test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Utopia Planitia Report 2

Comments

• Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    Elyos sat back down and said, “Even straightened out the phaser lance array.”
    Well played Cryptic. Well played. :p
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    With any luck those special plans for the Odyssey replacement include making it look like the now-abandoned original Star Cruiser line.
    sto_starcruiser.jpg
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I absolutely loved this blog. Thank you Cryptic!
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    I just wanted to compliment the writing for the Utopia Planitia stories regarding new ships. Good characterization and spin of your own game mechanics as Treknobabble. When done fluidly it can draw a player deeper into your game world.

However, I'd like to suggest these stories should precede the blogs that announce the ship. Followed by the stat blogs. Releasing them as they are suggests Star Trek immersion is secondary to the all important stats. IMO. the more Trek blogs should always come first to maintain the name of your game.
    1. Story Blog
    2. New Starship Announcement
    3. Starship Stats Blog
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    dhiemmdhiemm Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    bunansa wrote: »
    Do Romulans get a flagship finally for the updated oddy and obv the bortas....

Before everyone says...you have the SCIMITAR...I would like to easily point out a few fun facts

1, It is a Reman designed ship
    2, WE Romulans have no way of obtaining a command vessel like the basic oddy or bortas from the shipyard
    3, We Romulans still don't have a fleet uniform to go with the oddy uniform or bortas uniform

Cant I be a 2/3 fraction instead of a 1/3 fraction

Yes romulans don't have command array powers. Instead they get singularity powers which are a lot more useful.

Really the singularity powers are a lot more useful ? that is very funny

DHIEMM.png

Join date July 08
  • Options
    weltraumkommandoweltraumkommando Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    All these story posts by cryptic, the writing is just so poor. It's miss literati bad.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    With any luck those special plans for the Odyssey replacement include making it look like the now-abandoned original Star Cruiser line.
    sto_starcruiser.jpg

I don't know about that. most of those look ugly. I'm used to giving my Klingon ships beauty contest exemptions, not Starfleet ships.

The Klingon flagship could do with a remodel. Something smaller, more agile, and with a good cloak. Klingon ships don't really need to be as big as the Scimitar. 3/4 the size, not including the wings should be good enough.
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    What about T6 Enterprise Connie
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    zulisvel wrote: »
    Elyos sat back down and said, “Even straightened out the phaser lance array.”
    Well played Cryptic. Well played. :p

Uh, no they did not. I just looked at the Lance, it's now crooked in the VERTICAL. I.E. It's pointing up.

Of course, I reported it to the artist and basically he said he's not going to fix it. So wonder how long til we get an artist who cares about his work and fixes it properly?
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    I'm not sure how seriously I should take this blog...

But it was fun.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Great blog. Am I the only one who caught the hint to the T6 defiant ships with the why not upgrade smaller ships line. On a side note, now I want to be able to go to U.P. just to be able to get the UR quality sweet potato fries.
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Please for the love of Q, get whoever is writing these blogs to write us some episodes with these two in them, because geezus. I enjoy them greatly. Also, we need more characters that stick around for awhile.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Please for the love of Q, get whoever is writing these blogs to write us some episodes with these two in them, because geezus. I enjoy them greatly. Also, we need more characters that stick around for awhile.

Planitia Shipyards interactive zone. Each week or two weeks, tidbits of info hinting at new and upcoming ships as well as design studies for possible new ships (basically ships that Cryptic might be interested in doing, but may as well tease to gauge interest before even starting work on them) are dropped as construction/refit/overhaul logs in the databases and you can also interact with the duo, who will be mostly polite towards you as you may be one of those Admirals they have to suck up to and design/upgrade a ship for. Of course, a minor bit of snark coming from them that may or may not echo the sentiment of a Dev/Programmer would occasionally come out as a stray comment, matching that of the blogs.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    laferrari1 wrote: »
    The "kemocite" line was a really bad joke. That means you are perfectly aware that those "lot of" captains use it because it's bugged, but still haven't done anything to fix it.

What a shame because I was about to start STO, you made me quit the launcher nice and clean. Good job.

Let me try a more constructive tactic.

Why does this upset you so much?

Little details hint how much the devs actuyally take care of the game. They still haven't fixed the Avenger's left nacelles's armor, they never came back fixing the spinal lance of the Galaxy-X after releasing it one year ago in the bundle, the Presidio has the glowing nacelle FX badly misaligned since release, again never came back to fix it. Now the kemocite: we all know that it's totally, absolutely bugged and as a result overpowered, reason why it sells for so much. Still that line hints that they are perfectly aware of this situation, but are not doing anything about it.
    The other possible explanation would be that they don't read the forums or bug reports, which is even worse.
    Post edited by laferrari1 on
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    dracondarknightdracondarknight Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    dhiemm wrote: »

Before everyone says...you have the SCIMITAR...I would like to easily point out a few fun facts

2, WE Romulans have no way of obtaining a command vessel like the basic oddy or bortas from the shipyard
    3, We Romulans still don't have a fleet uniform to go with the oddy uniform or bortas uniform

Yes romulans don't have command array powers. Instead they get singularity powers which are a lot more useful.

Really the singularity powers are a lot more useful ? that is very funny

If you know how to use them they are.
    Point is the romulan faction has something no other faction has and is now crying out to get the exact thing the other factions got as compensation

Romulan greed?

Edit:
    Furthermore...
    ALL romulan ships can use singularity abilities. Only a few non romulan can use Command powers though.
    Post edited by dracondarknight on
  • Options
    albertwesker45albertwesker45 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    i hope the t6 odyssey will be for everyone to get i still have my 2 year anniversary odyssey from before
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    “... Kelvans? [...] Metrons? [...] Excalbians? The whale probe that showed up in the late 23rd? ...”

Some hints about things to come maybe?

"I’d think that it would be more effective to start with refits to the smaller vessels."

Upgrades for smaller ships somewhere down the line (like the Defiant)?

“My guess is that Command has special plans for the Odyssey.”

Wanna hear moooore! :3

About the Yamato:
    Good to hear that the spinal lance is not some patchwork to solve regular overloads in her phaser arrays XXD

Good read :smile:
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Sorry, but I just have to say this.

T6 Whale Probe, confirmed!
    :P
    kelettes wrote: »

Some hints about things to come maybe?

More seriously I think it's just about opening things up to possibilities the player may not have thought about in a while (regardless of whether any of those are actually used for any upcoming season.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The "kemocite" line was a really bad joke. That means you are perfectly aware that those "lot of" captains use it because it's bugged, but still haven't done anything to fix it.

What a shame because I was about to start STO, you made me quit the launcher nice and clean. Good job.

Let me try a more constructive tactic.

Why does this upset you so much?
    Little details hint how much the devs actuyally take care of the game. They still haven't fixed the Avenger's left nacelles's armor, they never came back fixing the spinal lance of the Galaxy-X after releasing it one year ago in the bundle, the Presidio has the glowing nacelle FX badly misaligned since release, again never came back to fix it. Now the kemocite: we all know that it's totally, absolutely bugged and as a result overpowered, reason why it sells for so much. Still that line hints that they are perfectly aware of this situation, but are not doing anything about it.
    The orher possible explanation would be that they don't read the forums or bug reports, which is even worse.
    There's a difference between not working on a fix and not finishing the fix yet. But we can't see the difference.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    A very nice bit of story to keep us hooked for the next ship release.

I would love it if the devs would add the Utopia Planitia shipyards as a permanent in-game location for characters to visit. When we arrive at the Sol system from sector space a pop-up menu could appear so that we can select either ESD/Starfleet Academy or select the Utopia Planitia shipyards.

This would also give the devs a place to show off all the available ships (even more ship than what we see from the ESD shipyard interior windows).

Not only that, but if the devs wanted to you could occasionally use Utopia Planitia for "Easter eggs" of half-built ships ... giving players a hint of what the next ship will be.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    hoellchef wrote: »
    Whetu let a dissatisfied snort through her nose. “Really? The Hestia is hot off the gantries and they still want more?”

Priceless.

Reminds me of those DS9 episodes where everyone constantly yells at poor O'brien to fix the replicators again. Oh the joys of being an engineer lol.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    Loved all the in jokes like many others here
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User

I said nothing about command array powers, which should have as well...I am talking about a flagship for the romulans....for 200k fleet credit a fed or kdf member can purchase the basic version of the oddy or bortas from a tier 5 shipyard....we have no such ability, since we have no such ship,

Things Romulans are missing
    proper flagship romulan designed not reman
    the nemesis uniform
    proper science vessel that has a turn rate more then 6
    Donatra (she is a borg and long long ago the devs said we were going to finish that story for her...)
    fleet uniform i.e. the oddy and bortas uniforms from the fleet tailor store, we cant wear either and have none of our own

tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Agreed, Romulans need a fleet uniform of their own :smile:

As for Nemesis: maybe I'm remembering wrong, but Romulans were wearing the Tal Shiar outfit.
    Both it, as well as the Reman Nemesis uniform, are already available in-game.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    Agreed, Romulans need a fleet uniform of their own :smile:

As for Nemesis: maybe I'm remembering wrong, but Romulans were wearing the Tal Shiar outfit.
    Both it, as well as the Reman Nemesis uniform, are already available in-game.

Nope: http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Romulan_uniform

The Reman uniform is available, the Romulan is not. Only TNG and TOS versions. Not even DS9, neither military uniform nor the senatorial civvies.​​
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    sto_starcruiser.jpg
    I hope that one day, we'll see a real space whale again. I think I'd love a new Tier 6 Star Cruiser...​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    I like the idea behind this kind of thing--providing an in-character sort of perspective to the development cycle. I'd also like to see non-Federations perspectives represented as well.
  • Options
    furlong359furlong359 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    “Meanwhile,” said Elyos, “We have our own orders: Update the Galaxy dreadnought and make sure we don’t fall behind. Hence this capability comparison.”

Whetu leaned back in her seat, still holding PADD in one hand and sweet potato fry in the other. “Isn’t that ship getting a little long in the tooth?
    :::
    Unlike the Excelsior whose way past her own time yet she gets an update more often then not..
    PS: Love the blog! Still waiting for my t6 Sovy
  • Options
    roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Did someone say special plans for the Odyssey? Please do explain.
    sto_starcruiser.jpg

I remember those fondly. They were a great group of ships. I image they were the last group of explorers before the war with the Klingons started.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah starcruisers have some nice kitbash options. I made mine look like a sort of lizard.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg