test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter event ships: last chance please

risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
I know it is unlikely to be changed, but one can hope...

Could we please get a final chance to slot the older Winter event ships? One last time, now that everyone has been informed that it will be their last chance?

There are players, like me, who did do the race on their characters and who did actively participate in all previous events, but only got one ship on all their characters (last time it still had to be done on all characters where you wanted a certain ship). There are players who never even had a chance to collect the older ships because they weren't around yet.

The ships are there, there's plenty of enthusiasm for them, and there's even a set bonus linked to the upcoming Rezreth. Even adding them to the Lobi, Dilithium, C- or fleet stores would be better than permanently and entirely removing them.

Comments

• Options
    mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Ya dissappointed I didn't slot the other two ships at last years event thinking that I would be able to get them next year. Now missing out on their consoles :(
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    If the Dreadnought is the last of the Breen ships, I do think people should get one last chance to get all of the Breen ships...or at least be able to buy them from the Lobi store so that they have access to the consoles.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    they asked for the same at the start of the summer event but nothing doing, unlikely they will give it for the winter event for fear if upsetting too many that never got the summer event last chance.
    just giving you the heads up so you don't build your hopes up.
    mrsmitty81 wrote: »
    Ya dissappointed I didn't slot the other two ships at last years event thinking that I would be able to get them next year. Now missing out on their consoles :(

ever heard the saying - he who hesitates is lost, I think that's quite appropriate here.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    I say "you never know". They can only make so many Breen vessels. Also Breen are about the only cold climate race (other than Andorians) so the choices are limited for a winter event. Nausicans and Gorn are playable races in this game and only have 2 or 3 each(?) Also plenty of new players so they may want to recycle these ship in starting next year. Like I said "you never know"
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • Options
    waldotrek wrote: »
    I say "you never know". They can only make so many Breen vessels. Also Breen are about the only cold climate race (other than Andorians) so the choices are limited for a winter event. Nausicans and Gorn are playable races in this game and only have 2 or 3 each(?) Also plenty of new players so they may want to recycle these ship in starting next year. Like I said "you never know"

as they said taking them out is for exclusivity this is unlikely to happen.

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,524 Arc User
    I have all 3 of the old ships, but I support either allowing slotting them, or adding them to the lobi store.

The carrier is the closest thing to a T6 science ship that Romulans and KDF can get, and the frigate is needed to be able to get the frigate hangar pets. The console set is meh, but some would like to try it.
  • Options
    yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I'm not opposed to permanently retiring event ships, but it seems fair to make the consoles with set bonuses available through some channel as long as ships that can use those sets are being added.
  • Options
    lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    That's how events work, when it is done, there is no way to get the rewards again. It is the same everywhere, and will not be fair for the players that spent days in these events to make these ships available for everyone.
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,524 Arc User
    lamyrs wrote: »
    That's how events work, when it is done, there is no way to get the rewards again. It is the same everywhere, and will not be fair for the players that spent days in these events to make these ships available for everyone.

I did over 80 ice races last year to grind all 3, but I disagree. Also, the request is to let new players slot the project and earn it by grinding not to give them away for no work.

At a minimum, Cryptic should unlock the frigate hangar pets if they won't offer any way to earn the frigate.
  • Options
    lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User

I did over 80 ice races last year to grind all 3, but I disagree. Also, the request is to let new players slot the project and earn it by grinding not to give them away for no work.

At a minimum, Cryptic should unlock the frigate hangar pets if they won't offer any way to earn the frigate.

You should read the request again.
    risian4 wrote: »
    . Even adding them to the Lobi, Dilithium, C- or fleet stores would be better than permanently and entirely removing them.

I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • Options

You should read the request again.
    . Even adding them to the Lobi, Dilithium, C- or fleet stores would be better than permanently and entirely removing them.

What I meant by that, was that if the ships aren't made available for free by allowing us to slot them one last time, putting them in a (whichever) store would be preferable to making them completely unobtainable. Besides, if they're put in a store, it's not like you don't have to do anything to get it. Indeed, you'd have to work a lot harder to get them.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Exclusivity in things like this is pointless and brainless. I agree with the OP.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User

Even putting a fariness argument aside, this isn't much different than other MMOs. STO is doing nothing particularly different here.

I've only been in the game a year and a half - 2 Summer Events, and this'll be my second Winter. So yeah, there are ships I'm never going to get the chance to have. But I also haven't played the game since the beginning, so I kinda expect not to have all the things that players who've been in here longer would have. It's rewarding long-time players, with one-time unlocks.
  • Options
    though I hate to be negative it seems to me judging from the posts I have seen many players were here last year and played the event with multiple characters.

for players who had 3 or more characters as you could (if I remember correctly) slot the 3 breen ships, the Plesh Brek - the Chel Grett - the Sarr Theln one of each of your first 3 character fill the three projects with 1000 tokens each by doing the event race each day with all 3 characters and then get the extra 2 ships for each character by doing the projects for those ships at the reduced price of only 40 tokens each and on any extra character over the first 3 all three ships for 40 tokens each by completing all 3 reduced price projects on each extra character that you wanted them for.

so basically a player with 3 or more characters could have easily got all 3 ships for every character they had in the one event.
    now of course anyone who had done this would be able to claim all of these ships on any characters they might have created after the event ended.

• Options
    mcevergreenmcevergreen Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I would like to re-post my comment:

On behalf of the members of my fleets (both fleets have been funded this year), please do NOT retire the old Breen ships. Many players of our fleets just started to play this year and will be very disappointed if they have no chance to get the old breen ships. Even though I am veteran player, I also do not have all the old breen ships and their consoles which are needed for the set bonus of the new ship.

Please, give us a chance to slot the old breen ships again. If needed, let people do the daily event for different ships on different chars.

I have seen that there are many similar posts in the forum and many people writing in-game about the unfortunate decision to plan retiring the old breen ships. Please, reconsider the decision, in order to make many people happy and let them run down the ice channel to get also the old breen ships. We all would appreciate this possibility.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    though I hate to be negative it seems to me judging from the posts I have seen many players were here last year and played the event with multiple characters.

for players who had 3 or more characters as you could (if I remember correctly) slot the 3 breen ships, the Plesh Brek - the Chel Grett - the Sarr Theln one of each of your first 3 character fill the three projects with 1000 tokens each by doing the event race each day with all 3 characters and then get the extra 2 ships for each character by doing the projects for those ships at the reduced price of only 40 tokens each and on any extra character over the first 3 all three ships for 40 tokens each by completing all 3 reduced price projects on each extra character that you wanted them for.

so basically a player with 3 or more characters could have easily got all 3 ships for every character they had in the one event.
    now of course anyone who had done this would be able to claim all of these ships on any characters they might have created after the event ended.

I have just confirmed this is correct here>
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9008423-q's-winter-wonderland-carrier

quote from the web page:- "Once an Event Starship is obtained by any character on your account, the cost of obtaining additional copies of that same Event Starship is reduced for all other characters on your account! In the case of the Breen Winter Event vessel, instead of requiring 1000 Autographs, additional starships for your other character will only require 40 Autographs before the project can be completed."

so there is no reason why any player who had 3 or more character at that time should not have gained access to all 3 of these ships.

having said this I see no reason why the consoles should not be made available through the c-store or lobi store.

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    I completely agree in LESS exclusivity. Who needs that anyway? For "I am better" comparisons we got plenty of options, and frankly I don't think anybody would loose anything by players being offered the Breen ships over and over.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Cryptic has gone back and forth with Seasonal Event Ships (Winter, Summer, Anniversary). A while back it used to require, say 1k tokens per character, or something like that, and was not an account unlock. THAT sucked big time. Then it got changed to only 1k tokens for the first, initial purchase on any character but 40 tokens for the rest. The tokens are character bound, however, and Cryptic "allowed" players to spend Lobi to get these tokens faster.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: FYI, the Lobi Route is a bit of RNG (like how many Lobi you get opening a Lockbox) and for a full 1k tokens' worth of purchase, do not be surprised to spend more than an equivalent tiered Lobi Ship.

The best, cheapest route is to simply do the events daily and get the ship for free, only costing you time but nothing lost in EC, Dil, Zen, etc.

People also forget the reason why Events occur: To encourage surges of people to play. Coincide that these events occur when blocks of people have more down time... Summer Break, Christmas/New Year's/Holiday Break, etc. Event ships are the rewards for those coming in the game and participating in the Event.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if a new C-Store ship hits in December, maybe even January also.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    I completely agree in LESS exclusivity. Who needs that anyway? For "I am better" comparisons we got plenty of options, and frankly I don't think anybody would loose anything by players being offered the Breen ships over and over.

That kinda has the counter-argument in there, too. So much of the game can be accessed by anyone, anytime. There are very, very few things that have the exclusive / one-time only mark on them.

And for a new player, there isn't a whole lot that you wouldn't be able to get. I've been playing the game for a year and a half, and didn't rush to get the previous years' event ships - and very soon after I started, I found out I couldn't. I'm kinda fine with that, really, because there are so few examples in the game of things that are made unavailable after they're offered. Besides a handful of event items, a player starting today can get almost everything that's in the game. Even for new toons. Sure, one of my new characters won't have the Cochrane Shotgun. But it's one gun, out of how many others? And even then, things like event ships are account-wide unlocks now.

We're honestly not too hard done by the game's unlock systems. Other games, be they MMOs or other types, have much more content locked behind a 'limited time only' wall. Other games have less, of course - but STO certainly isn't one of the heavily-locked ones by any stretch.
  • Options
    chipg7 wrote: »

That kinda has the counter-argument in there, too. So much of the game can be accessed by anyone, anytime. There are very, very few things that have the exclusive / one-time only mark on them.

And for a new player, there isn't a whole lot that you wouldn't be able to get. I've been playing the game for a year and a half, and didn't rush to get the previous years' event ships - and very soon after I started, I found out I couldn't. I'm kinda fine with that, really, because there are so few examples in the game of things that are made unavailable after they're offered. Besides a handful of event items, a player starting today can get almost everything that's in the game. Even for new toons. Sure, one of my new characters won't have the Cochrane Shotgun. But it's one gun, out of how many others? And even then, things like event ships are account-wide unlocks now.

We're honestly not too hard done by the game's unlock systems. Other games, be they MMOs or other types, have much more content locked behind a 'limited time only' wall. Other games have less, of course - but STO certainly isn't one of the heavily-locked ones by any stretch.

You make an excellent case for why it's "Not so bad" but not why "It should be so"

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    "Exclusivity" is a useless non-value that doesn't encourage participation. On the contrary, it reduces participation by preventing willing players from playing more to earn multiple ships. Knowing that if you come up short in the event all your effort will be summarily cancelled will also discourage players with less time to play from participating at all.

Retiring items can only have a positive effect if the item is farmable and tradeable. In that case it would encourage players to stockpile more, to sell when the item is no longer available and the price goes up. Even then, it would probably make sense to reintroduce the item if/when the stockpiles run out, to once again drive participation.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    Won't someone think of the people that only get their joy in life by having things other people can never obtain?

Oh.
    Someone at Cryptic already did.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    it would not bother me personally if these ships were available each year even though I have them all I cant see why others cant get them, cryptic obviously thinks its time for the availability of these ships to come to an end and I cant see there is any way these kind of threads will change this.
    players just need to except that this is the way things are now and move on.

• Options

I have just confirmed this is correct here>
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9008423-q's-winter-wonderland-carrier

quote from the web page:- "Once an Event Starship is obtained by any character on your account, the cost of obtaining additional copies of that same Event Starship is reduced for all other characters on your account! In the case of the Breen Winter Event vessel, instead of requiring 1000 Autographs, additional starships for your other character will only require 40 Autographs before the project can be completed."

so there is no reason why any player who had 3 or more character at that time should not have gained access to all 3 of these ships.

While everything you have said is true, there are plenty of reasons why people may not have done the race for each ship (you still had to collect 1000 Autographs to unlock each ship after all). Some players, including those who joined with the Delta Recruit event, simply weren't playing the game yet.

