test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the deal with the price of Ejection System components?

I'm just trying to understand the market a little better here, because it seems to me that ejection systems (the components) are underpriced and have been for a while.

Here is the equation I'm using:

[cost to make 1 ejection system]=([price of rubidium]*2+[price of beta-tachyon]*3)/(1+2*[crit rate])

At current exchange prices and a crit rate of 28% (purple fabrication engineers and lvl 20 engineering), the cost to produce one ejection system is 15,705 ec, and the price on the exchange is 7900.

This isn't just a minor fluctuation - it's been like this for a while, and I've only noticed it on this component. Even as the price of materials has dropped, the price of ejections systems has dropped as well to stay below the cost of making them.

So someone out there is making these for a loss? And has been for months? Why?

Here are some possibilities of what's up, but I don't think they're right:

1. My equation is wrong. Totally possible, but I wouldn't be the one to notice.
2. Someone has a better crit rate than me, but a) purple doffs and lvl 20 should be the highest crit rate, and b) to explain the entire difference, someone would need a crit rate over 100% just to break even.
3. There is some source of ejection systems out there (like RnD packs) that is cheaper, but for some reason it doesn't make other components cheaper.
4. People are just silly selling components that cheap, and have been for months now. For some reason, they're not silly on other components.

Am I missing something here?

Comments

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Not really a loss for say, as they can be obtained quite easily thru other means outside of actually crafting them!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• macready08macready08 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Yes like i posted in another thread there is a huge exploit with r&d mats and components that is why there are 50 to 60 999 stacks of every blue and purple material. People on here will claim that its 60 people listing 999 stacks at the exact same price or its easy to farm 60 thousand of each material and component just by events or you will even hear people say i spend a ton of money on r&d boxes from zen store. So you seem like a guy thats good at math. Use your math skills and calculate how many stfs and r&d boxes you would have to open and play to generate the crazy amount of r&d TRIBBLE thats out there. I will tell you that the reason their are so many components in 999 stacks more listings of 999 stacks then singles in some cases listed for less then the price of 1 of the materials to make it is simple A MASSIVE R&D EXPLOIT. Cryptic eliminated 1 of the exploits about a month ago. and it seems they have removed the r&d mats from doff missions wich people were exploiting on multiple toons with multiple accounts. i just saw they raised the level to 20 to accept the delta recruits rewards wich is where i believe alot of the components were coming from. So we will see but it doesnt take a math genius or a rocket scientist to tell the reason someone is selling components by the hundreds of thousands a week cheaper then you can make them is simple its an exploit.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,645 Arc User
    Ignoring the conspiracy theory, it's probably from R&D boxes (100 per Jem'Hadar ship), Request R&D assistance, other rewards (Delta for non-Delta alts?).
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    It's no theory. It's a terrible situation, really. I hope it doesn't take too many years for the market to recover.
    /channel_join grind
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    Ignoring the conspiracy theory, it's probably from R&D boxes (100 per Jem'Hadar ship), Request R&D assistance, other rewards (Delta for non-Delta alts?).

I thought of that, but why only for ejection systems and not for, say, rerouting lattices?
    Not really a loss for say, as they can be obtained quite easily thru other means outside of actually crafting them!

Like where? Where can ejection systems be obtained really easily?
    alex284 wrote: »

I thought of that, but why only for ejection systems and not for, say, rerouting lattices?

Like where? Where can ejection systems be obtained really easily?

Ummm, they can be obtained normally thru the request R&D assistance, but also I believe from another location just cannot remeber where exactly off hand, meaning whether it was from an event or doffing!

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    macready08 wrote: »
    it seems they have removed the r&d mats from doff missions which people were exploiting on multiple toons with multiple accounts.

Lol, not sure how this is an exploit since I have 7 toons in this account and could just kick off the doff mats assignments on all of them which is normal gameplay. You seem to think people have a lot of accounts to play this game. Yes, some still do (I know someone in PvP that keeps somehow getting banned in these forums), but the incentive to do so has been severely cut down.

By the way, if rare components are that much cheaper than materials, then I'd say try profiting from using them to make superior upgrades. Problem solved.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    I find that my R&D DOffs routinely generate multiples of the Ejection System when crafting; perhaps this contributes to the lower actual cost than the OP's original calculation?
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    So someone out there is making these for a loss? And has been for months? Why?
    Yes, yes they are. I've been playing for 5 months now and as long as I have most of the components have been selling for less than it costs to buy materials to make them. Comes down to people not looking at it as a "business". They'd rather spend hours grinding away and then convince themselves they got all the materials for "free" and thus don't care what they sell things for. It's good though. I've been stocking up on a bunch of cheap things.

