test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek The New Series - What do you want to see?

Comments

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are angry at Kurtzman already just for existing/being affiliated with this series, but here is how it could work in favor of what I personally would be looking for.

I would like it ideally to track with Deep Space Nine in terms of its approach to plot (fully serialized) and tone.

DS9 in my opinion struck the right balance between optimism and realism. Unlike the overly idealistic and preachy TNG, and ALSO unlike a lot of today's Crapsack World shows where there is no hope and no morality whatsoever, DS9 did a great job of showing both the darkness and the light. Both people's demons and the better angels of their nature were on full display. You could call it tempered optimism: things will work out in the end, but the road to getting there is not always going to be easy and sometimes humans are...still human.

As I've said in other places, I think that the aftereffects of the Borg and Dominion attacks in such quick succession will have led to irrevocable changes to the Federation and Starfleet...and that's one of the things that, despite the exaggeration required for the game environment, I like about STO. No, this is not your father's Starfleet, and it shouldn't be. The Federation has been scarred by the devastating and sustained campaigns and has learned that they can never again be caught flatfooted and naive to their enemies' intentions. The TNG iteration of Starfleet was so ridiculous that in "Yesterday's Enterprise," we see it clearly intended by the show's producers as some horrible moment intended to give sensitive viewers the vapors, when Riker blatantly asks to know the number and type of ENEMY VESSELS. Uh...it's a war. The Klingons are the enemy. This should not be some horrible, offensive thing to say. Yet if you watch that episode, it would fit in very well with DS9 or with STO, because that, again, is another continuity showing what the effects of the long-term war would be on Starfleet. (And I personally cheered when AU Picard let rip on the Klingons at the end of that episode.)

Consider who would be in command if we skip ahead in the future, and who is in command in STO: aside from the cadets on the accelerated command track, the upper admiralty is likely going to be Dominion War veterans. These are not people who will brush aside or ignore threats, or will be interested in letting Starfleet become weak again or fail to develop strong defensive technology, and even if they have resources diverted away from them by idealistic politicians, will probably figure out how to milk all that they are given.

I would also point out, without going too deep into it, that the public as a whole has changed, and we just aren't going to see that same degree of idealism as we saw in TNG, and if they try to replicate that, it would be a huge mistake. (Heck, even in ENT you see indications of that.) That's why, for all the talk of darkness I have above, I think DS9 will be about the right balance. Trek DOES have a good dose of idealism. A Crapsack World would be completely out of step. But DS9 holds up today because it is not blindingly naive. If they strike about that tone, it'll work, I think.

I actually suspect I have a shot of getting what I want in that regard because, trash him all you want, but Kurtzman HAS dealt with a version of the Trek universe that suffered severe trauma on that same level except in the 23rd century. And it did irrevocably change Starfleet. So, I think if the show is set after DS9, he's likely to be cognizant of that fact. But even the JJverse they still tried to maintain some sense of their ideals, even if the plots didn't always come off onscreen as well as I would have liked to see.

As for my other "want" for the series...I know this is almost literally on the level of window dressing, but I'd like to see the music not be totally bland musical wallpaper as was actually ordered by Roddenberry. If the music is good, I will buy the CD too. I would like to see something on the quality level of Ron Jones' Best of Both Worlds score, not the utterly bland nod to that same score you hear on DS9's "Emissary" soundtrack (God, that piece was a disappointment). Given that Kurtzman may have had dealings with Michael Giacchino, even though I doubt we'd see Giacchino take on a movie score, I suspect that Kurtzman won't be afraid of letting the music for the show actually be good.

I doubt we'll be getting Bear McCreary (his style to me seems different from Trek though that's the caliber I want to see), but I'd like to have an actual score to the episodes and not a few bland chords drifting about.

I could get behind this. I just want to see something new. I hope they throw out the story playbook that TNG, DS9 and Voy used over and over again...no more Holodecks coming to life, no more character wakes up in an asylum to find out all the missions was a dream/insanity, no more planets with societies based on ancient Earth eras.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I could get behind this. I just want to see something new. I hope they throw out the story playbook that TNG, DS9 and Voy used over and over again...no more Holodecks coming to life, no more character wakes up in an asylum to find out all the missions was a dream/insanity, no more planets with societies based on ancient Earth eras

Perhaps less episodes per season and more focus on quality?
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    I could get behind this. I just want to see something new. I hope they throw out the story playbook that TNG, DS9 and Voy used over and over again...no more Holodecks coming to life, no more character wakes up in an asylum to find out all the missions was a dream/insanity, no more planets with societies based on ancient Earth eras

Perhaps less episodes per season and more focus on quality?

