test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Roms and KDF don't matter??? Cryptic PR approach should be rethought

Comments

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    First off, does the blog spell out saving the United Federation of Planets, or the Galactic Federation of the future? I mean, even Dahar Master Kills'Em'All (related to Admiral Kills'Em'All :tongue:) is involved in that Galactic Federation mess... Hero of the timeline, 50th sponsor to the whole thing, statues on Lukari planets, etc. etc. etc.

Secondly, we have a universe that's been living in fear of "Temporal Instigations", KDF included, why else does Devidian-arc contact play as "hush hush" about Bepi 113 and the slingshot maneuver as Drake does? And slathers a lot of "there's no honor in using time travel to set us up as supreme rulers of the universe" on top of the hushy-hush...

Thirdly, you're over a year too late on this gripe "in general". Right around the Solanae Arc, our lovely Development Team went on record saying "it's a lot easier to write one storyline that's shoehorned into the three factions than it is to write three stories - each 'factionally related' - that shoehorn into the same plot on the same maps"...

Yet, we're expected to "expect different gameplay options if/when we experiment in Red and Green" instead of getting, say, a KDF-Vesta build...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    I'm fine with the whole "everyone doing the same story arcs" and Galactic Union. That isn't my problem.

As for everyone coming here to play the starship captain from their childhood... hmm.. Trek fans will be equally likely to come here and play the Klingons from their childhood, or the nasty RSE Romulans. Non-Trek fans, generic mmo gamers, are more likely to choose fed, just because its the one they are familiar with from that movie re-run they saw that one time.

I've never seen Game Of Thrones. But I do know there is that Mother Of Dragons, so if there was ever a GOT game i'd play her (or her faction). No idea what any of the other factions are.
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    aliguana wrote: »
    I'm fine with the whole "everyone doing the same story arcs" and Galactic Union. That isn't my problem.

As for everyone coming here to play the starship captain from their childhood... hmm.. Trek fans will be equally likely to come here and play the Klingons from their childhood, or the nasty RSE Romulans. Non-Trek fans, generic mmo gamers, are more likely to choose fed, just because its the one they are familiar with from that movie re-run they saw that one time.

I've never seen Game Of Thrones. But I do know there is that Mother Of Dragons, so if there was ever a GOT game i'd play her (or her faction). No idea what any of the other factions are.

Klingon and Romulan stuff forms a teeny tiny portion of Star Trek. Why would a hypothetical Trek fan be equally likely to look for Klingon/Romulan content and for Fed content?

You are using the "no true Scotsman" logical fallacy, by the way.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Klingons get assimilated by the federation in the future so they do not matter as their own faction.

As for the Romulans...they will fold like a deck of cards once the last domino falls, Checkmate.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    11d2hn.jpg
  • Options
    artemida82artemida82 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I totally agree with the contribution from wardcalis.
    The game is totally unbalanced
    . Why do two-thirds of the storyline revolves around and only the Federation? Why the Romulans can not be independent empires? Indeed, the founding of New Romulus and the Romulan Republic, have no reason to remain in the "thumb" either the Federation or the KDF. Why there is a complete mismatch between the selection of uniforms, ships, etc.? Why Romulan ships can be smarter and stronger? The same applies to KDF empire. They're on it like the Romulans. Angular, jagged ships originally destroyed the shipyard KDF was not improved. For the Federation has new uniforms, the selection of ships as in a supermarket. Absolutely brand new shipyard. And virtually the entire game revolves only around the Federation. Where is the strength of the Romulan Empire, which itself was an equal adversary the Federation? Why are proud and proud race of the Klingon Empire, she has to bow to the Federation? For you, ARC, and your access to this scenario and develop the game, completely and totally deviated from the heart and soul of Star Trek. I, Victoria Kanakaredes, as a writer, author and scriptwriter in real life, over that your approach to game development, I just feel a great sorrow and disappointment.
    tumblr_inline_oomvjpBt8H1qjixz5_500.gif

Writer and Author: victoriakanakaredes.webnode.cz

"On the world is only one good, and it's knowledge. And is only one evil, and that is ignorance."
    (Socrates)
  • Options
    artemida82 wrote: »
    I just feel a great sorrow and disappointment.

To be honest if a bunch of pixels can make you feel like that, you need to get out more.

