test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

March 10 Update - Launcher Crash

Hi there,
I'm making this post to inform a little problem: after the today's update patch, STO crash everytime.
The game managed to go to character selection only once. All other attempts crashes instantly after I click the "engage" button on the STO Launcher.

A few days earlier, i had that DirectX problem with AMD video drivers (using the -d3d9 line on the command fixed). Tried launch the game without that line, but with the same result.
I also let the launcher verify the files some times, but no change as well.

And that's it.
Hope it helps.

Comments

• Options
    tritous0tritous0 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    similar issue as of March 12th. It worked fine yesterday.

It seems to be getting as far as checking for patches then jumps forward way faster than ususal, as if something is being skipped. while I wouldn't mind launching faster...a working game is more important

issue happens both if launched through arc or through steam. Launcher Version: CL_2014_12_15_18_53
  • Options
    mhowie1mhowie1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I am having trouble loading the game today. Last night loaded just fine had a great time. Today I am getting the error code 0xc0000005 application was unable to start correctly. I have uninstalled the game reinstalled the game and still get the same issue... I use arc to launch game...
  • Options
    roboticzebraroboticzebra Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I am getting the same crash. As soon as you hit engage everything sto related stops. This has been happening to me since 12th March.
  • Options
    mystreven#1690 mystreven Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I happened to finally be able to update the game and same here, as it gets to the title (STO New Dawn), it suddenly whites out and says "GameClient.exe stopped working"
    Post edited by mystreven#1690 on
  • Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Open launcher, select options from the top right of launcher window. Look for force-verify and check the box, uncheck allow on-demand patching if it is checked. Hit save.
    This will verify that you have every file required to run the game and that they are uncorrupted. On occasion it is possible for a patch to get garbled when you are downloading it.

mhowie1 wrote: »
    I am having trouble loading the game today. Last night loaded just fine had a great time. Today I am getting the error code 0xc0000005 application was unable to start correctly. I have uninstalled the game reinstalled the game and still get the same issue... I use arc to launch game...

When you uninstalled did you manually remove any files/folders left behind by the process? If not you may have left a corrupt file behind which has not been replaced. Navigate to your install folder (usually (Hard Drive Letter): > Program Files (x86) > Cryptic Studios > Star Trek Online > Live > localdata) and delete the whole of the localdata folder. Now relaunch the game and ( make sure allow on-demand patching is unchecked under options) allow any patching required to take place. This may be a long process but is the only way to ensure every file is replaced. Quite often when uninstalls/reinstalls are carried out some datafiles which are created by the first run are not deleted and subsequently not rewritten.

For those still experiencing issues after trying these fixes, it would help if you provide some basic system info such as OS version (eg windows 10 x64 etc), graphics card type and graphics RAM, RAM installed etc. This doesn't mean I think you have a problem with your system but some versions of windows and some graphics drivers have known issues, providing the basic info can help other players such as myself point you straight to possible issues rather than wasting time having you perform what amounts to basic housekeeping.

0xc00000005 is commonly used to indicate a registry error - you could try downloading CCleaner and using it's registry cleaning function. Don't bother making a back-up of the registry and once the scan is complete use the fix all errors option.
    After cleaning the registry, use the diskcleaner option - check both the DNS cache & prefetch options before running the cleaner. After this run a defrag. This should get rid of any legacy issues from the registry error.