test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please, don't return the mirror event in it's current state (again)

Comments

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    MI was out and up annoying AFK'ers happen in every game you play so thats just a fact of MMO games.

However the mission itself was poorly done , from mirror ship not going for the obvious answer the power generators to them either camped on thier rift or zerging the starbase.

But by far the plasma lance VO was irritating as hell not to mention the knock back the station would do sending your target out of your firing arc.

and if you had a good team and clear it before the timer hit zero the cutscene would send ships back that did not exist since you pretty much destroyed everything.
  • Options
    iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    The funniest thing about this event is all the people whining about afkers.... while alt tabbed cause they are afking for 6 min cause all portals are closed.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    though I don't particularly like the format of the mission I would rather have it as it is then not at all.
    I cant really say I noticed any AFK players to any great extent although obviously there were players of differing levels where sometimes you were left with nothing to do for 4 minutes and other times the map was overrun with mirror ships but at the end it doesn't matter either way as long as I got the Multidimensional Transporter after and the 50k dil + bonus 2k dil for extra days at the end and the marks I gained are enough to complete terran reputation on all of my characters.
    so overall a most profitable outcome and at the end of the day I guess its just a case of the ends justifying the means.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    marcel314marcel314 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    How many alts are the people complaining trying to run through the mirror event? I ran four characters through it and don't really have any complaints or hatred towards it. I thought everyone knew STO became alt unfriendly with the release of Delta Rising.

I mentioned in my op that this is the 3th time they run this event which makes it older than Delta rising and it was already terrible back there and the worst thing, they never changed it.
    Also it doesn't matter if i use one or ten toons, that this event is terrible (re)made.
  • Options
    azurealli4nceazurealli4nce Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    Mirror Invasion isn't fun, especially not the time gate.
    DPS-Bronze, DPS-Silver, DPS-Gold, etc. are FAKE! They were created by an outvoted minority who destroyed the original DPS channels!

Tactical Team sucked, once upon a time. I got it buffed. Don't think for a minute that Cryptic ignores forum feedback.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I did mirror invasion on three characters and in all that play time I only noticed 2 people blatantly afk during the entirety of the mission. As for the mission itself - I think that once the station is at level 5 defense it should automatically move to the boss battle phase regardless of time remaining. There's no point in having players wait around for 5 minutes for the boss fight. That's poor mission design.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    marcel314 wrote: »
    How many alts are the people complaining trying to run through the mirror event? I ran four characters through it and don't really have any complaints or hatred towards it. I thought everyone knew STO became alt unfriendly with the release of Delta Rising.

I mentioned in my op that this is the 3th time they run this event which makes it older than Delta rising and it was already terrible back there and the worst thing, they never changed it.
    Also it doesn't matter if i use one or ten toons, that this event is terrible (re)made.

despite the fact that I would opt to keep mirror as is rather then have it removed entirely I do strongly agree that it needs reworking into a more streamlined version.
    cutting down on the amount of time wasted on cut scenes would be a good start.

• Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Lol you expect sto to be here in 2 years? And even if that would be the case they will have stopped development by then for sure. Look at what we got this time .. Doffing 1.1.. This time with ships lol

@topic
    Completely agree
    :trollface: DOOOOOOOOOOOOM! :trollface:

Come on. Seriously.

Typically, these kinds of games have many years of life left in them even after they reach the point where they rarely get updates (see Champions Online's update/news page for details). With former Star Trek actors showing up to do voiceovers, new ships being made, new episodes being released, and other such improvements being made regularly, it's safe to say this game isn't going anywhere for quite some time.

Well, unless they lose licensing rights for whatever reason, but I don't see that happening without some huge blunder going down.

Anyway @OP: Yeah, the event sucks not only because it's not an account-wide unlock and thus, extremely daunting for altoholics like myself, but also, the flow of the queued event is just terrible.
    • Good groups clear it, often with several minutes to sit around and wait for phase 2.
    • Poor groups, or groups full of afk scumbags, get swamped with mirror ships to the point it's impossible to do anything but survive until phase 2.
    • The advanced version is worse, and yet you get more rewards for afking and failing than you do in normal for succeeding?

I'd make it work like this:
    • Set number of rifts active at once, with a set number of spawns active per rift to prevent excessive ship spam. It should be challenging, but not overwhelming
    • New rifts only spawn when an existing one is closed and all ships spawned by the closed rift are destroyed.
    • Set time limit and required number of rifts to close before phase 2 triggers.
    • If the required number of rifts is closed but time still remains, closing additional rifts means additional rewards. Rifts will continue to spawn all the way until phase 2 so there isn't minutes worth of downtime.
    • If time expires before the minimum number of rifts is closed, the players must still close the required number of rifts, but spawning slows down and no rewards for phase 1 are given for upgrading the station, keeping its health up, etc. They'll still get the completion reward if they finish phase 2 though.
    • Phase 2 is actually just fine as is, although I'd give the poor Dreadnought more HP. It practically vaporizes these days.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Lol you expect sto to be here in 2 years? And even if that would be the case they will have stopped development by then for sure. Look at what we got this time .. Doffing 1.1.. This time with ships lol

@topic
    Completely agree

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Also as much as I would love a revamp of mirror, it won't happen any time soon.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    How about this mechanic. Dreadnaught only spawns when the station survives and doesn't go to 0 health.
    If players do nothing enemies keep spawning at a slow rate, but eventually overwhelm the station.
    Feeding the station energy enhances it's defences, but also causes more rifts to open.
    Every time all 4 generators are active at the same time 2 minutes get cut of the timer.
    And of course activating generators, closing rifts give bonus marks.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    ./signed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    iceeaglex wrote: »
    The funniest thing about this event is all the people whining about afkers.... while alt tabbed cause they are afking for 6 min cause all portals are closed.
    I think the funniest thing were the whiners who would ragequit 5-10 minutes into the mission because "nobody's closing the portals!" Always got a lol out of me.

