test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Tholians

Are they spider people? Are they crab people? Are they crystalline people? Are they hot lava people? What are they?
klingon-bridge.jpg

Comments

• tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    sto.gamepedia.com/Tholian

They are what listed here, hope it helps.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    1576_porqueo.jpg
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    They're chickens, I tell you! Giant CHICKENS!
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I wish I could have one as a Bridge Officer.​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    The Tholian web and silk scarves kinda has me thinking...are they arachnids? But then...not entirely.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    The Tholian web and silk scarves kinda has me thinking...are they arachnids? But then...not entirely.
    they're a silicon based life form that looks vaguely spider-like. We don't even know if Tholian silk is their equivalent of Wool or Cotton.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    They are crystalline in nature, they're not Crabs, and they're not Spiders, although it wouldn't surprise me if they had some sort of hive mentality, especially if their existence spans across to multiple parallel universes. In truth, they've not been explained all that much, and alike the Breen, are shrouded in much mystery.

Maybe this new Trek show will further elaborate on them, though I wouldn't hold my breath.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Well...no one really knows...but the devs have chosen to go with a Spider theme judging by the names of their ships.
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Well...no one really knows...but the devs have chosen to go with a Spider theme judging by the names of their ships.

Well, their ships do weave webs of energy, it wasn't seen in TNG or post TNG, but they did do that in TOS.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    They make great Sauna furniture ! *

* Don't worry, I'm obviously not supporting the Tholian economy. My crew makes the furniture out of Tholians.... o:)
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    kontarnus wrote: »

Well, their ships do weave webs of energy, it wasn't seen in TNG or post TNG, but they did do that in TOS.

And in Enterprise
    The Mirror Universe episodes.

• captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    Given Tholian awareness of time and space, what would happen if an El-Aurian, or The Traveler encounters one?
    captz1pp wrote: »
    Given Tholian awareness of time and space, what would happen if an El-Aurian, or The Traveler encounters one?

Is there anything really truly special to them besides having very long life spans compared to other humanoids?
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    El-Aurians can sense timeline changes, like in TNG, when the Enterprise-C appeared. Aside from the Tholian bit i mentioned, they likely will have something to do with the Temporal Cold War, even if its only in the form of a species wide migraine.
    El-Aurians can sense timeline changes, like in TNG, when the Enterprise-C appeared. Aside from the Tholian bit i mentioned, they likely will have something to do with the Temporal Cold War, even if its only in the form of a species wide migraine.

Yeah I just remembered that...I don't know how it would really affect Tholians though.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Yeah I just remembered that...I don't know how it would really affect Tholians though.

Don't think it would at all, it's just an El Aurian ability to get the jitters.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    They appear to be based on spiders since they have 8 limbs and weave silk, meanwhile crabs are decapods, meaning they have 10 limbs.

Tholian are apparently not 100% crystalline, as mentioned in "in a mirror darkly" they hace a circulatory system, so it's likely they are like arthropods, crystalline exoskeleton-soft interior.
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    <Spam is irrelevant - Removed>
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    bioixi wrote: »
    They appear to be based on spiders since they have 8 limbs and weave silk, meanwhile crabs are decapods, meaning they have 10 limbs.

Tholian are apparently not 100% crystalline, as mentioned in "in a mirror darkly" they hace a circulatory system, so it's likely they are like arthropods, crystalline exoskeleton-soft interior.

Yes, they have a crystalline exoskeleton and all the "squishy" bits on the inside. They are as much spiders as we are apes. Though, they are silicon based instead of carbon based like us. Also, just to be crystal clear, for all we know "Tholian silk" might be made from Tholians as much as an "American Hamburger" is made from actual Americans.

They have been involved with the Temperal Cold War, but we don't really know whose side they are actually on and what their goals are (there was a side helping Archer and the Enterprise, a side with the Suliban, and a seeming third side with the Tholians). They might even be on their own side, with the future tholians communicating with past Tholians, or they might even just be naturally aware of all these temporal shenanigans that are going on.

T

• bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    veryth12 wrote: »

Yes, they have a crystalline exoskeleton and all the "squishy" bits on the inside. They are as much spiders as we are apes. Though, they are silicon based instead of carbon based like us. Also, just to be crystal clear, for all we know "Tholian silk" might be made from Tholians as much as an "American Hamburger" is made from actual Americans.

They have been involved with the Temperal Cold War, but we don't really know whose side they are actually on and what their goals are (there was a side helping Archer and the Enterprise, a side with the Suliban, and a seeming third side with the Tholians). They might even be on their own side, with the future tholians communicating with past Tholians, or they might even just be naturally aware of all these temporal shenanigans that are going on.

T

They do shoot their silk at you in-game and we are apes.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    veryth12 wrote: »

4 actually. There was also the Na'kuhl.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Tholian

Society and culture:
    According to the non-canon Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual, "the Tholians are members of a hive culture and possess a hive mind," and have a caste society – those depicted on the show are members of the warrior caste.

They're bees!
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Yeah outside being crystalline based, and having a quite arachnid-like look, while also having a hive-mind an caste based society. I would love to see them alongside alot of other things being gone into an developed like the great psionic war of the past, as well as other interesting races we have very little info on like the Titans that created Armus or the wormhole alien (an their related groups). Also i would not mind to see the Bynar from TGN in game, and more looking into V'ger as well as the race that supposed to have found Voyager an created V'ger from/around it.

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User

They wear a disguise, to look like human guys...​​

I don't see it. That's pure Tholian.

tumblr_inline_moajm9bfdt1qz4rgp.png

• asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »

They wear a disguise, to look like human guys...​​

I don't see it. That's pure Tholian.

tumblr_inline_moajm9bfdt1qz4rgp.png

What are you talking about that is my cousin Chuck from down south, he works for a KFC down there.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    They're what the Breen look like in their suits.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    No matter what, they are the perfect computer game species. In a real universe such a species could never evolve. When doing Nukura ground, I always feel more cleaning an insects nest than fighting an alien species.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I have absolutely no clue as to what they are. It was clear from the 60’s show already that they are as not-humanoid as one can imagine. In a way they are more alien than the Borg, Unide and probably even Ionians combined.

Their interdimensional activities place them almost close to the non- corporeal wormhoelaliens which live without time. I take it that putting them on screen was particularly hard because of lack of CGI but later on in the last season of enterprise they made a cool appearance.

I absolutely love it when story tellers try to fit stuff together like Enterprise did back then and now, with the first few episodes of the new arc, STO seems to go in that direction as well.

Depending how the STO team handles it they could be the most interesting adversary we ever had.

I don’t know who or what they are but would love to find out. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated