Options

Winter event ships: last chance please

Comments

• Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    tempus64 wrote: »
    risian4 wrote: »
    Even adding them to the Lobi, Dilithium, C- or fleet stores would be better than permanently and entirely removing them.

Based on the way things currently are, you can purchase the new event ships for Lobi via buying the voucher packages. Cost, probably around 1250 Lobi. To get 1250 Lobi requires opening about 250 lockboxes which means you'd have to buy keys to a total of 28,125 Zen.

So, are you willing to spend those sorts of numbers in order to get those ships? If not, then I don't think it's really right to be wanting Cryptic to offer that method of picking up the older ships.

Having only been playing the game for a few months, it really ticks me off that I don't have a way to get some of those ships if I wanted them. I'd be happy if there was some alternate "grind" I could do that would allow me to be able to get them. It could just be something like a 2 week event at least a couple times a year where we could work towards those sorts of things. Not long enough to finish them or interfere with other big events but enough that we could maybe complete 1 ship doing 2 of the events.

You do know that you can get keys for EC from exchange...right? So you can get those lobi without spending one single zen of your own.

Someone paid Zen for those keys. With keys at around 4.5m, it would cost 1.125b EC to get enough. I know long time hardcore players (or those that were able to take advantage of certain... ummm... "events" shall we say, to make large amounts of EC/dil in a very short period of time) like to say it's so easy to pile up billions of EC, but for the majority of players in this game it's not easy. Regardless, you missed the entire point.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    though I hate to be negative it seems to me judging from the posts I have seen many players were here last year and played the event with multiple characters.

for players who had 3 or more characters as you could (if I remember correctly) slot the 3 breen ships, the Plesh Brek - the Chel Grett - the Sarr Theln one of each of your first 3 character fill the three projects with 1000 tokens each by doing the event race each day with all 3 characters and then get the extra 2 ships for each character by doing the projects for those ships at the reduced price of only 40 tokens each and on any extra character over the first 3 all three ships for 40 tokens each by completing all 3 reduced price projects on each extra character that you wanted them for.

so basically a player with 3 or more characters could have easily got all 3 ships for every character they had in the one event.
    now of course anyone who had done this would be able to claim all of these ships on any characters they might have created after the event ended.

I have just confirmed this is correct here>
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9008423-q's-winter-wonderland-carrier

quote from the web page:- "Once an Event Starship is obtained by any character on your account, the cost of obtaining additional copies of that same Event Starship is reduced for all other characters on your account! In the case of the Breen Winter Event vessel, instead of requiring 1000 Autographs, additional starships for your other character will only require 40 Autographs before the project can be completed."

so there is no reason why any player who had 3 or more character at that time should not have gained access to all 3 of these ships.

While everything you have said is true, there are plenty of reasons why people may not have done the race for each ship (you still had to collect 1000 Autographs to unlock each ship after all). Some players, including those who joined with the Delta Recruit event, simply weren't playing the game yet.

For myself, the raider never seemed that interesting because it didn't suit my playstyle (I preferred more bulkier ships over small and heavy tac oriented ones - but this has changed recently) so I slotted the Chel Grett on all my characters (I had three at the time) because that one did suit my playstyle and I thought: "Well, if I decide I want the Raider at some later point, I can always collect it next year." Besides, I thought I had slotted the project but now I realise that must have been a mistake. I guess that's my own fault, but anyway.

the whole point is you did not need to slot the Chel Grett on all your characters strait off, you could have done this on only one character as you only needed to get the 1000 Autographs for that character, you could then have got it on any other character for only 40 Autographs.
    this would have freed up the character you needed to slot the raider and get the 1000 Autographs for that ship and got then got that ship on your others for 40 Autographs.
    so basically a player with 3 character in play last year who never had any of the ships could have got all 3 ships for a total of 1080 Autographs taking only 27 days from the start of the event to acquire them all.

while it is true that any new players who started playing after the winter event will unfortunately miss out on these ships there is no reason why any player with 3 character should not have been able to get all all 3 ships last year.

this leaves me wondering though, how many people posting about these ships could have easily got them all last year and did not bother because at the time simply did not want them, only now these ships are suddenly no longer available they crave to have them, hmmm funny how people often want the most the things they cant have.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It'd be nice if, for the next anniversary, we could slot a single project to claim one of the the event ships (Obalisk, T5 Kamarga, free oddy and body, Breen and Risian ships). All except the Samsar, that's part of a set and should be in the Lobi store.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Even adding them to the Lobi, Dilithium, C- or fleet stores would be better than permanently and entirely removing them.

