test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Android Boffs... Breathe?

pappy02upappy02u Member Posts: 141 Arc User
So I have an Android Boff and they need to use respirators and EVA suits. In the movies we've seen Data walk to water and function no problem, and he "Jumped" from the Enterprise to the Scimitar across the vacuum of space. Only reason I bring this up now is I finally got a Photonic Boff and they are unaffected by vacuum and most gases. So I guess my question is does Cryptic plan on adding that part of the photonic lifeform trait to the Android trait?
Post edited by pappy02u on

Comments

• Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Yeah, I really don't see why an android needs to use a respirator. But I believe there is a canon source for the idea that Data couldn't withstand hard vacuum/radiation indefinitely, so EVA suits are still a must. Can't recall the source, though.

I like to give my android BOFF's a Nukara tribble to help mitigate environment damage. Can't say it's all that effective, though.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Its spelled breathe.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Its spelled breathe.

Thanks, it didn't look right. But it was better then my usual breath...breeth...berth... inhale.

I kinda remember something about radiation, but I don't remember anything about hard vacuum. I think the only thing I remember about breathing was that it might be used for cooling... or was that Small Wonder?
  • Options
    jep1416jep1416 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I do seem to recall Data saying something about his breathing having to do with cooling his internal systems or such..so while he can survive in a vacuum at some point he would probably need to 'breathe" again...and toxic air and radiation would be damaging to an androids systems too.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Yeah, I really don't see why an android needs to use a respirator. But I believe there is a canon source for the idea that Data couldn't withstand hard vacuum/radiation indefinitely, so EVA suits are still a must. Can't recall the source, though.

I like to give my android BOFF's a Nukara tribble to help mitigate environment damage. Can't say it's all that effective, though.

Yea, i'm fairly certain I remember hearing a line in TNG (maybe one of the movies) that he could only survive the vacuum of space for a short amount of time.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Crichton did a vacuum jump in Farscape, that doesn't prove or disprove the need to breathe. You can survive for a little while before you pop.

Boff androids might need the intake for an internal combustion engine ;) ... or it could be an oversight by Cryptic.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    svindal777 wrote: »

Yea, i'm fairly certain I remember hearing a line in TNG (maybe one of the movies) that he could only survive the vacuum of space for a short amount of time.

I remember her did mention it, it was from the series.
  • Options
    rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    I don't rember the episode title but it was the TNG Episode with Dr Julian Bashier from DS9 in it.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Small Wonder! I loved that show, i totally had a crush on that girl back in the day.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

IIRC it was due to a plasma fire in one of the cargo bays. might have been the ep with the quantum filament. Geordi and data extinguished the fire by opening the door for a short time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Yea, i'm fairly certain I remember hearing a line in TNG (maybe one of the movies) that he could only survive the vacuum of space for a short amount of time.[/quote]IIRC it was due to a plasma fire in one of the cargo bays. might have been the ep with the quantum filament. Geordi and data extinguished the fire by opening the door for a short time.[/quote]

It was Dr. Crusher and Geordi. That was also the episode where Troi was in command and Worf delivered Chief O'brian's kid... His name escapes me right now. Data stood in an electrical discharge and had to have he head removed by Riker as they moved to engineering to stop a warp core breech.

• Options
    rogerthelegendrogerthelegend Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    cryptic needs o fix this, Androinds shouldnt have to breath
    What if I said, I actually liked Delta Rising
    These are the voyages of The U.S.S. Shadow Serpent, its ongoing mission, to enlist more misfits to its crazy crew, and to boldly destroy what has never been destroyed before
  • Options
    bawdytieflingbawdytiefling Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    As interesting as these notions are, I think the truth is much simpler. Androids were created as boffs before environmental conditions were coded into the game. So, the devs haven't gotten around to updating them. Hopefully, now that personal traits are being updated, boff traits won't be far behind, and they can add immunity to environmental conditions then.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    So Data is inferior to C-3PO? Did not see that coming.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    jep1416 wrote: »
    I do seem to recall Data saying something about his breathing having to do with cooling his internal systems or such..so while he can survive in a vacuum at some point he would probably need to 'breathe" again...and toxic air and radiation would be damaging to an androids systems too.

Agreed. Photonic lifeforms don't have anything that could get damaged by toxic gases, other than their mobile emitter. But androids have a lot of moving parts and circuitry and they mimic breathing. The gases would be able to get inside and damage their systems.

Edit: I believe it was the episode 'Birthright, Part 1' when Dr. Bashir was curious about Data's various functions that allows him to seem more human. I think Data said something along the lines of "Yes. I do have a functional respiration system. However, its purpose is to maintain the thermal control of my internal systems. I am, in fact, capable of functioning for extended periods in a vacuum.".

So at some point an android would need to "breathe" to keep itself from overheating. Being in an EV suit would eliminate the worry of being in toxic environments for extended periods of time, while photonic lifeforms have no internal systems to keep cool.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Mark that was geordi and Beverly I remember it well cause the cargo bay had materials that went boom if the radiation got too high.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The Borg boff should also be vacuum-proof, as per First Contact.
  • Options
    nostalgiamannostalgiaman Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    If you prick them, do they not leak?
  • Options
    rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    yes Birthright I did remember it was a 2 part episode as well but second part was all Worf and first part was mostly Data focused. And thee one where Geordi and Crusher let air out of the Cargo Bay was "Disaster"
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User

IIRC it was due to a plasma fire in one of the cargo bays. might have been the ep with the quantum filament. Geordi and data extinguished the fire by opening the door for a short time.
    That was Geordie an Dr. Crusher who extinguished the fire in the cargo bay, not Data.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Maybe Androids (and Photonics) just wear one so that they don't unintentionally appear smug when in a toxic area?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User

That was Geordie an Dr. Crusher who extinguished the fire in the cargo bay, not Data.

And it was in that plotline that Beverly gave Geordi some monumentally bad advice. You do NOT try to hold your breath if you're about to be in a vacuum.
  • Options
    So then android boffs should follow the immune to most gases part, at least. Not sure if they could add a timer that would allow for "extended" periods in a vacuum.... Does this game even have a vacuum map where your boffs can come along?

Also good point on the borg standing on the outside of the Enterprise in First Contact, but does that apply to fully liberated borg like LTS captains and the store boff?
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Kinda hard to use voice comms when in vacuum.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    pappy02u wrote: »
    So then android boffs should follow the immune to most gases part, at least. Not sure if they could add a timer that would allow for "extended" periods in a vacuum.... Does this game even have a vacuum map where your boffs can come along?
    Not pure vacuum IIRC. But there are places where you have to wear suit or breathing apparatus with boffs due to gas, such as in the Elachi storyline.
    Also good point on the borg standing on the outside of the Enterprise in First Contact, but does that apply to fully liberated borg like LTS captains and the store boff?
    Probably not. I was referring to the fully Borgified boff you get from the STF accolade.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Small Wonder! I loved that show, i totally had a crush on that girl back in the day.

Me, too...

But on-topic, these are not Soong-Type Androids. The Devs were pretty specific about that. What Data can do doesn't really apply to them.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    jslyn wrote: »

But on-topic, these are not Soong-Type Androids. The Devs were pretty specific about that. What Data can do doesn't really apply to them.

So if they aren't Soong-Type then they could not breathe at all and be fully immune to all atmospheric environmental hazards such as gases and vacuum as well as being able to go fully submerged, and if build with proper materials they could be extremely resistant if not immune to corrosives and radiation, like they come with a build in EVA suit.
    Kinda hard to use voice comms when in vacuum.

Yeah but it you directly link to the communication, say like a bluetooth, then an android could just send their voice like an audio file today and never open their mouth.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    And Borg have transmitters in their heads already.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    pappy02u wrote: »
    So if they aren't Soong-Type then they could not breathe at all and be fully immune to all atmospheric environmental hazards such as gases and vacuum as well as being able to go fully submerged, and if build with proper materials they could be extremely resistant if not immune to corrosives and radiation, like they come with a build in EVA suit.

Maybe they used air-based radiators to keep their systems cool.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    But then wouldn't they only be effected by clogged radiators? All gases have a thermal coefficient so they would still cool but maybe not as efficient as non hazardous atmospheres. The composition of the air really wouldn't damage the radiators unless the air contained something that would corrode the cooling system. But then you could also say the air cooling system in the EVA suit is made of the same if not similar materials to an androids air-based cooling system.

Also someone mentioned the circuitry and mechanical systems in an android not present on a mobile emitter. If I remember correctly the emitter is worn by the photonic being not "floating" in their chest or somewhere so then an emitter would be subject to atmospheres that could damage them same as an android's systems.