test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Red Alert! Hamsters Are Under Attack!

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Where's the dang Profanity Filter Button gone to???
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    Neverwinter players are demanding blood on their forums too so...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lotusteadragonlotusteadragon Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    With our luck, its DDoS Prick again. And on a Friday Night too.

Then Cryptic needs to take steps to remedy this situation.

And how would you propose they do that? If its legal action... pretty sure that guy's not American and not IN America, so that gets complicated all to hell. If it securing the servers... how do you do that against a DDoS? The Prick's employing a Zombie Army to Zerg Rush the servers til they overload. Its not like you can IP Ban him because of the Zombies are not coming from his IP Address.

This. It's like punching the mailman because you received a bag of threatening letters that end up using other people's return addresses. There's no real way to combat that, and people just have to ride out the DDoS until other means of stabilization can be found. Some people use Cloudflare, but I'm not sure how that would work for game servers like STO.

All I can do is hope it comes back up soon. Until then, I wish Cryptic/PWE the best of luck in getting it resolved.
    Lotus_Tea_Dragon_STOBanner_Sig150x500.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    This. It's like punching the mailman because you received a bag of threatening letters that end up using other people's return addresses. There's no real way to combat that, and people just have to ride out the DDoS until other means of stabilization can be found. Some people use Cloudflare, but I'm not sure how that would work for game servers like STO.

All I can do is hope it comes back up soon. Until then, I wish Cryptic/PWE the best of luck in getting it resolved.

Neverwinter players are calling for contacting the FBI.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,882 Arc User
    edited January 2016

Must be someone with NO LIFE nor girl or boyfriend. Wish this guy could be caught and send him to the big house to get a "real" deserving life under 4 walls.

How dare this no lifer interrupt the gameplay of other no lifers ;)

Its close to midnight in my zone...some of us do work for a living...catch a nice dinner/movie and do this for a hobby. If you call that no life...well to each its own. At least some of us dont pretend to be petulant child to inflict damage to others in a cowardly way or defend his actions.

Have a good life and enjoy your gaming or whats left of it B)
    DUwNP.gif

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    This TRIBBLE is pissing me off. Can someone in cryptic or perfect world fix this issue.

It's hard to stop a DDoS, the Distributed part means the packets are coming from many, many sources and they need to be blocked far enough upstream that the don't clog up the pipes close to Cryptic's servers.

Hopefully Cryptic can subpoena twitter and the other social media sites the tantrum kid uses and he got sloppy with his seven proxies on one of them.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    Damn, I'd like to slap this jerk
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User

Must be someone with NO LIFE nor girl or boyfriend. Wish this guy could be caught and send him to the big house to get a "real" deserving life under 4 walls.

How dare this no lifer interrupt the gameplay of other no lifers ;)

Its close to midnight in my zone...some of us do work for a living...catch a nice dinner/movie and do this for a hobby. If you call that no life...well to each its own. At least some of us dont pretend to be petulant child to inflict damage to others in a cowardly way or defend his actions.

Have a good life and enjoy your gaming or whats left of it B)

lighten%20up%20francis_0.png
  • ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    SNR then Disconnect 5 times in 20 mins now....this DDOS is gonna ruin this anniversary.
    Edit: now im.disconnecting right after log in....
    Yeah. Gee you'd think a developer of an Online game would take steps to combat DDOS attack situations. Not Cryptic it seems. They just seem to hope the person(s) making the attacks get bored after a while and move on. That's pretty much how they seemed to handle it the last time Cryptic was hit by a POed DDOSer a few months back.
    Isn't it the same bitter little punk as before, DDOSing NW and we're the collateral damage?
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Tactical, target @****************'s house and fi ...
    [You have been disconnected]
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Time to play Solitare
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Yes it is.
  • lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Clearly we have passed the point of no return. It's time to crack open our neighbors skulls and feast on the goo inside.

909202_609196369110367_1169297127_n.jpg

• jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    Hell, I'm siding with the poster who wants to smash the prick's face in with his monitor.

That shows how angry I am right now.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    ovrkyl wrote: »
    semalda226 wrote: »
    SNR then Disconnect 5 times in 20 mins now....this DDOS is gonna ruin this anniversary.
    Edit: now im.disconnecting right after log in....
    Yeah. Gee you'd think a developer of an Online game would take steps to combat DDOS attack situations. Not Cryptic it seems. They just seem to hope the person(s) making the attacks get bored after a while and move on. That's pretty much how they seemed to handle it the last time Cryptic was hit by a POed DDOSer a few months back.
    Isn't it the same bitter little punk as before, DDOSing NW and we're the collateral damage?

Yeah, it is.

"The Prick" needs to spend a few years as Bubba's b*tch in Club Fed.

Let's see if he thinks he's still a goddamned god after that.

edited January 2016
    I'd just like to take a whack at the back of his head with his own keyboard....

About 25 times would do nicely.

Not too hard, just enough to annoy the frack outta him... and destroy the keyboard.
    B)
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    I'm back in as of 12:20am EDT.
    His methods have become unsound.

I'll see your motorcycle and raise.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    @daveymy;

Providing the keyboard is still intact after 20 times...
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User

I'll see your motorcycle and raise.
    maxresdefault.jpg

FOR TEH EMPRAH!!! :D

Well, yeah, but that's because we're on the internet. Everything is dire and drastic on the internet. ;)
  • lordofhatslordofhats Member Posts: 38 Arc User

Well, yeah, but that's because we're on the internet. Everything is dire and drastic on the internet. ;)

Well technically speaking, DDOSing a server is a Federal offense.

Realistically speaking, he's probably use a bot net and a proxy server for everything, and the FBI has better things to do than investigate a severe case of greifing.

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    jcsteele wrote: »
    @daveymy;

IBM Model M.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    A tank isn't heavy enough....anyone know how to get in touch with Oprah?
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

lordofhats wrote: »

Well technically speaking, DDOSing a server is a Federal offense.

Realistically speaking, he's probably use a bot net and a proxy server for everything, and the FBI has better things to do than investigate a severe case of greifing.

Agreed, but we like to overreact on the internet's what I'm saying.

"This game is lagging by 130ms."
    "FIRE THEM ALL AND BURN THEIR HOUSES AND COWS!"
    edited January 2016
    jcsteele wrote: »
    @daveymy;

I'd make sure it lasts...

https://youtu.be/hUTY5aFdN-4

>:)

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    If enough people stop spending money on this game and their oh-so-precious metrics take a serious hit, then they will do something about it. Until pwe/cryptic are properly motivated by poor ROI and declining revenue, they will simply shrug their shoulders and tell everyone, "We can't do anything." Of course you cannot do anything if it is painfully obvious you have no intention of even trying.

I wonder how other game companies keep their servers from suffering such an attack from the same person repeatedly?

I am willing to bet:
    a) there is a viable solution which is currently in place and working somewhere.
    b) It costs money.
    c) pwe/cryptic do not want to spend extra cash on what they view as a 'captive' audience.
    d) CBS, the license holders, are not completely aware of how weak the protection of their IP is over here at pwe/cryptic.

I am also willing to bet the second CBS's revenue takes a hit from this, they'll be all over pwe/cryptic like stink on horse droppings about finding this guy and shutting him down.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • lordofhatslordofhats Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    If enough people stop spending money on this game and their oh-so-precious metrics take a serious hit, then they will do something about it. Until pwe/cryptic are properly motivated by poor ROI and declining revenue, they will simply shrug their shoulders and tell everyone, "We can't do anything." Of course you cannot do anything if it is painfully obvious you have no intention of even trying.

I wonder how other game companies keep their servers from suffering such an attack from the same person repeatedly?

I am willing to bet:
    a) there is a viable solution which is currently in place and working somewhere.
    b) It costs money.
    c) pwe/cryptic do not want to spend extra cash on what they view as a 'captive' audience.
    d) CBS, the license holders, are not completely aware of how weak the protection of their IP is over here at pwe/cryptic.

I am also willing to bet the second CBS's revenue takes a hit from this, they'll be all over pwe/cryptic like stink on horse droppings about finding this guy and shutting him down.

I'm pretty sure if people can't play the game, there is no revenue.

The problem seems to be that this particular person is very persistent. Almost a whole week now. Large companies get DDOS'd all the time. The BBC was shut down for a few hours just last month.

• conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    send in...
    Anyone friends with a "goon"?
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    lordofhats wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if people can't play the game, there is no revenue.

The problem seems to be that this particular person is very persistent. Almost a whole week now. Large companies get DDOS'd all the time. The BBC was shut down for a few hours just last month.

i remember that. I have the RSS feed for them on my laptop. I also remember it was only for a few hours and they've not been down again since then. Which proves the point I was trying to make. Someone has a solution for this problem somewhere.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
This discussion has been closed.