test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don't want to download tribble when we could preview it in a web based skill planner.

As the title says, why should we have to download tribble to check out the new skill system, when a non-game dependent web based demo could do that job just as well?

For example:
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=dreambeamboat_6360

Comments

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Then don't download it.

You do realize that most of the questions that are already being asked about the new skill tree would never be able to be answered from a web based page, detached from the game, right? How it all works "under the hood" would never be truly represented until the tree was attached to a character in game and people saw how it worked.

Not to mention, looking at a pretty web page would never put this system to any kind of test, which is, at least in title, the purpose of Tribble, the Test Server.

So, if you don't want to download Tribble and check it out, don't. Wait until it goes live and download the game file at the same time everyone else is. Just don't complain about the load times OR how the system works. You lose that right by not giving proper feedback by checking it out beforehand.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Lol at all those hurrying to tribble to look what it is. BTW, if you are on tribble, take a look at what is working and what not, the bugs. That is the main purpose of that server. I am quite sure when the new system goes live, I will find something that is not proper working.

Anyway, I am happy with the skill system we have and I will manage the new one when it is there. This game is too average to go on your toes. For those who think it is much more important, good luck in getting world champion STO.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    Then don't download it.

You do realize that most of the questions that are already being asked about the new skill tree would never be able to be answered from a web based page, detached from the game, right? How it all works "under the hood" would never be truly represented until the tree was attached to a character in game and people saw how it worked.

Not to mention, looking at a pretty web page would never put this system to any kind of test, which is, at least in title, the purpose of Tribble, the Test Server.

So, if you don't want to download Tribble and check it out, don't. Wait until it goes live and download the game file at the same time everyone else is. Just don't complain about the load times OR how the system works. You lose that right by not giving proper feedback by checking it out beforehand.

Nobody looses the right to complain when deciding not to become trible tester.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    The data you download for Tribble later saves you time when the new skill system goes live on the Holodeck server. So you would have to download it anyways at some point.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I'd bother to tribble if we got assurances they'd listen and respond to our feedback rather than ignoring it as we don't fawn over it like sycophants​​
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    @peterconnorfirst

Sadly, you are right. You don't lose the right, but you do lose some credibility when you do. Unfortunately, some don't really care about being credible, they just want to rage.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    The data you download for Tribble later saves you time when the new skill system goes live on the Holodeck server. So you would have to download it anyways at some point.

I'd rather not have 2 versions of the same game on the my system, just for testing.
    You do realize that most of the questions that are already being asked about the new skill tree would never be able to be answered from a web based page

Many other questions would be answered. And actually most of the questions I'm seeing are solely build oriented questions, so a web preview would answer quite a lot of those.

• Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    huskerklg wrote: »
    As the title says, why should we have to download tribble to check out the new skill system, when a non-game dependent web based demo could do that job just as well?

For example:

Everything on Tribble is for testing. Not for you to window shop.
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User

#facepalm Which is why I'd prefer to not download it and have a web based preview.

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Someone with the knowledge could just make a third party one, eventually that'll probably happen anyway. And to all the obnoxious and overly rude nay sayers, not everyone wants to download a second copy of the game or play through the entire tutorial just to test something and if you can't be respectful in voicing your disagreement, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.

tl;dr this is better handled by enthusiastic players than devs
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,330 Arc User

For example:

Don't think of it as downloading the test server, but as pre-patching for the next big update.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    It's up to whoever runs STO Academy which is not STO to put up the new system on the academy. The leveling part will only be for part of the testing, so it you will be able to see what it does to your build on tribble before it goes live if you chose to. I would suggest doing that since it's unlikely we'll get more than 1 respec. Some will be able to transfer thier builds with no problems others wont, personally I don't see where the new system will actually help new players all that much but with some tweaks it wont be a bad system.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Someone with the knowledge could just make a third party one, eventually that'll probably happen anyway. And to all the obnoxious and overly rude nay sayers, not everyone wants to download a second copy of the game or play through the entire tutorial just to test something and if you can't be respectful in voicing your disagreement, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.

Nobody here has the right to tell anyone else what they can or cannot say except forum mods.

I wasn't trying to say what you or anyone can or cannot say, I was trying to suggest that maybe the way some people here say things isn't the way a normal, decent human being would. No offense, but certain people on this forum just seem to go from thread to thread bullying anyone they disagree with. They may not break any forum rules, but that doesn't necessarily make what they say decent. There's a difference between polite, respectful disagreement, and being a donkey.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    uglydiseaseuglydisease Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    The devs actually want someone to create a skill simulator for the revamp, no doubt the current skill planner website will do it eventually, but I might take a crack at doing something stupidly simple before then. Don't expect it to be flashy or webbased though.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Someone already did make a web preview of it. I don't remember the link*, though, but i am sure it will float back up to the top of the General Discussion Forums soon enough.

I don't expect the devs to make them. The time they spend building a website is better spend on building stuff in the game. Especially since anything official would probably only make sense to make if the system has been finalized and is heading to Holodeck.

What I could see is them making is a conversion guide in a blog post (they mention something in the direction in the live stream). That seems feasible. But also not as a preview now, but as something accompanying the release to Holodeck.

*Oops, found it, it was in fact already on the first page of this forum:
    Thanks to @aesica:
    EDIT:
    aesica wrote: »
    Because here's a talent (skill?) calculator I threw together:

http://www.aesica.net/sto

It seemed like a good idea at the time, and I figure it might be helpful for people. Feel free to report any bugs, as its still very much a work in progress.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    Your question is:

"Why should we have to download tribble to check out the new skill system? a non-game dependent web based demo could do that job just as well?"

The answer is:

You don't 'have' to do anything. Cryptic is not the 3rd Reich and will not break down your door if you decide not to partake in tribble.

A none game dependent web demo 'could' be made in order to accommodate people such as yourself - but given the limited resources the devs have, and the fact that it is pretty simple to partake in tribble - this would be both a waste of time and resources.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    A Web browser preview won't give you real time performance analysis. It just gives you numbers. Actually testing it on a server and seeing how things perform and how things can be adjusted to better fit your playstyle is what makes it worth the effort.

Trying it out and actually SEEING what kind of impact the changes will have vs glorified Calculator spreadsheet.

I'll take the Test Server any day. I'd actually like to feel the changes. Not do Math and estimate the performance impact.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Maybe this is wht you are looking for OP?

http://www.stf-vanguard.com/STO-Skill-Planner/
    8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    I'd bother to tribble if we got assurances they'd listen and respond to our feedback rather than ignoring it as we don't fawn over it like sycophants​​

You know, I knew I was gonna need this quote at some point~
    Yeah. Won me over. Good points made in this thread.

I'll be changing it to Perception.

At this point gear conversions, benefit choices (twice!), and entire skills are getting reworked based entirely on player feedback since the system was first revealed. Bugs have been identified and squashed, general weirdness tracked down and un-weirded. All in about 2 weeks... That's moving at a breakneck pace in game design terms.

If you don't want to bestir yourself because you might not get some personal hand holding, please, stay out. The point is to get a better game, not to play "sempai please look at me."
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    dd1m wrote: »

Uh oh, it's an arms race! :D
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

Still loving your tool but you've got some work coming up...
    Heads up before this conversation goes around in the same circles again... another Unlock Path re-shuffle is on the horizon. I haven't nailed down the new order, but will post it next week when I do.

There's going to be a Skill shuffle, as well.

There's a chance there to pull ahead of the competition :).
  • Options
    dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    dd1m wrote: »

I will point out that skill planner is not mine, I found it over on Reddit ;)

8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

Still loving your tool but you've got some work coming up...
    Heads up before this conversation goes around in the same circles again... another Unlock Path re-shuffle is on the horizon. I haven't nailed down the new order, but will post it next week when I do.

There's going to be a Skill shuffle, as well.

There's a chance there to pull ahead of the competition :).
    Oh, thanks for bringing that to my attention. This makes me really glad I took the time to code things in a way that makes shuffling things around totally trivial.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    To the OP: as a member of STO and this forum, I apologize for the reception you've gotten for your reasonable post. Unfortunately, such a response is quite normal around here.
    Then don't download it.

Is it really not obvious to you that the OP just wants a basic skill planner? He probably wants to see what skills he'll have to get to unlock various training manuals and such.

I didn't know customers lose the right to complain about a product or service just because they didn't want to be unpaid beta testers. You should leave a comment on 99.999% of the reviews on Amazon, Newegg, etc. to correct those reviewers' misconception that they have a right to an opinion on something they didn't help beta test.
    @peterconnorfirst

Sadly, you are right. You don't lose the right, but you do lose some credibility when you do. Unfortunately, some don't really care about being credible, they just want to rage.

Never mind what I said about telling virtually every reviewer everywhere that they don't have a right to review things. Instead, you should tell them that they're not credible and that they're just raging.

For example:

Is it not obvious to you, either, that the OP isn't interested in being an unpaid beta tester, just wants a skill planner, and is tired of repeatedly being told (by players whose idea of Tribble's purpose is apparently different from yours) to go test it on Tribble?
    The whole point is for this new system to be TESTED by players, you don't wanna test it, then you get to wait until it goes live to Holodeck, thats just how it is. Tribble is not there to "preview" things, it is there to test them, since things can and do change after testing any "web based preview" would likely be inaccurate in short order requiring more Dev time to update it, time they would be much better off spending on other work.

You too, I guess. Again: the OP just wants a skill planner. He doesn't want to misuse Tribble. In fact, this thread was probably in response to people telling the OP to use Tribble just to see the new skills, and he's looking for a way to avoid this misuse.

Nobody here has the right to tell anyone else what they can or cannot say except forum mods.

I wasn't trying to say what you or anyone can or cannot say, I was trying to suggest that maybe the way some people here say things isn't the way a normal, decent human being would. No offense, but certain people on this forum just seem to go from thread to thread bullying anyone they disagree with. They may not break any forum rules, but that doesn't necessarily make what they say decent. There's a difference between polite, respectful disagreement, and being a donkey.

Finally, a voice of reason. I'm glad someone is willing to behave themselves rather than revving up the hate engine at the drop of a hat.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Your question is:

"Why should we have to download tribble to check out the new skill system? a non-game dependent web based demo could do that job just as well?"

The answer is:

You don't 'have' to do anything. Cryptic is not the 3rd Reich and will not break down your door if you decide not to partake in tribble.

A none game dependent web demo 'could' be made in order to accommodate people such as yourself - but given the limited resources the devs have, and the fact that it is pretty simple to partake in tribble - this would be both a waste of time and resources.

Did you not read the entire first sentence? It wasn't long. I'll quote it again.

"Why should we have to download tribble to check out the new skill system?"

In order to do X - check out the new skill system - players must first do Y - download Tribble. As far as the OP knew, there was no other way to check out the new skill system. Doing that would necessitate downloading Tribble. That's basic logic. It is an extremely common usage of the phrase "have to." Other examples: "I have to head out," "if you want to post you'll have to register," "looks like I'll have to retype that," and so on. This misunderstanding seems to be a popular fallacy on these forums. I would say I'll just have to get used to it, but the Third Reich isn't breaking down my door, are they?
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »
    To the OP: as a member of STO and this forum, I apologize for the reception you've gotten for your reasonable post. Unfortunately, such a response is quite normal around here.
    Then don't download it.

Is it really not obvious to you that the OP just wants a basic skill planner? He probably wants to see what skills he'll have to get to unlock various training manuals and such.

I didn't know customers lose the right to complain about a product or service just because they didn't want to be unpaid beta testers. You should leave a comment on 99.999% of the reviews on Amazon, Newegg, etc. to correct those reviewers' misconception that they have a right to an opinion on something they didn't help beta test.
    @peterconnorfirst

Never mind what I said about telling virtually every reviewer everywhere that they don't have a right to review things. Instead, you should tell them that they're not credible and that they're just raging.

For example:

Is it not obvious to you, either, that the OP isn't interested in being an unpaid beta tester, just wants a skill planner, and is tired of repeatedly being told (by players whose idea of Tribble's purpose is apparently different from yours) to go test it on Tribble?
    The whole point is for this new system to be TESTED by players, you don't wanna test it, then you get to wait until it goes live to Holodeck, thats just how it is. Tribble is not there to "preview" things, it is there to test them, since things can and do change after testing any "web based preview" would likely be inaccurate in short order requiring more Dev time to update it, time they would be much better off spending on other work.

You too, I guess. Again: the OP just wants a skill planner. He doesn't want to misuse Tribble. In fact, this thread was probably in response to people telling the OP to use Tribble just to see the new skills, and he's looking for a way to avoid this misuse.

Finally, a voice of reason. I'm glad someone is willing to behave themselves rather than revving up the hate engine at the drop of a hat.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Your question is:

The answer is:

Did you not read the entire first sentence? It wasn't long. I'll quote it again.

"Why should we have to download tribble to check out the new skill system?"

In order to do X - check out the new skill system - players must first do Y - download Tribble. As far as the OP knew, there was no other way to check out the new skill system. Doing that would necessitate downloading Tribble. That's basic logic. It is an extremely common usage of the phrase "have to." Other examples: "I have to head out," "if you want to post you'll have to register," "looks like I'll have to retype that," and so on. This misunderstanding seems to be a popular fallacy on these forums. I would say I'll just have to get used to it, but the Third Reich isn't breaking down my door, are they?

There was no hate in any of the posts you quoted, especially not mine. Plenty of perfectly reasonable points, on both sides, but no hate. The only hate I see is your comparing people you disagree with to the third reich, way to go on the overblown dramatics btw.

All I see is strawmen, love it or leave it, "you don't have the right to complain unless you're an unpaid beta tester," and so on. Only a single poster (other than myself) was disappointed at how none of the other posts seem to take the slightest effort to treat the OP like a human being, instead twisting his words and making him out to be some lazy entitled freeloader.

And no, I didn't make that comparison. Someone else seems to think that as long as people aren't physically forcing you to do something, it means you don't "have to" do it. I demonstrated how foolish that idea is, saying that the same indication of "having to" do something isn't present in the case of accepting this forum's toxicity.

Please remember that some of the content of my posts may consist of quotes. These quotes are from other people and may not represent my views.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    There is a specific option that Cryptic has chosen to make available to the players to use, if one wishes to do so.
    If one chooses not to use it, who's at fault?
    Asking for another option from Cryptic, that is obviously not going to happen due to the time and effort it would cost to implement, seems foolish at best.

Tribble has been around since the start of the game (SIX YEARS) and available to any who wish to partake.
    Why is it now all of a sudden, that somebody finds it inconvenient to use?

b6656e8518dfe8b8ed677dd94770ec33.jpg

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif