What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Modeling the Omega

Comments

• Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I like the ship design. The one question that haunts me though is if that ship will be part of a cross-faction bundle. Although there are no proper (2 hangars) carriers for the Romulans...
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    .... the Olympic, ....

The Olympic was based on one of the original concept models for the TOS Enterprise. That model actually appeared on various desks in the show as set decoration, so it's canon origins predate pretty much every ship in Trek. :)
  • Options
    thedarkphenoixthedarkphenoix Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    She is beautiful. As I have said before, the new Jupiter takes all of the good aspects of the old Jupiter Class, fixes everything that was bad, and updates it to the current line of Cryptic style Starships. Fantastic work guys :) can't wait to fly her.
    Original wave Lifetimer and Closed Beta tester.
  • Options
    megraemegrae Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Its okay looking. Not really enthused about its looks one way or the other. I like carriers, and have quite a few, but the pet AI for them is is so stupid, it is a pain. Especially the AI of the new Balthim Raiders for a Vonph. Those things have like 3 meetings before they finally decided to think about slowly moving towards the enemy to attack.

For this one though, I'm not just going to go ohhhh new carrier to collect. I am going to make sure the bridge officer seating and console layout fits how I like to play. Unfortunately I am highly suspecting it won't be anywhere close to what I would like. Lol, the one ship that is the closest to what I like is one I will never be able to acquire. Vonph is close, though, so I use that.

Twilight, Particle Physicist that stole the ship.
    Original Signup date: August 4, 2008
    LTS since Pre-Order
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    .... the Olympic, ....

The Olympic was based on one of the original concept models for the TOS Enterprise. That model actually appeared on various desks in the show as set decoration, so it's canon origins predate pretty much every ship in Trek. :)

And yet, it has a huge spherical forward section, clearly breaking the "tradition" of Trek ships with a saucer.

I am well aware of the design history of both of those vessels. I wasn't touching on that at all.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, bub.

Wrong gender, lad. Not a way to talk to a lady.

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Jupiter class colony cruiser.

Everything you need to take to the gamma quadrent and set up shop without making multiple trips.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    It could more than likely replace the old Jupiter NPC ships, as this one is tellingly marked as "U.S.S. Jupiter".....

You'd think. But sometimes they make decisions that baffle me. So, I feel it's better to let them know now instead of later when I'm still staring at that eyesore in game thinking, "Why don't they just replace this with the new thing?"
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    looks perfect.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    *listens to all the ones who are butthurt about a virtual fake ship that doesn't actually exist* ahhh sweet sweet music

besides that, I love the art and modeling, though I liked the flat looking nacelles much more than the rounded ones its been given.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    :) Aw man, it felt so cool seeing you guys showing off how the modelling process works. I'm just learning about this in college and seeing what you were doing, I could actually picture how it was built and how you would've worked on it.

Oh! Would it be possible for you guys to include the Alpha concept as the future Fleet skin? I'm assuming that if you've got a rough 3D model of the Omega, you might've had a rough 3D model of the Alpha as well. Since both likely could've been the winner.

That being said, it is looking quite swell. Can't wait to see what else she's bringing us. Maybe a redesign of small ships? A Carrier Faction set, with an updated Klingon and Romulan carrier? I'm so excited.
  • Options
    *listens to all the ones who are butthurt about a virtual fake ship that doesn't actually exist* ahhh sweet sweet music

EbeTiISm.jpg
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    give it a few months for a bundle of the quad nacelled varients to sneak in and a carrier bundle mix n match ship sale ;)
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Hmm - I suspect that my little FT5-U Rhode Island would probably fit inside that beast!

"HELM...RAMMING SPEED"
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    It could more than likely replace the old Jupiter NPC ships, as this one is tellingly marked as "U.S.S. Jupiter".....

You'd think. But sometimes they make decisions that baffle me. So, I feel it's better to let them know now instead of later when I'm still staring at that eyesore in game thinking, "Why don't they just replace this with the new thing?"

They have been slowly replacing all the original low-quality NPC-only ships with new ones - the command ships replaced the Typhoon in most places, for example. I suspect the old Jupiter will be gone shortly after this ship is launched.
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    you obviously havent bought your elite fighters from the spire then. also, if you dont deploy, thats why, cause half your dps is off pets.

I'm not an idiot, thanks. I have the sarr theln carrier and multiple other ships with single hangar bays, I have elite level pets for most of them, and have used them extensively, I'm not just complaining for fun. Using pets in this game is a pain in the TRIBBLE, they barely do any damage compared to player ships even when they do keep their weapons lined up. If I want to move to another fight I have to either let my pets slowly fly behind me and then the fight is over before they get there (if they move at all) or I can try and recall them which involves sitting there waiting for them to slowly meander their way over to my ship, on the few occasions where they actually acknowledge the order and don't just ignore it. There are big issues with hangar pets that need to be addressed before any carrier will be worth paying for.
  • Options
    jaturnley wrote: »
    They have been slowly replacing all the original low-quality NPC-only ships with new ones - the command ships replaced the Typhoon in most places, for example. I suspect the old Jupiter will be gone shortly after this ship is launched.

We had the Command cruisers for a good long while before they replaced the Typhoon, and I think they only did that after suggestions on the forums long after the fact. So, yeah. Better to remind them now instead of later.

Something something no longer up to the standards of quality, something something trash old art to make way for the new.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Still not a huge fan of the Saucer design...I'm not big on the shape of it...the new nacelles do looks great though!
    At first I was hesitant. I was a fan of the Alpha. That being said, after seeing this come to life I really really enjoy it.

Same

Bridger.png
  • Options
    banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    they all look the same, grey, round with nacelles.

That's like complaining that all cars look the same. Windows, four wheels, a boot...
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • Options
    rebel230rebel230 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    Size wise, how big is this ship? What in game ship is it comparable to?
  • Options
    I do hope they have a fully functioning hangar deck on the interiors (there are half a dozen in game pick one) you know with a shuttle selector, shuttle customiser and a vanity/trophy section at the back to park your cohcerine warp ship.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Interesting. It looks much better after being fully modeled IMO. The pictures were alright, but didn't really do much for me. I wasn't really interested when this first started, but now I kind of like where this is heading. I'm still not sure if this is something I'd ever fly, but it does look nice.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    captpatrick01captpatrick01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    The ship is lookin' good... Though now and again I wonder why the contest was even necessary given the existence of the ship tailor.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Looks great!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    "What does Starfleet even need a carrier for? Is it for long range multi-system exploration? Catastrophic emergency relief where scores of people and equipment need to be moved ASAP? All those possible use questions/ scenarios were really helpful to determine the design of the ship."

This makes me lol so hard, thanks for reminding us that this is what the VESTA is suppose to be....re-read the books. Aventine had how many runabouts onboard?
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    It looks worse every time I see it
    8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    6b397cc8a0f796035185d29ae15302a41447873966.png

#Team6
    #Team11
    #Team12
    #Team13
    #Team14
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Please tell us there is an option to either remove the lower 'T-Rex arm' lower nacelles or make them bigger. :smile:
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    bridgern wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Still not a huge fan of the Saucer design...I'm not big on the shape of it...the new nacelles do looks great though!
    At first I was hesitant. I was a fan of the Alpha. That being said, after seeing this come to life I really really enjoy it.

Same

Great signature pic! Well done.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

This discussion has been closed.