What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Android Boffs... Breathe?

2»

Comments

• Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    That they are not Soong-type androids is immaterial, really.

Data and his brothers were supposedly the pinnacle of android technology. While it could certainly be true that different androids might function differently, I think it's unlikely that STO would create superior androids and the ability to function in vacuum (and other toxic environments) indefinitely would be a significant advantage.

It's also true that androids already possess significant advantages over other BOFF 'species' and I don't see the devs being too keen on increasing that advantage even more. Especially since they are only available to Veterans, I don't think they would see the effort of reworking the android trait to include invulnerability to environmental effects being cost-effective or balanced.

I'm okay with them as they are, more or less. Would I be happy if they made androids even better? Absolutely! Do I think that they would be balanced against other BOFF species if they did? Doubtful. Or worse, if they nerfed androids somehow to compensate for adding more resistances/immunities I might be very unhappy indeed.

What I would much rather see is to have the Devs add rebreathers to the replicator or to a device store. Them who want their androids to be immune to toxic gases and such can then equip them whenever they like for a modest EC cost. They could even restrict it by unlocking it only for characters who have played through a mission where rebreathers are available.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Boff EV suits are needed in so few places (and none of them multiplayer) that giving androids (or the Borg boff...or the Breen boff that has its own un-removable suit) a pass on suit requirement would hardly be a relevant balance issue.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The Borg boff should also be vacuum-proof, as per First Contact.
    that's harder to pin down, while borg do seem to be able to survive in the vacume of space liberated borg still seem to require an environment suit, in Voyager when a member of species 8472 infiltrated the ship it disabled life support on one of the decks and seven used a suit which seems to indicate she cant survive without oxygen.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    pappy02upappy02u Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    So then saying Soong-type androids are/were the pinnacle means that in the time between "Far point" and 2410 no one tried to develop a better one or just basic improvements that lead to the ones we have?

I mean since our boff's personalities are a product of the scripts in game they seem to be more Lore than Data as they show emotion. Who is to say (well other than Cryptic) that android boff haven't been integrated with newer technology that would give them Exocomp or mobile emitter immunity. As far as A.I. we can pretty much used the EMH MK1 doctor as a model for improved A.I. He shows emotion and the ability to self improve.

that's harder to pin down, while borg do seem to be able to survive in the vacume of space liberated borg still seem to require an environment suit, in Voyager when a member of species 8472 infiltrated the ship it disabled life support on one of the decks and seven used a suit which seems to indicate she cant survive without oxygen.

Ok so fully liberated Borg (captains and store boff) still need EVA suits.

While I will concede that the Devs most likely won't update the android boffs, this is a fun conversation.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The Borg boff should also be vacuum-proof, as per First Contact.

I agree. And as I already said, I was not referring to liberated Borg, but this: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Borg_Science_Bridge_Officer_Candidate
  • Options
    neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    I'd like to add that even if they could survive the vacuum fine, outside of the ship they'd likely need the boots at least.​​
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    pappy02u wrote: »
    So then saying Soong-type androids are/were the pinnacle means that in the time between "Far point" and 2410 no one tried to develop a better one or just basic improvements that lead to the ones we have?

I recall these being TOS Era designs. So fairly outdated.