Why are things the way they are? - its been pretty well explained by other posters; but to re-iterate; resources. It's far easier for the dev team (as they have stated themselves) to write one overarching story for the game based upon the federation and then link this up to other factions. Metrics indicate that most players play federation characters and the least amount of players play KDF.

As a free to play game I can completely understand the choice to make things the way they are - perhaps they will make different choices in the future (no idea if the rumoured 'spoonhead' faction will be implemented the same way as the Romulan faction was).

At the end of the day we got a Romulan storyline and the ability to play rommy characters and fly rommy ships - that was a pretty nice update (all for free I might add) and is better than a slap in the face with a wet kipper.

• Options
    profowlprofowl Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    > @farranor said:
    > aliguana wrote: »
    >
    > I'm fine with the whole "everyone doing the same story arcs" and Galactic Union. That isn't my problem.
    >
    > As for everyone coming here to play the starship captain from their childhood... hmm.. Trek fans will be equally likely to come here and play the Klingons from their childhood, or the nasty RSE Romulans. Non-Trek fans, generic mmo gamers, are more likely to choose fed, just because its the one they are familiar with from that movie re-run they saw that one time.
    >
    > I've never seen Game Of Thrones. But I do know there is that Mother Of Dragons, so if there was ever a GOT game i'd play her (or her faction). No idea what any of the other factions are.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Klingon and Romulan stuff forms a teeny tiny portion of Star Trek. Why would a hypothetical Trek fan be equally likely to look for Klingon/Romulan content and for Fed content?
    >
    > You are using the "no true Scotsman" logical fallacy, by the way.

Shhh. It's the internet. We're not supposed to pay attention to rational argument 'round these parts.

"Trek fans will be equally likely to come here and play the Klingons from their childhood, or the nasty RSE Romulans."

I do find this a particularly baffling statement. It's based on what exactly? By what means would anyone conclude that true Trek fans would be equally likely to pick any faction when 99% of all Trek content is about the Fed?

oh about Game of Thrones. I would bet good money that the Starks, not the Targeryan's (dragon family) would be the most played, so that example doesn't exactly help this point of view.
    J.J. Abrams- Suckering people into loving moronic stories by excessive use of shiny things since 1998.

His best film - "Gone Fishin'"
  • Options
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I just feel a great sorrow and disappointment.

To be honest if a bunch of pixels can make you feel like that, you need to get out more.
    Why are things the way they are? - its been pretty well explained by other posters; but to re-iterate; resources. It's far easier for the dev team (as they have stated themselves) to write one overarching story for the game based upon the federation and then link this up to other factions. Metrics indicate that most players play federation characters and the least amount of players play KDF.
    As a free to play game I can completely understand the choice to make things the way they are - perhaps they will make different choices in the future (no idea if the rumoured 'spoonhead' faction will be implemented the same way as the Romulan faction was).
    At the end of the day we got a Romulan storyline and the ability to play rommy characters and fly rommy ships - that was a pretty nice update (all for free I might add) and is better than a slap in the face with a wet kipper.

Oh, so because KDF players play at least, so they can - according to your comments - developers give up on the whole section, for example, KDF and let her assimilate Borgs. This is the easiest solution, is not it ?! And for that, we can play for a fraction of the Romulans, who the Star Trek ranks as plums into souffle, and they are part of a Star Trek story since 70 'years such as the Klingons, and we mean players - again according Your comments - we should probably kneel before developers Arc, and thank them for what is quite obvious! Gene Roddenberry must turn in his grave!

"On the world is only one good, and it's knowledge. And is only one evil, and that is ignorance."
    (Socrates)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    we should probably kneel before developers Arc, and thank them for what is quite obvious! Gene Roddenberry must turn in his grave!

Ignoring for the moment the rest of the indecipherable diatribe you posted. Yes, perhaps we should metaphorically 'get on our knee's' and thank them for this completely free game, and the fact they added the Rom faction at all. (Even if it was not done in the way I would have preferred).

I am not adverse to them expanding upon KDF/ROM content; but as I previously stated they may not have the resources to do such a thing.

As for Gene Roddenberry turning in his grave... I think perhaps you should read up on his life before making such comments.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Klingons get assimilated by the federation in the future so they do not matter as their own faction.

