test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game is crashing continously, unplayable

Hi.

I play the game for years now, on this PC. Never had a problem like this. I read on reddit and other forums that many other players have the same problem. Some of them has worse, some of them has way better PCs than me. Players affected with this problem has a large variety of PC configuration, including OS.

The game crash to dekstop 80% of the times when it loads in or out to sector space. Most of the crashes happens in earth space dock. Many crashes happens in crystalline entity and the breach stfs. A few crashes happens in ground combat.

I switched on reduced file streamin, switched off on demand patching and set graph settings to minimum, while my PC can run this game in high settings too. When I run the game with minimum settings and in safe mode, the game do not crash out to desktop, but the screen freeze and I need to use keyboard to reach my desktop, where a pop up message welcomes me saying the gameclient stopped working. I deleted the game and then installed again. Nothin changed. Used ARC, used STEAM and nothing changed.

Before the latest campaign I never experienced this. The game is completly unplayable. I spent a lot of money for this. Considering the lack of end game content and pvp, and also a crash every 20 minutes there is no reason to play the game and spend more money on it. Please give an exact date when you can solve this problem/bug, or I will leave the game permanently.

Thank you.

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Did you update your graphics drivers? That could be the issue.

For whatever reason when I play STO on my laptop with a Radeon HD 8850m I need to play it in DX 9 mode otherwise the game would not launch. I suppose I could roll back to an older Catalyst driver version, but the current version gives me a bit better performance in the other games I play.

Hopeful a future Catalyst driver will fix the issue I am experiencing.
  • startrekaeorrostartrekaeorro Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I'm having the same problem. I constantly crash to desktop on both ground and space missions. Total play time varies from 10-30 min on average. I've tried numerous fixes dealing with video drivers, reverting to DX9, using -d3d9 in command line, safe mode, verifying files (numerous times), a complete re-install, and anything else I can find online.... nothing so far has worked, or even made a noticeable difference.

I'm running a newer (about 8 months old) Alienware 17 laptop with Windows 10, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, Intel i7-4710HQ @ 2.50GHz and 16 GB RAM.
    “Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. ”― E. Rommelvn1d8jtiy2sg.jpg
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Quick question for the laptop users ... are you able to manually control you fan speeds either through your graphics control centre or a 3rd party application such as MSI afterburner?

The reasons for my query are (i) most CTD or freezes seem to occur when a high load on the GPU is present and (ii) there also seems to be some sort of time factor involved. This has made me consider that the issue could be as simple as thermal lockout on the GPU.

Consider that when a map change occurs during the loading process the GPU is pre-rendering a large amount of data to create the initial screen, at the same time it is also maintaining the loading screen. Increased GPU load generates more heat. More heat produced than the system cooling can deal with and the GPU/CPU will shut down or reduce the load to prevent damage - thermal lockout. When this occurs the affected processes will either freeze or CTD.

Notwithstanding the known driver issues, if we compare a laptop and a desktop with the same generic graphics package and specs - the desktop outperforms the laptop, in reality both should perform to more or less the same standard given same components. The only difference is how the system is packaged (plus the laptop display is built-in)

In a typical ATX/midi ATX desktop tower there is plenty open space and room for airflow, however in a laptop things are a bit closer together and less inherent airflow. In a typical system, cooling fans never run at maximum capacity but typically vary according to temperature, however they never quite reach the max values for a sustained period.

AMD systems have AMD overdrives for both CPU & Graphics (I know this is available through Catalyst Control Centres, not sure about Crimson) - Whilst intended for overclocking, these utilities also have the ability to set control of cooling fans to manual.
    MSi Afterburner has the same ability. Again I am unsure regarding Nvidia cards and control centres as it is several years since I have used Nvidia cards.