Based on the way things currently are, you can purchase the new event ships for Lobi via buying the voucher packages. Cost, probably around 1250 Lobi. To get 1250 Lobi requires opening about 250 lockboxes which means you'd have to buy keys to a total of 28,125 Zen.

So, are you willing to spend those sorts of numbers in order to get those ships? If not, then I don't think it's really right to be wanting Cryptic to offer that method of picking up the older ships.

Having only been playing the game for a few months, it really ticks me off that I don't have a way to get some of those ships if I wanted them. I'd be happy if there was some alternate "grind" I could do that would allow me to be able to get them. It could just be something like a 2 week event at least a couple times a year where we could work towards those sorts of things. Not long enough to finish them or interfere with other big events but enough that we could maybe complete 1 ship doing 2 of the events.

You do know that you can get keys for EC from exchange...right? So you can get those lobi without spending one single zen of your own.

while this is true bare in mind that at the current price of 5 million ec per key it would cost you about 1.25 billion ec to get the keys to open the 250 lockboxes required to get one ship.

still if you need lots of ec I have heard selling lockbox keys is a good way to get it.....DOH!

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I agree with the OP; after all the obelisk carrier is available in the shipyard (2 fleet ship modules, lol). no more exclusivity: unlock the ships, the kobali uniform etc
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Why the winter ships only? I'd like to have the first 2 summer ships too (mainly for the admirality system).
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    Why the winter ships only? I'd like to have the first 2 summer ships too (mainly for the admirality system).

Because the winter ships all share the same console set with each other & the Plesh Brek Frigates. Sure, some will want the ships for the Admiralty system too, but the main thing is to complete that console set. The Risian ships, while also having a console set, don't share anything with the Nandi, which is why the winter ships are a higher priority.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    They have pulled the old ships because of how useful they are in the admiralty system. If it wasn't for that, they would be still available each year. Sad for those who would actually like to fly them or use the full console set, but understandable considering how high the admiralty rewards can be with a large number of alts.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    so i missed out on the chel , pleh and sarr i chose not to do the winter event those years well the chel i had just started playing STO and was well late on the scene but no big deal.

Personally im content with the way it is the only thing that pisses me off is the currency alot of people worked hard only to have all that work be for nothing and no those ignorant ship emojis isnt the answer sorry but no.
  • Options
    theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    There's an idea with the fleet ships - simply add last year's prize ship for FC and Fleet Ship's Modules, it was the new and desirable thing last year, by the time of the next year, majority of people aren't using it anymore, so add it to the Fleet so others can experience the ship and get the collection (in case of Breen ships) for the consoles, if at a little later date then the rest.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Hahaha, you worked hard to obtain those glossy photos. Now that is funny. No one works hard at STO, we push buttons on a key board.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    so i missed out on the chel , pleh and sarr i chose not to do the winter event those years well the chel i had just started playing STO and was well late on the scene but no big deal.

Personally im content with the way it is the only thing that pisses me off is the currency alot of people worked hard only to have all that work be for nothing and no those ignorant ship emojis isnt the answer sorry but no.

funny I quite like those ignorant ship emojis and I got a shed load of spec points to boot, I just wish we could use future excess event tokens in the same way.
    There's an idea with the fleet ships - simply add last year's prize ship for FC and Fleet Ship's Modules, it was the new and desirable thing last year, by the time of the next year, majority of people aren't using it anymore, so add it to the Fleet so others can experience the ship and get the collection (in case of Breen ships) for the consoles, if at a little later date then the rest.

oh contraire mon capitan last years ship is still my no.1 for story missions and I cant see this years ship changing that much.

• Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I know it is unlikely to be changed, but one can hope...

Could we please get a final chance to slot the older Winter event ships? One last time, now that everyone has been informed that it will be their last chance?

Too late and if they did , let just say they forced us to trade in the photos already. Insult to Injury!
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    tarran61 wrote: »
    I know it is unlikely to be changed, but one can hope...

Could we please get a final chance to slot the older Winter event ships? One last time, now that everyone has been informed that it will be their last chance?

Too late and if they did , let just say they forced us to trade in the photos already. Insult to Injury!

bit of a moot point but if they let you slot an old ship project you could fill it with this years tokens so the fact that you were 'forced' to trade in the photos is irrelevant, just sayin.

the problem is if they let players have one last chance to get these ships there will always be other players either because they are new or simply because they didn't realise what was happening who would want one more last chance and cryptic will be in an awkward position to say no as they granted it this time, they have to draw the line somewhere so they have chose rightly or wrongly to draw it here and no amount of begging or pleading will change their minds.

• Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User

Because the winter ships all share the same console set with each other & the Plesh Brek Frigates. Sure, some will want the ships for the Admiralty system too, but the main thing is to complete that console set. The Risian ships, while also having a console set, don't share anything with the Nandi, which is why the winter ships are a higher priority.

Higher priority to you, but the basic fact remains: exclusivity started shortly before Risa 2015 with no notice during the end of Risa 2014 to "slot the ships or lose access forever."

Therefore, allow slotting of Risa ships & Winter ships one more time is a reasonable request, and would constitute a proper notification in time. Also, who is to say there won't be T6 Risian ships next summer with set bonuses that people will want just the same as the Raider pets and console bonuses of Winter, like some Risian carrier that has Frigate Corvettes that require owning it previous years to unlock.

It is all the feedback during the Summer event that allowed the trade-off of account-wide event ship unlocks for exclusivity, so in that sense everyone has been compensated with something very valuable ever since, even if there's never been true advance notice (allow slotting the projects this last time).
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I understand why they want to prevent people from hoarding tokens one year, and then skipping all the subsequent events.

But, I wish they'd have done something different to get rid of that, something besides locking out the old ships.

Replacing the tokens with different ones each year is done to prevent people from hoarding them. It's effective, I didn't run one single extra floater mission during the summer event. And don't plan on running one single extra ice race either.

Removing the old ships has nothing to do with that goal.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

while this is true bare in mind that at the current price of 5 million ec per key it would cost you about 1.25 billion ec to get the keys to open the 250 lockboxes required to get one ship.

still if you need lots of ec I have heard selling lockbox keys is a good way to get it.....DOH!

While the keys are expensive now, they will drop once the herald box gets phased out unless they have something as broken as the vonph trait in the next box(it could also drop if they nerf that trait as well). This is a good time to sell keys to the fools who want to buy high. Wait and buy those keys later after you made a fortune off the fools now. There are plenty of items you can do this with (like event items at the start of an event). Man, do they not teach economics anymore in school? Does the term buy low, sell high mean nothing to people?

even when they drop in price you are still looking at a considerable sum of EC to take this route to get the winter/summer ships and last time I looked EC doesn't grow on trees no matter how suave you are at playing the market you will still be looking at a considerable amount of game time to raise the funds you would require.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

Eh, if they ever did bring back the event ships, seems like it'd be better stick in in Lobi or something similar, rather than restricting it to people who are in fleets.... isn't the point of this request, to make the ships available to all players? /shrug
  • Options
    mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Or have a vendor sell them for 100 million ec for account unlock. I would pay 100 million for an account unlock of each ship. And it would be a good way to get rid of some ec which are ever inflating.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Didnt this same thread happen for the summer event? Anyways I do feel bad if you all ever missed one of these (especially the plesh brek because pets) but i believe in the AMA Salami didnt rule out bringing event ships back at some point (although i think that was in response to the samsar)
  • Options
    talasivaritalasivari Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    waldotrek wrote: »
    (...) Also Breen are about the only cold climate race (other than Andorians) so the choices are limited for a winter event.(...)"

I support more Andorian ships, and I am unanimous in this!

Urtlolev of the Andorian Imperial Fleet
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Overall I like the changes they made regarding the event ships. Account bound, no more running on all your alts, reclaimable in the shop etc. I do not understand why you cannot get the old ships. A sad thing for those who missed it and new players. What is the big deal anyway. Those ships are still in the game and will be flown. Thrue, they may disappear over time when the player base is replaced by a new one.

As I understood Cryptic didn't want players to claim the new ship right away because they had saved 'currency' from the last event. So each event has its own currency. The reason was players had to participate in the event and get the ship as a reward, Suppose you can save currency, so you can buy the ship on the first day of the event, you still have to participate to get the currency. The only thing is you buy this years ship with last years currency. To do it next year, you have to play now. You still can get the ship right away if you pay with lobi, I presume.

Why not start the event on the third and open the shop, or add the new ship on the twenthieths or another date. Replace the currency each year, but keep the ships in the store.
  • Options
    lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    i tried the event yesterday...to be honest its sooooo boring and to be honest utterly TRIBBLE, the thought of doing races across a whole month is too much to bear.

I wont get the new Dreadnought, because if playing becomes like a job then its not worth it. I dont mind hard work but daily grind and drudge...no thanks.

I dont mind paying for stuff, so if a decent ship comes out i can buy it. Even if it costs 20 quid, thats less than 3 hrs work even on minimum wage, so better than races across all the month.

Winter Wonderland....no, its TRIBBLE....really disappointing.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    All "Exclusivity" does is create an atmosphere of "Nah, Nah, I Got Somthin' You Can't Have"...
    Which is in no way, good for the Community as a whole.
    Neither is it a good way to bring in new, lasting players when they discover that there are parts of the game that are unattainable, yet are required to complete a given set.

