test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Carrier

wardcaliswardcalis Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
Can we has 1. I'd be happy with just one. I'd personally prefer it to be more tactical like the narcine with a 4/3 and 4 tact consoles, but i'd be happy with any carrier as long as we get one.

Comments

• Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    I still think we need a Sci Carrier, though perhaps with Tac leaning console slots, perhaps 3 Eng, 4 Sci, and 4 Tac? >:)
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    the bar has been raised.. it would have to be nearly identical to the paradox with 2 bays of frigates, 2nd deflector, scan, etc. If it were down 1 sci console, maybe, for being a carrier... nah, pets just aren't that good and the bar, again, has been raised. Maybe if it were a 4/4 guns and 3 eng, 4 tac, 4 sci and a universal cmdr seat... that might do it. But to shell out $$ for a sci anything that can't beat the lobi ship... not me, not now.

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    yall way to tac obsessed
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Having recently invested in Wing Commander and Scramble Fighters for my Command Warbird I have to say a full blown Carrier would be a very welcome addition.

In fact what I think would be cool would be gigantic D'Deridex inspired carrier! I mean imagine a massive warbird with that kind of wing design, except the empty space in between would be like a mini-shipyard with landing pads and docking facilities!
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    I had some ideas for a Warbird Carrier too. Even did a badly photoshopped pic. Also had ideas that I'd hoped might inspire Cryptic artist for other gaps in our navy
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    I had some ideas for a Warbird Carrier too. Even did a badly photoshopped pic. Also had ideas that I'd hoped might inspire Cryptic artist for other gaps in our navy

Maybe, but based on the looks of the KE and UFP have, I'd bet that the look of any Romulan faction Carrier, would not look unsimilar to the Jupiter and Vo'Quv classes.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    I dunno, even our command warbirds are sleeker than fed/klink so while I can see a rom carrier having some bulk I dont think itll be as disgusting as the jupiter/vo'quv
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I don't think they'll dip into the Narcine and/or Paradox levels of power for a C-Store/Fleet carrier anytime soon. Well, only the Scimitar when it comes to Tac power, but that's only a single hangar.

Maybe a Kar'fi adaptation would be something Cryptic would consider, though. A T6-ified Kar'fi with Battlecloak would be fun. I'd bump the Lt. Eng to Lt. Comm Eng/Hybrid, make the Ens. Sci to Universal, then either the Lt. Tac or Lt. Comm Tac also Uni (though the Lt. Comm would put it on par with the Vesta's flexibility, which I'm not sure they'd be willing to do). That'd be 4/3 weapons, 3/4/3(+1Fleet) consoles.

As for looks, I'd think it'd be interesting to have the bays under large wings (think the wings of the Eng Command Cruiser), just for the pun of taking hangar craft 'under their wings' to guide them in the ways of the universe.

I would rather just re-use the Romulan Drones that the Scimitar can use, as those don't seem to particularly tie into the Scimitar, so it'd make no particular problem lore wise, and they're very capable hangar pets.

Jupiter's trait and console would work fine too, or something similar to that.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    noroblad wrote: »
    the bar has been raised.. it would have to be nearly identical to the paradox with 2 bays of frigates, 2nd deflector, scan, etc. If it were down 1 sci console, maybe, for being a carrier... nah, pets just aren't that good and the bar, again, has been raised. Maybe if it were a 4/4 guns and 3 eng, 4 tac, 4 sci and a universal cmdr seat... that might do it. But to shell out $$ for a sci anything that can't beat the lobi ship... not me, not now.

The Paradox is not a true Carrier, just a 7 weapon slot Science Vessel that has only 1-Hangar.

There are no 2-Hangar Carriers in the game with a Secondary Deflector, not even the SCI Cmdr ones.

There are no Carriers with 8 weapon slots, either. 6 is typical, 7 is the most you'll see.

Expecting a 2-Hangar Carrier with a Secondary Deflector and 8 weapon slots isn't happening anytime soon.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Why are you making another thread about this when one already exists? forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1209669/the-romulan-carrier#latest This idea has been used and abused a lot, Cryptic is in no hurry to make a carrier for the Romulan faction when we have so many hybrid carriers already. They already know there is a small demand for one, hell even the Klingons are in need of a new carrier.
    Right now i can't see one being released, too many things are being revamped and tooled about to release one. Maybe when they are near the end of releasing the current T6 versions they have scheduled will we see a carrier.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• Options
    Why are you making another thread about this when one already exists?

maybe because necro'ing dead threads is against forum rules? But beating dead horses is tradition
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    No non-dps ships for Roms, perhaps its ear jealously, perhaps only feds spend the necessary, perhaps its that rom players mostly just want to blow tuff up tout suit, whatever the reason, it looks like being a low/never happening priority. If you're cryptic do you make a rom carrier or force frustrated carrier capt to run an alt that keeps the player in the game spending?
  • Options
    postinggum wrote: »
    No non-dps ships for Roms, perhaps its ear jealously, perhaps only feds spend the necessary, perhaps its that rom players mostly just want to blow tuff up tout suit, whatever the reason, it looks like being a low/never happening priority. If you're cryptic do you make a rom carrier or force frustrated carrier capt to run an alt that keeps the player in the game spending?

yer talkin out yer TRIBBLE... we've never been given the opportunity to buy anything but the limited selection of dps focused ships we have. Its impossible to theorize we don't spend the money on TRIBBLE when we've never been given TRIBBLE to spend money on
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    A Pilot Carrier would be neat. Just to be able to get Reeinforcement Squadron for more pet spam. Though Command Carrier could also work, for Emergency Artillery. (And maybe more thematically fitting, giving the role of Carriers and the usual lack of maneuverability.)

It's a shame that the Jupiter release was not a cross-faction pack. Seriously guys! The Klingons need a Vo'Quv update, and the Romulans don't have a Carrier at all so far!

yer talkin out yer TRIBBLE... we've never been given the opportunity to buy anything but the limited selection of dps focused ships we have. Its impossible to theorize we don't spend the money on TRIBBLE when we've never been given TRIBBLE to spend money on
    I don't think Cryptic has to look that closely at "faction unique" interests... The interests in the different ship types is probably pretty universal. In other words - if Feddies prefer DPS, so do KDF and RR.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Cryptic are choosing not to do rom and kdf non-energy weapon dps ships because:
    a. some sort of metrics based decision making.

a1. Maybe they look at the rom/kdf use of the krenim freebie, Annorax and Paradox and think those guys don't really want a sci ship; perhaps roms aren't rolling many sci toons, how many rom photonic fleets do you see in queues? Maybe they store that info, maybe not. Do you see many 1 hangar rom ships being flown that aren't scimis?

a2. Feds out sell roms that probably out sell kdf, dps out sells sci and carriers. Result Rom/kdf sci and carriers dont get made. Maybe there is a relationship T5 sales and T6, they then look and see the T5 flt Ha'nom and project the T6 Ha'nom to be a waste of effort - it was a horrible ship, no wonder they didn't sell well.

a3. with the skills revamp boosting pets, perhaps the metrics will shift toward making carriers. A big issue with carriers is getting access to the better pets, with the right pets a 2 hangar carrier will be able to top 30k in a pug isa with just pets and basic sci.

b. an irrational pro-fed bias

If its some sort of rational process the best that can be hoped for is that as the skills revamp winds down staff are free to do other things.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Cryptic are choosing not to do rom and kdf non-energy weapon dps ships because:
    a. some sort of metrics based decision making.

a1. Maybe they look at the rom/kdf use of the krenim freebie, Annorax and Paradox and think those guys don't really want a sci ship; perhaps roms aren't rolling many sci toons, how many rom photonic fleets do you see in queues? Maybe they store that info, maybe not. Do you see many 1 hangar rom ships being flown that aren't scimis?