My thought is that perhaps, manually setting the system and graphics cooling to 100% might have a bearing on helping reduce the occurence of these issues. Would be interesting if anyone experiencing these issues could try this theory and report back their experiences. (Unfortunately I am not experiencing these issues, so am unable to test the theory myself)

MSi afterburner can be found at https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner
    I've watched my temps while playing before, nothing out of the ordinary and no spikes. Just for the sake of testing a theory, I had WoW and SWTOR up on my other monitors while playing STO. STO crashed after about 30 minutes which is typical, while SWTOR and WoW were still up with no issues. I'm stumped on this one.
    “Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. ”― E. Rommelvn1d8jtiy2sg.jpg
    edited March 2016
    I've watched my temps while playing before, nothing out of the ordinary and no spikes. Just for the sake of testing a theory, I had WoW and SWTOR up on my other monitors while playing STO. STO crashed after about 30 minutes which is typical, while SWTOR and WoW were still up with no issues. I'm stumped on this one.

Have you tried changing the superfetch service startup behaviour in Win 10? If not, open control panel --->services tab, at the bottom there will be a link to open the services manager, once opened search through the list for superfetch and right click, select properties, there will be a drop down box marked startup type, set this to manual, reboot. If nothing else this will at least free up some extra RAM and prevent un-needed internet connections. Superfetch in win10 seems to open random applications without you having requested them - this reserves RAM and some apps also open connections to the internet. I noticed this was happening the last time my daughter was here - she asked if I could install Candy crush saga onto my PC for her, after she had returned home I needed to open task manager whilst trying to solve an issue with office not opening and noticed that not only was candy crush saga apparently running but also picture viewer, xbox live, solitaire, windows store etc. I decided to investigate and discovered that it was a known issue, since changing the superfetch start-up they have stopped starting randomly and only start when requested. It might be worth having a look in task manager and trying to identify apps that (i) don't need to be running all the time except when requested and (ii) any apps which are hidden in the background that may be opening connections to the internet without your knowledge.

Another area with win10 that may affect things is that some of the "useless" or bugged apps which are integrated are also starting at boot-up and also reserve RAM/internet connections. These include the built-in skype app and need to be removed through powershell. Details of how to do this can be found at http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

Post edited by spiritwalker1969 on
  • jros83jros83 Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    My issue is worse.

For past two days, I randomly completely crash. As in, my computer (running Windows 7 64bit) forcibly resets. No warning, no dumping to desktop, just instant reset. This is only happening in STO. Nothing out of the ordinary or "wrong" is going on with my system. STO only started doing this to me about 2 days. So far it has happened 5 times. There's no rhyme or reason to it either. It's happened in space combat (episodes and reputation), it's happened in ground combat, and it's happened while doing nothing in Earth Spacedock.

What the heck? This is annoying.

This is not a driver issue. This is not any sort of operating system update issue. This is a problem on their end, not ours.

Have you tried changing the superfetch service startup behaviour in Win 10? If not, open control panel --->services tab, at the bottom there will be a link to open the services manager, once opened search through the list for superfetch and right click, select properties, there will be a drop down box marked startup type, set this to manual, reboot. If nothing else this will at least free up some extra RAM and prevent un-needed internet connections. Superfetch in win10 seems to open random applications without you having requested them - this reserves RAM and some apps also open connections to the internet. I noticed this was happening the last time my daughter was here - she asked if I could install Candy crush saga onto my PC for her, after she had returned home I needed to open task manager whilst trying to solve an issue with office not opening and noticed that not only was candy crush saga apparently running but also picture viewer, xbox live, solitaire, windows store etc. I decided to investigate and discovered that it was a known issue, since changing the superfetch start-up they have stopped starting randomly and only start when requested. It might be worth having a look in task manager and trying to identify apps that (i) don't need to be running all the time except when requested and (ii) any apps which are hidden in the background that may be opening connections to the internet without your knowledge.

Another area with win10 that may affect things is that some of the "useless" or bugged apps which are integrated are also starting at boot-up and also reserve RAM/internet connections. These include the built-in skype app and need to be removed through powershell. Details of how to do this can be found at http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

Added to help people navigate to Superfetch: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools, select Services, scroll down to Superfetch.

