test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quadrant Zone Chats vs ESD Politics/Religion Chats

caltaircaltair Member Posts: 135 Arc User
I think most experienced players have come to expect and recognize Earth Space Dock as being the primary spot for real world topics of discussion like Politics and Religion. I've known that I should only go to ESD if I'm ok with seeing nothing but these conversation topics and that I should not try to ask game related questions in ESD. To be honest I'm fine with that arrangement, I believe everyone should be able to discuss what interests them and be able to voice their thoughts and opinions with like-minded people.

But please, can we avoid having large political/religious discussions in the Quadrant Zone Chats? Everyone then has no choice but to fight to get any game related conversation heard because of these real world conversations which are overtaking the airways. I don't mind talking about politics from time to time but I'm not interested in seeing it all the time or have it interrupt my gaming time.

Can we get some encouragement to limit political/religious conversations to the already known and existing hot spots like ESD and DS9? Or maybe some more ways to filter out zone chat conversations. It does get tedious having to ignore each individual participating in the unwanted discussion. Is there some politics or religion specific channel that can be advertised to these players? Just so we can keep the airways in our game chat boxes clean and useful for game related content.

Thank you.
liCO4Xm.jpg
Post edited by caltair on

Comments

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    caltair wrote: »
    I think most experienced players have come to expect and recognize Earth Space Dock as being the primary spot for real world topics of discussion like Politics and Religion. I've known that I should only go to ESD if I'm ok with seeing nothing but these conversation topics and that I should not try to ask game related questions in ESD. To be honest I'm fine with that arrangement, I believe everyone should be able to discuss what interests them and be able to voice their thoughts and opinions with like-minded people.

But please, can we avoid having large political/religious discussions in the Quadrant Zone Chats? Everyone then has no choice but to fight to get any game related conversation heard because of these real world conversations which are overtaking the airways. I don't mind talking about politics from time to time but I'm not interested in seeing it all the time or have it interrupt my gaming time.

Can we get some encouragement to limit political/religious conversations to the already known and existing hot spots like ESD and DS9? Or maybe some more ways to filter out zone chat conversations. It does get tedious having to ignore each individual participating in the unwanted discussion. Is there some politics or religion specific channel that can be advertised to these players? Just so we can keep the airways in our game chat boxes clean and useful for game related content.

Thank you.

A little chit-chat won't hurt you dude. Socialize a little. Also, alpha quadrant is peaceful.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2015
    The sellers

The trolls

The religious people

anyone else who is annoying

Is on my ignor list and chat looks great...I see people talking about the game asking questions and good debates

The ignor feature is your friend
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Edit: /end profanity filled rant. Don't wanna get banned. Just have to hope that there's no limit to the ignore list.

By the way, where is the ignore list? I know how to send people to it, but I don't know where it's actually located. Which, if this were anything else, would be somewhat of a paradox.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am a firm believer of the ignore list, mine is quite long. I would really like someone to explain to me the reasoning for the zone chat to include religious scripture. I enjoy a healthy discussion like the next person, but I only need religious scripture spoken to me twice a week, and those two times by my priest.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    caltaircaltair Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    #1: A little chit chat....? I'm not even going to entertain that comment. I hope he was being sarcastic...

#2: The ignore button is of course helpful and necessary but I've found it rather tedious when you are trying to ignore 10-15+ individuals in a fast moving conversation.... Ignore seems to be a temporary fix and not a solution. You just keep having to add more and more ignores as more people move from ESD to Quadrant Zone to basically spam their conversations into the public arena. I'm hoping for something more permanent that is respectful to both sides. It isn't fair for the gamers who take time to play to have to take time out of their gameplay over and over again to hit ignore to a bunch of people just so he/she can make an actual game related comment.

#3: You know it's been so long since I've looked at the ignore list I've forgotten where it is... I think it might be located inside the social button in the minimap but I could be wrong.
    liCO4Xm.jpg
  • Options
    crusader0007crusader0007 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can always "unclick" zone chat on settings. Why even listen to zone chat in any instance? I have done without it for 5.5 years and happily engage to my fleet chat or other private chat channels instead.

Ignorance of zone chat is blissfully delightful. :D:D:D
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I ignore Zone chat. It's devoid of any intellectual conversation, and more akin to a braying chorus of TRIBBLE children.

I stick to fleet, friend, and combat channels.
  • Options
    kittieangel3kittieangel3 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Yes, I really agree with you . This real life talking in any chat area ( ESD , Dronza , Sector space ) needs to stop . Putting them on ignore is the coward way . We need cryptic to ban the ones who talk about religion and politics at least 12-48 hours , in my opinion .
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    Everyone's got a choice, and if you choose to participate there, so be it. But you will never be able to control or regulate the zone chat...

Personally, I start STO to play -that's it- not to join such discussions. I've never seen the point in debating such topics in the ingame chat with dubious people... sometimes endlessly. There are a lot of trolls out there, pretending to be objective & thoughful, but as soon as the chat fades out, they use your own arguments against you.... even "pointless" would be an underrated peroration. There is nobody to blame for, and maybe there are even some constructive things happening... but yeah, I'll pass on that nonetheless.

On the other hand, there are (of course) also a lot of helpful, accommodating... simple nice people in STO. And I am deeply thankful for every single encouter of this kind :)

peace out
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Are you nuts? If you limit quadrant chat to just Gorn puns, Fleet advertisements, trolling and random nonsense the whole chat would be on the ignore list. Besides Alpha and Delta quadrants are peaceful of that kind of dribble.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Love the people who think "ignoring" zone chat is a viable solution.
    Cryptic seriously needs to bring back game moderators to make sure these public channels don't get out of hand, especially in light of the new skill revamp which is specificly done to attract and keep new players coming into the game.
    Zone chat is just so incredibly toxic these days that it actually drives new players around because they don't want to have anything to do with people that behave in such an uncivilized manner.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    LOL, as a primarily KDF player, you Feds are absolutely NUTS :D

It's a much smaller playerbase in the KDF and you can do business on Qo'nos without glancing at your Zone Chat and becoming upset. Which is a bit amusing, TBH. Of course, when the Sector Space Walls Fell, ESD Chat moved into Beta Quadrant Zone Chat but still infects ESD itself.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    I vote for the opposite:

We should "outlaw" any non-serious, non-IRL, non bacon/Gorn discussions anywhere but private channels.

Seriously OP... You have the option to turn zone-chat off... if it bothers you, don't look.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Love the people who think "ignoring" zone chat is a viable solution.
    Cryptic seriously needs to bring back game moderators to make sure these public channels don't get out of hand, especially in light of the new skill revamp which is specificly done to attract and keep new players coming into the game.
    Zone chat is just so incredibly toxic these days that it actually drives new players around because they don't want to have anything to do with people that behave in such an uncivilized manner.

Agreed.

Or at least Zone chat should be turned off by default for new players. We know how to disable certain channels; most new players would probably minimise their entire chat. Which causes problems later on when they don't know what to do in STF's.

Some moderation might not be such a bad idea.

Oh, and this is an old thread btw.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    This is from last year??? Shoot it in the head!
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Why anybody would get annoyed by zone chat is beyond me. But if you really find people discussing subjects like religion, politics or gorn physiology unbearable, then there's a plethora of other options available to you:

Trading channels, question/answer channels, fleet facilities/cell ship invite channels, the little button in the top right of your chat window that let's you close that very same window and if all other options fail you can ignore the people that annoy you the most.

Rather than demanding that a majority of discussions take place on a seperate channel the community has created new channels for specific topics. It was the sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »

Dang... you're right...

Oh well... Second necro today... Looks like the apocalypse is upon us.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    20100916023519_217_Necromancy.jpg

@pwlaughingtrendy get the flamethrower!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »

Here is the shovel, put it back, six feet deep.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    *slides inb4 the devs show up*

You want my honest opinion, Zone chat is only good for being an occasional troll, making smarta** jokes, and offering really horrible puns. That's it, that's all. Everything else is boring and about the same sort of shtako I see in the high school cafeteria.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    It may be an old thread but it is no less a current issue with the game.
    Zone chat does need to be moderated, and simply telling players to ignore it solves absolutely nothing. It's still an eyesore that tarnishes the game with all the hate speech and intolerance being spread around on it. And I guarantee you it does drive some new players away.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Did you say the words correctly this time?
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Z-z-z-z-z-z-ombies. Again. Back to the grave you go.
    /Closed
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.