Install Arc
Options

BORT! What have you done to my SCIENCE!

Comments

• Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2016
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Science is a mess and they are attempting to clean things up and simplify them. Give them time to modify the base damage to compensate for the new scaling affects of Aux power and skill points.

Keep in mind drain and control skills can go much higher now then before thanks to the consolidation of skills. Probably 600-700 each.

Yeah, see, I tried that. Even at 700 drain expertise, the result is STILL inferior to 300 flow caps on holodeck.

EDIT: @borticuscryptic The maximum drain expertise I can currently test for tribble is as follows:

Voth Palisade Science Vessel T5U ( 3 Eng consoles, 5 Sci consoles, 3 Tac consoles)

1x Enhanced RCS Thruster (ultra rare) (DrainX) providing +35.6 Drain expertise.
    5x Restorative Particle Focusers mk XIV (ultra rare) (DrainX)x2, providing a total of 297 Drain Expertise (59.4 each)
    1x Quantum Phase Converter mk XIV (Purple) providing +33.8 Drain expertise
    1x Quantum Phase Deflector mk XIV (Purple) providing +50 Drain Expertise
    Max skill ranks in Drain Expertise, providing +100 Drain Expertise

Total: 516.4 Drain Expertise

Powers which are the (mostly) the same or better than holodeck versions (at 300 flow caps on holodeck, 300 drain expertise on Tribble)

Tykens Rift
    Aceton Mode (Palisade Science Vessel console)
    Aceton Assimilator

Powers which are (often substantially) weaker than their holodeck versions:

Quantum Destabilizing Beam
    Energy Siphon (all ranks)
    Breen Energy Siphon
    Breen Energy Dissipator

Post edited by illcadia on
  • Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    illcadia wrote: »
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Science is a mess and they are attempting to clean things up and simplify them. Give them time to modify the base damage to compensate for the new scaling affects of Aux power and skill points.

Keep in mind drain and control skills can go much higher now then before thanks to the consolidation of skills. Probably 600-700 each.

Yeah, see, I tried that. Even at 700 drain expertise, the result is STILL inferior to 300 flow caps on holodeck.

what are you using?

I can confirm on my end that my 400 fc to 460 drain exp is in fact stronger then holodeck.

@borticuscryptic

Question the GW.

You buffed the damage, but because of the control Amp skill, it does more then I would think intended. I am getting near 10k crits on a GW3. I feel the auto debuff on use of GW plays into this increase. The distance on the GW is alot less then holodeck. I am getting about a 5/6 km pull radius. I would suggest you decrease the base damage of the GW, and increase the distance

My specs
    433 Control
    305 Pg
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • Options
    @hajmyis it differs depending on power. I added a list of what I'm using to test, and which powers are weaker/stronger across the two instances.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    hajmyis wrote: »

@borticuscryptic

Question the GW.

You buffed the damage, but because of the control Amp skill, it does more then I would think intended. I am getting near 10k crits on a GW3. I feel the auto debuff on use of GW plays into this increase. The distance on the GW is alot less then holodeck. I am getting about a 5/6 km pull radius. I would suggest you decrease the base damage of the GW, and increase the distance

My specs
    433 Control
    305 Pg
    Yes, I noticed that the range of my gravity wells seemed notably smaller, but I didn't make any exact tests. Just a general observation was that on Holodeck I could drag a typical enemy group in one of those Romulan attack patrols all in with a single gravity well, and that didn't work on Tribble anymore.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

@borticuscryptic

Question the GW.

My specs
    433 Control
    305 Pg
    Yes, I noticed that the range of my gravity wells seemed notably smaller, but I didn't make any exact tests. Just a general observation was that on Holodeck I could drag a typical enemy group in one of those Romulan attack patrols all in with a single gravity well, and that didn't work on Tribble anymore.

I think on Holodeck it did become to easy to CC with 15km gw, so i think lower it is okay. Maybe they do it to much. But anyway I need to break out the TBR and re learn to push things into a well again.
    @hajmyis it differs depending on power. I added a list of what I'm using to test, and which powers are weaker/stronger across the two instances.

Again I stand by my statement. I had no issue what so ever dropping shields on my drain build.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    GW was improved not by PartGen or ControlX changes, but from the Aux Scaling (it used a different modifier, which was previously smaller). The radius issue is a bug, though. ControlX is currently not improving its affected radius. That'll be fixed.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Again I stand by my statement. I had no issue what so ever dropping shields on my drain build.

#facepalm - Nerf stuff because you still do okay with it? Gravity Well and power drains don't need a nerf. Hey, I have an idea, let's nerf FAW enough so people still do okay with it.
  • Options
    GW was improved not by PartGen or ControlX changes, but from the Aux Scaling (it used a different modifier, which was previously smaller). The radius issue is a bug, though. ControlX is currently not improving its affected radius. That'll be fixed.

Thank you
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Ah, good to know that you've found the issue.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Bort, thx for your action and dialog.
    Qapla'
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User

Thx for that info. The aux scaling seems to have (temprorarily?) buffed its damage.

Can you tell us if the radius is due to be changed? Up? or down?

Thanks again for just being visible here. However people feel about stuff, I think I speak for most if not all when I say we appreciate it.

"So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options

Thx for that info. The aux scaling seems to have (temprorarily?) buffed its damage.

Thanks again for just being visible here. However people feel about stuff, I think I speak for most if not all when I say we appreciate it.

He just said that the radius on tribble is not benefitting from controlX (at all). IE: it's assuming you have 0 Control X. that means radius will go up when it is fixed.

• Options
    edited February 2016

He just said that the radius on tribble is not benefitting from controlX (at all). IE: it's assuming you have 0 Control X. that means radius will go up when it is fixed.

If what I asked was unclear, here it is again:
    I was asking if the radius is due to be changed.

EDIT: I'm not having a good day for forum clarity....

What I really mean is.... Are there any plans to change it as part of the revamp?

"So my fun is wrong?"

• Options
    Yes.

I can and do read what I quote.

I think both he and I are confused as to how my previous statement doesn't already answer that question
    The radius issue is a bug, though. ControlX is currently not improving its affected radius. That'll be fixed.

I guess, just to be even clearer: The base radius will not be changed. ControlX will improve the radius, once the bug is fixed.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Yes.

I can and do read what I quote.

I think both he and I are confused as to how my previous statement doesn't already answer that question
    The radius issue is a bug, though. ControlX is currently not improving its affected radius. That'll be fixed.

I guess, just to be even clearer: The base radius will not be changed. ControlX will improve the radius, once the bug is fixed.

See edited post above.....

Edit: Oh dear lord. I should never have given up Epohh farming....

Ok. Got it. Thx.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

• Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    e30ernest wrote: »
    The pet buff never existed before though so you aren't supposed to lose anything if you don't get it. That said, you are right that it should have been placed earlier on the tree, or placed in a whole different tree altogether.

You only need to spend enough points (anywhere) to open up the Admiral level skills to get the three pet buffs there though. My Jupiter's roughly 24 Sci/12 Tac and gets those for example. And still solos Red Alerts.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    You mean we can have 30+ km gravity wells now?

*hallelujah chorus plays triumphantly*
  • Options
    darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    irm1963 wrote: »
    The pet buff never existed before though so you aren't supposed to lose anything if you don't get it. That said, you are right that it should have been placed earlier on the tree, or placed in a whole different tree altogether.

You only need to spend enough points (anywhere) to open up the Admiral level skills to get the three pet buffs there though. My Jupiter's roughly 24 Sci/12 Tac and gets those for example. And still solos Red Alerts.

Yes you are correct however there are 2 pet buff passives at the 20 point mark on the tactical bar underneath the skill tree. At 20 points most carriers will never come close to making use of that choice(pet health vs. hangar damage). My build transferred over ok and I put only 12 points in the tac tree and that included the 3 pet buffs in that skill tree.
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User

Yes you are correct however there are 2 pet buff passives at the 20 point mark on the tactical bar underneath the skill tree. At 20 points most carriers will never come close to making use of that choice(pet health vs. hangar damage). My build transferred over ok and I put only 12 points in the tac tree and that included the 3 pet buffs in that skill tree.

Think that's really just for tactical-focused carriers like the KDF T6 Raptor and Armitage family etc. Rest of them won't actually want or need those surely ?

• Options
    daiphdaiph Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    MIght I make a suggestion that could potentially solve the confusion for some people. Perhaps there could be a table of some type put up such as, x amount of skill in (insert skill here) is now the same as y in the new system. I've gotten a few questions about how the skills translate over and I think this could potentially help folks.

Sure.

1 pt of Flow Capacitors = 1 pt of Drain Expertise
    1 pt of Graviton Generators = 1 pt of Control Expertise

Seeing a trend? They were all translated 1:1

If you're asking how much these Skills are used by individual abilities, then there's no easy-to-produce list. All abilities now gain the same benefit from these Skills on Tribble, whereas they do NOT currently do so on Holodeck. This is the crux of the changes people are seeing.

See, here's the thing...
    1pt of Flow does in fact = 1 pt of Drain expertise. This causes an issue in application however, as flow was purely for draining systems, and drain expertise (which, hey, kinda has what it should do in the title) returns 50% drain ability. So in effect, it's actually:

1pt flow caps = 0.5pts drain expertise, in specific reference to drains. Which is in the name of the skill. You'd think that might be important.
    Same with grav gens and control...

If you're going to nerf Sci, just come out and say you're nerfing Sci. This whole dancing around 'oh, but 1 pt is still 1 pt' is misleading and tiresome. At least do us the favour of providing a system where the points delivered are equal from the skill pick (i.e. 2x DrainX delivers 100% flow and PIns effectiveness), even if the mechanics behind them aren't. At least that would be less patronising and the scaling would be on the range of abilities used instead, which would make more sense.
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
    Stop new content until quality returns
  • Options
    foxdrag0nfoxdrag0n Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    My drain build:
    Holodeck Flow: 397
    Tribble DrainX: 449

My PartG build, aiming for balance between PartG and GG for GravWell:
    Holodeck PartG: 396
    Holodeck GravG: 255
    Tribble EPG: 421.9
    Tribble Control: 295.2
  • Options
    daiph wrote: »
    If you're going to nerf Sci, just come out and say you're nerfing Sci. This whole dancing around 'oh, but 1 pt is still 1 pt' is misleading and tiresome.

Frankly, so is the insistence that I'm lying.

Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    baiazbaiaz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Hello :)
    I want to ask something a bit different. In the tooltip of the the new DrainX and ControlX skills it says that they improve our drain/drainresist and control/control resist. So in other words they combine for example DrainX = FlowCaps + PowerInsulators and ControlX= GravGens + InertialDamp.

Is my assumption correct ?

If it is correct.... On many items currently they do not seem to translate correctly. For example Borg Deflector gets only ControlX, but originally it has Power Insulators ( which should translate to DrainX, if my assumption is correct).

Is this intentional or a Bug ?

And a final question . Do Inertial Dampeners and Power Insulators translate also 1:1 ?
  • Options
    daiphdaiph Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    daiph wrote: »
    If you're going to nerf Sci, just come out and say you're nerfing Sci. This whole dancing around 'oh, but 1 pt is still 1 pt' is misleading and tiresome.

Frankly, so is the insistence that I'm lying.

Stop misleading and being evasive then?

Okay, let's be direct here.
    Is it accurate to say that 1 point of flow caps in the old system which is now 1point of DrainX, equatable to 50% effectiveness in the new system? Ie, half a return of flow caps overall?

If so, 'players lose nothing' is clearly incorrect.

Further, since both control and drain expertise both boost their resists by 100% effectiveness while the active skills which apply those effects only gain 50% effectiveness, is it not completely factual to say that science-based abilities are being nerfed by providing a much higher and intrinsic resist pool from the same number of skill points?
    Worse is that there's no option to take the resist without the skill or vice versa. Gone now is the option to take your points and only put them in the resists because you weren't going to use heavy GWs or TBRs and just wanted to fly around unhindered, for example.
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
    Stop new content until quality returns
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    dareau wrote: »
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    Yeah, so take your beam boat and drop it's crit rate from 50%+ to 1.6%. That's what my gravity well is doing now. 316 points (less DR but they aren't showing us our skill stats any more so I can't tell you) and I get 1.6% crit out of it? It was 50%. The Theta Radiation from the Plasma Emission Torpedo is down 60%. Feedback Pulse is up from .90 reflection to 1.3 and is 50% down. Gravity Well 3 is is down over 50% (probably because it's not critting). Destabilizing Resonance Beam is down 90%! The only exotic damage getting any crits is the Theta Radiation.

If PartG needed a nerf, it didn't need gutted. I can't even break 10k total DPS in Japora on normal. My tactical captain however can sneeze and blow up groups of ships now.

My numbers match or exceed my Holodeck numbers. So you tell me Mr Beam Boat FAW Hero...

Could the "unexpected" loss of crit be related to either having a "lost" trait or possibly a bit of... confusion... in the translations between the old "regular" particle generator title and the new "exotic" particle generator title...

I found the problem. The R&D consoles with PG and GG are not buffing things it seems. The old Embassy exotic-plasma ones are. One thing that is definitely happening is the R&D consoles with PartGens and GravGens are not working properly. Replacing them with the Embassy Weapons Nullifiers with the "Exotic-Plasma" bonus brought my build back up.

At some point in one of the too many to count disconnects I had while trying to test, the space/ground traits turned off. The reputation traits stayed on. I didn't notice this until the powers tray became a jumbled mess and loading the saved arrangement didn't fix it. I had to go back through and redo my tray. I didn't redo my traits. By this time, I was so thoroughly frustrated that every button of the tree became a bit of confusion. I replicated the numbers almost exactly (I lost hull regeneration and found absolutely no way to get it back to where it was before even allocating all 6 points into the healing and max health).

It's a console problem disconnect. I was too frustrated to check other builds at this point because all of their trays have become a jumbled mess. I can say that my tactical captain is very happy with the new skill tree. She saw a 50% increase in her performance.

The constant disconnects make it nearly impossible to stay focused when nothing you changed is changed when you get back. I'm going to sit on it until the next patch. I can't figure anything out in a loading screen.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User

Think that's really just for tactical-focused carriers like the KDF T6 Raptor and Armitage family etc. Rest of them won't actually want or need those surely ?

Those passive's would be useful to any carrier, though neither will be as currently constructed.......
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    I'm going to put thoughts as a person who really wants to get in science but doesn't due to their inconsistent results. As well as the harsh fact that consoles like plasmonic leech do what some science abilities do but better. So to back up @lucho80 with the new changes to defensive skills being merged with offensive ones.

I really do think it's time to tweak the science non-heal based abilities in general. Shield drains, Tachyon beam and Particle Burst
    are some of the worst offenders as far as under performing, shield hardness or Regen debuff maybe ? For particle burst especially it be nice if it could debuff the Shield % hp of enemy increasing with ability level and skill level, aux should make aoe bigger. In fact maybe instead of shield damage they both could work in such function that would make them more useful, with tachyon beam being a stacking debuff up to 10 times ?

Energy Siphon as far as pure energy gain this needs to be superior especially energy siphon 3 to plasmonic leech as well as a few of the other. I also agree with @lucho80 that drain should be higher then the gain for majority of the abilities like say plasmonic leech should get no more then 1/4 the power gain per energy enemy lost, but should be better at draining energy. Energy siphon 1 should get 1/3 siphon 2 2/3 siphon 3 1:1. This will make there focus on draining the enemy more the focus and less about making FAW builds better. Though they will still gain a benefit it still won't be as good as say science ship, who can afford to slot a energy siphon 3, I also think it needs a buff to it's base duration.

With new threat management I'd also like to see Jam sensors on expiring it's placate and scramble sensors to have a threat debuff on your self which lowers your threat generation.

viral matrix just needs to become a actual debuff that has a chance to be reapplied even after the some one reboots a subsystem. It should still be removable though through use of science team or the like.

Mask Energy Signature I would just remove or lower the power debuff.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Your right we need to test these lesser used powers and hopefully have them buffed into relevancy. Gauging the usefulness of disables is going to be damned difficult.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

Mask energy signature is a joke of a boff ability.
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »

Mask energy signature is a joke of a boff ability.

It is but honestly can't think of anything better.... to improve it, with out making it basically cloak.