Trying it now, will edit with results afterwards.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    I am getting disconnected since yesterday.I have had no problems playing the game since then I have used arc as well as the STO launcher.I have not up dated my drivers windows 7 64 bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • panzerlil#5064 panzerlil Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Hello, I just installed the game. Unfortunately, when I load it stops working. I WIN10. AMD FX8320,8GB RAM.Zobrazí only the message "application has stopped working" thank you for your help. Greeting
    Hello, I just installed the game. Unfortunately, when I load it stops working. I WIN10. AMD FX8320,8GB RAM.Zobrazí only the message "application has stopped working" thank you for your help. Greeting

This could be an issue with a corrupt file, open the game launcher and select options from the top-right of the launcher screen. Scroll down the new window and look for allow on-demand patching - uncheck this box, next look for force verify and check the box, now hit save.

This will (i) ensure you have every file needed for the game to run and (ii) check the integrity of every file. This process will take around 10 - 20 minutes (possibly longer depending on connection etc) After the check has completed try launching the game - if you still have issues post again.

jros83 wrote: »
    My issue is worse.

For past two days, I randomly completely crash. As in, my computer (running Windows 7 64bit) forcibly resets. No warning, no dumping to desktop, just instant reset. This is only happening in STO. Nothing out of the ordinary or "wrong" is going on with my system. STO only started doing this to me about 2 days. So far it has happened 5 times. There's no rhyme or reason to it either. It's happened in space combat (episodes and reputation), it's happened in ground combat, and it's happened while doing nothing in Earth Spacedock.

What the heck? This is annoying.

This is not a driver issue. This is not any sort of operating system update issue. This is a problem on their end, not ours.

When you say instant reset, do you mean your system totally reboots? If this is the case you NEED to check your hardware, it is unlikely that a software issue with STO would cause this to happen (especially since no-one else is reporting this behaviour).
    Check that your fans and heatsinks especially on CPU haven't become clogged with dust - this happens to every system and often a reset/reboot can result from a thermal incident. Quite often thermal incidents can occur with a single piece of software that perhaps has a more intense start-up regime than other applications.

Secondly, download a utility such as Speccy from piriform and use this to check that your system specs reflect what you know is installed - again a failing or loose component can cause reboots to occur.

You may want to also check (i) your RAM is seated correctly (you may also want to remove each stick, clean the contacts with a microfibre cloth then replace them), (ii) check your graphics card in the same way and (iii) check each individual connector on the power system is properly seated. The reason for these checks is that components/connectors can come loose over time due to the contant heat/cooling cycles experienced whilst your machine is running - each application or game has a different start-up protocol with some requiring more intense resources, the same is true during gameplay. When your CPU or GPU runs at a higher load such as during combat in STO it runs faster and also generates more heat, if this extra heat causes a loose connector etc to expand further that normal the connection will break and a crash/reboot follows.

I appreciate that going through all this is a PITA but better to check now than have everything refuse to boot a few months down the line - most crashes which cause system reboot are a warning of a serious issue. It is your choice if you want to ignore the above but are you willing to take the chance just to blame cryptic for your problems?

Once you have checked your hardware, I would recommend verifying your game files - the road between your PC and the server is a long distance (even if you live next door to the server farm), a network issue somewhere in between could mean you have a corrupted file. Open the launcher and select the launch options from top right. Look for force verify and check the box, also find allow on demand patching and uncheck this, now hit save and let the checker do it's stuff - this will (i) check for corrupt files and (ii) ensure you actually do have every file needed to run the game properly.

If you still have problems then post back - I know that you are convinced that it isn't an OS or driver issue but posting system specs such as CPU, graphics card type, graphics RAM, driver versions etc does help others to provide help - you may say that your drivers are fine but perhaps someone else had had issues with the same driver version.
    age03 wrote: »
    I am getting disconnected since yesterday.I have had no problems playing the game since then I have used arc as well as the STO launcher.I have not up dated my drivers windows 7 64 bit.

Force verify your install as a start point

edited March 2016
    > @spiritwalker1969 said:
    > jros83 wrote: »
    >
    > My issue is worse.
    >
    > For past two days, I randomly completely crash. As in, my computer (running Windows 7 64bit) forcibly resets. No warning, no dumping to desktop, just instant reset. This is only happening in STO. Nothing out of the ordinary or "wrong" is going on with my system. STO only started doing this to me about 2 days. So far it has happened 5 times. There's no rhyme or reason to it either. It's happened in space combat (episodes and reputation), it's happened in ground combat, and it's happened while doing nothing in Earth Spacedock.
    >
    > What the heck? This is annoying.
    >
    > This is not a driver issue. This is not any sort of operating system update issue. This is a problem on their end, not ours.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > When you say instant reset, do you mean your system totally reboots? If this is the case you NEED to check your hardware, it is unlikely that a software issue with STO would cause this to happen (especially since no-one else is reporting this behaviour).
    > Check that your fans and heatsinks especially on CPU haven't become clogged with dust - this happens to every system and often a reset/reboot can result from a thermal incident. Quite often thermal incidents can occur with a single piece of software that perhaps has a more intense start-up regime than other applications.
    >
    > Secondly, download a utility such as Speccy from piriform and use this to check that your system specs reflect what you know is installed - again a failing or loose component can cause reboots to occur.
    >
    > You may want to also check (i) your RAM is seated correctly (you may also want to remove each stick, clean the contacts with a microfibre cloth then replace them), (ii) check your graphics card in the same way and (iii) check each individual connector on the power system is properly seated. The reason for these checks is that components/connectors can come loose over time due to the contant heat/cooling cycles experienced whilst your machine is running - each application or game has a different start-up protocol with some requiring more intense resources, the same is true during gameplay. When your CPU or GPU runs at a higher load such as during combat in STO it runs faster and also generates more heat, if this extra heat causes a loose connector etc to expand further that normal the connection will break and a crash/reboot follows.
    >
    > I appreciate that going through all this is a PITA but better to check now than have everything refuse to boot a few months down the line - most crashes which cause system reboot are a warning of a serious issue. It is your choice if you want to ignore the above but are you willing to take the chance just to blame cryptic for your problems?
    >
    > Once you have checked your hardware, I would recommend verifying your game files - the road between your PC and the server is a long distance (even if you live next door to the server farm), a network issue somewhere in between could mean you have a corrupted file. Open the launcher and select the launch options from top right. Look for force verify and check the box, also find allow on demand patching and uncheck this, now hit save and let the checker do it's stuff - this will (i) check for corrupt files and (ii) ensure you actually do have every file needed to run the game properly.
    >
    > If you still have problems then post back - I know that you are convinced that it isn't an OS or driver issue but posting system specs such as CPU, graphics card type, graphics RAM, driver versions etc does help others to provide help - you may say that your drivers are fine but perhaps someone else had had issues with the same driver version.

I really, really, really hate canned answers.

This is not a hardware issue. At all.

THIS. IS. ONLY. HAPPENING. WHEN. LOGGED. IN. TO. S. T. O. Plus, I'm not an idiot. I've been building PCs since the 90s.

Just forget it. I'll put up with it since I'll never get the answer. More than likely someone has my IP and is very clever in TRIBBLE with me. I angered a furry and he "put me on his list." Kid probably can see my IP and knows how to do things to me when I'm logged in. He'll get bored of it eventually.

Or it's just a massive error on Crpytics/Arc/PWE/whatever's side and they won't acknowledge it because it doesn't effect everyone.