a2. Feds out sell roms that probably out sell kdf, dps out sells sci and carriers. Result Rom/kdf sci and carriers dont get made. Maybe there is a relationship T5 sales and T6, they then look and see the T5 flt Ha'nom and project the T6 Ha'nom to be a waste of effort - it was a horrible ship, no wonder they didn't sell well.

a3. with the skills revamp boosting pets, perhaps the metrics will shift toward making carriers. A big issue with carriers is getting access to the better pets, with the right pets a 2 hangar carrier will be able to top 30k in a pug isa with just pets and basic sci.

b. an irrational pro-fed bias

If its some sort of rational process the best that can be hoped for is that as the skills revamp winds down staff are free to do other things.

They can't TRIBBLE about Rom & KDF ship sales if they're hardly putting out ships for them to buy to begin with. The KDF has had long droughts in between a number of their ships and ship types, droughts lasting years.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    its the same circular logic theyve had for years and even admitted happens... klingon ships dont make as much money so they make fewer klingon ships so they dont make as much money so they make fewer ships... Taco even admitted it happens but they flatly refuse to break that whirlpool circling the drain.
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Gentlemen, learn to stop the worrying and learn to love the "suck" that is Cryptic! :p
    Before Cryptic would give us this bauble, we would have to hold our breathe and sing zippity do da zippity day for a year. I'll believe it when i see it.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• Options
    There's every chance a cstore carrier won't have very good pets and that the scimi drone will never be allowed on anything else. Right now I dont think its possible to load a cstore carrier with a pet that has wide angle energy weapons and a HY/TS torp, without first buying a lockbox or lobi ship. A single elite hangar from a fancy-pants ship will have something similar to the dps of two hangars from a cstore/fleet store carrier. 125m* for the Herald cruiser looks a bargain, the 700m Herald carrier not so much.

*Prices subject to change, terms and conditions apply, random nerfing may be dropped on your big investment at any time.
  • Options
    not everyone is dps min/max obsessed -.-
  • Options
    Poor pets will generate poor sales - how many Jupiters do you see around?
    Whereas 3-6 years ago there were plenty of carrier capt, before LOR changed the dps landscape. Just saying there has to be a 'decent' elite pet for a carrier to sell, and that the Roms already have one. Alternatively they could swap the scorp fighter's cannon for beam.

When the Jupiter shipped there were instant threads about how bad the Callistos were, the ever sympathetic klingons said welcome to the crappy pet club, first rule of crappy pet club is moan about it for years and eventally move to battlecruisers.
  • Options
    Well I dont know about you but I usually see 1-3 jupiters running around sector space if Im online for more than a few minutes. Even with badass pets, carriers will never dominate
  • Options
    There used to be lots of kdf carriers, then when the elite scorpions came out most pug runs were full of little green balls.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    wardcalis wrote: »
    I don't get the stigma against dps. Personally I love blowing stuff up as a torp boat capt. I don't pvp though so anything outside of grav well for me is near useless.

If you want a new ship for Romulans, it'd almost have to be outside the DPS-and-only-DPS paradigm. When it comes to PvE DPS the Scimitar variants are monsters, so anything that is supposed to be DPS leaning needs to be comparable to it, and it was near game breaking when it came out. Considering how little buffed the Scim line was in the T6 version (compared to the buffs the T6 flagships of the other factions to their old T5 numbers), I think they're trying to back off from uber-DPS ships.

I could see something like a Kar'fi Battle Carrier (7 weapons, Lt. Comm and Lt. Tac, 3/4/4 consoles at fleet level) working, you'd loose out on DPS compared to a Scim, but still have some interesting fun tapping into Sci abilities at the commander rank and dual hangars to throw pets out of. Seeing how many Kar'fi are still around, and many being T5-U Fleet, it seems to still be a money-maker. I don't think a 6 weapon Vo'Quv or Jupiter variant going over nearly as well Rom side as a Kar'fi variant. I don't think they'd make a Dreadnought Carrier on the order of the JHDC or Xindi Narcine available as C-Store/Fleet, but those I think would sell even better if they went that route.