test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

AMD crimson driver - Client crashing

scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
edited November 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
I just updated to the newest amd driver that was released today. Now the client crashes when anything to do with graphics settings is touched. I originally started up the game with VSR on which (i thought) caused it to crash before loading. Turned it off, but resulted in the same crash. Started the game up in safe mode, did fine. Restarted the game without safe mode, loaded up but now all my graphic settings are turned to the lowest. Every time I try to touch a graphic setting ingame now the client crashes.
Post edited by scarling on

Comments

• Options
    oldman47oldman47 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Same thing happening I just updated about 20 minutes ago. Client crashes. Seems Bloom is an issue. I turned everything up, but when I tried Bloom HIGH it crashed. Low it was okay. So hope that helps
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Hmm, seemed for me it was more than touching the bloom settings, but I could be wrong....o well. Glad its not just me atleast. I already went back to 15.7, everything is working fine again. Not sure if I'll try to reinstall or just wait it out for a fix. FO4 sure did look amazing with the new driver :/
    Post edited by scarling on
  • Options
    indydsindyds Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I took the time wile the game was down yesterday and managed to get most settings back.
    For me the game crashes when I use Anti-Aliasing or set Bloom-Quality to high. And as it always was for me, shadows are turned of, dunno if that also would crash the game.

Aside from STO the new driver is pretty good and with the lowered settings here the notebook stay cool'n'quiet here.
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    I came looking for this particular issue and can confirm the same problem. Starting the game as normal with all previous settings in tact caused the client to crash before it reached the character selection screen. Can start in safe mode with no issues, however changing anything on the graphics options screen causes the client to crash again.

All debugging is saying is pointing to an error with atidxx32.dll.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    olievlekjeolievlekje Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    in DX9 or DX9ext it runs fine but if i switch to DX11 with the new crimson driver STO crashes in +_ 5 min and it takes windows with it so i have to reboot.
  • Options
    razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    I also too updated to new driver and it keeps crashing my game moment I load it. Any help please
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • Options
    oldman47oldman47 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    okay heres is how I got it working to tolerable level. Boot Safe mode, open Graphics, don't use sliders. Begin by turning on/off settings to ON. Don't turn on Bloom or Anti-Alaising. Start by turing on selectables low to high. If it crashes, note last thing you did. Restart in safe mode and rinse/repeat, avoiding what last crashed. I can't use Bloom HIGH, or get above AA x4 setting before it crashes.

MSI R9 280gaming 3gb is what I'm running.
  • Options
    I might just wait untill AMD fixes the iusse I suppose instead of messing around too much with settings etc
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • Options
    cabldawgcabldawg Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Happens almost everytime new AMD driver comes out. (not AMD's fault) set the game for directx9, Disable AA in the game client, override the application settings through the AMD game profile settings adjust the AA as desired. Usually will be good to go.
  • Options
    shaneuk80shaneuk80 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    same here game crash with amd crimson
    olpdau6996d.png

• Options
    shaneuk80shaneuk80 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    https://community.amd.com/thread/191845?q=star trek go here and tell them in amd forum guys faster they know the faster we can play
    olpdau6996d.png

• Options
    molen#7916 molen Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Same issue here, hoping it will be fixed soon.
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    In my case, the game loads up to the splash screen (ST:NewDawn) and then crashes.
    Deleted any custom settings in AMD Crimson, but still the same.
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    Tired everything but still broken
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Ditto on this issue. Not using AA or Bloom keeps me from crashing.
  • Options
    philcruickshankphilcruickshank Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Same for me, Come on Cryptic, every time AMD releases a new driver you fail miserable to make sure it's working OK with STO...
    Anyway for the rest of us just go into Device Manager, find your card (it'll be under Display Adapters) right click > properties > click the driver tab at the top and then click roll back driver.
    Sorted.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I can only run the client in safe mode, but still occasionally get CTD when map transferring.

Edit: I rolled back to Catalyst 15.201.1151 and the games runs, but I'm still getting CTD via the GameClient.exe on random map transfers.
    Post edited by arabatur on
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    valeforiusvaleforius Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Can confirm
  • Options
    mkdhmkdh Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Yep, updated AMD-driver and then error gameclient.exe has stopped working...
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    Having this same problem with Crimson. Can't even get safe mode to work atm.

Reinstalling the previous Beta driver now.
  • Options
    Still broken for me:(
  • Options
    amarai38amarai38 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Having the same issue, rolled back the drive and works now. Will have to wait till things get fixed before using the new driver.
  • Options
    jahawn68jahawn68 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    For me turning off Antialiasing on the "Display" tab in STO and setting Postprocessing to Off on the "Graphics" tab allowed me to play the game with the latest AMD drivers.
  • Options
    290x dx11 with shader cache disabled i can start the game, but after +- 10 min my screens go black and pc keeps playing sound but to get video working i have to reboot. so looks like a full failure of video subsystem that windows can`t recover from.

290x dx11 with shader cache enabled normal or amd optimised it crashes on startup and returns to windows.

290x dx9 with shader cache disabled i can run the game for +- 60-90 min before it crashes randomly and returns to windows.

290x dx9 with shader cache enabled it runs for +- 10min before random crash and return to windows

290x dx9 with shader cache on amd optimised it crashes on startup or 10-30 sec after and returns to windows

can play fallout 4 battlefield 3/4 planetside2 gta5 with no problems for hours. on either dx 9/11

Softwareversie Radeon - 15.11
    Software-editie Radeon - Crimson
    Grafische chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Grootte geheugen - 4096 MB
    Geheugentype - GDDR5
    Kernklok - 1000 MHz
    Windows-versie - Windows 10
    Systeemgeheugen - 32 GB
    CPU-type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
  • Options
    jahawn68 wrote: »
    For me turning off Antialiasing on the "Display" tab in STO and setting Postprocessing to Off on the "Graphics" tab allowed me to play the game with the latest AMD drivers.
    I love you! This worked for me perfectly! Its not world but hey! it lets me play untill they fix it

• Options
    chilleulechilleule Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    same issue here, rolled back to catalyst beta 15.11.1, because i didn't want to loose any of my grapic settings.
    don't forget though, that crimson drivers are also still a BETA version.
    i wouldn't blame cryptic for not supporting a beta version :)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    chilleule wrote: »
    same issue here, rolled back to catalyst beta 15.11.1, because i didn't want to loose any of my grapic settings.

They feel like beta but they are not, its now the official current version

• Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    olievlekje wrote: »
    chilleule wrote: »

They feel like beta but they are not, its now the official current version

Chilleule is correct, a hotfix was pushed out on 30/11, so the version is currently beta.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    I am using the Crimson driver with no issues as far as crashing...the driver did not improve my frame rate at all, it remains the same. Still having FPS issues in New Romulus Command, various Delta patrol maps, the new link episode, any map with lots of purple in it, Earth space dock. Not sure why, but AMD cards seem to be hated by Cryptic's engine. All started for me after season 10.5
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    hravik wrote: »
    Ditto on this issue. Not using AA or Bloom keeps me from crashing.

I had this problem too, the fix for me was to disable AA in STO and force AA via the radeon settings. I have AA at max, morphological filtering turned on and everything looks beautiful ingame.