As for the Romulans...they will fold like a deck of cards once the last domino falls, Checkmate.
    Well, the Republic is being run by a reunificationist..... So it seem inevitable really.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    we should probably kneel before developers Arc, and thank them for what is quite obvious! Gene Roddenberry must turn in his grave!
    Ignoring for the moment the rest of the indecipherable diatribe you posted. Yes, perhaps we should metaphorically 'get on our knee's' and thank them for this completely free game, and the fact they added the Rom faction at all. (Even if it was not done in the way I would have preferred).
    I am not adverse to them expanding upon KDF/ROM content; but as I previously stated they may not have the resources to do such a thing.
    As for Gene Roddenberry turning in his grave... I think perhaps you should read up on his life before making such comments.

Sorry for my English is not my mother tongue and it is more than 12 years since I was last in the United States for business as a designer. But I personally believe that many - listed as illegible - you can guess correctly.
    Regarding Eugene Wesley "Gene" Roddenberry (August 19, 1921 - October 24, 1991), I know more about him than it might seem at first glance.
    Furthermore, Your assertion that we should kneel and give thanks for the Romulans in the STO, I take it as a mockery. And due to the fact that Arc is supported and work platform CBS. And CBS is not a small company. STO umpteenth anniversary celebrated? If I am correct, then sixth anniversary. And six years is long enough to programmers, developers and scriptwriters have had enough time to get near the STO Star Trek. And do not work so moved away from him! And if you have ideas or imagination exhausted, why not go to the player and able to seek their help? I myself would like for them to design many versions of different kinds of costumes, uniforms and ships.
    But this discussion is probably overkill.
    As in the Czech Republic, says the old proverb: "Who wants, looking for how to do it. Who does not want, looking for a reason why not to do it."
    That's all for me personally.

(Socrates)
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Sorry for my English is not my mother tongue and it is more than 12 years since I was last in the United States for business as a designer. But I personally believe that many - listed as illegible - you can guess correctly.
    Regarding Eugene Wesley "Gene" Roddenberry (August 19, 1921 - October 24, 1991), I know more about him than it might seem at first glance.
    Furthermore, Your assertion that we should kneel and give thanks for the Romulans in the STO, I take it as a mockery. And due to the fact that Arc is supported and work platform CBS. And CBS is not a small company. STO umpteenth anniversary celebrated? If I am correct, then sixth anniversary. And six years is long enough to programmers, developers and scriptwriters have had enough time to get near the STO Star Trek. And do not work so moved away from him! And if you have ideas or imagination exhausted, why not go to the player and able to seek their help? I myself would like for them to design many versions of different kinds of costumes, uniforms and ships.
    But this discussion is probably overkill.
    As in the Czech Republic, says the old proverb: "Who wants, looking for how to do it. Who does not want, looking for a reason why not to do it."
    That's all for me personally.

Sigh. That's not how business works. No matter how much money CBS make's it does not go towards Cryptic s or PWE budget for the game. In fact it works the other way around... they pay CBS/Paramount for the licence.

I suggest they get some new proverbs then, as that one makes no sense.

I can suggest this:

Man who can catch fly with chopsticks, can achieve anything.

I'm sorry but I cant even decipher the rest of what you said.
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    Quark vid

This was my immediate thought too.

You Sir/Madam are a true scholar.

• Options
    gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    This should go to the FCT... Anyway, no biggie for me, just give me something new to Play.. Factions are just diferent flavors of the same icecream...
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I cant even decipher the rest of what you said.
    hmm... now that a country of origin has been established I can rephrase what she said in my mind using a loose abstraction of her native grammar. I think it's a poorly translated rant about how STO doesn't look like TOS. But also that the KDF should be equal to the Feds... and have as much of an impact on the over all game story as the Feds.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited March 2016

there is nothing quite like the smell of a fool in the morning.. let us put aside your disdainful attitude towards someone trying their best to communicate in a language less familiar to them, this situation is actually a very good example of that proverb.

let me phrase it in a way you will understand..

a person who is interested in understanding another, even if there is a language barrier, will put effort into the task and try.

the person who feels they are better than another, or are unable to apply their faculties to such a task, will instead put their time into derision and mockery

or simply.. those who want to do something.. find a way to do it, those who don't want to.. will find a way not to.​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    qziqza wrote: »

there is nothing quite like the smell of a fool in the morning.. let us put aside your disdainful attitude towards someone trying their best to communicate in a language less familiar to them, this situation is actually a very good example of that proverb.

let me phrase it in a way you will understand..

a person who is interested in understanding another, even if there is a language barrier, will put effort into the task and try.

the person who feels they are better than another, or are unable to apply their faculties to such a task, will instead put their time into derision and mockery

or simply.. those who want to do something.. find a way to do it, those who don't want to.. will find a way not to.​​

Oh OK mate. Glad you could understand them. Perhaps we can employ you as the universal translator.

