test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Romulan Carrier

trwarbucktrwarbuck Member Posts: 274 Arc User
Now that the Federation and the Klingons have a true carrier, when is the Romulans going to get a true carrier? I would suggest calling it the Nest of Birds or Nharves s'dhæl (Nest of Birds in Romulan). Module the stats off of the Federation Jupiter but with the standard Romulan changes (less hull, more crew, higher turn rate, etc.). Of course it would be able to launch the Scorpian fighters or T'varo Light Warbirds. It should be a T6 starship and have the Jupiter's Universal Console (standard on all T6 Carriers). Of course the Klingon should also get a non-mirror universe T6 carrier version of the Vo'Quv.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe to simplify its construction, make it a variant of the D'deridex or Ha'apax warbirds. Of course hanger bays bulges with openings would have to be added to the ship to make it look like a carrier. Or even a Scimitar variant that cannot use the Scimitar's Universal concoles.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    Perhaps the carrier bays/flight deck portion plugs into the Kara in place of the lower hull, replacing the Ha'feh portion. That has some interesting possibilities.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Just hope its not a fat chicken with wings like most Romulan ships look like to me. Why i dont buy most Romulan ships at all. The Command and Pilot warbirds look great. So does the Dinaes Warbird Destroyer which is the best looking warbird I have ever seen and is such a joy to fly. So glad its a Lifers ship. Morrigu Heavy Warbird is sweet ship as well. A Romulan carrier should look something like the Jhu'ael Tactical Carrier Warbird but bigger. Should we get another Ha'apax looking chicken its stats will have to be really good for me. Its just not about what it can do, its about how it looks. Who buys an ugly car?
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I think something new design wise would be nice. I would like it if they would do another voting thing like they did for the feds ship.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I think something new design wise would be nice. I would like it if they would do another voting thing like they did for the feds ship.

I second that. Great idea.

Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    ^this
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Just hope its not a fat chicken with wings ... Pilot warbirds look great.

wait wut??
    OkhalaPilotWarbird.png
    looks like a raw chicken w/o drumsticks
    raw-chicken.jpg

• Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind a romulan ship that for once doesn't look like a bird.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    I think an enlarged hybrid of the Jhu'ael Tactical Carrier Warbird and the Dinaes Warbird Destroyer might be interesting. The hanger bays would be in between the double wing of the Jhu'ael; one on each side. Both bays would be a through-deck design with the launch deck towards the front of the ship and the landing deck on the rear section.
    Personally, I think the design should be the standard bird-design, but I think the wings instead of pointing downward, they should be swept upward and forward of the hull like the Baratan and Deihu Command Battlecruiser wings. Of course the ship should be massive in size, almost larger than the Scimitar. I think a 3 engineering, 4 science and 3 tactical console layout would be an excellent layout with the Fleet variant receiving an extra engineering console. It should have the same Bridge Officer layout that the Federation carrier has. I wouldn't give it a four forward weapon and two aft weapon layout, I would keep it a three /three weapon layout with four device slots and two hanger bay slots.
    As I mentioned before, it should have the ability for carrying either Scorpion fighters or T'varo Light Warbirds.
    I really like the Nharves s'Dhæl (Nest of Birds) - class Warbird Carrier name. I can just see twelve Scorpion fighters or four T'varo Light Warbirds coming at a target and your captain having the tier 5 skills from the Breen Carrier (T6), Jhu'ael Tactical Carrier (T6) and the WIng Commander trait to boost the abilities of the hanger pets. Of course teh Federation Jupiter-class Carrier's T5 trait would also be given.
    This ship along with a new Klingon T6 Carrier and the Federation Jupiter could be sold in a three ship pack.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    well considering we're re-visiting an existing topic I'll just link a previous topic on expanding the Republic Navy
  • Options
    tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    A Romulan ship that doesn't look like a bird......? Surely you're joking? It sort of their schtick. Just like the Federation's schtick is spoons equipped with bipods.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Being able to equip the Romulan Drones that the Scimitar gets to use would be my preferred frigate choice. I know that frigates are usually exclusive to the ship they were first released with, but Xindi-Mobulai Frigates from the Xindi-Aquatic Narcine can be equipped on the Xindi-Primate Ateleth, so there is some precedence on cross allowing frigates.

For model, I think a D'Deridex frame with hangars added to the usually empty space would be cool.
  • Options
    tolmarius wrote: »
    A Romulan ship that doesn't look like a bird......? Surely you're joking? It sort of their schtick. Just like the Federation's schtick is spoons equipped with bipods.

Right? Next maybe we can make a perfectly symmetrical Breen ship.

Anywyas, it should not be as big as the Scimitar, that thing is like a flying starbase with wings. I would say something around the same size as the Kara, and I still say we should/need to get to vote on designs.
  • Options
    well considering we're re-visiting an existing topic I'll just link a previous topic on expanding the Republic Navy

I remember that thread, a good thread, good ideas, now if Cryptic will just do something other than make another 7 (2 of them science ships, because they don't have any, right?) ships for the Feds before doing one of them.
  • Options
    I think the remodeled D'deridex with hangers in the void space is the way to go. Or a remodel of the Scimitar into a "true" carrier minus two of its forward weapons. The reason for the lose of two of the forward weapons would be that the space was required for the pilot's berthing, ready rooms and hanger space. Of course this ship would lose the standard Scimitar universal consoles for the same console that is on the Federation Jupiter carrier.
    The Klingon CV would be the Vo'Qov T6. The Klingons of this dimension liked the Vo'Qov, so they designed their own version of the design. Same universal console that the Federation Jupiter carrier has.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    first a sci ship. If that happens to be a carrier (if it also has a 2nd deflector..) so be it.
    We can get t6 cross faction carriers. There isnt an acceptable cross faction t6 sci yet.
  • Options
    noroblad wrote: »
    first a sci ship. If that happens to be a carrier (if it also has a 2nd deflector..) so be it.
    We can get t6 cross faction carriers. There isnt an acceptable cross faction t6 sci yet.

I would definitely prefer getting a Science ship over anything else, a true, full science ship.

I also feel at this point in the game they should drop the fleet module cost on non c-store ships from older tiers to 1 instead of 4. I am not ever going to buy 4 fleet modules to get a fleet ha'nom, but if it cost 1, I would do it, at least then I there would be something to use that is able to be upgraded to T5-U at a reasonable cost, and an actual science ship that may actually be almost useful in end game content.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    They could always go with another games idea for the Romulan carrier. Which can be found at this link. Of course this concept is the Task Force Games idea of of a Romulan patrolship tender. http://dhost.info/phoenix/scrnsht/orcv.jpg
    Or this idea, which is someones concept of the D'deridex with bays inside the void space between the wings. http://dhost.info/phoenix/scrnsht/katar01.jpg
  • Options
    trwarbuck wrote: »
    They could always go with another games idea for the Romulan carrier. Which can be found at this link. Of course this concept is the Task Force Games idea of of a Romulan patrolship tender. http://dhost.info/phoenix/scrnsht/orcv.jpg
    Or this idea, which is someones concept of the D'deridex with bays inside the void space between the wings. http://dhost.info/phoenix/scrnsht/katar01.jpg

Neither of those links work.
  • Options
    trwarbuck wrote: »
    Error 403
    Forbidden
    It is not allwoed to view the requested file / site. This can have various reasons:
    you are trying to get files from external websites, this includes archives, images or executables
    someone doesnt like hot-linking.... and other games is the height of 'never happen' because of the legal TRIBBLE involved
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Well since we are talking about a carrier for Romulans it won't be a sci-carrier but a tactical carrier, and yes it will have a battle cloak. Since this will be a capital class ship, the D'deridex, Mogi-Norexan or Kerchan class should be considered.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    Well since we are talking about a carrier for Romulans it won't be a sci-carrier but a tactical carrier, and yes it will have a battle cloak. Since this will be a capital class ship, the D'deridex, Mogi-Norexan or Kerchan class should be considered.

Kerchankerchankerchankerchan!!!! <3
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    bltrrn wrote: »

*hands a tissue over* gotta get that sneeze under control
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    bltrrn wrote: »

*hands a tissue over* gotta get that sneeze under control

The Kerchan class Warbird is so awesome, that I can't help but sneeze. :D
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    Current game mechanics prohibit use of Carrier Commands while Cloaked. That tends to imply a certain ... problem ... for implementing a "must have cloaking devices on EVERYTHING" faction when it comes to Carrier implementation.

Personally, I say just repurpose the D'deridex and fill in the central section with a vertical "wall" that houses all of the fighter/shuttlecraft facilities. Just make it narrow, tall and run the length of the ship. Fighters approach the landing bays from astern by matching course heading with the carrier ship, and the launch bays are behind the "head" of the ship and launch the fighters at a 30 degree oblique angle forward so as to clear the bow. The whole assembly is a "drop in module" intended to be fitted into the hollow center space of the D'deridex ... which then implies that the D'deridex class could mount other types of modules into that vast empty space so as to reconfigure the ship for a variety of different roles.

Need a troop transport? Put the barracks modules into the empty space in the D'deridex.
    Need to evacuate a colony, or transport an unfairly large quantity of supplies somewhere? Insert the cargo modules into the empty space in the D'deridex.
    Need a carrier? Put the fighter support modules into the empty space in the D'deridex.

For my own personal headcanon, I prefer to think of the D'deridex as seen in TNG and STO as being "unfinished" in the sense that it doesn't have a mission module loaded in the empty space in the center of the ship.
  • Options
    I always treated it kinda modular in my head canon as well, like the littoral combat ship class in the modern navy... but not to fill in that gaping empty space... That was a design choice, and one I kinda liked but not at the same time. But consdiering during the Dominion War... the ONLY Romulan ship we see in that huge TRIBBLE armada... or any combat scenes... was the D'derp, I kinda figured it HAD to be internally configurable. A proper navy just cannot win with a single "osfa" class of vessel
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    Current game mechanics prohibit use of Carrier Commands while Cloaked. That tends to imply a certain ... problem ... for implementing a "must have cloaking devices on EVERYTHING" faction when it comes to Carrier implementation.

Carrier commands seem to work just fine for me on the Scimitar and Ar'kif when cloaked, only thing I can't do is fresh launches.