anyway as I said let's all forget I asked about it, because I really lose it when I get nothing but the canned, cliche' responses. I wouldn't be asking if I didn't already check the usual TRIBBLE.
  • methodownmethodown Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    The game crashes right after I hit "Engage" from the launcher. I haven't been able to get in for the past 3 days.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    > @spiritwalker1969 said:
    > jros83 wrote: »
    >
    > My issue is worse.
    >
    > For past two days, I randomly completely crash. As in, my computer (running Windows 7 64bit) forcibly resets. No warning, no dumping to desktop, just instant reset. This is only happening in STO. Nothing out of the ordinary or "wrong" is going on with my system. STO only started doing this to me about 2 days. So far it has happened 5 times. There's no rhyme or reason to it either. It's happened in space combat (episodes and reputation), it's happened in ground combat, and it's happened while doing nothing in Earth Spacedock.
    >
    > What the heck? This is annoying.
    >
    > This is not a driver issue. This is not any sort of operating system update issue. This is a problem on their end, not ours.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > When you say instant reset, do you mean your system totally reboots? If this is the case you NEED to check your hardware, it is unlikely that a software issue with STO would cause this to happen (especially since no-one else is reporting this behaviour).
    > Check that your fans and heatsinks especially on CPU haven't become clogged with dust - this happens to every system and often a reset/reboot can result from a thermal incident. Quite often thermal incidents can occur with a single piece of software that perhaps has a more intense start-up regime than other applications.
    >
    > Secondly, download a utility such as Speccy from piriform and use this to check that your system specs reflect what you know is installed - again a failing or loose component can cause reboots to occur.
    >
    > You may want to also check (i) your RAM is seated correctly (you may also want to remove each stick, clean the contacts with a microfibre cloth then replace them), (ii) check your graphics card in the same way and (iii) check each individual connector on the power system is properly seated. The reason for these checks is that components/connectors can come loose over time due to the contant heat/cooling cycles experienced whilst your machine is running - each application or game has a different start-up protocol with some requiring more intense resources, the same is true during gameplay. When your CPU or GPU runs at a higher load such as during combat in STO it runs faster and also generates more heat, if this extra heat causes a loose connector etc to expand further that normal the connection will break and a crash/reboot follows.
    >
    > I appreciate that going through all this is a PITA but better to check now than have everything refuse to boot a few months down the line - most crashes which cause system reboot are a warning of a serious issue. It is your choice if you want to ignore the above but are you willing to take the chance just to blame cryptic for your problems?
    >
    > Once you have checked your hardware, I would recommend verifying your game files - the road between your PC and the server is a long distance (even if you live next door to the server farm), a network issue somewhere in between could mean you have a corrupted file. Open the launcher and select the launch options from top right. Look for force verify and check the box, also find allow on demand patching and uncheck this, now hit save and let the checker do it's stuff - this will (i) check for corrupt files and (ii) ensure you actually do have every file needed to run the game properly.
    >
    > If you still have problems then post back - I know that you are convinced that it isn't an OS or driver issue but posting system specs such as CPU, graphics card type, graphics RAM, driver versions etc does help others to provide help - you may say that your drivers are fine but perhaps someone else had had issues with the same driver version.

I really, really, really hate canned answers.

This is not a hardware issue. At all.

THIS. IS. ONLY. HAPPENING. WHEN. LOGGED. IN. TO. S. T. O. Plus, I'm not an idiot. I've been building PCs since the 90s.

Just forget it. I'll put up with it since I'll never get the answer. More than likely someone has my IP and is very clever in TRIBBLE with me. I angered a furry and he "put me on his list." Kid probably can see my IP and knows how to do things to me when I'm logged in. He'll get bored of it eventually.

Or it's just a massive error on Crpytics/Arc/PWE/whatever's side and they won't acknowledge it because it doesn't effect everyone.

anyway as I said let's all forget I asked about it, because I really lose it when I get nothing but the canned, cliche' responses. I wouldn't be asking if I didn't already check the usual TRIBBLE.

WOW... folks tried to be helpful and you snap at them.

Nobody around here has a clue as to your proficiency with computers since none of us know you personally, so being rude does nothing to further your case nor elicit further advice.

Why the heck did you bother to even post in the thread if you're too intelligent or gracious enough to accept a few suggestions that you didn't even acknowledge in your post you had already tried??

Also, since nobody else is saying that they have your exact problem..., the problem is likely on your side not Cryptics.

Funny how that works, huh...

SMH
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Except the problem is absolutely not on my side.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Then I guess your best option is to find another game to, not be mad at.

b6656e8518dfe8b8ed677dd94770ec33.jpg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    daveyny wrote: »

Then I guess your best option is to find another game to, not be mad at.

b6656e8518dfe8b8ed677dd94770ec33.jpg

The "Best option" is for people to stop giving the cliched and canned responses, and for ARC or PWE or Cryptic or whoever runs this damn thing to give a TRIBBLE.