What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance [January 21st, 2016]

Comments

• Options
    sicnussicnus Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    swamarian wrote: »
    They're alphabetizing the servers, so packets get routed faster. Also, they're rearranging the hard disks so that half spin clockwise, and half counterclockwise to reduce torque on the rack.

This post deserves recognition...
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Greetings Captains!

We will be having our scheduled maintenance tomorrow 1/21 at 6AM PST for 6 1/2 hours. You can find the patch notes here. We'll be doing a series of major updates to our server infrastructure. On top of this, we've adjusted (and making further) changes and 198.49.243.253 should be different in regards to latency. That being said, we're still going to be investigating latency issues as a whole and I am committed to further investigations.

=/\=

We value your feedback and want to help direct it to the right locations. Please check the following link to redirect to the best sub-forums to post your replies.

Experiencing a Gameplay Bug with our latest patch? Please click this link to be taken to our Gameplay Bug Report Section to file your reports.

Thank you for the assistance!

The Star Trek Online Team
    The game is a foot - er - footprint.
    investigation.jpeg
    No, wait... more like a cyber-footprint.
    Government-Investigations.jpg
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    6 1/2 hours? This must be the longest maintenance I have ever witnessed. Well, if we get rid of lags and long map loading times I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes.

Just noticed it was 6.5 hours as well. Thought i could log in and update tribble after 2 hours, but alas.
    This kind of maintenance tends to run late and so i expect 1.5 hours extra for a total of 8 hours.

What are your estimates folks?

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    zorander6zorander6 Member Posts: 130 Arc User

They're alphabetizing the servers, so packets get routed faster. Also, they're rearranging the hard disks so that half spin clockwise, and half counterclockwise to reduce torque on the rack.

Well and they are also giving the hamster at 198.49.243.253 some stimulants so it will pass packets faster. It appears to have grown used to caffeine so they are upping it's caffeine dosage as well but not completely sure they are using caffeine.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    sicnus wrote: »

My GF prefers Increased Torque on her 'rack'.
    But that's for a game that she plays "off-line".
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    sicnus wrote: »

My GF prefers Increased Torque on her 'rack'.
    But that's for a game that she plays "off-line".
    B)

Ooooh saucy!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    I'm wondering if this is to add server and network capacity for whatever Livelock is.

(In case anyone has missed it, several Cryptic / PWE community managers have been retweeting from https://twitter.com/playlivelock this *ahem* cryptic twitter feed, which has a 1/26 date on it).
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    It would be nice if the in the Known Issues Cryptic finally acknowledged the fact that they hate a problem with AMD vid card users and they are unable to update the game to work with new drivers. Having to roll back to an older version of the driver or being forced to use dx9 to play the game is not the way to make paying customers happy. Not a single word from them on the forums. And there are a lot of threads about this problem.

???
    Wouldn't that be a problem one should consult with AMD, since they are the ones who changed the parameters of their driver software?
    I remember a while back there was a problem with a NVidia driver patch and STO.
    They (NVidia) sent out another patch shortly afterward (when folks complained) which cleared up that particular problem.

Is it why I cannot access the game anymore? Radeon Mobility HD 4000 + 7000 series...

I'm not sure what you mean by "access?

The video card driver, probably wouldn't be the reason you can't "access" (get entry into) the game.
    That would most likely be your connection through the internet to the STO servers, or a problem with your internet provider.

Your video card would only prevent the game from operating correctly, once you logged in.
    i.e. it would crash your computer to the desktop, or you'd get a complete blue screen, or you'd get a notice that a particular part of the video software won't load/can't be found and the game would freeze.

Sorry for being vague.

Loading freezes at the game splash screen:

I can only see the game logo, fps hit 1 and get stuck there, and nothing responds unless I CTRL-ALT-DEL and launch Task manager to close the process.

Every once on several tries (in different periods) I can play - It' s been so for so long I forgot when it started, sure seasons ago.

I also missed the recent events because of this.

I submitted all the data, tracert, Internet provider etc, they asked for in the forums and for a while it seem to have worked then after some updates it went back.

I am sick tired of not being able to play when I want and going through this anxious process every time...

My opinion is they continually bite more than they can chew in terms of content updates but I'm not a software expert.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    A good day to run a full Defrag. :p
  • Options
    biggs4everbiggs4ever Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    6 1/2 hours? This must be the longest maintenance I have ever witnessed. Well, if we get rid of lags and long map loading times I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes.

