test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance [January 21st, 2016]

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Greetings Captains!

We will be having our scheduled maintenance tomorrow 1/21 at 6AM PST for 6 1/2 hours. You can find the patch notes here. We'll be doing a series of major updates to our server infrastructure. On top of this, we've adjusted (and making further) changes and 198.49.243.253 should be different in regards to latency. That being said, we're still going to be investigating latency issues as a whole and I am committed to further investigations.

=/\=

We value your feedback and want to help direct it to the right locations. Please check the following link to redirect to the best sub-forums to post your replies.

Experiencing a Gameplay Bug with our latest patch? Please click this link to be taken to our Gameplay Bug Report Section to file your reports.

Thank you for the assistance!

The Star Trek Online Team

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Release Notes: January 21st, 2016
    • Admiral Quinn will now appear as a strip of bacon.

:p
  • Options
    gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    Thats great, more powerfull hamsters are always welcome.. are those new 6 legged transgenic hamsters that works with coffe and bacon?
  • Options
    talsinaartalsinaar Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    can we get an explanation as to what this means:

General:
    •Updating our server infrastructure for all Cryptic titles including Star Trek Online

... I have base understanding but what does this mean as a whole on how this will better the game, or affect it, and what things should we look for as bug issues for reporting. I know upgrading any hardware or software comes with glitches, sometimes creating them by accident, but whats to be expected with a update to the server infrastructure. does it mean your changing from 32bit to a 64bit, changing the hardware to more updated and possibly faster and cooler running HDs or SSDs, things like that. because just stating that is very vague and can leave more questions as to what really was done.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I am going to guess that something is going to go horribly wrong, as per usual, and maintenance will be extended by a couple of hours. :P
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    If it's the norm...
    It'll be back some time in March.
    <snicker>
    >:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Not in March - just after end of 6th anniversary >:)
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    So, the hamster wheel is getting outfiited with cruise control. Nice!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    6 1/2 hours? This must be the longest maintenance I have ever witnessed. Well, if we get rid of lags and long map loading times I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    szim wrote: »
    6 1/2 hours? This must be the longest maintenance I have ever witnessed. Well, if we get rid of lags and long map loading times I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes.
    Heh...
    Actually a ways back, we had one that lasted over 14 hours...
    Something wicked had snuck into the code and it took Them almost a whole day to get it figured out.
    Even then, it was a few days before everybody was able to log in and remain in game for any extended period.
    It was during the 'dark days' when Atari was on the way out and PWE was coming in.

<shudders to think about it>
    :o
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    It was during the 'dark days' when Atari was on the way out and PWE was coming in.

In the before time, in the long, long ago...
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I wonder if they are going to fix the t6 Breen ship (from Winter Wonderland) in that the ship is really low on the camera in Sector Space.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I wonder if they are going to fix the t6 Breen ship (from Winter Wonderland) in that the ship is really low on the camera in Sector Space.

According to patch notes, they fix nothing but the server infrastructure, so no game changes should be made.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Release Notes: January 21st, 2016
    • Admiral Quinn will now appear as a strip of bacon.

:p

I thought he was a Meat Popsicle. Ha! Take that, Conspiracy Bashers. I knew I was right. ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,987 Arc User
    Sweet, so the server hamster is getting a v12 engine to help it power the server
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
      talsinaar wrote: »

General:
      •Updating our server infrastructure for all Cryptic titles including Star Trek Online

... I have base understanding but what does this mean as a whole on how this will better the game, or affect it, and what things should we look for as bug issues for reporting. I know upgrading any hardware or software comes with glitches, sometimes creating them by accident, but whats to be expected with a update to the server infrastructure. does it mean your changing from 32bit to a 64bit, changing the hardware to more updated and possibly faster and cooler running HDs or SSDs, things like that. because just stating that is very vague and can leave more questions as to what really was done.

Try this link: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/server.html

As an American, I can honestly say that I myself, and I'm sure many many many other people use certain words in day to day conversations that they have picked up through their normal life experiences. Having those words floating around in yer noggin is somewhat of a good thing. The trouble is, when you picked up those certain words, you took their meaning from that one instance and paired that information up as one mental construct.

Put simply, people often use words that they do not know the actual proper definition or usage in different situations.

I am probably in the larger group of people who do this. The hard part is not asking someone what those words are about due to fear of being laughed at.

The sad part is, normally no one laughs when asked such a question and the person goes on in life never having learned what that problem word or phrase is all about.

It's damn well time we as humans change our defeat in to defeatlessness!!! Hack and slash your way to knowledge. It's the only way to fly.

Now...what in the world were we talking about?

Ah! The Link: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/server.html​​
      STAR TREK
      lD8xc9e.png
    • Options
      jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
      angrytarg wrote: »

According to patch notes, they fix nothing but the server infrastructure, so no game changes should be made.​​
      angrytarg wrote: »

I like the ship alot, but sadly i think it will just wind up using my last dry dock slot, and if or when they fix it i will use it again.
    • Options
      trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
      It would be nice if the in the Known Issues Cryptic finally acknowledged the fact that they hate a problem with AMD vid card users and they are unable to update the game to work with new drivers. Having to roll back to an older version of the driver or being forced to use dx9 to play the game is not the way to make paying customers happy. Not a single word from them on the forums. And there are a lot of threads about this problem.
      Dahar Master Qor'aS
    • Options
      sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
      6 1/2 hours!