On the forums the funniest were the ones who honestly thought them quitting the mission were somehow inconveniencing those of us who played it smart. I've been in an Advanced run with 3 quitters and the dread still went down easy. On Normal, any half-competent player could solo the dreadnought in 5 minutes, even with junk gear. That is, unless they waste that time closing portals.
    aesica wrote: »
    • Good groups clear it, often with several minutes to sit around and wait for phase 2.
    • Poor groups, or groups full of afk scumbags, get swamped with mirror ships to the point it's impossible to do anything but survive until phase 2.
    Wise groups ignore the optionals, get what they came for with minimum fuss and spend the waiting time with more productive tasks, like doffing, admiralty or breakfast.
  • Options
    harlequinpixieharlequinpixie Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    I'd not mind the timed part being removed, as I did it on eight alts and it was dull as heck. However, I did enjoy blowing stuff up. As for afker's, I don't really care about them, if they like to play it that way good for them :)

Making it advance once the base is at tier 5, or with twenty five rifts closed would be a much more desirable reason to do the mirror event.

A little off topic, but atmosphere assault was mentioned. And I really enjoyed doing that when it was able to be played.
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    what was best about the old mirror invasion?

Large fleets to blow up. quickly done. Fun.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And lots of XP.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited November 2015

@topic
    Completely agree
    :trollface: DOOOOOOOOOOOOM! :trollface:

Come on. Seriously.

Typically, these kinds of games have many years of life left in them even after they reach the point where they rarely get updates (see Champions Online's update/news page for details). With former Star Trek actors showing up to do voiceovers, new ships being made, new episodes being released, and other such improvements being made regularly, it's safe to say this game isn't going anywhere for quite some time.

hallelujah to that!
    Well, unless they lose licensing rights for whatever reason, but I don't see that happening without some huge blunder going down.

I always laugh when some posters assume that CBS will look at STO and disapprove enough not to renew the licence, don't they realise CBS is a company that's out to make money too, I'm pretty sure they would turn a blind eye to just about anything as long as the $$$ is rolling in and the truth of the matter is as the game stands I can see very little for CBS to get their knickers in a twist about.
    providing the games doing well financially and it certainly seems to be from where I'm sitting and cryptic feels its worth their time extending the licence I don't see any problem in that regard.

in fact I would say the game is doing better now then it was when I started playing 4 years ago.

I notice how @johnsteward highlighted the Admiralty System like this is all we got in season 11, sorry to see he missed a new bunch of Featured Episodes/story line, Counterpoint, Badlands Battlezone, Assasult on Terok Nor, Terran Task Force Reputation, Herald Lock Boxes/ships and the Cardassian Revamp.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Simple fix really. Make it shorter. that's the main issue it's too frickin long and boring.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    azrael605 wrote: »

@topic
    Completely agree

ROFLMAO, The license for this game isn't even up for renewal until 2018 so barring a permanent server crash the game will in fact be very much here in 2 years. Since the game is profitable and CBS gets paid it is in fact a near certainty the license will be renewed, especially with a new Star Trek TV series coming in 2017. Please, remove head from sphincter then think.

not to mention the 50th anniversary of star trek next year, if that doesn't raise the profile of the game with fans nothing will.
    cryptic really need to push the boat out next year and have a large star trek anniversary event that is highly publicised not only on the arc web site but also via social media like twitter, facebook and even release a monumental youtube video to draw in new players and possibly get lapsed players to return.

handled properly next year could make a massive impact to player numbers and income for the game developers, lets hope they make the most of this golden opportunity.

• Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    @iceanglex

If you need to alt-tab to do something else, you are doing it wrong, thats why God invented dual-tripple monitor computer systems. Theres don reason wh a player cant stay active in game these days :)
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    No one forces anyone to do events on STO. The minute you choose to do it, it's on you. THis new version of the Mirror seems very popular. And flame me for loving it if you want because despite the problems with afker's, I still enjoy it.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    It is fine except for some of the forced down times. The initial timer is way too long, they should shorten it and let you go ahead of time as in Borg Disconnected when everyone is there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    My idea is to give a reward based on the time it takes to clear that phase, and then move on to the next task. No need to have people just sit and wait for long periods of time.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    I like it. I would like to see it more often
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    I encountered the same player AFK'ing first in Mirror then doing exactly the same thing in Atmospheric Assualt in the shuttle event which was rather annoying.

The time gate in Mirror needs to be removed and replaced with a close X many portals.
    8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    To be honest, I much prefer the old Mirror event, it was very exciting & simplistic, far better than the current one. 14 daily runs is painful at best. By the 6th day you want to gauge your eyeballs out.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    Well the funny thing is that the Blog announcing the Event said that the Event Map was revamped. Not true, this must have been a Copy/Paste from the first of the new MI after removal of the beloved old Queue.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns