAC community doesn't harm the game with their absence.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Good luck with that. You're demanding that Cryptic lose money because you don't want to bother using a work-around.

I'd rather Cryptic spend their money on new content than subsidizing on Mac gamers. Use boot camp, or PlayOnMac, or raw WINE, or VirtualBox or VMWare or buy a PC.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    Okay, I'm done defending myself against a bunch of cynics. No amount of facts will convince you to show at some consideration. Instead, all I get are insults and putdowns. The fact is that Mac users were invited into the game in 2014 and now we have been unceremoniously cut off. If it was going to lose Cryptic money, then they shouldn't have introduced the Mac client in the first place. But since they made the client anyway, they had no business cutting us off.

Cynics?

Cynicism is claiming that Cryptic would just shut down the mac client out of... what? spite? nastiness? sheer disdain of Mac?

It wasn't a profitable line of business. The sooner you accept it, the sooner you can end your own public display of cynicism.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    So the official announcement of this was made over a month ago. The OP is posting on the forum so clearly knows how to find and use it. Therefore it is only his own fault for not knowing about it.

Pretty much. At this time I think this whole thread is a non-issue and needs closed before it gets even worse.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Because the Windows client is already held together by duct tape and super glue. The Mac client added a new layer (WINE) of duct tape on top of the duct tape.

Basically, duct tape can fix everything but STO.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    solardimensionsolardimension Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    How can you say cryptic is not making money? I am/was a mac user, but now I can no longer play! And I bought a LIFETIME subscription on my mac client, along with several new ships, packs and such.I have spent well over a grand. I have not even gotta a refund!
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Whilst I sympathise with the OP; the fact remains that the Mac OS market share is tiny (aprox 5%) compared to windows OS market share (aprox 90%). Of that 5% market share an even smaller proportion plays STO.
    https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

And whilst Cryptic has provided for this small userbase in the past, they have decided it no longer makes economical sense to continue this support.

Regardless of how one may feel about it, Cryptic is a business not a charity - and if they feel it cost's them more to support the Mac OS than they get back from players who use it; then that a simple business decision, and not bourne of any malice.
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Eh. Macintosh is a dead technology line. It's not like they make STO for the Amiga platform either.

I miss my Amiga sometimes ..... Also all my old computers, Atari 800, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amiga .... I miss them all:(
  • Options
    How can you say cryptic is not making money? I am/was a mac user, but now I can no longer play! And I bought a LIFETIME subscription on my mac client, along with several new ships, packs and such.I have spent well over a grand. I have not even gotta a refund!

One last attempt:

Cryptic was not making ENOUGH money on MAC PLAYERS AS A GROUP to justify the cost of the MAC CLIENT.

If they would need to spend (say) $200,000 a year on salaries and benefits for maintenance but MAC PLAYERS are only spending $150,000 per year then they LOSE $50,000 EVERY YEAR that they keep offering the MAC CLIENT.

It doesn't matter how much you as a single Mac player spent. It's how much all Mac players together spent, compared to the cost of offering the client.

Based on market share, there are 15 times as many PC players. So that's 15 times as much money. They could spend 5 times as much on the Windows client and make a nice profit.

• Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User

xqnmMIO.jpg

Have fun when that bubble bursts.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

xqnmMIO.jpg
    Yeah because dumb asses keep buying made in China items instead of buying domestic made goods that would have kept or brought manufacturing to or in the domestic market. Instead you keep buying product made by companies that moved those jobs and plants to China where the pollution and safety laws are weak. I love those crying we need to be green while they sanp up goods made in China where the air quality makes LA smog of the early 60's look like clean mountian air. You keep pumping cash into a foriegn country and then cry how the U.S. is in the toilet and big business, Republicans, Democrats, yada, yada, are to blame for no jobs and pollution yet ignore you were a huge part of the problem. You vote with your wallet folks wake up!
  • Options
    DEVENCOMBS i understand you're frustration about the MAC client being cancelled it sucks as does the offer made to entice us to continue using the game but having that backtracked when inquired about.
    But you are right and it is shameful that fellow players show no sympathy whatsoever towards a fellow group of players that have been cut off from the game and can only take an opportunity to have a snipe at MAC's.

Doesn't seem to matter that a group off fellow players have been cut off from the game, some paying customers that have supported the game. MAC bashing seems more important and its the usual i'm alright Jack, so TRIBBLE you.

I just hope those MAC users like me managed to find an alt and continue to play, and long term the loss of any of the MAC community doesn't harm the game with their absence.

Thank you. At least someone out there understands. Most everyone else refuses to.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    So the official announcement of this was made over a month ago. The OP is posting on the forum so clearly knows how to find and use it. Therefore it is only his own fault for not knowing about it.

You obviously did not read my first post. I said that I have been heavily involved in college classes for several weeks and I did not have time to keep up on all the news with the game.

I only discovered this when I tried logging in last night and the C-Store was disabled.
This discussion has been closed.