It is a very poor business decision, especially when it comes to Trek fans, who have been proven to be more than willing to spend large sums of money on their favorite hobby.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »

Eh, if they ever did bring back the event ships, seems like it'd be better stick in in Lobi or something similar, rather than restricting it to people who are in fleets.... isn't the point of this request, to make the ships available to all players? /shrug

You cute sillybean,
    You'd rather part with 600-800 lobis per ship, then join a good high level fleet (whola bunch of em 'round too, not like it's exclusive thing nowadays), get the rank and buy the fleet ship modules off the exhange - all to buy a year or more older ship to just get the console on it? That makes absolutely no sense at all. /shrug

I mean maybe someone desperate or in severe excess of lobis would do that. I wouldn't, but then I have all the Breen ships anyway. Well except the Rezreth, working on that!

Anyone can join a fleet, it's free. And you'd need substantionally more credits to buy enough keys, open the lockboxes and get the lobis - FC/Fleed mods is supposed to be a simpler solution for all the players, because this ties mostly to new players, which won't sit on millions of creds nor have the knowledge to accumulate it. Instead, they can join fleets, get the FC needed and promotion (there are fleets with 20/25k FC promotion for provisions, can't tell me that's hard to do), they'll eventually get the fleet modules, if by no other means, then selling off their dil into zen.

Fleets get moar players, donation to projects, players get the ships they want that were otherwise unobtainable to them before, Cryptic gets another time/resource/money sink - it's a win-win really.

While I understand that fleets might be hassle to some people, it's easier way for obtaining things, not all people are sitting on a pile of lobis - and we can't expect to be handed out the ship for free, so there has to be some price to it.

Ugh, I need coffee...my head hurts so early in the morning. :s
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • Options

Higher priority to you, but the basic fact remains: exclusivity started shortly before Risa 2015 with no notice during the end of Risa 2014 to "slot the ships or lose access forever."

Therefore, allow slotting of Risa ships & Winter ships one more time is a reasonable request, and would constitute a proper notification in time. Also, who is to say there won't be T6 Risian ships next summer with set bonuses that people will want just the same as the Raider pets and console bonuses of Winter, like some Risian carrier that has Frigate Corvettes that require owning it previous years to unlock.

It is all the feedback during the Summer event that allowed the trade-off of account-wide event ship unlocks for exclusivity, so in that sense everyone has been compensated with something very valuable ever since, even if there's never been true advance notice (allow slotting the projects this last time).

you forget cryptic has the right to change, add or take away the availability of any item in the game without prior notification.
    daveyny wrote: »
    All "Exclusivity" does is create an atmosphere of "Nah, Nah, I Got Somthin' You Can't Have"...
    Neither is it a good way to bring in new, lasting players when they discover that there are parts of the game that are unattainable, yet are required to complete a given set.

It is a very poor business decision, especially when it comes to Trek fans, who have been proven to be more than willing to spend large sums of money on their favorite hobby.

there are many items in the game that I will never have some of them simply because the mechanic to gain them is no longer available, I don't feel like players who have these items are remotely "Nah, Nah, I Got Somthin' You Can't Have" most would be glad to see you get these items but if they are no longer available the only thing I can do is use a close alternative item that you will often find is better then the thing you were wanting so badly anyway.

like the console set from these ships that players are so desperate to get, I can tell you now there are far better sets you can get anyway so you are not missing much.

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2015

you forget cryptic has the right to change, add or take away the availability of any item in the game without prior notification.
    daveyny wrote: »

there are many items in the game that I will never have some of them simply because the mechanic to gain them is no longer available, I don't feel like players who have these items are remotely "Nah, Nah, I Got Somthin' You Can't Have" most would be glad to see you get these items but if they are no longer available the only thing I can do is use a close alternative item that you will often find is better then the thing you were wanting so badly anyway.

like the console set from these ships that players are so desperate to get, I can tell you now there are far better sets you can get anyway so you are not missing much.

Basing other folks desires on your own, isn't a proper way to look at the situation.
    Just because you don't want or need it, doesn't mean somebody should feel the same.
    And what you feel is "good" may not be why somebody else desires it.
    They may want it just to complete a set or perhaps they play the game in a very different style from the way you do.
    What you've just described is a very "Me" oriented mentality and is exactly what I was talking about when I said "Nah, Nah I've got something you can't have".
    You apparently don't want it cause it's not all that great in your estimation and believe that nobody else should desire it for the same reason.
    <smh>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif