test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this a Bug? Fast & Flurrious flags missing?

Before I report it as a bug, I figured I'd post here asking if anyone else has heard of this or has an explanation for this.

I do really well at the PVP race. I finish 1st-3rd most of the time, and even when I am 4th or lower, I am right there with the group that finishes ahead of me. I enjoy the challenge of making every move, every jump, etc, without TRIBBLE up and going out of bounds or getting caught on scenery. Some people will laugh and say that's dumb - and that's cool. :)

What I've noticed happening with strange regularity is this. I'll get a good lead in some races, watching for anyone to pass me (like most people do) as I race around each turn, hit the jump and go through the last couple turns. In some races - probably 10-20% of the ones I race in, when I round the final turn in the lead, a 1st Place flag does NOT populate. Instead, the 2nd Place flag is already showing/glowing, as if someone had somehow passed me without being seen, and hitting the final straightaway and nabbing the 1st Place flag and leaving the area without anyone seeing them.

I am not accusing -anyone- of cheating/hacking. I am just curious - is this a known bug? I did a quick search through the forums and didn't see anything about it (I could have just missed it), but I am genuinely curious. Yes, I have the gear/reps, no, I don't do 'bunny hopping' (because it doesn't work for me for some reason). But I've beat plenty of hoppers (they could just be bad ones, I suppose, or I am just lucky). But for someone to zoom by me without being seen at all, and reaching the end/snagging the flag/disappearing before I even get to the last turn seems incredibly unlikely.

Any thoughts/ideas/info would be awesome. :)

Thanks!

-Tim

Comments

• Options
    oktoberfest2dispoktoberfest2disp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Hypothesis #1: Gophers. Varmints pull that sucker straight through the ground.

Hypothesis #2: It's the first instance of something going wrong at a Q-hosted activity.

Mirror, Mirror warns against a future where a Terran Empire ravages the galaxy led by the ISS Enterprise.
    In the 2000s, the biggest space station we build is called the ISS.
    I am concerned.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    it happened to me too twice and sometimes the second race wont start the countdown just get to the other event
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    There have been people who have found a bug that allows someone to start the race, then I guess the best word, is teleport to the first place flag. Where they grab it and are gone before anyone reaches the first turn even. If I knew how that was done I would be reporting that to the devs, and bug hunters.

My guess is that is what happened.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    There have been people who have found a bug that allows someone to start the race, then I guess the best word, is teleport to the first place flag. Where they grab it and are gone before anyone reaches the first turn even. If I knew how that was done I would be reporting that to the devs, and bug hunters.

My guess is that is what happened.

What the OP described happened to me today and what was said in the quote about the bug allowing someone to get the flag that isn't really racing made me remember something. Last winter event I ran was 2 years ago (I had quit because of DR). There was a bug that people were exploiting to start the race from somewhere else then stroll over to the flag and get it within seconds of the race starting. They did fix it, that is if I am remembering correctly. I'm guessing they either didn't get all of it or it was un-fixed by something else.
  • Options
    bulvynebulvyne Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Thanks for the comments, folks. I run on average from 10-15 races each day, and I've seen this happen at least 6 times that I recall.

Both the 'invisibility' issue, and the 'teleport' issue sound reasonable, especially if some of you recall a similar 'teleporting' issue from seasons past.

I am not saying that I am 'good' at the race, but I'm regularly with the leaders and to think that someone was -that- far ahead of us that they got the 1st flag and disappeared before we came around the last turn just seems wild. Still possible, of course, some people are REALLY good at the race and have all the gear/traits/skills to do it super-quick.

Thanks again for the replies. :)
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Same thing, earlier this week, in the 2nd race. I wonder if someone's not finished the 1st race, then just hangs around for the 2nd?
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    Been seeing it happen as well. Thought I was going crazy for a moment there.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I'm sure the teleport bug is still present as there was some mention of it in a zone chat the other day when I was on. Something about finishing before everyone else got to the first corner or the jump.
    I can't see how anyone could get such a lead without some massive exploit.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    A friend of mine told us on Team speak that he was in a race and a guy at the starting line told everybody in zone chat I'll see you at the finish line. race started and he disappeared then when they turned the corner on the last turn, there he was jumping up and down at the first place flag waiting for everyone. so it does appear that the bug is back.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    A friend of mine told us on Team speak that he was in a race and a guy at the starting line told everybody in zone chat I'll see you at the finish line. race started and he disappeared then when they turned the corner on the last turn, there he was jumping up and down at the first place flag waiting for everyone. so it does appear that the bug is back.
    Yeah, but that particular case did not have the jumping guy actually grab a flag did it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    bulvyne wrote: »
    Both the 'invisibility' issue, and the 'teleport' issue sound reasonable, especially if some of you recall a similar 'teleporting' issue from seasons past.