HAHA how many times have we fixed server/latency issues before. You people can't honestly think whatever they are doing is gonna be the end of it. LMFAO
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Greetings Captains!

We will be having our scheduled maintenance tomorrow 1/21 at 6AM PST for 6 1/2 hours. You can find the patch notes here. We'll be doing a series of major updates to our server infrastructure. On top of this, we've adjusted (and making further) changes and 198.49.243.253 should be different in regards to latency. That being said, we're still going to be investigating latency issues as a whole and I am committed to further investigations.

=/\=

We value your feedback and want to help direct it to the right locations. Please check the following link to redirect to the best sub-forums to post your replies.

Experiencing a Gameplay Bug with our latest patch? Please click this link to be taken to our Gameplay Bug Report Section to file your reports.

this to route around boston and its awful ISP in the area? or is it just a new ip address but everything else remains where it is?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options

My PC is well defragged with fragmentation at 0%. No problem with other online games or problems of sort.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    It would be nice if the in the Known Issues Cryptic finally acknowledged the fact that they hate a problem with AMD vid card users and they are unable to update the game to work with new drivers. Having to roll back to an older version of the driver or being forced to use dx9 to play the game is not the way to make paying customers happy. Not a single word from them on the forums. And there are a lot of threads about this problem.

???
    Wouldn't that be a problem one should consult with AMD, since they are the ones who changed the parameters of their driver software?
    They (NVidia) sent out another patch shortly afterward (when folks complained) which cleared up that particular problem.

Is it why I cannot access the game anymore? Radeon Mobility HD 4000 + 7000 series...

The video card driver, probably wouldn't be the reason you can't "access" (get entry into) the game.
    That would most likely be your connection through the internet to the STO servers, or a problem with your internet provider.

Your video card would only prevent the game from operating correctly, once you logged in.
    i.e. it would crash your computer to the desktop, or you'd get a complete blue screen, or you'd get a notice that a particular part of the video software won't load/can't be found and the game would freeze.

Sorry for being vague.

I can only see the game logo, fps hit 1 and get stuck there, and nothing responds unless I CTRL-ALT-DEL and launch Task manager to close the process.

Every once on several tries (in different periods) I can play - It' s been so for so long I forgot when it started, sure seasons ago.

I submitted all the data, tracert, Internet provider etc, they asked for in the forums and for a while it seem to have worked then after some updates it went back.

I am sick tired of not being able to play when I want and going through this anxious process every time...

My opinion is they continually bite more than they can chew in terms of content updates but I'm not a software expert.

These are just some suggestions and in no way are guaranteed to work...

1) When the game acts up, try re-logging in in Safe Mode, occasionally this works.

2) At the Log-in screen, try using 'Force Verify' under OPTIONS, this forces the game to check to see if any of the software is missing or corrupted and attempts to repair it.

3) Another option is to UN-check the "On Demand" box under OPITONS. This causes the game to completely Pre-Load before actually starting up, instead of only loading the parts of the game you are playing at the moment.
    (It could be that the constant addition of parts of the software while you are playing the game, is overloading your system)

3) This last one is drastic, but it has worked for me in the past... Delete the game entirely from your hard-drive and reload it.
    Depending on your internet connection-speed, this could be a very, very, very long process, but if something is severely corrupted in the games software, this may be the only way to correct it.
    (If you have a copy of the original game disc, it might shorten the DL process a bit)

Of course these all focus on the problem being one in which it's something on your computer's hard-drive being the problem and not a video card driver-software problem.

Though the fact that you are able to occasionally play the game, seems to indicate to me that it's the former and not the latter.

I hope this is helpful.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User

???

Sorry for being vague.

1) When the game acts up, try re-logging in in Safe Mode, occasionally this works.

2) At the Log-in screen, try using 'Force Verify' under OPTIONS, this forces the game to check to see if any of the software is missing or corrupted and attempts to repair it.

3) Another option is to UN-check the "On Demand" box under OPITONS. This causes the game to completely Pre-Load before actually starting up, instead of only loading the parts of the game you are playing at the moment.
    (It could be that the constant addition of parts of the software while you are playing the game, is overloading your system)

3) This last one is drastic, but it has worked for me in the past... Delete the game entirely from your hard-drive and reload it.
    Depending on your internet connection-speed, this could be a very, very, very long process, but if something is severely corrupted in the games software, this may be the only way to correct it.
    (If you have a copy of the original game disc, it might shorten the DL process a bit)

Of course these all focus on the problem being one in which it's something on your computer's hard-drive being the problem and not a video card driver-software problem.

Though the fact that you are able to occasionally play the game, seems to indicate to me that it's the former and not the latter.

I hope this is helpful.
    B)

There are a lot of issues with AMD cards currently as well and STO's extremely dated engine. The 16.4 hotfix drivers seem to work well for some but not others. Maybe give those a try. Make sure you completely uninstall your previous drivers though before updating, to ensure there are no old bits of the Catalyst drivers left behind.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Release Notes: January 21st, 2016
    • Admiral Quinn will now appear as a strip of bacon.

:p

Not nice to tempt!!! :s
  • Options
    I'll follow the suggestions and report here. I hope it works.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Must be a stampede to get into the game, I'm unable to log in.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Im skipping my lunch time so I hope is up and running by 3:00 my time.

Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    jcsww wrote: »

???

Sorry for being vague.

I hope this is helpful.
    B)

There are a lot of issues with AMD cards currently as well and STO's extremely dated engine. The 16.4 hotfix drivers seem to work well for some but not others. Maybe give those a try. Make sure you completely uninstall your previous drivers though before updating, to ensure there are no old bits of the Catalyst drivers left behind.

Yeah, even with NVidia Installs, it's always best to do a complete uninstall of old drivers, they just don't seem to want to let go unless one forces them out and they can "...cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.." at the least expected times while playing a game.
    B)
  • Options
    aphantasmaphantasm Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Im skipping my lunch time so I hope is up and running by 3:00 my time.

Its possible the login server is down as well as the game server. That could be why you are not able to log in.
  • Options
    risingstar1971risingstar1971 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    This is why I stopped playing for over a year. Wasn't a game play issue, wasn't jerks in game or on the forums, it was the fact that I get ONE day off a week, and for over half that day you people are down.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Holodeck is unlocked! Welcome back Captains!
  • Options

My PC is well defragged with fragmentation at 0%. No problem with other online games or problems of sort.
    Sorry. I was referring to my own PC. Mine reads as 0% as well, but I'll run it anyway since my drive is so huge 0% could still effect one little file that could improve my performance if only it was back in order.

My hard drive may be the only orderly thing in my house. :)
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    What is UGC? From the launcher:

UGC has temporarily been disabled, we apologize for the inconvenience.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    bergins wrote: »

copied from the UGC foundry offline announcement:
    questerius wrote: »
    Could you refresh my memory? What exactly is UGC again?
    User Generated Content. Foundry.

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »

copied from the UGC foundry offline announcement:
    questerius wrote: »
    Could you refresh my memory? What exactly is UGC again?
    User Generated Content. Foundry.
    Was a little worried but its all good (I think) Patching now :+1:
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Logged on this evening after patch update. Lag is bad-I am experiencing warping on Red Alerts and enemy instances. It is actually worse than pre-patch. IP address 213.155.134.254 is 111-128ms with intermittent 4 percent packet loss. Remaining 6 hops are 114-129ms, no packet loss. Hops from me to 213.155.134.254 are running 25-40ms, no packet loss.
  • Options
    jaime7465jaime7465 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Greetings Captains!

=/\=

So does this mean the usual server lag, and the occasional crashing when loading from one sector map to another (Alpha -> Beta or reverse, or just trying to get into ESD) is going to be resolved? I noticed when I reported the issue a couple days ago it seemed to go away, but I just want to be sure, also when you say "upgrading the server infrastructure" what type or kind of upgrades are we talking about, this can range from every thing as small as add more RAM into the server to "were going to rip every thing out and get top of the line every thing" I am hoping for some decent hardware upgrades if it means fixing some of the lag issues that every one is experiencing, but that also should include ensuing your internet service is up to the task of handling the traffic loads too!!!

I am (and im sure everyone else is too) curious as to what the upgrades entail and when we might get to start seeing other game fixes that have been around for some time getting fixed!!

Please enlighten us as to the upgrade and whats being done!
This discussion has been closed.