What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Skill System Revamp

Comments

• Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2016
    one other question regarding the threatening stance and resists. As it sits right now from the way I read the current skill it also provides some damage resistance boost as well. Forgive me if I missed this portion of it but, are these resists being removed or how is that going to work?

The amount of Damage Resistance given by Threat Control is meager, especially when you factor in diminishing returns. Under the new Skill System, Threat Control will no longer have anything to do with Damage Resistance. We're also improving the benefit you get from the actual Damage Resistance skills.
    Also how will these new skill changes effect resistances overall such as Antiproton damage resist or disruptor resistances overall being an example?

I'm not sure what you mean. Skills have never impacted resistances to specific energy types, just Kinetic/Physical vs. Energy. Energy Resistance covers both of the examples you gave - always has, and will continue to do so.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    aristocratsupremaristocratsuprem Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    I have all 4 trees filled in full, AND 20 excess Spec points waiting for what I was hoping may be a 5th Tree to be introduced later.

1. What is to become of those extra unspent Spec Points I have?

2. If I have all 4 trees full now, will I have all the trees filled in the new system?

I worked dang hard for all of those Spec points and filling up all those Spec Trees, and don't want to see them devalued in any way where I have to grind some more just to get back to where i was. Nobody likes seeing goalposts being moved back. It kills all hope of motivation.
  • Options
    I have all 4 trees filled in full, AND 20 excess Spec points waiting for what I was hoping may be a 5th Tree to be introduced later.

2. If I have all 4 trees full now, will I have all the trees filled in the new system?

I worked dang hard for all of those Spec points and filling up all those Spec Trees, and don't want to see them devalued in any way where I have to grind some more just to get back to where i was. Nobody likes seeing goalposts being moved back. It kills all hope of motivation.

This has nothing to do with Specializations or Spec Points, except that they're going to be found near one another in the UI.

The Skill System is for determining how your character advances from levels 1-50. The Specialization System kicks in at 50+.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    Now I have to research how this will affect my Engines. (Romulan Prototype)
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

The amount of Damage Resistance given by Threat Control is meager, especially when you factor in diminishing returns. Under the new Skill System, Threat Control will no longer have anything to do with Damage Resistance. We're also improving the benefit you get from the actual Damage Resistance skills.

Hope that between that boost and the shield mastery, I can actually PvP and not get blown up in a sec by nasty combos which usually include TS3+Neutronic torpedo.
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Will the new Threas Control Skill produce more aggro than now so tanks will be able to draw the aggro without the need to also do a lot of DPS?
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited February 2016
    My head is still spinning - a few thoughts:
    As I've already mentioned, all existing players will automatically have their Skills refunded when this system goes to Holodeck. You will be automatically granted the correct number of Space Points and Ground Points based on your current level.

This needs to be over communicated to the populace. Blog posts are awesome, but we've established the majority don't read them. Something major needs to be done in the game itself to tell returning players.

Question One: does this mean we're headed to a cross-classing style of skill development given that 25 skill points in one class gives you a special ability?

Question Two: could we possibly see more points at a later date? Perhaps racial bonuses (Vulcans get 10 extra points)?
    szim wrote: »
    Sounds very interesting. A revamp of the skill system is very much welcome. But with yet another set of new abilities coming in, would you please consider expanding the UI so we have enough room to slot them all? A fourth or even fifth row of possible abilities would be very much appreciated.

Oh dear God yes.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    We're proud to announce our new Skill System Revamp! We have set out to create a more streamlined experience that makes gaining levels and skills more enjoyable and impactful.

Learn more about the c-c-c-c-changes.

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

This looks fun. I mean, relearning a skill system? And then applying it to multiple characters? I'm game to try this out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aristocratsupremaristocratsuprem Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    My bad. I was under the impression that this was going to be a spec tree revamp.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    so um...all the skill boosts on consoles, engines, deflectors, shields, whatever...what's happening with those since they'll be boosting something that no longer exists?

@borticuscryptic you wanna chime in here?​​

Reading the blog post, my head didn't hurt at all and I understood most of what was being said. Reading this post and just thinking of all the equipment affected ... now my head hurts. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Pretty freekin comical. Just popped my 6th mastery last night on a toon created in October (lvl 62 now) and have only spent 6k skill points from the current skill tree and can't figure out why skill points are even needed. I was actually going to spend the reaminder of my points last night and actually build a character, but am glad I didn't waste the time. Ya, I'm sure the noobs appreciate the handholding of the old system but the reality is no skills are even needed to progress in the game. Nice,eh.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User

This has nothing to do with Specializations or Spec Points, except that they're going to be found near one another in the UI.

The Skill System is for determining how your character advances from levels 1-50. The Specialization System kicks in at 50+.

I'm sorry, but that so did not answer either of my questions. Will my having 4 full trees worth of Specs mean I'll have full spec trees in the revamped system, or will I end up with devalued points and have to go back to grinding to get back to filled? Will I still keep my excess spec points or will they be flushed away after this change?

The Spec Trees are not being revamped. The Skill Trees are. You are talking apple and oranges here. The Spec System is not being touched, modified or changed by this alteration the Skill Tree system.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »
    Wait. This seems a lot like the ORIGINAL Skill Tree just aligned vertically rather than horizontally. It might not be that way in practice, but it does give me that impression.
    Nah, even the original skill tree had 0-9 in each skill. Also, it had stupid things like separate skills for the various energy weapon types...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    You will get a total of 46 Space Points and 10 Ground Points. There are 90 Space Skill Nodes you can purchase, and 20 Ground Skill Nodes. So no, you won't be able to buy everything.

That's a shame :(

Not as much as you are thinking:

Currently -
    spendable : max possible
    space = 300,000 : 630,000, ratio = 0.47619...
    ground = 100,000 : 180,000 ratio = 0.55555...

New -
    spendable : max possible
    space = 46 : 90 ratio = 0.51111....
    ground = 10 : 20 ratio = 0.5

So the only people being nerfed are pure ground specced characters; an average player can expect an increase in their potential given the vast majority of players spec more into space than ground.

The old system awarded a decreasing Skill improvement (18/18/18/10/10/10/5/5/5) per "pip" purchased, where you could trade say 15 Skill in something you might consider a priority to gain 54 Skill in something you desired as a secondary characteristic, while conversely allowing you to completely ignore one category of high-cost Skills (say Subspace Decompiler) in order to allow for a heavier investment in less expensive Skills (say Graviton Generators). The new system lacks that capability, with each unlock costing just as much as the next. Until we actually get a chance to see what it does in practice, I think your math is a tad simplistic.

My maths demonstrates that this kind of post: (quoted as an example of the kind)
    daveyny wrote: »
    90 Skills - 56 Skill Points...

Even I can see this is a Nerf.

Is wrong based on the information we have currently, given we have very little idea how the new system works.

Now, you are correct to say it is simplified; however, do you have enough information to do the comparison you want to make?
  • Options
    heartbrake#3322 heartbrake Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Welcome to the new Star Trek Online, where every single player will now have the same exact skill tree regardless your build or weapons or even options!!!
  • Options
    so um...all the skill boosts on consoles, engines, deflectors, shields, whatever...what's happening with those since they'll be boosting something that no longer exists?

@borticuscryptic you wanna chime in here?​​

Reading the blog post, my head didn't hurt at all and I understood most of what was being said. Reading this post and just thinking of all the equipment affected ... now my head hurts. ;)

I've already answered this: Items, Traits, etc... all will be adapted/translated to relate to the new Skills.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    1. This demands at least few free respecs considering how confusing this looks.
    2. It'd be nice to see a video or some such displaying the use of this new tree system to help make the transition easier.
    3. Is this going to potentially mess up people's builds?
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    I'm not sure what you mean. Skills have never impacted resistances to specific energy types, just Kinetic/Physical vs. Energy. Energy Resistance covers both of the examples you gave - always has, and will continue to do so.

You pretty much answered my 2nd question with this right here. I was concerned that something was being done with resistances that could potentially lower what I have now drastically or something along those lines. thanks for clearing that up.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    I'm curious how this will affect one piece of gear in particular: The Romulan Engines. Will they continue boosting Attack Patterns, or be switched to something else since that skill no longer exists?
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    @Lucho80

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say your a hardcore PVP player and most of the people you fight are likely also hardcore PVP players because that's just how it is in this game. So, why would they bother themselves with silly things like Plasmonic Leech which has to be totally inferior to something like an armor console? That's not to say people won't still invest in it to defend themselves but I'm just making that point.

Secondly, since there are 90 skill boxes I have to assume it's an even split of 30/30/30 for each career type and given the improvements they've made to lesser used skills one can also assume most DPS players will likely invest in almost all tactical skills leaving them very few points to spare for other things like survival because NPC's are of course very stupid and easy to kill.

So, while many people likely will invest in that skill they will probably not be the players you fight and if any of them are in fact stupid enough to wander into your playpen I highly doubt one single skill will stop you from tearing them to shreds in short order.

I originally put this in the wrong thread so I'm reposting it over here for reference.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »
    Wait. This seems a lot like the ORIGINAL Skill Tree just aligned vertically rather than horizontally. It might not be that way in practice, but it does give me that impression.
    Nah, even the original skill tree had 0-9 in each skill. Also, it had stupid things like separate skills for the various energy weapon types...

Not to mention ship types, lol. Can you imagine the gigantic chaos if they would still do that ? :D
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »

Lol, from a science captain point of view, this is a boost. Poor subspace decompiler and countermeasure systems which were underused because of how expensive they were now are joined with grav gens. My science captain loves this change.

This is a direct nerf to "TAC or GTFO," and "BFAW or GTFO" which is a good thing.
  • Options
    I'm curious how this will affect one piece of gear in particular: The Romulan Engines. Will they continue boosting Attack Patterns, or be switched to something else since that skill no longer exists?

Items that grant Attack Patterns will be translated to granting one of the new Skills. Probably either Weapon Penetration or Long-Range Targeting.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    heartbrake#3322 heartbrake Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    sov42 wrote: »
    1. 3. Is this going to potentially mess up people's builds?
    Of course it does, common sense tells you that.
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    Welcome to the new Star Trek Online, where every single player will now have the same exact skill tree regardless your build or weapons or even options!!!

how is giving MORE choice and options going to lead to fewer builds...
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User

Items that grant Attack Patterns will be translated to granting one of the new Skills. Probably either Weapon Penetration or Long-Range Targeting.

SO does that mean Attack Patterns are gone?

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Well I am excited but a little wary of how my current consoles and such will change... what all is being rolled in with the particle generators skill exactly?

And since many things can be boosted by one skill what happens to things like the Solanae deflector for example? It currently gives a nice boost to PRTG will that be reduced to compensate for the fact that it will enhance multiple skills now?

Will y'all take this opportunity to tune up old and useless oddball things like the Breen set which have weird bonuses spread everywhere?
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter

4837709-0434536028-aoz8k.jpg

PLEASE?

If I had to Pick... I'd ask for Weapon Penetration. :smile:
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User

Well, you have to replace the Attack pattern thingy with something I suppose. But at least enhancing Attack patterns made sense for an engine, with all the maneuvers and such. Weapon Penetration or that Long Range Sensor thing not so much. :p