Oh well, that potentially kills my gaming time today....
      Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
      Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
      What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
      3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
      tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
      edited January 2016
      I will just say thank you to everyone working today doing what you do in making this gaming experience better. Lets play nice and always have fresh coffee, tea, pop and juice. Best of luck to your all, see you in 8 hours (I have to work as well)

Also just remember Jimmy Johns is just a phone call away.
      Post edited by tarran61 on
      Positive thoughts.
      NeAC.gif
    • Options
      daltonimperialdaltonimperial Member Posts: 47 Arc User
      A very minor complaint: Looks like the server went down about 10 minutes earlier than scheduled (at least I am seeing the red dot and get "server unavailable at this time"), which meant I couldn't set up some long term Admirality assignments.

Again, very minor, but a little more annoying given the length of this patch.
    • Options
      maddscottmaddscott Member Posts: 149 Arc User
      A very minor complaint: Looks like the server went down about 10 minutes earlier than scheduled (at least I am seeing the red dot and get "server unavailable at this time"), which meant I couldn't set up some long term Admirality assignments.

Not here... I logged out at 7:59am CST and the server was still active.. Maybe you need to check/adjust your clocks ??
    • Options
      swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User

General:

... I have base understanding but what does this mean as a whole on how this will better the game, or affect it, and what things should we look for as bug issues for reporting.

They're alphabetizing the servers, so packets get routed faster. Also, they're rearranging the hard disks so that half spin clockwise, and half counterclockwise to reduce torque on the rack.
    • Options
      daltonimperialdaltonimperial Member Posts: 47 Arc User
      maddscott wrote: »
      A very minor complaint: Looks like the server went down about 10 minutes earlier than scheduled (at least I am seeing the red dot and get "server unavailable at this time"), which meant I couldn't set up some long term Admiralty assignments.

Not here... I logged out at 7:59am CST and the server was still active.. Maybe you need to check/adjust your clocks ??

I am rather dumb but don't think that was the problem. I was playing when the "15 minute" warning green text popped up, but the game froze when I tried to Transwarp (a common problem for me), forcing me to quit the game. When I tried to open the game 2 minutes later (:52 on my clock; I had tried to Transwarp at :49), I got the aforementioned error message. May have been something on my end anyway, and it definitely was my fault for waiting until too close to the shutdown.
    • Options
      jormunrekjormunrek Member Posts: 27 Arc User
      Maybe we'll get lucky and the romulan boff missions will mysteriously reappear in the doff missions. =)

Jorm
    • Options
      thetanine wrote: »

General:

... I have base understanding but what does this mean as a whole on how this will better the game, or affect it, and what things should we look for as bug issues for reporting. I know upgrading any hardware or software comes with glitches, sometimes creating them by accident, but what's to be expected with a update to the server infrastructure. does it mean your changing from 32bit to a 64bit, changing the hardware to more updated and possibly faster and cooler running HDs or SSDs, things like that. because just stating that is very vague and can leave more questions as to what really was done.

Try this link: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/server.html

As an American, I can honestly say that I myself, and I'm sure many many many other people use certain words in day to day conversations that they have picked up through their normal life experiences. Having those words floating around in yer noggin is somewhat of a good thing. The trouble is, when you picked up those certain words, you took their meaning from that one instance and paired that information up as one mental construct.

Put simply, people often use words that they do not know the actual proper definition or usage in different situations.

I am probably in the larger group of people who do this. The hard part is not asking someone what those words are about due to fear of being laughed at.

The sad part is, normally no one laughs when asked such a question and the person goes on in life never having learned what that problem word or phrase is all about.

It's damn well time we as humans change our defeat in to defeatlessness!!! Hack and slash your way to knowledge. It's the only way to fly.

Now...what in the world were we talking about?

Ah! The Link: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/server.html​​

Right at the moment, I want a 'Server' to bring me a bagel and a glass of OJ.

B)
    • Options
      edited January 2016
      trygvar13 wrote: »
      It would be nice if the in the Known Issues Cryptic finally acknowledged the fact that they hate a problem with AMD vid card users and they are unable to update the game to work with new drivers. Having to roll back to an older version of the driver or being forced to use dx9 to play the game is not the way to make paying customers happy. Not a single word from them on the forums. And there are a lot of threads about this problem.

???
      Wouldn't that be a problem one should consult with AMD, since they are the ones who changed the parameters of their driver software?
      I remember a while back there was a problem with a NVidia driver patch and STO.
      They (NVidia) sent out another patch shortly afterward (when folks complained) which cleared up that particular problem.
    • Options
      samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
      I too am curious about the technobable explanation of this upgrade. But I'm happy about it in any case, upgrades are always good... unless it's the Jem'Hadar shield in which case it reverts to shuttle HP. LOL
    • Options
      alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User

???
      Wouldn't that be a problem one should consult with AMD, since they are the ones who changed the parameters of their driver software?
      They (NVidia) sent out another patch shortly afterward (when folks complained) which cleared up that particular problem.

Is it why I cannot access the game anymore? Radeon Mobility HD 4000 + 7000 series...
      I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
    • Options

???

Is it why I cannot access the game anymore? Radeon Mobility HD 4000 + 7000 series...

I'm not sure what you mean by "access?

The video card driver, probably wouldn't be the reason you can't "access" (get entry into) the game.
      That would most likely be your connection through the internet to the STO servers, or a problem with your internet provider.

Your video card would only prevent the game from operating correctly, once you logged in.
      i.e. it would crash your computer to the desktop, or you'd get a complete blue screen, or you'd get a notice that a particular part of the video software won't load/can't be found and the game would freeze.
    This discussion has been closed.