For myself, the raider never seemed that interesting because it didn't suit my playstyle (I preferred more bulkier ships over small and heavy tac oriented ones - but this has changed recently) so I slotted the Chel Grett on all my characters (I had three at the time) because that one did suit my playstyle and I thought: "Well, if I decide I want the Raider at some later point, I can always collect it next year." Besides, I thought I had slotted the project but now I realise that must have been a mistake. I guess that's my own fault, but anyway.

I now have three Chel Grett projects that are almost completed and no Raider. Play styles change over time, a ship that was not that interesting back then may be more interesting now. Especially with the release of new ships that will form a set with the other ones.
    The Carrier was only released last year so if you missed that event, you missed your only chance whereas the other ships had been around for at least two years.

There's plenty of reasons why people don't have the ships even if they were around and participated in the event. Some of us made choices that were logical at the time with the information we had, since there was no indication that the ships would be retired. Others might want it for a newly created character. And of course there's all the people who started playing this year. I'd say that a solution is needed, and almost any solution that I can think of and which have been suggested in the various threads (releasing them in a store, allowing players to slot the projects one final time, a re-run event or simply keeping things as they have been for 3 or 4 years now) would be a better one than removing things that are popular and could possibly be a source of additional revenue (which is good for all of us) entirely from the game.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    gradii wrote: »

You make an excellent case for why it's "Not so bad" but not why "It should be so"

I'm not trying to defend it as a good thing. I'm simply saying that, given how the vast majority of the game is available at all times, having a handful of things be limited edition isn't all that offensive. There's no fairness argument, there's no equality argument, there's no bad/good valuation - it just is.

For whatever business reason, Cryptic saw it advantageous to do this. Maybe they see more profit out of it? Maybe they wanted to get on the limited edition bandwagon with a handful of items? I have no idea the reasoning behind it. It just is. And it's really not a problem.

It's as simple as, if you play the game now you have the chance to get the current ship. If you didn't play it before, you don't get the old ones. Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    I've got the first 2 on my KDF sci char but missed out last years event. I'm really pissed I can't complete the console set. (even if it's TRIBBLE).
    I would like to get the ship, too. Not many T6 choices for my KDF sci char... Oh, and I've got a crapload mugshots left over from the first two events, which are now worth jack TRIBBLE.
    Thank you Craptic !
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • Options
    gradii wrote: »

I'm not trying to defend it as a good thing. I'm simply saying that, given how the vast majority of the game is available at all times, having a handful of things be limited edition isn't all that offensive. There's no fairness argument, there's no equality argument, there's no bad/good valuation - it just is.

For whatever business reason, Cryptic saw it advantageous to do this. Maybe they see more profit out of it? Maybe they wanted to get on the limited edition bandwagon with a handful of items? I have no idea the reasoning behind it. It just is. And it's really not a problem.

It's as simple as, if you play the game now you have the chance to get the current ship. If you didn't play it before, you don't get the old ones. Makes sense to me.

as long as I can still get the warp core from the event store I'm ok with it, because that's all I want from the ship. I don't fly random alien ships, it's either Starfleet/Klingon/Romulan designs for me.

• Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Even adding them to the Lobi, Dilithium, C- or fleet stores would be better than permanently and entirely removing them.

Based on the way things currently are, you can purchase the new event ships for Lobi via buying the voucher packages. Cost, probably around 1250 Lobi. To get 1250 Lobi requires opening about 250 lockboxes which means you'd have to buy keys to a total of 28,125 Zen.

So, are you willing to spend those sorts of numbers in order to get those ships? If not, then I don't think it's really right to be wanting Cryptic to offer that method of picking up the older ships.

Having only been playing the game for a few months, it really ticks me off that I don't have a way to get some of those ships if I wanted them. I'd be happy if there was some alternate "grind" I could do that would allow me to be able to get them. It could just be something like a 2 week event at least a couple times a year where we could work towards those sorts of things. Not long enough to finish them or interfere with other big events but enough that we could maybe complete 1 ship doing 2 of the events.