Utopia Planitia Report 2

124»

Comments

• themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    yakodym wrote: »
    snip

LOVE the sig!​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Did someone say special plans for the Odyssey? Please do explain.
    Read the article linked at the start of this thread. Read it closely.

If you think the information is vague and unspecific, you found it. That's really all we know.

Everything else would be speculation.

Mine is that we'll see a Tier 6 Odysee (and other flagships) for the 6-year STO Anniversary or the 50 year Star Trek Anniversary. Maybe as an event ship, maybe in the C-Store, maybe both.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I am going to laugh if KDF and romulans get more battlecruisers/command battlecruisers according to this blog. When it was stated months ago by Geko that a bop was priority. I wouldn't mind though if they maybe did something for ody to maybe make a better one and put in a new KDF T6 bop and maybe a Romulan Shrike(closest semi canon ship close to a bop).
  • forvrsnoopyforvrsnoopy Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I'm interested in how they're going to handle the T6 flagships, since they all have 3-packs in the C-Store.

They'll probably release a 6000Z 3-pack, but one can hope they'll give us a more afordable solution.

At the very least, I'll know this anniversary how much my T6 Vesta is going to cost :)

(Or not since they may be more generous in the anniversary event than for the other 3-packs).
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    I agree with many others throughout this thread, it's always nice to see additional stories from Shipyard... It be very nice as one author suggested to have small hints of a coming release a few days prior to a new ship announcement, as people love the speculation and it engages people to discuss what the clues could mean... Then ship announcement 2-3 days later, then the ship stats a few day's prior to it going live. :o

It seems many have enjoyed these longer stories from Paris, Nog, and other NPCs during the season. What I'd really like to see is a few short stories from lessor NPCs like Ensign Rraak (helped us save ESD) about what he's heard, how he's enjoying his current posting, and what he's heard about his latest performance review--will he be getting promoted to Lt. J.G. anytime soon. Character development is always a good thing and it's what attracked people to the stories in TNG, DS9, and Voyager...
    0zxlclk.png
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    But then again, I'm biased against it since I never liked the 3-nacelle setup, short and fat nacelles, and the wide saucer, so I enjoyed the jab far more. For the record, I am using it as part of the bundle I purchased, and it's barely tolerable with the angled nacelles and a different saucer being the only changes I made to the base Yamato design. That said, it's nice that the new alternate hulls all look much better than the original two the old Galaxy-X had access to.

Hyperionx09 I full heartedly agree with you it's VERY nice they finally revised the Galaxy-X to look like it did in the last few episodes of TNG and the work done was excellent. Yet I didn't like the addition of the third warp drive back then and still don't now, yet I do love the far greater saucer and hull design. I just don't know I'd want to buy the Andromedia to get it so I think my next ship may be the T6 Andromedia not the T6 Galaxy-X.

0zxlclk.png
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    kyrrok wrote: »
    With any luck those special plans for the Odyssey replacement include making it look like the now-abandoned original Star Cruiser line.
    sto_starcruiser.jpg

I don't know about that. most of those look ugly. I'm used to giving my Klingon ships beauty contest exemptions, not Starfleet ships.

The Klingon flagship could do with a remodel. Something smaller, more agile, and with a good cloak. Klingon ships don't really need to be as big as the Scimitar. 3/4 the size, not including the wings should be good enough.
    Maybe you weren't around for the anniversary event where we first got the Odyssey, but she is a Star Cruiser. Unfortunately, they had that stupid contest so we did not get any appearance customization options. Since every Federation Exploration class derived ship has the option of looking like the Galaxy, and every iteration of the Excelsior can look like the original, and every other Fed ship gets parts to look like its predecessors if the player chooses, parity requires that the new Star Cruiser variant include appearance options to make it look like the beautiful Star Cruiser line,
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    I'm interested in how they're going to handle the T6 flagships, since they all have 3-packs in the C-Store.

They'll probably release a 6000Z 3-pack, but one can hope they'll give us a more afordable solution.

At the very least, I'll know this anniversary how much my T6 Vesta is going to cost :)

(Or not since they may be more generous in the anniversary event than for the other 3-packs).

The point everyone seems to be missing is that regardless of cost, these 3 packs are the only complete at purchase ships in the game, not needing a Fleet version to get the rest of the ship.

I'm hoping that they start doing this with all ships in the store, it would generate more sales among the Casual Players.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    A good read, but I found the dig on people's genunce concerns about the Phaser Spinal Lance being off-center kinda...lame?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Mine is that we'll see a Tier 6 Odyssey (and other flagships) for the 6-year STO Anniversary or the 50 year Star Trek Anniversary. Maybe as an event ship, maybe in the C-Store, maybe both.​​

Boy I hope you're right. The Samsar was a cool ship (and I use it for one of my more unusual KDF alts) but I really missed the faction-specific ships for the 5th anniversary. The anniversary Odyssey and Ambassador class (and the Kamarag too), despite not being upgradeable to T5-U, are still among my favourite ships. The 50th anniversary needs something really special - a T6 Odyssey and corresponding faction-specific flagships would be perfect. The T6 Heavy Destroyers were a lovely surprise, and a very stylish upgrade for those ships (the Odyssey and Bortas are already among the best looking original designs in STO, I'd be salivating to see how they might be polished even further) but T6 flagships for the anniversary would be a really fabulous gesture enabling all the player base to enjoy them (by all means add C-Store variants afterwards too, but faction-specific free ships are always very much appreciated).

And just to echo folks above, these little story blogs are really excellent! They really add to the immersion, big thanks again to the STO writing team!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    Very entertaining read, particularly the meta jokes/jabs.

T6 Oddy? I'm listening...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Ya know, they make a good argument regarding the teasing of future starships through the Utopia Planitia zone map. In fact, I'd take it further by borrowing the dropped concept on the Captain's Table map. The Concierge used to tease Captains about story missions not yet available. Something lost in the shuffle years ago and that I miss a lot. Place these blog NPC's on the U.P. social map and let us witness the banter directly from time to time. Text only, of course, This wouldn't be anything we need voice-over or cut scenes for.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • namreefnamreef Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Please for the love of Q, get whoever is writing these blogs to write us some episodes with these two in them, because geezus. I enjoy them greatly. Also, we need more characters that stick around for awhile.

Planitia Shipyards interactive zone. Each week or two weeks, tidbits of info hinting at new and upcoming ships as well as design studies for possible new ships (basically ships that Cryptic might be interested in doing, but may as well tease to gauge interest before even starting work on them) are dropped as construction/refit/overhaul logs in the databases and you can also interact with the duo, who will be mostly polite towards you as you may be one of those Admirals they have to suck up to and design/upgrade a ship for. Of course, a minor bit of snark coming from them that may or may not echo the sentiment of a Dev/Programmer would occasionally come out as a stray comment, matching that of the blogs.

I like this idea! Kinda like having a Memory Alpha return...

• archeybald1archeybald1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    Ya know, they make a good argument regarding the teasing of future starships through the Utopia Planitia zone map. In fact, I'd take it further by borrowing the dropped concept on the Captain's Table map. The Concierge used to tease Captains about story missions not yet available. Something lost in the shuffle years ago and that I miss a lot. Place these blog NPC's on the U.P. social map and let us witness the banter directly from time to time. Text only, of course, This wouldn't be anything we need voice-over or cut scenes for.

You mean I'm not the only one here aware of the Captain's Table?

And are you saying there is already a Utopia Planitia (and I missed seeing it somewhere), or that having one would be a good idea?

I like this idea! Kinda like having a Memory Alpha return...
    I think is would be neat to have Memory Alpha again serve some aspect of R&D, considering its purpose in Canon, maybe also as a place for old missions, some sort of "historical archives" perhaps?

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    The Utopia Planitia map was created long ago as part of a publicity stunt they did for the release of the original Oddy.

BUT, it was only available during a special anniversary mission.... and the Foundry.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg