test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Continued DDOS attacks

I know I am probably going to get smashed for even bringing this up, but what gives with the DDOS attacks? I simply cannot understand how, as a game company, you can allow this to go on for weeks. The person (or persons) who are responsible for this are known (supposedly), and yet this continues during peak play times. Can I please get a response from someone regarding this and any attempts to nail the culprit and fix your network so freely available scripts for kiddies cannot bring down the game and irk your paying customers?

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    If only it were that simple...
    The TRIBBLE-hat that's doing this is using a bypass method, so it's almost impossible for Cryptic to nail him.
    Plus he's not in the USA, so there's that they have to deal with also.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    homeboy2011homeboy2011 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    The TRIBBLE-hat that's doing this is using a bypass method, so it's almost impossible for Cryptic to nail him.

So are the network systems that other game companies use to prevent these types of attacks prohibitively expensive for Cryptic? I mean, you think that other MMOs have people that don't get irate and try to punish the companies? But, on other mmos I have played (not mentioning any by name) they don't let this kind of attack bring them to their knees. So, why does Cryptic?
  • Options
    ninzombie14ninzombie14 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I am probably going to get slammed to, but for pete's sake - the server is crawlling - anyone else experiencing this???
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    You actually need to Google 'Companies that have had DDoS attacks' and get an idea of just how pervasive and complicated this is.
    PWE/Cryptic could spend millions and still not be able to stop jerks like this.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »

So are the network systems that other game companies use to prevent these types of attacks prohibitively expensive for Cryptic? I mean, you think that other MMOs have people that don't get irate and try to punish the companies? But, on other mmos I have played (not mentioning any by name) they don't let this kind of attack bring them to their knees. So, why does Cryptic?

You do realize that the PENTAGON is vulernable to a DDoS attack...right? If they can't stop it, what makes you think that cryptic can. And why does other MMO not get brought to their knees? Because some of them are bigger and can afford to have multiple server farms...so it's harder to hit them all...but ultimately, it's because they didn't draw the short stick. This moron has mental issues...namely delusions of grandeur...and the desposable income to support that. See, most people who have sever mental issues, generally lack money. This individual seems to be the rare case of somebody with money and mental issues that happens to play games. Each of these attacks that he is hiring out...even assuming he uses the cheap russians and chinese is gonna be a hundred bucks or so each time. So he has spent THOUSANDS of dollars already on his ego trip. Not many people get mad enough at a game where they think that is a good idea. And even of those SMALL number, how many of them have that kind of cash lying around? And knows who to contact to do this? Basically, yeah, cryptic drew the short stick to have the prefect storm in this waste of space.

The thing is, he is using twitter to brag...that means he can possible be tracked back via that source...and have vigilante hacking done on him. But cryptic is too small. Xbox live and PSN when they were plagued by DDoS attacks were basically saved in this manner. I doubt that there is a group willing to take that mantle in this case. So...we can wait for his money to run out...or for him to get bored.

He'll get over confident and end up attracting the attention of the law
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
      This is getting really old now. I have been really patient, going so far even as to try to calm others down. But I have been able to play a total of about 1 hour out of a possible 8 I had today. I decided to log back in, seeing as that it is close to time for dilithium refinement to turn over and things were good for about 10 minutes, but now here we are again. Massive lag, it takes 10 minutes to log in, then immediately after logging in I get disconnected and have to start all over again. That whole process of even trying to get into the game is enough. I have had it up to here *raises hand to forehead*, it is frustrating.

Do something Cryptic, please. And let us know what you are doing, if anything. Tell us anything to alleviate this worry and frustration we all feel, let us know you still care. Give us a sign!