A rant is a rant, no matter what language it is in. (I suggest you look up the definition diatribe, it is not a criticism of a persons ability to speak English). As for the rest of your post, I did actually attempt to try and understand what the OP was saying, and when I could not, I used humour to get around it.

So take your political correctness, and kindly shove it (where you shove it, I shall leave up to you).
    Post edited by equinox976 on
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    Factions in the "computer game" context, tend to somehow be implemented to diversify the experience, and create a deeper and more colorful canvas, to keep in mind, as you dive into the picture. Diversification in STO means to sell more ships, primarily, and do the bare minimum required to pretend there is a difference, secondarily. We're lucky to be kept at the operational maintenance level, in reality. If trying to move outside of the ESD at least.

There has been made Star Trek games with more than one faction, all of them properly set apart with individual flavors and motivations, despite some "misunderstandings" here. They have been made in the past, and will probably also be made in the future, despite claims originating from faction-monotheistic Federation-mongers. Movies/Television and computer games, operate in different spheres, one is passive, the other interactive, and so the rules change, because the nature of the beast change.

I'd hesitate to say this is one such faction oriented title though. It comes with a hint of what could have been, many less-than-half-delivered promises, and a blasted desert road ahead, devoid of anything especially green and fruity. Nothing much more is ever going to happen, in this one, faction-wise. Sans a genuine miracle. Which tend to transpire when you're not around at any rate. It is just how they work.

It must be some time since that last ESD overhaul now though. What madness is this, it must be renovated! starting to not get lost in there, when forced to go there because of some event. ;-)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    According to the forums for it, the Star Trek Alien Domain game has a huge mismatch between the number of Federation and Klingon players just like STO. So the "people could not create a KDF character by itself back in 2012" argument does not apply there but the result is the same. Most Joe Casuals want to be a Federation captain. Accept that fact.

Cryptic knows how many KDF-alt and KDF-only characters players created when they spent the money to add the level 0-25 story episodes.

Cryptic knows how many Rom-alt and Rom-only characters players created when they spent the money to add this semi-faction, create a set of story episodes, and then re-work those episodes.

Cryptic is a business not a charity for promoting the Klingon lifestyle. A business wants to make money. In both cases, players did not pay them enough money to get them to make more KDF and Romulan-only story episodes.

If there was really a sea full of KDF-only or Romulan-only whales, Cryptic would have heard the profit in their whalesong. Because Cryptic does want our money, when there is enough of it.

When the amount of money for some content is too small even if there is some profit, that content moves to the back of the to-do list and they make more Federation ships or a new lock box instead. So no Rom or KDF science ships for me, and no new Rom-only or KDF-only episodes for anyone.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    According to the forums for it, the Star Trek Alien Domain game has a huge mismatch between the number of Federation and Klingon players just like STO. So the "people could not create a KDF character by itself back in 2012" argument does not apply there but the result is the same. Most Joe Casuals want to be a Federation captain. Accept that fact.

Cryptic knows how many KDF-alt and KDF-only characters players created when they spent the money to add the level 0-25 story episodes.

Cryptic knows how many Rom-alt and Rom-only characters players created when they spent the money to add this semi-faction, create a set of story episodes, and then re-work those episodes.

Cryptic is a business not a charity for promoting the Klingon lifestyle. A business wants to make money. In both cases, players did not pay them enough money to get them to make more KDF and Romulan-only story episodes.

If there was really a sea full of KDF-only or Romulan-only whales, Cryptic would have heard the profit in their whalesong. Because Cryptic does want our money, when there is enough of it.

When the amount of money for some content is too small even if there is some profit, that content moves to the back of the to-do list and they make more Federation ships or a new lock box instead. So no Rom or KDF science ships for me, and no new Rom-only or KDF-only episodes for anyone.

I applaud you... not only did you half read things, you touted half-facts and a ton of opinions... Bravo for being totally half assed
  • Options
    Insults instead of refutation? Childish and unconvincing. Please try again.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    I think this thread is going off the rails. uhh, Mods, you might want to keep a close eye on this one
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, if KDF players really spent as much as they talked.....

Personally, I spent a few minutes taking my new MArtok for a test drive.... first a Tholian Red Alert, then a Borg. It worked great. anyways, I'm hoping the next 3-pack is a science pack with Nebula, Varanus, and Ha'nom variants. Then we'll find out how much KDF players actually want science vessels.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    From what I've gathered though, by the time the Temporal Accords are created and signed into effect, the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Republic join the Federation as members. With that in mind, it's easy to see why both parties in the past would want to keep the Federation intact.

The factions are not really opposing each other anymore, and they've been cooperating with each other ever since the Solanae Dyson Sphere was discovered and the Undine threat came to a head. There's no real conflict between them at this time, and so continuing to assist each other and cooperate freely and willingly is in every parties' best interests.
  • Options

Personally, I spent a few minutes taking my new MArtok for a test drive.... first a Tholian Red Alert, then a Borg. It worked great. anyways, I'm hoping the next 3-pack is a science pack with Nebula, Varanus, and Ha'nom variants. Then we'll find out how much KDF players actually want science vessels.

Just to be more clear, I have 3 Romulan and 3 KDF alts, and want to buy that science 3-pack if they'll only shut up and take my money. The Mat'Ha is my favorite tacship. And "some of my best friends are Romulans" ;)

I'm just not blinded by faction-love into thinking there are more KDF and Romulan players than there are, or that the players that do exist put significantly more money into the game than feddies. As the saying goes, "reality has a Federation bias."
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I don't have a problem with Fed faction bias in the marketing, ship release or (most of) the storyline content of this game. What I have a problem is that unless it can be tied to a similar ship the Feds can get, we don't see much development in ships for the other factions. Marketing is Fed biased to the exclusion of the other factions, so no TRIBBLE it turns out most people will play Fed characters. Duh, that's marketing 101. If your marketing caters to one segment of your customer base, BIG SURPRISE that segment is overrepresented in sales. But again, I'm ok with it.

Storyline content is where this fails however. Storyline content is arguably where faction differences matter the most. It's the difference between playing that episode of the Devidian arc where your Fed captain can talk his or her way out of trouble with a high diplomacy rank vs your KDF captain just going 'to hell with this' and stunning everyone. That's a tiny, tiny difference in an otherwise identical playthrough of that mission, but it makes a difference. It's what makes you go 'Yeah there actually is a point to playing a KDF character.'

I don't buy the argument that just because most of the player base is Fed means all of the content has to be Fed biased. If the stats are right and the breakdown are 70% fed vs 30% KDF/Rom, then ok I accept that some Fed bias is acceptable. But it's very much a 100% or close to it bias, when it should be closer to 70% fed and the rest a mix of KDF only content and Romulan (regardless of faction alliance) content.
  • Options

Just to be more clear, I have 3 Romulan and 3 KDF alts, and want to buy that science 3-pack if they'll only shut up and take my money. The Mat'Ha is my favorite tacship. And "some of my best friends are Romulans" ;)

I'm just not blinded by faction-love into thinking there are more KDF and Romulan players than there are, or that the players that do exist put significantly more money into the game than feddies. As the saying goes, "reality has a Federation bias."
    I wasn't saying YOU were one of them. :p I was agreeing that a lot of people are all talk when it comes to what they claim.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    marimariam#3881 marimariam Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    I think this thread is going off the rails. uhh, Mods, you might want to keep a close eye on this one
    lol
    I'm sorry only Equinox is allowed to comment on moderation when needing something to be moderated. Mods? Are you listening?
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2016
    Insults instead of refutation? Childish and unconvincing. Please try again.

or instead of continuing to be childish you could do what I suggested, go back and real the whole statements and get ALL of your facts in line and insert fewer/no opinions into your "facts"
    stofsk wrote: »
    If the stats are right and the breakdown are 70% fed vs 30% KDF/Rom, then ok I accept that some Fed bias is acceptable. But it's very much a 100% or close to it bias, when it should be closer to 70% fed and the rest a mix of KDF only content and Romulan (regardless of faction alliance) content.

indeed even a 70/30 split would be a huge improvement over the current setup