test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Modeling the Omega

Comments

• Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    BTW: Smaller auxiliary nacelles could be used to modify the warp field to allow for frigate deployment at warp speed (make it temporarily bigger, so that frigates have some room to engage their own warp engines and safely fly away from the ship).
  • Options
    jasonyeefongjasonyeefong Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Carrier has arrived!
  • Options
    bardaekbardaek Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Who cares what it looks like, although I am quite happy with the work on the model you chose that I did not like as the contest progressed. Can I just get my carrier with a real bridge? The Obelisk is annoying and lacks a ready room... you have to have a desk you can sit down at on a fed starship where /facepalm and /doublefacepalm can occur without the crew watching.

You people need to open your wallets so I can deposit my money. Seriously.
  • Options
    zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    I would of found this "designing" better if we the players could choose EACH PART of the ship that was going to become the whole ship. All we did was just choose from pre-made ships that were created by the DEVELOPMENT TEAM. This is just another damn ship by Cryptic, not us.
    :|
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    looks awesome
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    I found it rather funny some of the early concepts were basically Mirandas or Scryers from the top view. And that the final carrier concept happened to basically be a modernized take on the Jupiter (and of course, won).

Glad to see the Omega getting one step closer to joining us. Like another commenter said though; I preferred the flatter Eclipse-style nacelles. The current ones are a little ugly. Here's hoping it releases with the original flat nacelles as an alternate config option.

Now just one of two remaining set options will make this a guaranteed day-1 buy:
    Option 1: Have frigates, a 2ndary deflector, and be a Sci-oriented Carrier

Option 2: Have frigates and be a Tac-oriented carrier

Anything less and it'll become a maybe-buy depending on stats.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    Judging just from the way it looks, I'm starting to suspect that the frigate level pets we may see with this thing will essentially be some kind of..... super-heavy assault fighters. They'll still be relatively small craft, but I imagine with heftier weaponry and maybe some Specialization powers (Pilot tree is a likely suspect here).
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    I'm personally wishing for Elite Phantoms with SS3 and Ionic Turbulence or Elite Pilot ships with Pilot Maneuvers. One can wish.

By default, it would come with a set of Defiant frigates (with the torpedo barrage console used every 2 minutes they're alive and in combat). The Advanced ships would be the Alita/Armitage (with both point-defense consoles and serve as anti-fighter/anti-frigate/anti-HY torp "frigates"). But the Elites would be either Elite Phantoms or Elite Pilot ships.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    Have the stats for this new ship been released yet? It's silly that you have to ask why the Feds need a carrier- there's a reason the Caitian Atrox exists. Of course, a T6 carrier if done well could certainly fill a niche :D
  • Options
    tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Wow, just wow - I like seeing the level detail. Now I cant wait to see this in game.
  • Options
    delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    Hopes it has two hangers and if it does you can have my zen
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    but the eighth was designed with some cues from the Jupiter class in mind.

Rigged. The moment that design made it in... the whole contest was a farce. Nice to know the truth though.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Looks nice. Please have those little engines be optional in the customizer. I like it best with 2 nacells.

I'll give that a +1. Waaay better with 2.

• Options
    tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    That doesn't look like a big ship, looks smaller than an Odyssey.
  • Options
    kadajmkadajm Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I think its a really ugly ship, Its so disproportionate...
  • Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    The moment that design made it in... the whole contest was a farce.

This.

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Now there's a pretty looking carrier.
    U.S.S. Galactica, here I come!
  • Options
    mmorinemmorine Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I have just a few questions, ok, well...... two to be fair

1. is that a Third Hangar bay i see above the Deflector Dish?
    2. Will this ship be able to launch Frigates? ( doesn't even matter if they are only Mirandas or the NX class, would still be cool to have o.o )

Anyways, My name for this ship ( not a Class name, mind you, just one i will name it ), U.S.S. All Under Heaven
  • Options
    acg3269acg3269 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I really hope it's a tactical-engineering carrier. I really get a kick out of the comments asking for it to be science based. You do know the Federation already has a Sci Carrier, right? Granted, it's not tier 6, but there hasn't been an engineering based carrier yet (Yes, I realize the Fed Gal-X has a hanger, but that was an afterthought. It wasn't designed to be a carrier, at least not like the Atrox or the T-5 and T-6 Akira.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boldly going where no one has gone before!
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I didn't really like the initial design that was picked but in that last picture it look gorgeous. That's gotta be one of the most detailed ships I've seen in game.
    I'm not a fan of the smaller secondary nacelles but hopefully it can be like the Prometheus and Eclipse and have them swapped about to match etc.

