test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I have a bone to pick considering this game's Herald lockbox

bayonettawiccanbayonettawiccan Member Posts: 180 Arc User
You made this too much of a cash grab. You must have made it one in a million to get the vonph carrier. You could have made money with your ships and other things.

Gotta say, Perfect World, kinda shady, even for you.
Post edited by bayonettawiccan on

Comments

• Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    You made this too much of a cash grab. You must have made it one in a million to get the vonph carrier. You could have made money with your ships and other things.

Not sure how this is any different to any of the other lockboxes?

Trust me, it's very different.
  • Options

Not sure how this is any different to any of the other lockboxes?

Trust me, it's very different.

I don't see it. Granted, Cryptic/PWE don't state the odds, but I sincerely doubt that they made the odds of winning the Vomph any different to the odds of winning any other lockbox grand-prize ship.

I have won most of the other ships by opening boxes. Trust me, I didn't spend half as much as I am currently.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    I have won most of the other ships by opening boxes. Trust me, I didn't spend half as much as I am currently.
    But it's based solely on chance (and a small amount of luck). Just because you've won the others within x amount of master keys, doesn't mean this one is going to be the same.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Then don't spend any money!!!

Gods do people not realise the only person to blame if you fall into getting suckered by lock boxes is you! Nobody forces you to buy keys to gamble with and nobody forces you to chase after that rare ship.

If you want a rare item you gotta pay the price, it's entirely your call.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Gods do people not realise the only person to blame if you fall into getting suckered by lock boxes is you! Nobody forces you to buy keys to gamble with and nobody forces you to chase after that rare ship.

But I didn't make them so damned rare, so no, not my fault. And shut up if you have nothing other to contribute than simply 'don't buy it.' It's counterproductive and simplistic.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

This.

One classic problem with the mindset of some who play the gamble-game with the keys is that they think that their chaces of winning the grand-prize increases based on the number of keys they used (i.e using key #99 = chance of winning ship 99 times better).
    Which is why we often see posts/threads along the lines of "I spent $500 on lockbox keys and didn't get my ship - I demand COMPENSATION!!"
    You're over simplifying the problem. It's a shameless cash grab and worse than buying season passes on a console game. At least there it's guaranteed.

So no, not this. What you need to do is quit making excuses for the shady practices this game's got itself involved in.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited December 2015

According to some people that opened 1000s of boxes, the Vonph is 1/400 to drop and the Quas is 1/160. That's 2 "good" (depending on whether you think the Vonph is a dud or not) ships compared to a single one from previous lock boxes. YoH the 1 good ship was 1/200. Previous Lock boxes were 1/250.

On a side note, if the price is any indication, the Vonph is a dud. I've seen it being offered for a low of 600m a day or two a go. And for several days it was being offered at 650m. Wait another month and it will probably start showing up on the exchange lol.
  • Options
    tempus64 wrote: »

According to some people that opened 1000s of boxes, the Vonph is 1/400 to drop and the Quas is 1/160. That's 2 "good" (depending on whether you think the Vonph is a dud or not) ships compared to a single one from previous lock boxes. YoH the 1 good ship was 1/200. Previous Lock boxes were 1/250.

On a side note, if the price is any indication, the Vonph is a dud. I've seen it being offered for a low of 600m a day or two a go. And for several days it was being offered at 650m. Wait another month and it will probably start showing up on the exchange lol.

I opened like 300 of them and I got nothing but crappy weapons packs and traits I've got no use for.

And seriously, some people opened up 1000s of these. Geez no wonder why they don't wanna change the system. Too many rich kids are playing this.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

This.

One classic problem with the mindset of some who play the gamble-game with the keys is that they think that their chaces of winning the grand-prize increases based on the number of keys they used (i.e using key #99 = chance of winning ship 99 times better).
    Which is why we often see posts/threads along the lines of "I spent $500 on lockbox keys and didn't get my ship - I demand COMPENSATION!!"
    You're over simplifying the problem. It's a shameless cash grab and worse than buying season passes on a console game. At least there it's guaranteed.

So no, not this. What you need to do is quit making excuses for the shady practices this game's got itself involved in.

What's so shameless about it? It's gambling! And the probablities of getting a ship or any other item are common knowledge (and often posted only a few hours after a new lockbox is released). Have you ever played any other Free-to-play games? Believe me, the cash grabbing in STO is nowhere nearly as bad.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Ow hey the thread about how lock boxes are pure evil again. Sports at 11.

I don't like lock boxes, but I got this very simple efficient solution for that. I don't participate in the lock box lottery. Suggest you do the same.
  • Options
    szim wrote: »

This.

What's so shameless about it? It's gambling! And the probablities of getting a ship or any other item are common knowledge (and often posted only a few hours after a new lockbox is released). Have you ever played any other Free-to-play games? Believe me, the cash grabbing in STO is nowhere nearly as bad.

I play both SWTOR and DCUO. There's cash grabbing in both games, but not nearly as bad or blatant. Also you're using the "it could be worse" argument. Just because there's worse issues in other games, doesn't exactly make the problems here go away.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

This.

It is called "Gamblers Fallacy".

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    I don't like lock boxes, but I got this very simple efficient solution for that. I don't participate in the lock box lottery. Suggest you do the same.

I've started opening lock boxes about a month ago as I want to get some of the items you can only get with Lobi. Each weekend I open a few and to date it's probably been about 60 total I've opened, maybe 70. I've been fairly lucky so far. Got a Kemo 1 that I sold, got an Olaen Carrier, a D'Kora and a couple decent traits. Course, if I had been opening them wanting some ship I probably wouldn't have got any of that stuff lol

• Options
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Ow hey the thread about how lock boxes are pure evil again. Sports at 11.

The problem is:

So the problem is, basically, that - having won "most other ships" by opening boxes - he expects to always win ships by opening boxes.

I understand not winning on the first (though some have) and even the 40th...but 300? come on now. That screams of a blatant cash grab.

Oh and it's she expects, fyi.
  • Options
    jamesstjamesjamesstjames Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    58346668.jpg

?
    tumblr_meud0dq0CT1rq8ga2o1_250.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ah so I see the OP is of the mind that if your opinion doesn't support theirs you should just shut up...nice.

Simple fact is this is all on you OP. You want the shiny ships you gotta pay the price, and that means buying or grinding out keys.
    Nobody is forcing you to go after those ships and they definitely are not required to compete in this game.
    Cryptic merely supplied the items, you must choose how much you spend chasing after those elusive rarities.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    Simple fact is this is all on you OP.
    So what you're saying is that set up the percentage on these lockboxes...
  • Options
    but 300? come on now. That screams of a blatant cash grab.
    Actually, it screams that people don't understand the probability of these sorts of things. It's random. It's not a "if I open 399 boxes I'll be guaranteed 1 even on the next box since it's 1/400". While there's a good chance you'd get 1 opening 300 boxes, there's also a very good chance you wouldn't. It's just too small a sample size.
  • Options
    Actually, it screams that people don't understand the probability of these sorts
    Actually it screams that you're obviously not paying attention because you're being too much of a stan for this game.
  • Options
    It's all just chance, simple probability.

You could open one box and get a big prize straight away.
    Or you could open every lockbox that ever existed in the game and win nothing but weapon packs.
    Both still have the exact same chance and nothing will change that.

Now opening a larger number of boxes increases the likelihood of winning because it's a bigger sample size, but the chance per box is still exactly the same and that will never change.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    Actually, it screams that people don't understand the probability of these sorts
    Actually it screams that you're obviously not paying attention because you're being too much of a stan for this game.
    Really? Paying attention to what. That you opened 300 boxes and didn't get a 1/400 ship? or that 300 boxes is statistically meaningless even for a 1/160 drop ship? Perhaps you should go educate yourself about this sort of thing before you start your crying.

But if all you're trying to say is that lock boxes are a cash grab. Then yeah. Everyone knows that already and if you play the game and lose and then still cry about it you just look foolish.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The Vonph is NOT a normal Lockbox Ship Prize. It is an additional prize that drops even more infrequently, like the Wrapper around a Premium C-Store Doff Pack or the C-Store R&D Pack when they run the Special Promotions.

I believe Druk on this Forum a few weeks ago indicated that the odds were closer to 1/750 and not the normal 1/100 or so.

They have (and still do) the same with the Tuffli and the Cell Ship - an extra special prize. It may be, however, that the odds in the latter two cases are probably better than the 1/750.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Already been said, but really, OP? You used 300 keys? How is that even a good idea? How much are keys selling for? 4.5 mil as of this weekend, enough to sell them all and buy your silly ship a couple times, according to the prices we've heard quoted here.

Let's not forget, the $$ spent on those keys, where else could it go? Let's ask one of those "Feed the Children" campaigns how long $270 (assuming you got your keys on sale, but judging by your decision making processes displayed here, you spent more...) could feed a starving child in Africa. But no, you come bring your entitled little self into the forums and whine about your First World Problems. Heck, even in the First World, there are people who would be utterly flabbergasted that you blew that kind of money on a GAME. People having to decide if they'll pay their mortgage or buy their prescriptions, or pay for heat, or...

Go home, OP, you're... well the forum rules won't let me say. Go home, OP.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I don't see it. Granted, Cryptic/PWE don't state the odds, but I sincerely doubt that they made the odds of winning the Vomph any different to the odds of winning any other lockbox grand-prize ship.

^^ This. I'm pretty confident the odds are the same as for any other lockbox.

And don't like the odds? Find someone in trade channel to sell it to you.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    If you never open a box for the ship you will never be disappointed. There is a method to how/when to open lockboxes.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I have it. Took me somewhere between 150 and 200 keys to get it though, and that's more than I usually need to get a ship I want.

Then again, this isn't really suprising as it was mentioned with the release of the box that it would be a special and much rarer price.

For most people this means, btw, that the Quas cruiser will probably be a lot cheaper in some time than other lock box ships. So overall I guess this was an acceptable change to the boxes. One ultra-rare ship, and the rare ship (the Quas) will likely be affordable to more people. And as some have mentioned here: you always get lobi (except when you get a Vonph) and the Baltim raider is a nice ship too.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Let's see, 300 keys at current prices would be worth around 1.3-1.5 billion EC which is enough to buy every ship in that box outwright TWICE!

Don't blame us because you have the mind of goldfish.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    I play both SWTOR and DCUO. There's cash grabbing in both games, but not nearly as bad or blatant. Also you're using the "it could be worse" argument. Just because there's worse issues in other games, doesn't exactly make the problems here go away.

I don't play SWTOR, cause it hates my computer, but I did play DC for several years, and their economy is really different. It's really subscriber based, and being premium's pretty painful, because of the cash cap. Their money grab is at the subscriber/free level. STO's pretty sweet for free players. (You want a top level ship? Do this easy game for 14 days. You want to buy c-store unlocks? Here's the dilithium exchange. And have a couple of T5 ships.)
    Every time there's a special ship promotion, someone posts here that they spent some ridiculous amount of money opening lock boxes, and they didn't get the ship that they wanted. That's probability. Someone will probably post that they got both ships from the same box, first try. It almost always happens.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    1-(1-p)^x

That's why you don't open lockboxes.

p is the probability of getting the thing you want, per box.

x is the total number of attempts. Not sequential, no memory of which is which, to be treated as one group.

If p isnt' 1 (100% chance), there will always be a chance you never get the prize. It may be astronomically small, but with finite chances you're never guaranteed the prize.

1/400 is 0.0025, so p = 0.0025. You tried 300 times, so x is 300. The overall chance of your 300 attempts at getting your prize at least once is 1-(1-0.0025)^300 which is 1 - .47192 = .52808, so a massive whopping 52% chance of getting your 1/400 ship at least once with 300 total tries.

Cue "But but Gambler's Fallacy!" cries.

p does not change. The formula doesn't care which attempt succeeds or which fails. Each attempt has a p chance of succeeding. What this formula tells you is that for a total of x tries, no more, no less, the chance of getting at least one success.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    ^^ This (I didn't see it while composing)

Wow OP, you're still arguing?
    How many times does it need to be said?

It doesn't matter what the actual probability is for getting a Vonph from a lockbox.
    If it's 1/400 or 1/150 or 1/50 ... it doesn't matter if you opened 300 boxes... you still are not GUARANTEED a Vonph.
    Yes, EVENTUALLY, if you open enough, you'll get the ship, but there's absolutely no guarantee that you will get it within x number of boxes.
    That's MATH.

It's like you're saying to someone:
    "Your logical argument is logical, LOGIC SUCKS!, YOU'RE SIMPLISTIC! I HATE YOU!"

Come on now.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
This discussion has been closed.