test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What could STO do for Star Trek's 50th Anniversary?

13»

Comments

• Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    How about a FE where Q pops us through time and we visit key moments in each series
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    galatt wrote: »
    How about a FE where Q pops us through time and we visit key moments in each series

That they might attempt. I wouldn't care, but they might attempt it.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I'd actually like to fill in some of the years between the Launch of Enterprise B and C.

Like to have a server with those era ships. Constitution, Constellation, Excelsior, Miranda, Oberth, Soyuz, and hell toss in the NX as a rebuild for that ear like ours.

But I really like the idea of different time period servers.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »

This is what Cryptic should have done, they could have even include a kitchen sink server like the one we have. But no, they had to stir it all together and muck it up.

It's amazing how limited MMO design is. Other than graphics, no real improvement since the days of Everquest and in fact- fewer options in general these days.

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I'd actually like to fill in some of the years between the Launch of Enterprise B and C.

Like to have a server with those era ships. Constitution, Constellation, Excelsior, Miranda, Oberth, Soyuz, and hell toss in the NX as a rebuild for that ear like ours.

I would loose my mind trying to decide if I want to be on the TOS server or the TOS movie server
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »

I would loose my mind trying to decide if I want to be on the TOS server or the TOS movie server

Indeed. Or the inbetween stage that had the Stargazer and the like. The retirement of the Connies, and the designing of the Ambassador. I'd probably end up there just because there is little to nothing about those years.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    I predict the release of the T6 Odyssey/Bortasqu/Scimitar Flagship 9-pack.

And the only ships to ever feature a Hybrid Universal/Univeral Specialization (UniSpec) seat to make them compatible with current and future specializations. At least, not until T7 where some Hybrid seats will be turned Hybrid UniSpec in order to keep things "fresh" (rehashed with a few new extras).

All 3 will have their LtCmdr and Ensign Universals upgraded to Hybrid Universal/UniSpec.

Odyssey will get it's Lt. Sci upgraded to LtCmdr Sci for its 13th seat.
    Bortas will get it's Lt. Tac upgraded to LtCmdr Tac for its 13th seat.
    Scimitar will get it's Lt. Eng upgraded to LtCmdr Eng for its 13th seat.

Odyssey upgrades:
    - Will be able to use both Cheveron Separation and Aquarius Separation at the same time and their scripting behavior is improved.
    - Will gain a single Hangar.
    - will gain a new skin or two.

Bortas Upgrades:
    - Will get a better turn rate in order to take advantage of its Disruptor Autocannon.
    - Will gain a single hangar.
    - Will gain a new skin or two.

Scimitar Upgrades:
    - May get one new skin set (updated Leahval skin could work).
    - Thalaron Pulse will have its charge time reduced to 5-7 seconds (on par with Tarantula's Web Cannon and S'Golth's Disruptor Wave Cannon).
    - Unlikely to change much in its stats from T5U due to the T5U versions still being plenty capable in the current meta.

Beyond that, I expect a possible cameo of Picard or Kirk or both via some Temporal magitech as well as cameos of other famous ship commanders and crew.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    The ribbon from Generations. It said that if you go in there you leave a part of yourself inside. Perfect way to intro Kirk and Picard.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Maybe CBS will finally let Cryptic give us end game versions of pre-TnG ships, especially the Connie. The only pre-TnG ship we have for end game is the T5 and T6 Excelsior.

*runs off a cliff laughing maniacally* :D

Edit: *lands in a pool full of jello* Damn!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »

But they did pull from them. We got a whole story line with DS9 and that region of space. All of last season was spent in the Delta Quadrant. There have been a few elements pulled from ENT. Q is from TNG...hell even Nimbus 3 is from Star Trek 5.

Why should a ship that is over 100 years old be comparible to ships being built now? If a war breaks out can the US send a few wooden ships to fight with the same abilities as a modern destroyer?

I have two words for you: Red Matter Capacitor...

isn't that three words?

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Wait, who said Rebirth?

pig-1.gifpig-4.gifpig-1.gif

Last time I couldn't log into Rebirth, I hope it'll work then, it would be a very well received anniversary trip pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Wait, who said Rebirth?

Last time I couldn't log into Rebirth, I hope it'll work then, it would be a very well received anniversary trip pig-1.gif​​

I had to go look this up.

I remember the Rebirth blog, but I had no idea they actually ran a launch build event... I thought it was just a joke. :/
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    capnmanx wrote: »

I remember the Rebirth blog, but I had no idea they actually ran a launch build event... I thought it was just a joke. :/

I think it actually was there, trying to log-in into the launch build I received an error though. That might also be a authentic launch experience, but it was still disappointing pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Able to use TOS skins on every ship regardless of the ship as long as its part of the faction, Fed only get the TOS Enterprise skin, Rom get the TOS warbird and KDF gets the TOS D7. For example if I had the TOS Enterprise skin I can use it on any of the Fed ships I have, all of them T1-T6 to include fleet versions. Same for the Romulan and Klingons with thier skins.

I just love the old ship's, they are the best looking ships in the game.!
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    To be clear, do you mean you want every ship to get a faction specific TOS makeover, or that you want to be able to (for example) replace any Fed ship model with the TOS Connie?
  • Options
    To be clear, do you mean you want every ship to get a faction specific TOS makeover, or that you want to be able to (for example) replace any Fed ship model with the TOS Connie?

I think he meant more the skin look. Kind of like the upgraded skin look you can do on ships if you get the upgraded zen one. Least that's my guess.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    I agree a Generations themed event would be a lot of fun. Drag us into the Nexus alongside all seven Enterprises to confront an epic threat of enemies from canon history - Khan, Chang, Admiral Leeta... all assimilated by the Borg! Boom! Cut! Print it!
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    I’d put my money on something like the Delta Recruit event – something to draw in new players off the back of the 2016 movie, anniversary and hype around the new series. Sure, Star Wars will dominate the end of 2015, but it looks like the Trek focus is going to be from the new movie (mid-2016) until the new series at the start of 2017. So there’s room for both, I think.

As to other bits of wishlisting…?

I’m with the many other voices wanting a TOS-themed FE, one where we get to team up with the original Enterprise . Kirk’s crew were greatly respected by the Klingons and went on to save the Chancellor’s life, so it would work well as a cross-faction episode. Shatner may be unaffordable, but the other remaining members of the 1960s cast have all given their time to fan-films; it’d be great to have them as voice actors.

Going slightly more left of field, how about a couple of Tier 1 starship-only queues? All of the mechanisms are in place - with loadouts and quick ship switching, it would be no more off-kilter than the existing shuttle missions. We’ve even seen T1 ships given a specific role in the Admiralty system. Of course, Cryptic would need to introduce a “proper” D7 as a Klingon T1 ship, but that isn’t exactly difficult – they could include wide-angle Disruptor DHCs with TOS sound effects. The Romulans already have the classic BoP at T1, and it would also support the fans of Enterprise by allowing the NX to be used (yes, there are a few of us out there…).

Really, with the exception of voice acting, the ingredients for all the above are already in-game; TOS uniforms and gear for all factions, a full interior for the Constitution class, 23rd century scenery from the Devidian arc, models for the ships of all 3 factions.
  • Options
    Well, seems there is some support for a nostalgia trip of one kind or another. Hope Cryptic feels the same way (and that their plans involve old style ships of some type).
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Wait, who said Rebirth?

Yep, it was real. Kinda nifty to play through the old tutorial again. :)
  • Options
    imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Maybe a day/week where we have the option of scaling back to around level 5 or so (with level 5 versions of queues) in order to have some fun in our T1 Constitutions, NXs, bops, and T'varos?

Kind of like we have the option of scaling back or forward to level X in a team, where X is the level of the team leader.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Something to do with the Talosians? They were the first "Alien" to appear. ( I think - not including Spock.)

Maybe a mission where we end up stranded on Talos IV for a brief time until someone comes to our aid?

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    captainknight88captainknight88 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    T-6 TOS Starship give away or reward for finishing TOS 50th Anni mission for all factions, with more detailed skins true to canon looks, add 5 fore / 3 aft weapon slots and all universal higher rank Bridge Officer slots so we can make it tac, eng, or sci ship, plus 4 tac, 4 eng, 4 sci with Battle cloak, 3x or 4x accu and 3x or 4x damage beams and torpedoes, maybe can load dual cannons or red matter device. For Fed, KDF, and Rom faction ships and do not forget same class mix and match skin parts. Special one time build!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    I think if anything good is going to come out of STO for the 50th anniversary, then it will (and probably should) come from the foundry. It's the fans that keep Star Trek alive, so let's get on with it! <3
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    yukonsam wrote: »
    The timeline falls apart and we're plunged into the Abramsverse. On the plus side, we all get to beat up NuKirk until he stops smirking.

I would be too busy hitting on the way hotter Caitian chicks

No caitians have yet shown up in the AR films.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    Yes. Rebirth 2.0
  • Options
    sadorsador Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    beameddown wrote: »
    *blah blah blah Craptic is a bunch of munny grubbing TRIBBLE who wouldn't know fun if it bit them in the face blah blah blah*
    *blech* There's always one...

My, aren't we a jaundiced cynical hipster in need of a cause.

In point of fact, Cryptic does a fine job with the game given it's history before it got dumped in their laps. And they've demonstrated, on multiple occasions, that they are fairly large fans of the show and giant nerds to boot.