• g0rb4gg0rb4g Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    Don't forget the Delta recruit account awards. I've created a few new characters recently and got multiple very rare components from the R&D account unlocks. I actually craft stuff on my main character, but for those that don't they will likely just sell them.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Cryptic eliminated 1 of the exploits about a month ago. and it seems they have removed the r&d mats from doff missions wich people were exploiting on multiple toons with multiple accounts. i just saw they raised the level to 20 to accept the delta recruits rewards wich is where i believe alot of the components were coming from. So we will see but it doesnt take a math genius or a rocket scientist to tell the reason someone is selling components by the hundreds of thousands a week cheaper then you can make them is simple its an exploit.

Ffs, there is no exploit. People simply run the R&D mat scan missions regularly while playing. And yes some people do that on multiple characters because they have them and can. Just because you don't doesn't make it an exploit.

Aslo the disappearance of those scan missions were unintentional and Bort is already looking into brining them back.

Take off the tinfoil hat, it doens't look good on you.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    ilithyn wrote: »
    Cryptic eliminated 1 of the exploits about a month ago. and it seems they have removed the r&d mats from doff missions wich people were exploiting on multiple toons with multiple accounts. i just saw they raised the level to 20 to accept the delta recruits rewards wich is where i believe alot of the components were coming from. So we will see but it doesnt take a math genius or a rocket scientist to tell the reason someone is selling components by the hundreds of thousands a week cheaper then you can make them is simple its an exploit.

Ffs, there is no exploit. People simply run the R&D mat scan missions regularly while playing. And yes some people do that on multiple characters because they have them and can. Just because you don't doesn't make it an exploit.

Aslo the disappearance of those scan missions were unintentional and Bort is already looking into brining them back.

Gotta agree with this, since when did having multiple characters become an exploit?
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Don't you know? If another player does sometimg better then another player it is an exploit. If the devs change something the player base did not ask for it is a nerf!!

I do believe you are required to wear a tin foil hat to play this game.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited October 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    Don't you know? If another player does sometimg better then another player it is an exploit. If the devs change something the player base did not ask for it is a nerf!!

I do believe you are required to wear a tin foil hat to play this game.

Fair enough, where, prey tell, do I purchase one (on the cheap).
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    You can get a tinfoil hat from the Z-Store.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    bergins wrote: »
    You can get a tinfoil hat from the Z-Store.

News to me! Not like i haven't been looking lol
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I have the answer, I think:
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Delta_Recruitment#Delta_Recruit_and_account_rewards

Account-wide rewards:
    Equivalent crafting materials to 2x C-Store
    Equivalent crafting materials to 5x C-Store

Just learned last night from a couple friends in our private channel that people were exploiting the hell out of that, and it wasn't just R&D mats; players were making millions of refined dilithium too since 1 of the account-wide rewards was 1k dil.

Create character, get it to level 10, claim delta recruit account-wide rewards, transfer dil through dil exchange, place R&D mats in account bank or mail to yourself. Delete character, rinse and repeat. During the week long bonus XP event we had apparently romulan republic characters would be at least level 10 right after the tutorial when they get to the romulan flotilla where they could claim their DR account rewards.

But today's patch put a damper in this ever happening again, though I think it should have happened many months ago. But as usual they don't fix something until it becomes a major problem.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9623403
    The Temporal Account Claim store for Delta Recruit Unlocks now requires level 20 before captains may access it, instead of level 10.
    This means that even with a bonus XP event it would take a lot longer to get to a point where you can claim those rewards, thus discouraging players from bothering with it (hopefully).

If some players really were making hundreds of thousands or millions of dilithium by exploiting this during the bonus XP week long even I hope some action was taking against them.

This is also probably why there are so many 999 stacks of materials in the exchange causing their prices to go down.

Edit: Even without a bonus XP event it was apparently still worthwhile for some players to do this.

I'm only posting this info because the "exploit" was fixed and because people have been wanting to know for quite a while just WTF has been going on. I only wish I knew about this a lot sooner because I would have reported it.

Oh and, because of the greediness of some players, this will probably impact their decisions for any possible future Delta Recruit or similar events on what types of rewards to give us. Obligatory "This is why we can't have nice things".
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    ilithyn wrote: »

There WAS an exploit and it was finally fixed. But it will still take a while for the market to recover. With the Delta Recruits exploit finally gone, we can finally have a more honest market with regard to R&D Mats and parts.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I tested it out. I created a new KDF character a few days ago (bonus xp event) and skipped all the prologue. I was instantly level 10 which unlocked delta rewards before they were fixed. I spent a mere 2 minutes after that killing 2 guys before having access to Qo'nos social zone where you can get delta rewards. Now, had the exploit not been fixed, I would have had access to 8000 REFINED dilithium and over a dozen purple mats plus blues and tons of parts which one could easily funnel over to a main. Imagine in 5 minutes getting all of these goodies, deleting that char, creating a new one and repeating the process. Apparently tons of people did this during the last several xp events.

There is no tin foil hat on this one. There WAS an exploit, but thankfully, it's gone.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,806 Community Moderator
    To have a ton of toons is not an exploit. Currently I have 10 toons, 9 of which are level 50+ with the 10th not too far behind. I can rake in 72k dilithium per day just by running stfs and farming various daily quests. All of these toons I took the time to level with and without xp events. Once this 10th toon gets to 50 I'll be raking in 80k dilithium per day. once I get my 10th toon to max level i'll be making 560k dilithium per week assuming I don't spend any of it. by your logic i'm exploiting because I actually use all 9 soon to be 10 toons.

Now yes the Delta recruit thing can be considered an exploit which was fixed. beyond this there are tons of ways to get r&d mats. you have lockboxes, the cstore, scanning missions, doff missions, now admirality in some cases, and several others ways to get mats. Unless you're selling parts then there should be no complaints about the components going for cheap. It's fairly easy to get mats in this game. personally I'm not complaining as imo some of the mats needed to come back down to earth.

simply having a ton of toons however is no exploit.

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,645 Arc User
    Yes, that is an exploit. Alts are not, but creating 10 alts an hour to farm Delta rewards is. Cryptic should claw back the dil or even ban them.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    To have a ton of toons is not an exploit. Currently I have 10 toons, 9 of which are level 50+ with the 10th not too far behind. I can rake in 72k dilithium per day just by running stfs and farming various daily quests. All of these toons I took the time to level with and without xp events. Once this 10th toon gets to 50 I'll be raking in 80k dilithium per day. once I get my 10th toon to max level i'll be making 560k dilithium per week assuming I don't spend any of it. by your logic i'm exploiting because I actually use all 9 soon to be 10 toons.

Now yes the Delta recruit thing can be considered an exploit which was fixed. beyond this there are tons of ways to get r&d mats. you have lockboxes, the cstore, scanning missions, doff missions, now admirality in some cases, and several others ways to get mats. Unless you're selling parts then there should be no complaints about the components going for cheap. It's fairly easy to get mats in this game. personally I'm not complaining as imo some of the mats needed to come back down to earth.

This wasn't about having many characters on your account though. It was about constantly creating a character, getting it to level 10 quickly, claim the delta recruit account rewards, transfer stuff, delete the character and start over. My friend in game said he made about 1 million refined dilithum doing this during the recent bonus XP week. And among the delta recruit account rewards was a bunch of R&D materials and components.

Although it might be rather easy to get materials and components through normal gameplay, it was no where near the amount people were getting from the delta recruit account rewards exploit. If it wasn't for the exploit there would probably be a whole lot less materials and components in the exchange.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Is that guy still going on about the imaginary "exploit" to get crafting mats? SMH

So even after I pointed out how the exploit was done (since it was just fixed) you still don't think there was an exploit?

You either didn't know about it or you were using it yourself and didn't want others to know about it thinking you'd be the only one gaining an advantage from it. Well either way, it's pretty obvious that a lot of people were doing it and something had to be done about it. How else would you explain the sudden decision to increase the level requirement to 20 for claiming delta recruit account unlocks, without any explanation for the decision? If there was no exploit, why would they have even bothered making it take longer to claim those rewards?
    They could have fixed this issue, by simply eliminating any new Delta Recruit character from being made, erase 1 and viola it has to be a regular toon, and not a Delta Recruit!

• allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    How do you still create Delta Recruits? I thought this was over for months now? I can't create any (And I never did since I didn't play during the event)
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Well I feel vindicated for pointing out several weeks ago that it was impossible to grind out or R&D pack 30,000 + argonites or plektons. Or really any of the VR and rare materials.

But many on here defended these 999 trolls. To the rescue!!!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I find that my R&D DOffs routinely generate multiples of the Ejection System when crafting; perhaps this contributes to the lower actual cost than the OP's original calculation?

That's why i divided by 2 times the crit rate.

I hear the others saying that there are ways to get these components outside of crafting them, but I'm also wondering why this is such a recent change, like the last couple of months. Prices were fairly stable for a while. Also, if these missions are gone, why haven't the prices shot back up?

Well, if there is an exploit (or a trick that would give more than doffing does), I guess no one's going to tell me here. And buying components instead of mats to make kits does save me a lot of clicking.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,806 Community Moderator

This wasn't about having many characters on your account though. It was about constantly creating a character, getting it to level 10 quickly, claim the delta recruit account rewards, transfer stuff, delete the character and start over. My friend in game said he made about 1 million refined dilithum doing this during the recent bonus XP week. And among the delta recruit account rewards was a bunch of R&D materials and components.

Although it might be rather easy to get materials and components through normal gameplay, it was no where near the amount people were getting from the delta recruit account rewards exploit. If it wasn't for the exploit there would probably be a whole lot less materials and components in the exchange.

I understand what the exploit was and I get it that you could get a ton of stuff from it. Like I said it's stupid easy to get r&d mats in this game even without the exploit now. Things were going to crash back down to earth sooner or later anyways. once people ran out of things they needed to upgrade, there's less demand. once more supply was injected through the r&d cstore packs, that was going to force prices lower as demand stayed the same. more supply was was injected through lockboxes having r&d packs in them, thus more supply yet again forcing prices even lower. There are some people in this game that open a metric TRIBBLE ton of lockboxes and by extension pick up a ton of r&d boxes. Then enter the doff missions that can reward r&d mats and the packs you get at the end of missions that can also be sold on the exchange. You vastly overestimate the effect of said exploit. the prices were already well on their way down to where they are now, this exploit was minimal.

Well I feel vindicated for pointing out several weeks ago that it was impossible to grind out or R&D pack 30,000 + argonites or plektons. Or really any of the VR and rare materials.

But many on here defended these 999 trolls. To the rescue!!!

Like I said it's entirely possible to get high amounts of materials and it's by no means an exploit. What I'm seeing here is people complaining that they're not making as much ec as they used to and wanting restrictions.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User

That's why i divided by 2 times the crit rate.

I hear the others saying that there are ways to get these components outside of crafting them, but I'm also wondering why this is such a recent change, like the last couple of months. Prices were fairly stable for a while. Also, if these missions are gone, why haven't the prices shot back up?

Well, if there is an exploit (or a trick that would give more than doffing does), I guess no one's going to tell me here. And buying components instead of mats to make kits does save me a lot of clicking.

What is MOST likely or at least the biggest contributor to the depression of mat/component pricing is that the crafting system has been out for some time now and people are at a high enough levels that A) They can crit on crafting and B) Because of A, are purchasing less off of exchange and making it themselves. Youre simply witnessing the system maturing.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    They could have fixed this issue, by simply eliminating any new Delta Recruit character from being made, erase 1 and viola it has to be a regular toon, and not a Delta Recruit!

You don't create a new delta recruit, you create a normal alt and claim all delta recruit rewards at level 10 (now 20).

I don't see it as an exploit, I prefer creative use of game mechanics, and since cryptic just nerfed it instead of outright ban people it looks like that.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    I know that this is only semantics, but it definitely was an exploit.

An exploit by definition is using a product in a way not intended by the producer. That does not have to be a bad thing, nor does it have to be forbidden. Many exploits are a-ok. This one I don't think is because it gets a bit against the RPG part of the genre.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I know that this is only semantics, but it definitely was an exploit.

An exploit by definition is using a product in a way not intended by the producer. That does not have to be a bad thing, nor does it have to be forbidden. Many exploits are a-ok. This one I don't think is because it gets a bit against the RPG part of the genre.

It's just farming, you still need to get a character to level 20, that's what 2 hours? 3 hours? to get 1000 dilithium and some crafting materials which will get you what? 2-3 millions? there are easier, faster and more entertaining ways to do so.