Now a lot rests on the stats of the thing and it's abilities etc but it does look mighty appealing right now.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    rattraps123rattraps123 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    This looks like the ship from galaxy quest ship.
    Post edited by rattraps123 on
    cSLYSLc.gif
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Thanks for the view into the design process; I always enjoy these articles. I like the design. I thought I saw a bit of NX/Akira in there too. Working on original designs are important to the creative process but it's nice to see continuity and allusions to canon design at the same time.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    You know when I voted for Omega, I thought I was voting it because the lighted areas on its sides were hangars opened to space.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    acg3269 wrote: »
    I really hope it's a tactical-engineering carrier. I really get a kick out of the comments asking for it to be science based. You do know the Federation already has a Sci Carrier, right? Granted, it's not tier 6, but there hasn't been an engineering based carrier yet (Yes, I realize the Fed Gal-X has a hanger, but that was an afterthought. It wasn't designed to be a carrier, at least not like the Atrox or the T-5 and T-6 Akira.)

The Obelisk is actually an Engie-focused carrier.
    And I doubt anyone is trying to say the Gal-X is a carrier, as it seems that dreadnoughts now seem to have a hangar bay tacked on to launch support craft of some kind.

Rigged. The moment that design made it in... the whole contest was a farce. Nice to know the truth though.

It'd be nice if you can toss in some kind of proof to back that up.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    Cool!
    So what is the purpose of the smaller lower nacelles?
    B)
    Well, if we know what quad nacelles are for, maybe we had a bit more of an idea, but as it is, we can only make stuff up.

My favorite is: The secondary nacelles are basically to have more control over the warp field the ship generates, allowing it also to extent the field so that ships can be deployed even at high warp, and the ship can also perform docking maneuvers with considerably more safety and easier procedures at warp than would be normal (where it's a complicated and somewhat dangerous maneuver). The ship might even be able to carry smaller ships like a Nova, Icarus or Defiant in its extended warp field, even though they 'd never fit inside the hangar bays.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User

I still remember saying that the numbers weren't matching in the last vote session and that alpha every hour was losing a few votes at a time, I did some snipping of it for picture references and was told it wasn't rigged, dunno how votes vanish but they did,
    doesn't really matter, I am happy for the Jupiter fans that still think its a Jupiter so they can toss money at cryptic for it, as I said, ill stick with my vesta and blow the new carrier up after doing about 20 laps around it first before it gets its second bay launched.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User

Bah, that's just silly. How else were they to approach it? They took the most sensible road, by far. They put together one design that built on an existing and well-loved design. How could they not? They put together a number of fresh designs to bring new ideas to the table as well. How could they not? Then they opened the selection process up to the community, even. This they certainly didn't have to do, but they chose to make it fun and meaningful. I don't see how they've "rigged" the process at all. I'm not personally fond of the previous Jupiter, and I didn't actually vote for this incarnation either. However I can't even begin to complain about the process that brought it about. I had my vote. So did everyone else. I'm in the minority opinion, and I'm okay with that. I suggest you get okay with it, too. The alternative is just bad feelings and irritation.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    It doesn't make me want to own the carrier as much as it makes me want to sit down with Blender and start cranking out my own ships. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. Blender doesn't have a learning curve so much as a learning cliff.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    sorceror01 wrote: »

It'd be nice if you can toss in some kind of proof to back that up.

Its right there int he quote in my post... where the one design that won, happens to be the design taking cues from the one ship in the game that everyone has had a hard on for since the beginning.

Bah, that's just silly. How else were they to approach it? They took the most sensible road, by far. They put together one design that built on an existing and well-loved design. How could they not? They put together a number of fresh designs to bring new ideas to the table as well. How could they not? Then they opened the selection process up to the community, even. This they certainly didn't have to do, but they chose to make it fun and meaningful. I don't see how they've "rigged" the process at all. I'm not personally fond of the previous Jupiter, and I didn't actually vote for this incarnation either. However I can't even begin to complain about the process that brought it about. I had my vote. So did everyone else. I'm in the minority opinion, and I'm okay with that. I suggest you get okay with it, too. The alternative is just bad feelings and irritation.

How else were they to approach it? By not including a design taking any cues from a ship in the game. By including one design that takes cues from another design in game, (and one design that a great amount of people love), youve automatically biased the results of any contest toward that design, and against any of the others.

If the Jupiter had never existed, and this design won, I would be unhappy but atleast every design would have had its fair chance and I would have felt like my voice actually mattered in the process. With the Jupiter existing however it skews the results and any contest that was had was just going through the motions to get one design done, and anyone who voted for anything other than Omega didnt actually matter in the grand scheme of it.

This feels less like I had a choice in the design and more like the ship team wanted to redo the Jupiter, but didnt have the free time to do it on their own, so they had to get it through other means.

This was a poor contest. Not because my favourite design lost. But because not all of the designs were impartial. One design clearly had a bias. That one design won, not because it was objectively better (not even because it was subjectively better), it won because it was partially based on an earlier ship in game. Thats not how you run a contest. And any contest run that way is rigged. Just as this one was.

7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    conclusiveninjaconclusiveninja Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Yeah... Epsilon was better. Tolerable ship though.
This discussion has been closed.