test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Come here if you want to be depressed about your chances in STO

mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
Concerning the new promotion packs for the Krenim Dreadnought I opened 100 with no dreadnought https://youtu.be/Y0m2DNpeSa4 :/
[SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
stoutes wrote: »
Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"

Comments

• marimariam#3881 marimariam Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    is this some flame video towards cryptic? too long did not click
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Only 100? That really proves nothing. There are people who posted here that opened 1-2k and get nothing. But hey, thanks for supporting Cryptic/PWE with your lack of understanding of gambling/statistics! ;)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    Only 100? That really proves nothing. There are people who posted here that opened 1-2k and get nothing. But hey, thanks for supporting Cryptic/PWE with your lack of understanding of gambling/statistics! ;)

100 is generally a solid average to compare with, but i'm sorry if I didn't have the time to copy or buy 2k for your enjoyment, but by all means do so yourself, please, spend near $3k to not get a ship o_O ( at least according to you)
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    While I dislike lockboxes in general and the idea, that I have no idea what the odds are in hitting the jackpot. I totally agree that you can never expect to get the jackpot just walking up to a one arm bandit with 100 quarters in your pocket. So get over it, hope you learned your lesson that gambling is for people weak in math skills.

<3
    NFA-banner.png
    While I dislike lockboxes in general and the idea, that I have no idea what the odds are in hitting the jackpot. I totally agree that you can never expect to get the jackpot just walking up to a one arm bandit with 100 quarters in your pocket. So get over it, hope you learned your lesson that gambling is for people weak in math skills.

<3
    Hence tribble ftw. I'm putting this as a warning to those weak in math skills who haven't quite yet comprehended the extent to which chance messes with you
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,626 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    100 is not surprising at all -- assuming the chance per box is 1%, before you start opening the boxes you have a 36.6% chance of getting 0 ships from the 100. With 150 boxes, a 22.1% chance of a shipless night. Even with a pile of 200 boxes there is a 13.4% chance your ship will not come in.

Selling the boxes for EC is the only safe way to get your ship together.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This is why I want no part in lockboxes.

It's just not worth it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

100 is generally a solid average to compare with, but i'm sorry if I didn't have the time to copy or buy 2k for your enjoyment, but by all means do so yourself, please, spend near $3k to not get a ship o_O ( at least according to you)

in the same way 1000 people in a test are the the average for 60 million people? the minority is not the majority, it never has been. all you can get all out of it is that 1000 people are the result, not 60 million.

its the same here, 100 lockboxs open is 100 lockboxes, not 2000 lockboxes.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Out of all the lockboxes and super special promitional item boxes i have paid zen for on the game the only ships i have ever gotten have been mirror ships from older lockboxes. Even after they revamped the newest boxes with "better odds" the results have remained the same but without any mirror ships.
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    It's around 1 in 1000 chance to get the good stuff. Cryptic makes a boat load of cash relying on the fact most people don't realise this or just think they are "lucky".
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    You need to change your mindset, because as soon as you don't want to have the dreadnought but just the lobi, you'll get it :)
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I was wondering who opened all the other ones needed to balance out me getting it in 3 tries. I did eventually open 4 more and didn't get a second Annorax, so I'm not hogging ALL the luck :).

My blithe assumption was the drop rate was about half a percent/1-in-200 but who really knows (and isn't under ironclad oaths of secrecy)?
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I don't worry about it too much. The other day I opened 20 boxes, because two of my characters genuinely needed duty officers. Didn't get the annorax, but I didn't expect to. That's how I look at it. It's not really gambling, I simply helped support the game by purchasing some duty officers for two characters who were lacking. If I happen to wait until the promotion is going on, and if I HAPPEN to get lucky, so be it. :D
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    I had been told Promo packs had better odds then Lockboxes, @azrael605

From what I've heard,
    Lockbox are about 1/200 (.5%)
    And promos are 1/100 (1%)
    And Ultra Rare Lockbox ships such as the Vonph are supposedly 1/450 (0.22%)

That's what I've heard over the years.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    Or in other words, numbers are irrelevant because the odds are relative for everyone.
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    9 doffboxes for me. :) I was opening them for the lobi. :p
    Congrats! And yes plaz, they may be relative but numbers aren't irrelevant. There will be oddities but with consistent numbers it should be somewhat the same. Not my point. My point is, don't expect to get one without likely losing out (unless you also need lobi). With the sample I did selling them would've gotten me two dreadnoughts
    Plaz,
    Average of boxes is only a reference to the mean success rate, relative to your own personal experience.
    Say you've opened 500 doff packs and recieved nothing, you could then say, compared to the median success rate, I'm pretty unlucky..
    Or conversely, "I'm super lucky, I got an annorax on the first box".
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I have to agree that 100 is too small of a sample size to get any accurate data from. We actually had an amazing example of someone opening 10,000 packs once:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1201350/promo-pack-tribble-test-ten-thousand-10000-packs-opened/p1

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/18/the-daily-grind-should-mmo-studios-disclose-the-odds-of-winning-lockbox-prizes/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    100 boxes = 100 Keys
    1125 Zen = 10 Keys, 100 keys = 11250 Zen.
    Thanks for supporting the game :)
    21ajpqt.png
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    I had been told Promo packs had better odds then Lockboxes, @azrael605

From what I've heard,
    Lockbox are about 1/200 (.5%)
    And promos are 1/100 (1%)
    And Ultra Rare Lockbox ships such as the Vonph are supposedly 1/450 (0.22%)

That's what I've heard over the years.

This seems about right to what people generally report. For lockboxes as an example, the probabilities estimate 1 in 200 will contain the grand prize. It could be much less, or much more than that for any small group of people, but at large samples this would be it assuming the RNG works well enough.

I also know 2 who have opened not more than 5 boxes and were surprised by a lockbox drop, or the ultra rare lockbox. The thing to keep in mind is there's another 198 people who say nothing, because they received nothing.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    apulse wrote: »
    100 boxes = 100 Keys

Not necessarily. Many people trade dil for zen and never actually spend their own money. I haven't actually purchased zen in...years?...but I get everything I want. So, maybe the OP bought the zen, maybe they didn't. Either way, don't thank the person spending the zen, thank the person who actually bought it :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Plaz,
    Average of boxes is only a reference to the mean success rate, relative to your own personal experience.
    Say you've opened 500 doff packs and recieved nothing, you could then say, compared to the median success rate, I'm pretty unlucky..
    Or conversely, "I'm super lucky, I got an annorax on the first box".

Thanks for proving my point.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Welcome to the news of 2011. Today we bring you something that everyone already knows.

Seriously... Regardless if people are consciously or unconsciously aware of this, everyone knows that the chances are extremely small...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    100 boxes = 100 Keys

Not necessarily. Many people trade dil for zen and never actually spend their own money. I haven't actually purchased zen in...years?...but I get everything I want. So, maybe the OP bought the zen, maybe they didn't. Either way, don't thank the person spending the zen, thank the person who actually bought it :D

I put down my hat for your patience and dedication, I am to lazy to do it the "free" way.. actually, I spend to much zen on this game already, though my Wife have not said anything... yet.
    21ajpqt.png
    edited March 2016
    And just what is your point plaz ?
    You don't like to know odds ? Not sure what you're getting at...

Lockbox average is just a comparison tool. Not sure what your grudge against it is.

Some like to know odds before making a bet. Its pretty common really. In everything from sports//horse racing to multi million dollar lotteries .
    Post edited by taylor1701d on
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    100 boxes = 100 Keys

I put down my hat for your patience and dedication, I am to lazy to do it the "free" way.. actually, I spend to much zen on this game already, though my Wife have not said anything... yet.

I can't really accept your compliment, because I don't really put much patience or dedication into it. There are hard ways to earn dil, and then there are easy ways. I'll just say I have an easy way :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    What does this even prove? I took my $5 monthly zen, got 2 keys, and won the current box lotto last month. Traded that for the paradox and pocketed 100M. Neither one is representative of reality ... you don't always lose (what the video implies) and you don't often win (I got lucky). The truth is somewhere between those extremes.

They are fun in moderation, if you have excess EC or dil/zen to get a key now and again. Its not economical, but its fun, and like the lottery, if you don't play you can't win.

You might notice that I didnt rush out to spend the 100M on keys after that ... knowing when to stop is a good thing.

edited March 2016
    noroblad wrote: »
    What does this even prove? I took my $5 monthly zen, got 2 keys, and won the current box lotto last month. Traded that for the paradox and pocketed 100M. Neither one is representative of reality ... you don't always lose (what the video implies) and you don't often win (I got lucky). The truth is somewhere between those extremes.

LOL, no. While it *IS* true that "you don't always lose and you don't always win", the actual chances are much *CLOSER* to the "always lose" side. So the "truth" is on one EXTREME end of the spectrum, not really "between" the two.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    noroblad wrote: »
    if you don't play you can't win.

Or... Every dollar you don't spend you 'win' a dollar! ;)

Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.