Just focus on quality. Less episodes doesn't really guarantee better quality.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    Do as the film makers (any anyone who lives in the real world) and...

There is no need to insult myself or the many others that feel the way I do.
    I am just going to agree to disagree, I have talked about this with so many people and all these topics keep going down pointless roads. It is here to stay now.

It's not an insult. It's a plea for realism. If you want your cardboard sets go get your TOS blue-rays if you want modern looking aesthetics accept that's what's happening.

It's not an insult to think people are stuck so far up their own nostalgia that they can't see the wood for the trees and don't even bother giving new things a chance.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »

It's not an insult to think people are stuck so far up their own nostalgia that they can't see the wood for the trees and don't even bother giving new things a chance.​​

If so many Trekkies would understand this they would be so much happier
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    That was one thing about the JJverse: that may have been an iShip Kirk was flying, but I could actually see that as a future bridge, just as I could see the ENT bridge as a connection between current technology and what would come after it.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    That was one thing about the JJverse: that may have been an iShip Kirk was flying, but I could actually see that as a future bridge, just as I could see the ENT bridge as a connection between current technology and what would come after it.

I am a TOS fan. My favorite ships are the Connie, Connie refit and the Sovy. I love that reboot ship. IMO it's the perfect blend of the TOS Connie and the refit. The day they put that ship in the game will be the day I go broke from spending so much money on it
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options

I am a TOS fan. My favorite ships are the Connie, Connie refit and the Sovy. I love that reboot ship. IMO it's the perfect blend of the TOS Connie and the refit. The day they put that ship in the game will be the day I go broke from spending so much money on it

For me, out of the Federation starships, it was the Sovereign that really took my breath away in the theater, the way I know a lot of people felt when they first saw the Connie refit. I even bought a Trek-themed pillow this year at a con specifically because the fabric pattern included the Sovereign.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options

For me, out of the Federation starships, it was the Sovereign that really took my breath away in the theater, the way I know a lot of people felt when they first saw the Connie refit. I even bought a Trek-themed pillow this year at a con specifically because the fabric pattern included the Sovereign.

I know I am going to get hate for this but I really didn't like the Galaxy. So when the Sovereign came on the screen I was happy too
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I am not saying that the JJ films shouldnt have updated the look, even tough in my opinion they went a little too far with the redesign.
    What I am saying is that I dont think the Kelvin looks like a natural evolution between the NX and TOS Conie. And because I know something of ship design and function that becomes magnified for me to the point where I see the JJ ships as more of a spoof than a redesign of the original styles.
    Essentially I am saying that if you reboot/refresh something, go for it, just don't go crazy or over-the-top, try to please all the fans including the nastalgic ones instead of just hampering to the newer audiences.

That being said: the storys for both films were awful, just awful... DEBATE :smirk:

In all seriousness, it is clear there is a clear line between Trekkers and Trekkies that has been turned into a neutral zone, (Pun intended). Is this JJ's and Paramounts legacy?
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    I am not saying that the JJ films shouldnt have updated the look, even tough in my opinion they went a little too far with the redesign.
    What I am saying is that I dont think the Kelvin looks like a natural evolution between the NX and TOS Conie. And because I know something of ship design and function that becomes magnified for me to the point where I see the JJ ships as more of a spoof than a redesign of the original styles.
    Essentially I am saying that if you reboot/refresh something, go for it, just don't go crazy or over-the-top, try to please all the fans including the nastalgic ones instead of just hampering to the newer audiences.

In retrospec (pun intended), The Kelvin in my eyes was a disastor, it was more star wars than star trek. The Enterprise just needed that little bit of toning down.

That being said: the storys for both films were awful, just awful... DEBATE :smirk:

In what way was the Kelvin more Star Wars than Star Trek????
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    In what way was the Kelvin more Star Wars than Star Trek????

I deleted that bit on purpose, wanted to try and steer this debate from about ships and into the legacy of the studios and the possible future. Ultimatly arrivng back at the purpose of this thread; What do we as fans of this franchise want from a TV Show now?

[In all seriousness, it is clear there is a clear line between Trekkers and Trekkies that has been turned into a neutral zone, (Pun intended). Is this JJ's and Paramounts legacy?]
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Personally, if this is going to be set in the prime universe, then I'd prefer it to be set far in the future from TNG, DS9 and Voyager. It's ok to have references/subtle nods back to them, but I personally would want it to be as different as possible.​​

So a TOS>TNG thing going on? Thats a popular idea amongst people, that or straight after ST Nemesis.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    Personally, if this is going to be set in the prime universe, then I'd prefer it to be set far in the future from TNG, DS9 and Voyager. It's ok to have references/subtle nods back to them, but I personally would want it to be as different as possible.​​

I agree with this.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    In all seriousness, it is clear there is a clear line between Trekkers and Trekkies that has been turned into a neutral zone, (Pun intended). Is this JJ's and Paramounts legacy?

It doesn't make me a lesser fan because I can see the good in both. That kind of infighting is not JJ's fault, like it is with some fandoms where (for example) band members are actively hating on each other and the fans "inherited" the same sickness. Honest disagreement over his stuff is one thing. But the level of the vitriol is purely self-inflicted by the fandom.

• Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    What everyone wants to see is a new series about Tovan Khev and Epohh Girl saving the galaxy in their cool new Iconian ship. :p
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    velqua wrote: »
    What everyone wants to see is a new series about Tovan Khev and Epohh Girl saving the galaxy in their cool new Iconian ship. :p
    But Tovan doesn't have an Iconian ship - he's only a Commander, and doesn't get a ship that advanced yet. (Made me a little sad when I missed out on that free Ar'kif tactical carrier...) Currently, he's commanding RRW Tovan Khev V, a D'deridex-class warbird.

Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    I'd like to see the Odyssey uniforms used in the series. Craptic lets CBS use the Odyssey uniforms, CBS lets Craptic have an endgame Connie. Nice trade, no? :)
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    Anything that isn't related to the Federation and humanity.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    TBH I woldn't want to touch on "Star Trek: Nemesis" at all. The movie was a flop.

At least to me, yes, a TOS > TNG type timeframe would work best. Set this one in the late 25th to early 26th century and leave the TNG/DS9/VOY era behind to start fresh.​​

Yes, give us the Enterprise-G.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

It doesn't, because it isn't meant to be. The Kelvin is an intermediate step in between the NX and the AR Conni, not the TOS one.

I don't even like the AR Conni, it's far too thick in places and I dislike the style of the nacelles, that, maybe, looks like a exaggeration of an original style. The Kelvin, not at all.

Do you want the series to be successfully and make money to keep your franchise alive? If yes that forget the cardboard sets and plodding pace. New film styles are here to stay because that's how modern audiences like their films. Seldom is anything made in the mass market for anyone other than the current generation.

No they weren't. And they were nowhere near as bad as ST:FF or most of TOS or VOY.
    I dunno which I am and I don't care, I'm a fan of Star Trek, all of it, even the bits I don't like.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well, if it was just my choice, I would really like to see the aftermath of the Dominion war and seeing the effort in rebuilding what was destroyed. But I think that might be too specific, too self-referencing for a new show that is to attract new viewers.

The other thing I'd really like to see would be a new exploration mission - maybe in a different galaxy. We can take all the familiar stuff with us aboard a giant ship or a fleet of ships even, but we meet something completely new.
    But I am not sure that's a great idea for gaining new viewers, either, because if there is too much pure sci-fi (fancy aliens and weird creatures) stuff, it might feel too esoteric.
    I doubt we'll be getting Bear McCreary (his style to me seems different from Trek though that's the caliber I want to see), but I'd like to have an actual score to the episodes and not a few bland chords drifting about.
    Bear McCreary for the win. Maybe his style would be good for Trek - or he expands his own style.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    Given that it's CBS and not Paramount, I'm guessing it's going to be Prime universe, despite Kurtzman's involvement, due to copyright issues between the two companies.

Assuming that's the case, there are three major areas that are left wide open with massive amounts of potential: Earth-Romulan War (post Ent/pre-TOS); Age of Expansion/Cardassian Border Wars (post-TOS movies/pre-TNG); and Path to 2409 (post Nemesis/pre-STO). There is also the STO timeline, but considering that the press release made no mention of Cryptic/PWE's involvement, I find that highly unlikely... although, IMO, it would be horrendously cool!

As far as what I'd prefer? I'm not sure. I think the Earth-Romulan War would be very exciting, but the Age of Expansion has sooooo much potential for exploration and discovery.
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I'd like to see a story set in the universe where Picard was born, not in the one where the only tv continuity retained is Captain Archer and his dog.

I'd like to see a relatively small ship. The Enterprise-D was just too big; the stories the shows tell inevitably involves the main characters going on every away mission, but with 1000 people on board, why would you send your Chief Engineer, or your Chief Medical Officer, when any medic would do? (We really should have seen more of Dr. Selar, for a lot of reasons). Voyager & Enterprise were more realistic on that score, but something Defiant-sized would be even better.

I would like the story to be set in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants, just on the other side of a major power. Who stops the Klingons "eastward" expansion? There must be interesting things just nearby, right outside of the Federation's sphere of influence. Powers that they only know of through rumor. The galaxy is enormous, and only a small part has been explored by the shows so far. The last thing I want to hear is that the new show will go to a different galaxy; we don't need a Dr. Who or Stargate style small universe.

I want a Romulan captain. I know it has to be human, I know, but still...

I wouldn't mind certain actors reprising their roles on a limited basis, but the only one I would want to see full-time is Worf, and only then not as Captain and even then only if the story is ultimately about his death. Some characters can slowly fade away, but some need an ending and Worf's story needs to end with an honorable on-screen death. The character demands it.

[Edit] Oh, and I also want to see that the people making it are actual fans of the product, and care that the end result is true to what has come before. I said it in another thread, but the presence of Manny Coto or the Okudas would do a lot to ease my worries about what this new content would do to the universe as a whole. I am also available to work as a consultant, by the way. [/edit]
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    In my opinion it would be nice to return to an episodic format. The continuing storylines of Voyager and Enterprise and the latter part of TNG and DS9 made it difficult for me to keep up. My work has me running all over and I often miss television shows. The seasonal storylines make it difficult for me to view an episode because most of the time I spend wondering what the hell is going on. In syndication, this format is more successful as well, because each episode is a stand-alone, and if you catch the 10PM airing once in a while you are not confused about the plot, having missed last week's episode.

TOS, and early TNG and DS9 had it right: have each episode be a unique tale of its own rather than a chapter in the longer saga.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    brian334 wrote: »
    In my opinion it would be nice to return to an episodic format. The continuing storylines of Voyager and Enterprise and the latter part of TNG and DS9 made it difficult for me to keep up. My work has me running all over and I often miss television shows. The seasonal storylines make it difficult for me to view an episode because most of the time I spend wondering what the hell is going on. In syndication, this format is more successful as well, because each episode is a stand-alone, and if you catch the 10PM airing once in a while you are not confused about the plot, having missed last week's episode.

TOS, and early TNG and DS9 had it right: have each episode be a unique tale of its own rather than a chapter in the longer saga.

It will be online. You'll be able to watch at your speed....binge it all in one sitting or one episode at a time
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    It will be online. You'll be able to watch at your speed....binge it all in one sitting or one episode at a time

Even streaming, I bet they release this one episode a week (I haven't seen news either way, so I may already have been proven wrong). Yahoo still uses that for their shows (Community & Other Space, at least (both highly recommended)). Networks don't shake old habits easily, and I'm not sure that this type of show would benefit from that format anyway. If it was super-serial, maybe, but that seems pretty far afield from what you'd expect from a Star Trek series. On the gripping hand, who can even tell? The world is topsy-turvy.

Now I'm questioning whether Other Space was weekly or not. I think I watched it all at once. Whatever, I stand by my recommendation and my prediction.
  • Options

Even streaming, I bet they release this one episode a week (I haven't seen news either way, so I may already have been proven wrong). Yahoo still uses that for their shows (Community & Other Space, at least (both highly recommended)). Networks don't shake old habits easily, and I'm not sure that this type of show would benefit from that format anyway. If it was super-serial, maybe, but that seems pretty far afield from what you'd expect from a Star Trek series. On the gripping hand, who can even tell? The world is topsy-turvy.

Now I'm questioning whether Other Space was weekly or not. I think I watched it all at once. Whatever, I stand by my recommendation and my prediction.

I'm not sure super-serial IS that far afield for Trek anymore. DS9 was breaking ground on that back in the 90's though they didn't go all the way. ENT in its last season especially pushed it even further than DS9 did. And now that the regular networks have gone all-out in that direction, my suspicion is that it WILL be super-serial and that missing an episode will be a big problem for anyone wanting to follow the story. To me, I think that with TV trends such as they are, this is the most realistic expectation.