test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

AMD crimson driver - Client crashing

Comments

• Options
    amavaramavar Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Couldn't get past the splash screen so I rolled back to 15.7.1 Too bad, worked very well for WoT and LOTRO
  • Options
    zarindaizarindai Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I regularly play Mechwarriors Online, SW Tor and FFXIV without having any problem with these drives...only game that kicks me in the g***n with these drivers are STO. Same goes with any other non online game I tested from Fallout 4, Dragon Age Inquisition or Elite Dangerous thus I can only conclude its STO itself that cant handle these drivers.
  • Options
    falashfalash Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »
    I just updated to the newest amd driver that was released today. Now the client crashes when anything to do with graphics settings is touched. I originally started up the game with VSR on which (i thought) caused it to crash before loading. Turned it off, but resulted in the same crash. Started the game up in safe mode, did fine. Restarted the game without safe mode, loaded up but now all my graphic settings are turned to the lowest. Every time I try to touch a graphic setting ingame now the client crashes.

I had this issue, i found out that the bloom setting was to blame, had to set everything manualy and leave bloom off
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,804 Arc User
    I have tested all of the graphical options with this driver and the only one that causes a crash for me is, Soft Particles. Once I enable this, the game crashes and will not load until I select Safe Mode int he launcher options. I can max every other setting with ease in this game and I can enable Osft Particles under the previous driver as well, but not with this one.
  • Options
    olievlekjeolievlekje Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    olievlekje wrote: »
    chilleule wrote: »
    same issue here, rolled back to catalyst beta 15.11.1, because i didn't want to loose any of my grapic settings.
    don't forget though, that crimson drivers are also still a BETA version.
    i wouldn't blame cryptic for not supporting a beta version :)

They feel like beta but they are not, its now the official current version

Chilleule is correct, a hotfix was pushed out on 30/11, so the version is currently beta.

nope its the offical version and MS WHQL qualified that they already found some nasty fan bugs doesn't make it beta.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64
  • Options
    chilleulechilleule Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    same issue here, rolled back to catalyst beta 15.11.1, because i didn't want to loose any of my grapic settings.
    don't forget though, that crimson drivers are also still a BETA version.
    i wouldn't blame cryptic for not supporting a beta version :)

They feel like beta but they are not, its now the official current version

Chilleule is correct, a hotfix was pushed out on 30/11, so the version is currently beta.

nope its the offical version and MS WHQL qualified that they already found some nasty fan bugs doesn't make it beta.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

i might got confused, because i download my drivers on guru3d.com and they said clearly "beta" and do so now.
    dunno... anyone can clearify that? perhaps cryptic itself??
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Well after today's patch I am still getting GameClient.exe CTD on map transfers and cannot run higher than medium graphics setting. Seems Cryptic and AMD need to have a good long chat.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Seems its a different setting for different people/setups. Strange. I guess I'm still waiting.
  • Options
  • Options
    any word on this?
  • Options
    any word on this?

Sadly, no! Honestly, expect a new driver release from AMD long before PWE even bothers to take a look at this issue. This isn't the first and won't be the last time STO's prehistoric engine has been an issue with AMD drivers. When the original Devidian series was released, there was a major issue with enabling Dynamic Lighting that would cause consistent crashing! That issue took months to sort out.
  • Options
    cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Since the AMD crimson driver issue is still not fixed as of 12/12/15, I guess it's time to take an extended STO break ... hopefully this issue gets addressed sooner than later ...
    Post edited by cryptiecop on
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    If it wasn't for wanting the new breen ship right now, i'd be ditching sto till they fix it. I feel a bit trapped.
  • Options
    talsinaartalsinaar Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    ok I wanna say I am also having issues with option changing crashing my game. also I cannot reduce or minimize the game with alt + tab anymore while in full screen, bloom setting to high crashes the game, using the slider for graphics crashes the game, also antialiasing changes crash the game. I kinda like had all my settings higher or maxed with my tower I bought off a friend of mine. since crimson update its been a so so update. only feature I do understand and like is the virtual resolution thing. which allows you to access higher resolutions. I have been told that I should try rollbacking my drivers, but in windows 10 I dare not incase that screws up more then just STO. still learning windows 10 dos and donts. but theres my issues with STO and the crimson update. also will post this in other sticky link. hope they fix soon. I kinda like antialiasing now that I have a RIG to handle it. though not sure what bloom really is good for. but I need the other.

update something I did fixed sto options for me I did some uninstall but crimson stayed, and I got to move my options around, however when it updated the catylst driver it started the TRIBBLE all over. if cant get it with the beta which was released the 11/30/15 I will not mess and deal. til a fix is done. but I would like my mssa anti aliasing back please. I finally get a tower that supports it nicely and a driver messes it up. ugh.

always said if I knew coding I would absentmindedly create a AI bent on whatever warped reality it thinks of. lol
    Post edited by talsinaar on
  • Options
    ulithiumdragonulithiumdragon Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    [Copy of the post I made on the AMD thread linked above]:

Same issue, haven't tried manually editing the settings files outside of the game yet, but I did a complete cleanse and reinstallation of the game (including rooting out ALL my user files, and the other stuff installations ALWAYS leave behind, e.g. registry keys).

So we can assume this means that even the default graphical settings for the game are causing CTD's with the new driver...

AMD Radeon 7900 Series
    3gb vRAM
    Core Clock Memory 1250 MHz

Rest of my system's specs:

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (installed onto a 1tb SSD)
    Processor: Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz Quad Core Dual-Multithreaded
    System Memory: 16gb Dual DDR3 RAM
    Motherboard: Gateway FX6850

Would be nice if this issue could be fixed on either your (Cryptic)'s end or on AMD's.
    I will try the mentioned out of game setting file edits for now...
  • Options
    My system specs that matter are:

i7 4770k
    16GB (2 X 8GB) G. Skill PC3-2400 C10
    Z87 GD65 Gaming
    AMD Radeon 7950 3GB
    2x 240GB OCZ Radeon SSD's in a dual boot, Win 8.1 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

In Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using the Crimson drivers, STO has the issues mentioned in this thread. If I roll back the drivers to the August beta in either or both OS's, the issues are gone and I can run the game on maximum settings at 2560X1080.
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    > @jcsww said:
    > scarling wrote: »
    >
    > any word on this?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sadly, no! Honestly, expect a new driver release from AMD long before PWE even bothers to take a look at this issue. This isn't the first and won't be the last time STO's prehistoric engine has been an issue with AMD drivers. When the original Devidian series was released, there was a major issue with enabling Dynamic Lighting that would cause consistent crashing! That issue took months to sort out.

I agree. Even before this Crimson issue, I have noticed that several maps are getting less than 10 FPS, since season 10.5. And this is effecting only those that use AMD/ATI cards. I have never had a problem with nVidia cards.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    > @jcsww said:
    >
    > any word on this?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sadly, no! Honestly, expect a new driver release from AMD long before PWE even bothers to take a look at this issue. This isn't the first and won't be the last time STO's prehistoric engine has been an issue with AMD drivers. When the original Devidian series was released, there was a major issue with enabling Dynamic Lighting that would cause consistent crashing! That issue took months to sort out.

I agree. Even before this Crimson issue, I have noticed that several maps are getting less than 10 FPS, since season 10.5. And this is effecting only those that use AMD/ATI cards. I have never had a problem with nVidia cards.

Star Trek Online carries the nVidia logo, the way it's meant to be played. Because of that, I am going to assume there is some favoritism towards providing the best experience for nVidia card owners. With all of the consoles out there along with a much better bang for your buck. AMD cards are not uncommon by any means and should not be a second class experience in any game.
  • Options
    jcsww wrote: »
    > @jcsww said:
    >
    > any word on this?
    >
    >
    >
    >

Star Trek Online carries the nVidia logo, the way it's meant to be played. Because of that, I am going to assume there is some favoritism towards providing the best experience for nVidia card owners. With all of the consoles out there along with a much better bang for your buck. AMD cards are not uncommon by any means and should not be a second class experience in any game.

There really shouldn't be any favoritism. Even the most popular games that carry the nvidia logo have proper amd support. Like you said about consoles, amd owns that market completely now. Hell we wouldn't even have DX12 if it wasn't for amd's mantle. AMD has jumped leap and bounds since the ATI days. Its arguably what everything is meant to played on these days. So I'm doubting favoritism, as no one is going to go out and buy an expensive nvidia card to just play a free to play mmo.
  • Options
    jaime7465jaime7465 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I also am having issues with Crimson, attemped to "roll back" to my previous Catalyst drivers but no joy there, kept updating to the newest Crimson drivers, will be attempting safe mode after I complete the patching (I turned off on demand patching to force the entire game to update) and will attempt to login that way, my crash usually happens at the "Star Trek New Dawn" load screen when first starting the game
  • Options
    jcsww wrote: »
    > @jcsww said:
    >
    > any word on this?
    >
    >
    >
    >

There really shouldn't be any favoritism. Even the most popular games that carry the nvidia logo have proper amd support. Like you said about consoles, amd owns that market completely now. Hell we wouldn't even have DX12 if it wasn't for amd's mantle. AMD has jumped leap and bounds since the ATI days. Its arguably what everything is meant to played on these days. So I'm doubting favoritism, as no one is going to go out and buy an expensive nvidia card to just play a free to play mmo.

Maybe saying nVidia's experience is a priority verses favoritism is a better choice of words.
  • Options
    I just dont see any reason why they would prioritize nvidia, or why that would have anything to do with the recent amd issues. I'm not having any problems with this driver on all of the other games I have tried with it. It just wouldn't make sense to alienate half of the customer base and leave them with issues. I'd be more inclined to believe they have no idea how to fix it.
  • Options
    dev1961dev1961 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    this has been going on for a long time. when amd has new driver or when sto has new season amd cards have issues.same here, all games fine except sto. <r9 270
  • Options
    I just dont see any reason why they would prioritize nvidia, or why that would have anything to do with the recent amd issues. I'm not having any problems with this driver on all of the other games I have tried with it. It just wouldn't make sense to alienate half of the customer base and leave them with issues. I'd be more inclined to believe they have no idea how to fix it.

The nVidia logo tied to this game is why I think nVidia issues would get priority over AMD issues. I don't think that has anything to do with why the issues happened, but I do think that is why they haven't bothered to fix them yet. If they were interested in resolving the issue. The dev team should be posting in this thread and asking for whatever they need from the players to help identify this issue so it can be resolved.

Yes, this is a different team than the old Cryptic days when they allowed the issues with AMD graphics hardware and the Devidian mission to go on for... 3 months at least. Personally, I don't want to see this issue go on for 3 months before they even start to acknowledge the issue and start asking the players for help in fixing it. STO is the only game I still play that doesn't play properly with the new Crimson drivers and that does make me not want to bother logging in at all until it is fixed. If things aren't fixed by the time I have the 1,000 ship voucher things for the Breen ship, then I won't be logging in until they fix it!

I have posted a link to this thread in another thread and tagged @pwlaughingtrendy in the same post a couple of weeks back. Still absolutely no acknowledgement from anyone on the dev team that they are aware of the issue and that they are working to resolve it. Is that really too much to ask?!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    There is a new Crimson driver that was released today! I have yet to try it out but here is the link to the release notes for everyone. Hopefully this driver works better with STO than the previous, but please post your feedback regardless but there is no mention of an issue with Star Trek Online in their known issues and wasn't for the previous version either.
  • Options
    perjiperji Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    If someone tried the new drivers please post the results.
    I had to revert back to 15.7 drivers because STO was crashing at the loading screen (the one that says Cryptic with a white bar below).
  • Options
    chilleulechilleule Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    according to the guru3d forums this new crimson drivers has just 2 changes:
    - Radeon Settings driver update check is not available for minor driver versions
    - System has higher idle power usage on Windows® 7 when running with Radeon Settings

and
    Yup, the 15.12 Crimson Installer comes with the same display driver that was in 15.11.1, unfortunately.

so, i doubt there will be much improvement. but please feel free to show me that im wrong :)
  • Options
    staticmousestaticmouse Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    according to the guru3d forums this new crimson drivers has just 2 changes:
    - Radeon Settings driver update check is not available for minor driver versions
    - System has higher idle power usage on Windows® 7 when running with Radeon Settings

and
    Yup, the 15.12 Crimson Installer comes with the same display driver that was in 15.11.1, unfortunately.

so, i doubt there will be much improvement. but please feel free to show me that im wrong :)

Still broken! :-(
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Yep, still broken. In fact, since season 10.5 launched and I have been using a Radeon card, I have been experiencing major FPS lag on several main maps in STO. For example..Risa, New Romulus Command, several Delta Quadrant patrol maps, The New Link episode ground portion and ESD. I am talking about going from 60+ FPS in most maps, in combat or not down to around 4-10 FPS on the maps listed above.

I never have this problem using Nvidia cards. my current card is a Radeon R9 280X. Near top of the line and much, much more than this game needs, yet experiencing immersion killing FPS. Wish the dev's would acknowledge their is a problem with their coding :( They seem to favor nvidia...oh well
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    killer874killer874 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I may have lost an answer similar to mine but my solution was to downgrade from 15.12 crimson to 15.11.1 beta crimson drivers and the problem solved. I will wait until they may fix that i have created a post in AMD forum about it anyway.