'Invisibility' isn't resonable version because I'm very fast at the PvP race but I had the issue with the 1st place flag 3 times yesterday and 1 time today. I do 20-25 races per day.
    angrybobh wrote: »
    They did fix it, that is if I am remembering correctly.
    I don't see a fix of it in the previous patch notes, I think they just ignored that bug as many other bugs.
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    I remember a bug where you joined the PvP race in one instance, then jumped to another and went straight to the finish line. Because of the instance change you didn't get disqualified for leaving the race area, then immediately after the race start you just grabbed the 1st place flag. But I believe this bug has been smashed long ago.
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I saw a bunny hopper last night. Mind you, I don't mean that he was using the jump technique rather than the roll. This was very much like the old bunny hop that was used in Quake series engines; he was jumping continuously. That guy was moving twice as fast as the leaders of the pack, and just walked away from the rest of us.

Honestly, what does it really matter? The only prize is just those silly epohh tags, and you can't use more than 6 of them every 20 hours, so who really cares? All you need to do is finish three times and you're golden. I suppose it's an epeen thing...
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    That's it exactly. I run the race expecting to only get the two tags. That's if I can stay inbounds. Those bounds are quite tight in the PvP race so it's easy to step out even if you're trying to stay in the center.

Not complaining, mind you, but I have been DQ'd for barely stepping/sliding into the snow on the side of the track sometimes. I just jog back up and try again, or wait for next races to come around if it happens in second race.

However, even if I knew exactly how the exploit works, I wouldn't use it. Like chastity said, the only prize is the epohh tags-no ornaments like you would get on Risa, where you get a few lolnuts even for finishing.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Honestly, what does it really matter? The only prize is just those silly epohh tags, and you can't use more than 6 of them every 20 hours, so who really cares? All you need to do is finish three times and you're golden. I suppose it's an epeen thing...

Don't tell us how bad the winter epohh tags are. Better tell us how you use the bug.
    I remember a bug where you joined the PvP race in one instance, then jumped to another and went straight to the finish line. Because of the instance change you didn't get disqualified for leaving the race area, then immediately after the race start you just grabbed the 1st place flag. But I believe this bug has been smashed long ago.

I just tested it, and this doesn't work.

• Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    It just happened to me. I came out on the final leg as third. First guy grabbed second flag second guy missed it. He went for second flag, but ..., I saw it all and went for third flag right away. A couple of days ago I was first, but never saw the first placed flag.

Yeah, what does it matter, it is just a game. Let's say that about other game mechanics working as intended or not. The forums will get flooded with crying.

I have to say, I use the reputation speed boost, but I would not mind if all those buffs wouldn't work. Everybody the same speed. In that form it is one of the best PvP there is.

Anyway I can state is as official, there is a bug and there are cheaters among us. What's new?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I saw a bunny hopper last night. Mind you, I don't mean that he was using the jump technique rather than the roll. This was very much like the old bunny hop that was used in Quake series engines; he was jumping continuously. That guy was moving twice as fast as the leaders of the pack, and just walked away from the rest of us.

Yeah, but you can at least see the green-blur folks, or the hoppers, or the every-trait-in-existance dudes.. run ahead and leave you behind.

Today, I got to the race start before it began, Joined when it became available, etc. I looked around periodically, to see who/how many people were there. It was just me, and two others. Race starts, I get a good lead, turn the final corner - and all the way down there at the finish, there's a 2nd flag. No one to be seen. And after I grabbed it, I waited and watched the other two folks who'd started with me get there and finish as well. So neither of them had somehow gotten past.

Well, it's a bit of an issue for alts. If you want enough tags to keep epohh missions going on several characters, doing three races for 2 each time, kind of sucks. (And those "silly epohh tags" are how I get marks on my alts who I'd never inflict on others in an STF.... Winter isn't quite as easy as Summer, but I do have four characters running those Epohh jobs)
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Actually, @markhawkman , the guy I saw jumping around at the end after telling us he'd meet us there grabbed the 2nd place flag after letting another have 1st, leaving me confused and not placing at all.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock