Install Arc

It's time for lockboxship to be accoundwide

2»

Comments

• scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    Scrooge69,

I have my point of view and I express it everytime this topic comes up, which is every week. Cryptic has not increased the price if keys, and are pumping out new ships faster and faster. To say prices are increasing based on items on the exchange ( where prices are set by other players) is not on Cryptic but on us as a player base.

Let me rehash two clear points:

Alts are just that, alternative ways of playing. You should be enjoying the immersion of the game in different ways per each alt. Cryptic has been nice enough to provide ways to level and each alt with less work. If you want each alt to have everything and play them the same, thats now on you and not Cryptic.

Lockbox ships: look my earlier post about Cryptic being a business.

you know what?

I was among ppl openming topics asking for the personal traits to get split to 9 ground and 9 space

I didnt open only 1 but 2 or 3 not sure here

you know what? THEY DID IT

so pls stop talking BS

you basicly say "ÖH stop asking for it and be happy with the game"

BS dude if someth is not how you like it start changing it

you can still say wether oyu liek the idea or not

but stop tellign me what I have to do

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    Scrooge69,

I have my point of view and I express it everytime this topic comes up, which is every week. Cryptic has not increased the price if keys, and are pumping out new ships faster and faster. To say prices are increasing based on items on the exchange ( where prices are set by other players) is not on Cryptic but on us as a player base.

Let me rehash two clear points:

Alts are just that, alternative ways of playing. You should be enjoying the immersion of the game in different ways per each alt. Cryptic has been nice enough to provide ways to level and each alt with less work. If you want each alt to have everything and play them the same, thats now on you and not Cryptic.

Lockbox ships: look my earlier post about Cryptic being a business.

you know what?

I was among ppl openming topics asking for the personal traits to get split to 9 ground and 9 space

I didnt open only 1 but 2 or 3 not sure here

you know what? THEY DID IT

so pls stop talking BS

you basicly say "ÖH stop asking for it and be happy with the game"

BS dude if someth is not how you like it start changing it

you can still say wether oyu liek the idea or not

but stop tellign me what I have to do

trait system is a totally different animal to lockbox ships, if people paid $200+ in zen for extra trait slots you might find that a different story.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Would someone please make a poll that ask ppl do they ever buy duplicate ships for thier Alt characters. Like Lobi or Lockbox ships. I wonder also why cryptic doesn't make lockbox and lobi ships account wide. Does anyone actually buy multiple lobi/lockbox ships for thier alt characters. If they don't then it wouldn't hurt cryptic to make them account wide. If ppl do buy like 5 lobi ship for all thier alts it makes sense not to make them account wide. Honestly I just don't think ppl do it.

P.S. For realz tho. The greed does need toned down a little. Not everyone has a ton of cash to drop on these ships. Plus it would help give cryptic a better bussiness name. The better the reputation the more ppl you will have trying your game. Its a win/win. First and For Most, lets not forget this is a game. When playing a game I think the Fun factor should come first, so I ask myself would this make the game more fun?
    Post edited by hyefather on
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Scrooge69,

In the case of the traits being split you highlighted something where Cryptic realized an area they can increase revenue. If your going to suggest a change to the game it has to benefit Cryptic as well. Not just in metics but also in increase of profits. The suggestion of making lockbox ships account wide removes the chances for thousands of keys being purchased and lockboxes being opened. That is large hit to their bottom line.

Nothing is free, either here or in RL.

Lastly, if you really want to be taken seriously when you submit an idea, it is highly suggested you use spell check prior to hitting the post comment button.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Must be ... Monday.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Scrooge69,

In the case of the traits being split you highlighted something where Cryptic realized an area they can increase revenue. If your going to suggest a change to the game it has to benefit Cryptic as well. Not just in metics but also in increase of profits. The suggestion of making lockbox ships account wide removes the chances for thousands of keys being purchased and lockboxes being opened. That is large hit to their bottom line.

Nothing is free, either here or in RL.

Lastly, if you really want to be taken seriously when you submit an idea, it is highly suggested you use spell check prior to hitting the post comment button.

you are wrong there is a lot free in real life but never the less

if the lockbox ships were accwide unlocks it would make them more valuable and i think MORE ppl woudl actually buy them/ open boxes since its 4 the whole account ;)

also not only becasue of the admirality benefit but also the traits that coem with T6 ships

so it woiuld not hit cryptic in the bottom line as u think but higher thair profit

also u may keep all typos u find for personal use
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Not gonna happen, as lockboxes are one of Cryptic's big moneymakers.

But how much of that is coming from redundant lock box ships? You could have stamped that comment out with the "why doesn't cryptic just hand out a lock box ship as part of a giveaway!" line of threads but I think you'll find that isn't the subject of this one.
    Open lock boxes if you want the ships that bad. Quit asking for free stuff.

You know, the same could have been said for event ships. "If you want it for all your characters just grind your brain into oblivion and lay yourself prostrate at the alter of sub-optimal requisition systems! Quit asking for free stuf!!!" But then we got the account unlocks. Why? Because not only is it nice but it makes the system more valuable. You get an account service (one that's very useful for alts), not just a one-off novelty.

That said, I'll throw out a more significant reason besides "Me big man on internet say no!" for why lock box ships probably won't ever be account unlocks.

It would just make them more common.

That's it. The point of the system is that these ships are so rare (see. lock box odds, lobi requirements) that they don't entirely replace the use of within-faction ships. For all the attention on paid to Jem'hadar dreads and Krenim superweapons, you're going to be lucky not to see a galaxy-x floating around ESD. Make those ships account unlocks and the number of available off-faction ships multiplies by an amount that may be excessive to the original agreement that allowed us access to more alien novelties in STO (see. cryptic's explanation for the Galor class and D'kora.)

Now you might think here: "well we've got plenty of non-fed/kdf/rom event ships. What's the problem with a few more for those that already own them on one character?" The frequency of event ships is much smaller than the frequency of lock box releases (3 a year versus, what, around 5? and this has been going on for a few years), and they aren't exclusively off-faction. So it's a manageable level of "WTF IS EVERYONE DOING IN A KOBALI CRUISER!?!" which, when coupled with a restrictive lock-box system, still makes saucer rockets, bird ships, and...klingon cruisers the primary flavors of choice. With so many more lock box ships available to accounts, account-unlocks might have the force to make faction choice a real problem (ie. in a more definite sense than is weakly advanced now by canon-pedants with little imagination. :P)

So, nice idea, functionally justifiable (I would certainly get a kick out of it), but in context it may not be a good idea.

Cryptic's logic, why make only a possible $10 - $250+ per lockbox ship as an account bind vs making a possible $10 - $250+ per lockbox ship per character?

See the BIG picture why it won't happen?
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

Scrooge69,

I will keep it simple. I have one alt with a galor. If it was an account wide unlock, I have no reason to purchase any more keys. Now with the current method on winning a galor from a lockbox. I will need to purchase 100 keys at a minimum for each alt to win one. I would 900 keys. That is about $600 dollars in RL cash Cryptic would lose out on if they made lockbox ships account wide. I am only using ONE ship as an example.
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited November 2015
    Scrooge69,

I will keep it simple. I have one alt with a galor. If it was an account wide unlock, I have no reason to purchase any more keys. Now with the current method on winning a galor from a lockbox. I will need to purchase 100 keys at a minimum for each alt to win one. I would 900 keys. That is about $600 dollars in RL cash Cryptic would lose out on if they made lockbox ships account wide. I am only using ONE ship as an example.

your argumentation is the same like the film companys "wow we loose SO MUCH MONEY on piracy"
    assuming that if pirate film streams werent online they would all pay the cinema

there are a lot of ppl who would LOVE to have thair lockboxships on all toons for traits or for admirality system...

BUT they aretn gettign ANY ships for thair alts becasue it is too expensice

you see so by makinbg em accwide they wont loose any money cuz no1 is getting 12 galors!!

BUT if it was an accwide unlock im sure ppl would get the one or the other ship because for the 100MIL EC or the 100 opened boxes for the ship they now get it on ALL toons

if yo udont understand this I feel sorry for you cant explain it more simple
    every 6year old can see the logic behind this

and as always u may keep typos you find
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I would begin buying keys with zen and buying lockbox ships for ec if they were account unlocks. As it is they nothing cause I am not paying for single character ships when I have 5 characters.
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    [/quote]
    You don't know how much they would loss... neither do i... simply guessing there aren't much multi lockbox ship owners doesn't work... maybe they make most of their money with exact those customers and thats the reason they don't change it...
    /quote]
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I will say that one of the (few) nice f2p features in SWTOR, is the ability to pay a small fee to unlock lockbox items account-wide.

And it is a small fee (rather than the 5000zen or 300k dil some uber-moneybags above have suggested). Of course, they also have thousands of lockbox items in that game, so those small fees add up.

I agree, SWTOR way of making lots of stuff account wide for a small fee is a nice feature, something i used quite a bit there. Would make a nice addition to STO but would also take a ton of work. Good suggestion. A 1 time fee of say 250-300 zen for a lockbox ship account wide on that kinda system would make cryptic a lot of money.
    edited November 2015
    hyefather wrote: »
    Would someone please make a poll that ask ppl do they ever buy duplicate ships for thier Alt characters. Like Lobi or Lockbox ships. I wonder also why cryptic doesn't make lockbox and lobi ships account wide. Does anyone actually buy multiple lobi/lockbox ships for thier alt characters. If they don't then it wouldn't hurt cryptic to make them account wide. If ppl do buy like 5 lobi ship for all thier alts it makes sense not to make them account wide. Honestly I just don't think ppl do it.

P.S. For realz tho. The greed does need toned down a little. Not everyone has a ton of cash to drop on these ships. Plus it would help give cryptic a better bussiness name. The better the reputation the more ppl you will have trying your game. Its a win/win. First and For Most, lets not forget this is a game. When playing a game I think the Fun factor should come first, so I ask myself would this make the game more fun?

you know there is a big difference between c-store ships and lockbox ships, say I have 3 characters 1 from each faction and I buy a c-store ship I would only be able to use it on one character anyway as they are locked to a faction so unless a player has loads of characters from any one faction which is rare the chances of them making too much of a killing on the deal is slim.

lockbox ships can be used by any faction so a player with say 6, 9, 12 or even 46 characters could have the same lockbox ship on all of them, that's one heck of a lot more copies of the ship that is supposed to be rare to see especially as it is the ships rarity that makes them so attractive in the first place.

there must be no better feeling for a player flying his Quas Flight Deck Cruiser and imagining all the other players looking on in awe of such a rare sight.

not so cool when another player shouts on chat "HAY I'VE GOT 30 OF THOSE!"

that's why they don't come with an account wide unlock
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

Valoreah,

It just goes back to my example, if someone wants more lockboxes ships on each of their alts, that player simply spends more time and/or money to acquire them. They are rare for a reason.
    edited November 2015
    Valoreah,

It just goes back to my example, if someone wants more lockboxes ships on each of their alts, that player simply spends more time and/or money to acquire them. They are rare for a reason.

sure it could be said cryptic will not loose anything buy making them account unlock as it is very rare for a player to have more then one on an account so they wont be loosing money, well there is more to be lost here then money, there is also reputation to be lost.
    many players have spent 100s of $ if not 1000s $ gaining lockbox ships purely because of their rareness, so they can say I own this and there are only TRIBBLE amount in the entire game.
    imagine their dismay when they become account unlocked and suddenly there are 1000s more then there were before.
    not very good for cryptics reputation when the major selling point for lockbox ships is their limited number.

that's why the most precious game items for me are particular items that many other players will not have like certain lifetime only rewards and star trek convention rewards, because of their rarity.

is there any surprise then that one player spent $9,000 to own the Revenant Super Carrier in Eve Online as there was only ever three of them in the entire game.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    For crying out loud - Account Bind on Open. Problem of scores of ships solved. Only one copy at a time. Whatever mechanism they need to remove Tier 5 Traits as it moves to another character and reboxing to move to another character.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited November 2015
    ltminns wrote: »
    For crying out loud - Account Bind on Open. Problem of scores of ships solved. Only one copy at a time. Whatever mechanism they need to remove Tier 5 Traits as it moves to another character and reboxing to move to another character.

For crying out loud - make sure you open the box on the character you want to own the ship, problem solved.
    remember lockbox ships are for life, not just for Christmas.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    I do and I don't care. I was simply advancing a compromise to the foolishness going on here.

Boff Powers should be a complete set like the FE ones and allow the character to create books for other Boffs on the Character.

I am not dazzled by any of this.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited November 2015
    I cant see what the problem is all players know that once you open a lockbox ship that's it, you've made your choice - live with it.

edited November 2015
    Valoreah,

I guve up you r just too *****

I cant see what the problem is all players know that once you open a lockbox ship that's it, you've made your choice - live with it.

you can bribe the police in Mexico way easyer than in germany

every1 knows that so leave it with that

see how **** that is?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    Well the way I see it, account unlock makes me more likely to try and get them and even willing to spend real cash to do so. You end up spending nearly as much or more as you would on a C-Store ship. I also know very few people that spend cash on multiple lockbox ships of the same type for their account. I typically just collect EC to buy them off the exchange but if they're still rare AND they're account unlocks that'll drastically increase their EC value across the board meaning you either spend that much more time in the game (which they obviously want based on the Event setups) OR you spend money to expedite the process.

Not to mention most disappear and people drift back to Faction ships after a few weeks. And it would still be the same amount online at any one time since you can't have multiple characters from a single account on at once, so the number you see flying around wouldn't change.

"there is also reputation to be lost.
    many players have spent 100s of $ if not 1000s $ gaining lockbox ships purely because of their rareness, so they can say I own this and there are only TRIBBLE amount in the entire game."

That's a purely artificial rarity. The more people open the boxes the more of them that there are. You also don't know how many people have any one lockbox ship, its only dependent on how many people are logged into their characters that are using that ship at one time in your instance/zone. If I call everyone with an Annorax Dreadnought to DS9 and 30 people show up in my instance it appears like tons of people have that ship to anyone zoning in...even if in reality there are only 300 of them across 50,000 accounts.

I'm sure the people that spent tons of money to get them will also be happy because they can then have them on all characters without spending another ton of money for any character they want to have that ship. They may also decide to make new characters knowing they don't have to spend a bunch of time/money to get another copy of the ship, thereby leading to character slots being bought and, again, more time spent in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    I agree with OP. They can create a store like they did for winter and summer events for reclaiming.​​
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    the cards of those ships could be

This is the best solution.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg